Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's not just me that noticed that the sequel to worm is about taking down a cape whose power helps her bend other capes to her will, right

Ten bucks she's the earth shin Taylor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's not just me that noticed that the sequel to worm is about taking down a cape whose power helps her bend other capes to her will, right

all of the villains of ward are masters. the whole books about trauma and recovery and specifically the trauma of taylor.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

lurksion posted:

I don't remember this being true a single time in Guide

Not directly shown, sure, but the legendary hero or general or king inspiring a demoralized army and leading victory is definitely a thing that happens in stories. If you don't do the trappings of being a heroic leader, then you stop being considered a heroic leader by the story. It's a weakness, sure, but not doing it might make an upcoming battle go worse instead, for example.

Teriferin
Oct 30, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Goddess is actually a member of a cluster trigger from Earth Bet. Contessa dumped her on Earth Shin for some reason.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Teriferin posted:

Goddess is actually a member of a cluster trigger from Earth Bet. Contessa dumped her on Earth Shin for some reason.

rear end balls

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It would have been rad as hell for the final villain of Ward to be a version of Taylor who never made ant pretense about what she was doing and why and was just explicitly an rear end in a top hat

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Also isn't Goddess explicitly platinum blonde (or something) and looks nothing like Taylor? Plus the fact that the split occurs too early for there to likely be many copies of people Taylor's age.

edit: Hahah I asked about there being a Hakram interlude and the very next chapter is one

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 8, 2018

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

the divergence point for the universes is variable, the one you are thinking of is the difference between bet and aleph, but gimel was mostly people free and cheit diverged hundreds of years ago

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

Also isn't Goddess explicitly platinum blonde (or something) and looks nothing like Taylor? Plus the fact that the split occurs too early for there to likely be many copies of people Taylor's age.

edit: Hahah I asked about there being a Hakram interlude and the very next chapter is one

Parallel universe bitch

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I caught up with Pracguide, and every time I look at the comments I find myself relieved that the author doesn't take any inspiration from them. They're constantly full of people talking about characters changing their Names in the most contrived, cringey ways. Like, seriously, look at this lol:

quote:

would Cathrine naming Vivienne her successor, like officially, make her a capital p Princess (of Callow)? Something like
“Princess of Shadows” or “Black Princess of Night”

Honestly, reading the comments to web serials actually makes me astounded that stuff like PracGuide or wildbow's stuff even manage to be as decent and highly rated as they are, given the audience.

violent sex idiot posted:

the divergence point for the universes is variable, the one you are thinking of is the difference between bet and aleph, but gimel was mostly people free and cheit diverged hundreds of years ago

Oh, that's right. Still no reason to think Goddess is Taylor (or at least not any more of a reason to think so than to think any other random person on another Earth is).

(Goddess's form of control is also completely different from Taylor's; it's a "soft" sort of control (that, as shown with Victoria, can actually be pretty weak if people have protocols in place to deal with such a situation) that doesn't directly control peoples' actions, and it only apples to parahumans.)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

every time I look at the comments

Honestly, reading the comments to web serials

Why would you do this to yourself?

The only comments that a web serial would ever be improved by following are ones that fix typos.

Teriferin
Oct 30, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It would have been rad as hell for the final villain of Ward to be a version of Taylor who never made ant pretense about what she was doing and why and was just explicitly an rear end in a top hat

If you really want a version of Taylor to be sticking around, you could assume that Ratcatcher is a rebranded Scurry, one of Taylor's Echidna clones.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Ratcatcher's powers kind of confuse me. I remember early on it was mentioned she can see where "small things" are or something, and apparently she can also hear what rats tell her. A cluster thing maybe? Since those seem like fairly unrelated powers.

The mention of Ratcatcher reminds me of that one cape who was just mentioned off-hand when she was introduced who has one of the most ridiculously OP powers I can think of - that guy who can split his mind to focus on countless things at the same time and slow down his perception of time to the extent that he can spend hours studying a single point in the window of a second. I'm not sure if wildbow really thought that through, since that power is pretty ludicrous in practice (it was shown just as a "makes him good at noticing things" sort of thing, but it would also be a ridiculous combat thinker power).

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Why would you do this to yourself?

The only comments that a web serial would ever be improved by following are ones that fix typos.

I was curious to see what people thought of the recent events with Thief/Hakram.

Speaking of which, it was nice to get confirmation that Hakram isn't totally a sociopath (though he is an extremely weird guy), and it's nice that he realized that they actually needed to listen more seriously to Thief instead of just attempting to appease her (and he pointed out something I had thought about regarding how the Woe hasn't had any serious disagreements about major things any time recently, and have been making a lot of "we don't have any other option" type choices).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 9, 2018

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

New PracGuide. Oh. Holy. gently caress! Pun absolutely intended. This had better not be a loving cliffhanger!(it will absolutely a cliffhanger)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

that boats gotta explode right? blacks whole group was goblins so he's probably got whatever's left of three legions of munitions. also christ pilgrims an rear end in a top hat

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

No!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

YOU CHEATING MOTHERFUCKERS

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

when heroes are cheating they lose their plot armor i think

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
PracGuide: Realistically, Black wasn't going to make it out of the story alive; it just turned out he wasn't as clever as he thought he was and lost to people playing at the same league (IIRC Black, Saint and Pilgrim are all 60 years old? He still styled all over Cordelia though).

As someone in the comments pointed out, Black only expected to live one or two more years in the previous book and both he and Cat pointed out that a scheme like Bonfire would get a heroic kill team on their asses (and Black has cut through Procer like a knife while abusing his aspect) so a reprisal was expected.

On the other hand, it's possible that Cat (or Ranger or Warlock) can now go to Tariq or Laurence and say: "My name is Catherine Foundling. You killed my mentor, prepare to die." and have the upper hand.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Black had days to plan after the plague started, and is noted to be out of power when he should have recovered. So what exactly did he do as his last stand.

I'm thinking Pilgram will find his plague is not as contained as he thinks it is.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

that boats gotta explode right? blacks whole group was goblins so he's probably got whatever's left of three legions of munitions. also christ pilgrims an rear end in a top hat

This isn�t three legions but it is Ranker and 2000 men (mostly sappers I believe). So yes the boat will explode.

Grem and Eudokia and the rest of the legions are still alive.

Also echoing that heroes are the real assholes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I still want a non-rear end in a top hat (or stupid) hero to show up at some point. The only ones we've met have joined Cat. Though I guess you could consider Cat's "faction" as not really aligned with Good or Evil in the typical sense, so Thief is basically an example of what I'm describing.

Actually, Cat and Thief are arguably the only truly atypical heroes and villains, now that I think about it. Most of the Woe isn't really atypical; they just like Cat and want to stay with her since she's basically their family at this point.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Gladi posted:

I am taking break from TWI for this. Please, could you post in thread when the story thread plays out?

Yes it is still less terrible than a lot of what is happening in other works of fiction, but this TWI, and I read it primed for Erin's zany hijinks.

I assume the story thread in question was the one about the Flooded Water tribe? That has ended out for now, with a slight cliffhanger.
The last three chapters have been about Lyonette and Pawn, with a helping of Mrsha and Apista.

Regarding an earlier discussion in this thread, I have only found TWI because the first volume showed up in my kindle suggestions, otherwise I wouldn't even have considered reading a web-serial.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

I still want a non-rear end in a top hat (or stupid) hero to show up at some point. The only ones we've met have joined Cat. Though I guess you could consider Cat's "faction" as not really aligned with Good or Evil in the typical sense, so Thief is basically an example of what I'm describing.

Actually, Cat and Thief are arguably the only truly atypical heroes and villains, now that I think about it. Most of the Woe isn't really atypical; they just like Cat and want to stay with her since she's basically their family at this point.

Part of being Named is to feel like you're right. That your opinion and view on creation is more important than anyone's (though it might be a narrow opinion). That doesn't lend itself to compromise.

Also it's sort of like the modern equivalent of being a political agent. Your power and prestige are all tied up in your party/interest groups/stances. You can't easily change that without your base of power turning on you. There aren't many independent senators/congressmen in the USA, and I think it Good vs Evil with named is the same way.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New Prac Guide

Cat begins building her Winter Court, having the Drow auction themselves to her in exchange for title and power in the winter court. Drow Fae are a hell of a thing to contemplate.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm slowly catching up on Ward and now that it's been going a while I kind of like how much of it is about dealing with the trauma of being a superhero instead of super antics

The big set piece of arc 8 is a goddamn panel show, and I love it

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Practical Guide musings

Cat seems like she's making two big mistakes right now that could come back to bite her, both of which she has personally seen in the recent past and should be cognizant of. First, keeping Diabolist on a leash. Not only is the monster slipping the leash and devouring its master a classic Villain downfall, it is EXACTLY the story that Cat used to get a leg up against Diabolist in their last fight! No matter how much Cat reiterates that she doesn't trust Akua, she continues to grant her more freedom and power. This seems like an obvious mistake, to the point of cliche.

That leads into the second mistake, which is using Akua (and now Ivah as well) to soak up the fae-ness that comes with using Winter. When she claimed the mantle in full against Diabolist, she explicitly was dealing with the need to personally take responsibility for the consequences of her choices. But now she's back to pushing the bill down the table, and by using Diabolist to ease her own burden she is only making the threat there greater.

These mistakes seem to be so obviously combining to lead to an Akua betrayal that I wonder if it's not intentional, part of some greater plan to scam the system. Maybe she'll use Akua claiming the mantle as a way to become mortal again when it's all over or something, with some plan in place to immediately incapacitate her.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silynt posted:

Practical Guide musings

Cat seems like she's making two big mistakes right now that could come back to bite her, both of which she has personally seen in the recent past and should be cognizant of. First, keeping Diabolist on a leash. Not only is the monster slipping the leash and devouring its master a classic Villain downfall, it is EXACTLY the story that Cat used to get a leg up against Diabolist in their last fight! No matter how much Cat reiterates that she doesn't trust Akua, she continues to grant her more freedom and power. This seems like an obvious mistake, to the point of cliche.

That leads into the second mistake, which is using Akua (and now Ivah as well) to soak up the fae-ness that comes with using Winter. When she claimed the mantle in full against Diabolist, she explicitly was dealing with the need to personally take responsibility for the consequences of her choices. But now she's back to pushing the bill down the table, and by using Diabolist to ease her own burden she is only making the threat there greater.

These mistakes seem to be so obviously combining to lead to an Akua betrayal that I wonder if it's not intentional, part of some greater plan to scam the system. Maybe she'll use Akua claiming the mantle as a way to become mortal again when it's all over or something, with some plan in place to immediately incapacitate her.

The Diabolist situation almost seems so incredibly obvious that I'm partially expecting it to somehow not bite her in the rear end. I have trouble believing that Cat is really that stupid/naive, though some of her internal monologues make it clear that she actually does have to make some effort to remind herself that Diabolist is a really bad person.

That being said, I 100% agree about her decision to offload responsibility for some of the harmful effects of Winter likely causing problems later.

(not really sure why I spoiled things since they aren't in reference to really recent chapters, but just in case)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
New Ward is definitely a thing.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

New Ward is definitely a thing.

Yup. As much as I was rooting for Goddess to die and this whole mind control business to be over with, that was a little too abrupt for my tastes. This seems like a HUGE personality swing for Amy, and I'm not sure how she intends to take over a deeply traumatized developed world (who apparently know a lot about powers) without Goddess' mass mind control. Maybe - MAYBE - with Goddess dead, all her power reverts to the battery lady that we haven't met yet? I'm hoping we get an interlude with her (Chris would also be acceptable) next so that we get some explanations.

Still, even if I felt it could have used some pruning, that arc was a hell of a ride. It's too bad Yamada's still missing, these guys are gonna need some serious therapy now.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm confused about what Amy wants to do here. Not like, morally or whatever, though there's definitely a discussion to be had there too. But she really has never seemed like either a leader or more importantly someone who WANTS to be a leader in any form. Her passivity and willingness to go along with other people's plans and ideas was one of her defining traits in Worm and the Dot interlude didn't make her look any more sure of herself. I can see why she'd want to go to Shin and get away from everything, but I'm not sure why she'd bring a bunch of capes along with her, especially villains. Pragmatic reasons i.e. she figures she's a target? It's something I have trouble wrapping my head around. What's Marquis's thoughts on all this I wonder.

I also wonder if Chris will end up going along with her or if the narrative will intervene in some way. It would be weird to have him separated from Breakthrough to such a great extent when not only us readers but apparently the entirety Breakthrough don't REALLY know what his deal is. Especially since he's basically the only member of the group we don't know a lot about yet.

E: Also yeah, it seemed like Goddess still had at least one member of her cluster still alive, so...that seems like it could be a bad time for everyone. I won't complain about Goddess going down like that since I felt like poo poo had to go down before the chapter finished once I saw we were still on Gleaming. And it was a little annoying to follow when Breakthrough were all mastered. I do feel like Goddess didn't end up as thoroughly characterized as I'd expected her to be for the size and impact of her role in the story though.

E2: Also now we might never know what the deal she and Amy had was all about, neither seemed like they were very comfortable with it and I'm not sure why Goddess risked having her so close if she didn't have Amy mastered. Which combined with Chris leaving if he does, makes me suspect we might get Amy POV soon.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 13, 2018

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What the gently caress is this chapter :psyduck:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

E2: Also now we might never know what the deal she and Amy had was all about, neither seemed like they were very comfortable with it and I'm not sure why Goddess risked having her so close if she didn't have Amy mastered. Which combined with Chris leaving if he does, makes me suspect we might get Amy POV soon.

Yeah, this is a big question mark to me. While Goddess mentioned wanting "clear-headed" advisers, Amy isn't exactly the sort of person you'd naturally want in that role. She isn't exactly known for being clever or assertive. Amy also can't use her power on herself, so there's nothing stopping Goddess from "aligning" her. And her "aligning" has also been shown to be subtle enough that it doesn't even really impair people that much; it just makes them think Goddess is their best buddy who they're loyal towards (and it's already been shown that you can't get people to do things they're fundamentally unwilling to do with it; like Victoria, or whoever it was, being unwilling to kill for Goddess even when aligned).

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

amy could design a symbiote to live in her brain excreting a dont get aligned chemical or a layer of things on her skin for the same

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

amy could design a symbiote to live in her brain excreting a dont get aligned chemical or a layer of things on her skin for the same

I suppose, though at that point the limit of Amy's powers is basically "whatever wildbow wants to decide is the limit organisms can have." Like, she could also make biosuits that let her shoot organism-lasers, or all sorts of absurd things.

Her power is actually kind of inherently bizarre, because it's very unclear how her building blocks would be limited, given the wide variety of molecules that compose various organisms.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I suppose, though at that point the limit of Amy's powers is basically "whatever wildbow wants to decide is the limit organisms can have." Like, she could also make biosuits that let her shoot organism-lasers, or all sorts of absurd things.

Her power is actually kind of inherently bizarre, because it's very unclear how her building blocks would be limited, given the wide variety of molecules that compose various organisms.

I don't really agree. Before the whole food situation I would agree - we don't really see her counter parahuman effects like that previously in the story, even Bonesaw's mist while created by biotinkering was presumably a normal chemical reaction that could be countered. We didn't have any real reason to think Goddess's power could be countered in the same way besides the fact that Amy didn't seem to be mastered before. But once the drugged food was introduced we knew that the effect could be counteracted through ingesting some kind of actual, material agent into the body - and from there it seems not the slightest bit strange to me that Amy could use her power to counteract it as well in some way. Doesn't seem any different from how she countered the aforementioned mist in Worm.

Honestly the drugged food thing kinda weirds me out too though and doesn't match with how I expected powers to work, especially weird since it seemed mostly irrelevant to Bianca's eventual demise besides making her mad at Breakthrough so it feels like it could have just...not been a thing.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 14, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't really agree. Before the whole food situation I would agree - we don't really see her counter parahuman effects like that previously in the story, even Bonesaw's mist while created by biotinkering was presumably a normal chemical reaction that could be countered. We didn't have any real reason to think Goddess's power could be countered in the same way besides the fact that Amy didn't seem to be mastered before. But once the drugged food was introduced we knew that the effect could be counteracted through ingesting some kind of actual, material agent into the body - and from there it seems not the slightest bit strange to me that Amy could use her power to counteract it as well in some way. Doesn't seem any different from how she countered the aforementioned mist in Worm.

Honestly the drugged food thing kinda weirds me out too though and doesn't match with how I expected powers to work, especially weird since it seemed mostly irrelevant to Bianca's eventual demise besides making her mad at Breakthrough so it feels like it could have just...not been a thing.

Ah, I somehow forgot about the drugged food, despite it just being mentioned recently. Yeah, that does imply some biochemical thing, which is kind of weird for the reasons you mentioned. You can kinda stretch things by taking into account that (IIRC) the drugs were maid by Teacher's pseudo-tinkers, so they could potentially have some sort of power-stuff going on with them (and it's not inconceivable Teacher could have gotten access to some aligned individuals so his pseudotinker army could study them). But I agree that it's kind of awkward and weird.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

its been shown that chemical agents can gently caress with powers way back in the slaughterhouse nine arc of worm

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up with the last couple Ward chapters, and Damsel is just kind of pitiful. It must really suck for Ashley having to be around the literal incarnation of her sort of dangerously chuunibyou tendencies.

edit: The Wretch is really a pretty big downgrade to Victoria's previous manifestation of her powerset, at least until she gets control over it (if that's possible in the first place). It basically eliminates a bunch of the ways she could previously use super-strength (she can't easily use it to lift things like she used to, and she can't use it directly offensively easily without risking maiming someone).

its been shown that chemical agents can gently caress with powers way back in the slaughterhouse nine arc of worm

What specifically are you thinking of? Can't remember the specifics of that arc.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 15, 2018

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think Slashley is hilarious, personally. Excessively melodramatic chuuni characters are always the best. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

What specifically are you thinking of? Can't remember the specifics of that arc.

bonesaw had that aerosolized powder that just turned off the bit of the brain that controls powers, as well as building immunity to cherish's mastery into the rest of the s9