Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just glad all the games and poo poo just go with the anime for Super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

snickothemule posted:

I like how you described Broly as a tragic figure to a degree, how rough must that life be where you are so genetically gifted that you become a wrecking ball for someone's revenge. That's a lonely existence.

gently caress I want to see this movie so badly! (really hope we see some glances of Grandpa Gohan)

That and Broly may now be the reason why the kill order was received. Frieza easily overhears about a baby that is that has a loving ridiculous power-level, fears the Super Saiyan of Legend, takes this info to Beerus who after the whole pillow thing is ready to okay any excuse for destruction, falls asleep mid business call and thus Frieza's breaks his toys.

How many of these ideas do you think Toyotaro personally gave to the writing staff/toriyama and rejected them for the anime?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I feel like every arc of the manga has had one good thing amidst all the crap that should have been in the show: the Trunkses beating Beerus at Mario Kart, Ultra Instinct Roshi, uh... that might be it, actually.

Ribrianne being really into Krillin.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Rudoku posted:

Ribrianne being really into Krillin.

Wait, so it went from STOP TALKIN poo poo ABOUT KRILLIN to NO ONE TAKES MY MAN?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rirse posted:

Just glad all the games and poo poo just go with the anime for Super.

there was really never any chance they'd go with the manga

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Crabtree posted:

Wait, so it went from STOP TALKIN poo poo ABOUT KRILLIN to NO ONE TAKES MY MAN?

It was more WHAT'S AN UGLY BITCH LIKE YOU DOING WITH THAT FINE PIECE OVER THERE? Then they both get taken out by the invisible dude or the little bug guy (I forgot which one).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This chapter is pretty much a lateral move from the anime in terms of badness.

It's too bad both versions of the story decided nothing about Toppo gets to matter, and we already had Gohan's dumbass double KO with Kefla instead so it's not like Dyspo had any more relevance.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

there was really never any chance they'd go with the manga

There wouldn’t really be a point. It’s mostly the same thing but with less stuff

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Blockhouse posted:

It's too bad both versions of the story decided nothing about Toppo gets to matter, and we already had Gohan's dumbass double KO with Kefla instead so it's not like Dyspo had any more relevance.

Toppo loving rocked in the anime though both because his turning into a destroyer shows how truly scary powerful they can be and also because it gave our main man Geetz a chance to shine and sparkle

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also Gohan's fight with Dyspo taught Frieza the value of teamwork and self sacrifice

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I have literally never heard of an S-cell before. Anyways, is the implication for the new trailer that Broly’s father helped Frieza’s plan to destroy the saiyan planet?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

No he says theyre sending broly off and it seems like he follows him to raise him up for revenge.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alan_Shore posted:

It's like the Manga is going out of its way to scrub out all the best, memorable stuff from the anime. What is he doing?

Both the anime and manga adapt Toriyama's script in whatever ways their writers feel appropiate. The main issue is that the anime has actual professionals who, sure, get a miss once in a while, but mostly know what they're doing. The manga has a lovely fanboy that writes for lovely fanboys. A lot of what happens in the manga seems directly aimed at the Kanzenshuu crowd, the idiots who are stuck on a purely nostalgia-based version of DBZ that had nothing to do with reality, and that hate such things as "power level inconsistencies" (when power levels never mattered and this allows non-Gokus to do poo poo) or "Vegeta not being an rear end in a top hat" (when...yeah, Vegeta's so much better nowadays). They also want explanations for everything, even if said explanations are complete nonsense and even if Toriyama never explained poo poo and it worked better that way, hence the ridiculous Future Trunks chapter that was a HxH-level textdump about how time travel works (said explanation was taken word-by-word from Chrono Trigger, which is good, but presented in a far worse way).

Basically, Toyotaro can't write for poo poo and under no circumstances he should've been given the level of power over the franchise he has now. I have no idea what Shueisha (since I doubt this was Toriyama's idea) was thinking when they got him there. If they really wanted to get a doujinshi writer since they'd have knowledge of the franchise, DragonGarowLEE was a far superior choice, since he actually gets why Dragon Ball works and most of his stuff feels like Dragon Ball, except maybe for the whole "actually likes Yamcha and treats him decently" thing (between his doujinshi, Dragon Ball x Saitama is excellent and fully recommended and Cho Vegeta Den is a bit dumb at first but gets pretty good, sadly it's unfinished. He also has an official Dragon Ball work in the Yamcha Isekai thing that's absolutely worth the read).

At this point I feel I would've rather had YoungJiji. He's even worse than Toyotaro writing-wise but at least he can actually draw.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Toppo loving rocked in the anime though both because his turning into a destroyer shows how truly scary powerful they can be and also because it gave our main man Geetz a chance to shine and sparkle

Toppo in the anime shows frieza being a cocky bastard on two separate occasions and getting his poo poo rocked because of it, which is great.

The manga inverses this for some reason and frieza is completely justified being a cocky bastard to toppo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I really like Hit's concept that'd normally be a gimmick henchman thing, but he's actually competent and strong in his own right and thus gets full use out of his unique power.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

RBX posted:

No he says theyre sending broly off and it seems like he follows him to raise him up for revenge.

Yeah before any of this actual genocide of the Saiyans, King Vegeta accidentally saves Paragus and Broly by sending Broly into exile, most likely because Broly is way stronger than HIS PRECIOUS BABY BOY and that would endanger his rule if there's a Saiyan stronger than the king. Paragus is backstabbed by this and swears revenge against The King and the Prince that ruined his Son's life, stealing the birthright they should have had as elite Saiyans most likely.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Blockhouse posted:

I still don't understand that episode where Vegeta beat him, what they were trying to argue made no sense.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Blaze Dragon posted:

At this point I feel I would've rather had YoungJiji. He's even worse than Toyotaro writing-wise but at least he can actually draw.

Toyotaru was picked most likely because he was first and the whole legend of everyone believing AF was legit dragon ball in certain parts of early 2000s web, if I'm not misremembering the chronology of all the unofficial works right. Its like basically hiring the most infamous of the fan films to direct a spider man movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vegeta and Bulma in Super are hilarious.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really like Hit's concept that'd normally be a gimmick henchman thing, but he's actually competent and strong in his own right and thus gets full use out of his unique power.

Yeah, he's had a good showing so far, probably because they presented him as a rival from the outset rather than as a genuine threat.

If they keep him around he'll probably assume the Piccolo role of beating up mid-level guys and getting punked by whoever's strongest that week, which is probably the best anyone can hope for.

Speaking of the manga, I don't get why they made the lame and unnecessary change of having Hit's power straight up not work against anyone whose number is bigger.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://youtu.be/K5uscyx0OpU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I honestly had never thought about it like that but this video's right, Toyotaro's panel composition is terrible. I agree with basically all of it except that the manga's quality went down when the ToP started, considering the Future Trunks arc was horrendous and probably one of the worst things I've ever seen in Dragon Ball, made worse by the anime version being one of the best instead. The ToP just continued that level of (lack of) quality.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Justin_Brett posted:

I find it hard to believe Solo could be worse than The Last Jedi, at least.

it really depends on what your beef is.

like, for me personally, TLJ was messy as hell but i at least appreciated that it was trying to do new and interesting things. it's a compromised vision, but still a pretty strong one, and that's worth a lot; it's not super dissimilar to Batman vs. Superman, another "bad" movie that I kinda love just for its chutzpah and willingness to get weird. Solo, meanwhile, is undeniably better executed but is way, way more bland than TLJ and more reverent to the earlier movies, to its extreme detriment.

so like, if you liked what TLJ was trying to do and thought it just faltered in the execution, Solo is better, technically, but kinda feels like it's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. if you thought the stuff TLJ was trying to do was bad and unlike Star Wars, you'll probably be fine with Solo on the whole.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I liked most of the stuff with Rey, more than I thought I would, but everything to do with that one Admiral character was kind of a mess, and that affects most of the movie really.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Justin_Brett posted:

I liked most of the stuff with Rey, more than I thought I would, but everything to do with that one Admiral character was kind of a mess, and that affects most of the movie really.

yeah if you liked the Luke and Rey stuff and it was mostly the grounded space-combat bits that were your beef, you're going to feel like you wished on the Monkey's Paw and Solo is what came out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah if you liked the Luke and Rey stuff and it was mostly the grounded space-combat bits that were your beef, you're going to feel like you wished on the Monkey's Paw and Solo is what came out.

I don’t think it being grounded space stuff was the problem.

The subplots were just kind of poorly written and dumb.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1050454423842025473

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So those tournament of powers huh

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think it being grounded space stuff was the problem.

The subplots were just kind of poorly written and dumb.

i'm dropping the discussion after this because this isn't a SW thread, but, like, that's what i mean

Solo takes the grounded space stuff and does it better than TLJ did, but by being all grounded space stuff, it ignores all the things that were actively cool and good about TLJ

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I liked the last jedi and solo they were fun

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Goku could totally beat up superman

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

Goku could totally beat up superman

Undoubtely, but would he do it as Super Saiyan Blue (Kaio-ken) or would Superman be strong enough to push him into Ultra Instinct? Or maybe it'd end up in a fused fight of Vegetto vs SuBatman.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Undoubtely, but would he do it as Super Saiyan Blue (Kaio-ken) or would Superman be strong enough to push him into Ultra Instinct? Or maybe it'd end up in a fused fight of Vegetto vs SuBatman.

Oh man, Superman with Batman's fighting ability would be unstoppable. Superman is just a big strong guy who flails around at bad guys, he has no style.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blaze Dragon posted:

Composite Superman, actually in comics!

VvV
SuperBro did (Basically the Superman from New 52 that didn't have 90s Superman's baggage and was brasher/banging Wonder Woman). I think it was literally called the Solar Flare.

It ended up burning him out or something because he would be depowered for a while after using it.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 11, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Doesn't superman have some weird super saiyan form where he gets really hot like a sun?

Yeah, Super Flare.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 11, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

superman can do whatever the author needs him to do. how strong he is varies wildly since it's not just one author writing him

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Sure, but this seems a little bit too on the nose. Goku would still beat it though, because Superman isn't used to or trained in fighting people on or above his level. Which is why Goku would love and pester him constantly for a rematch/training.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Depends which version of Superman. Silver Age would destroy him, but modern Supes he has a much better shot.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
Superman is the dumbest hero ever... there I said it :colbert:

*ducks incoming insults*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

Depends which version of Superman. Silver Age would destroy him, but modern Supes he has a much better shot.

Silver Age Superman simply does not work in any kind of serious story.

The dude was basically a mythic hero who could do whatever the gently caress he had to do because the comics code bullshit ruined dramatic or serious comics for years. So to survive, they had him go on big goofy space adventures where he could literally cart around a solar system, chained together, from one side of the universe to another faster than anything could imagine.

Silver Age Superman would pants Beerus before high fiving Zeno and going to marry Jimmy to an ape for the third time