Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hold The Ashes posted:

I mean, it's not like you asked us to diagnose your new gen hardware problem based on virtually no information so it's not exactly plausible you'd somehow get indignant when offered to help one post after, but here we are.

do you need a new cooling fan bc you seem like you should chill tf out

the guy wasnt trying to be difficult, he just doesnt know enough about what the problem is to have provided every piece you need to diagnose it

this forum must be a loving nightmare for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

Statutory Ape posted:

do you need a new cooling fan bc you seem like you should chill tf out

the guy wasnt trying to be difficult, he just doesnt know enough about what the problem is to have provided every piece you need to diagnose it

this forum must be a loving nightmare for you

Wait, just so I can go along with your weird roleplaying, am I supposed to respond to you with or without the understanding that you're desperately trying to pull off the "i'm so chill I don't let anything get to me" act?

I'd hate to interfere with such a nuanced, method acting performance, but I feel as if I might not get to enjoy it completely with your history of having multiple forum wide meltdowns and having to be sat in the corner, or am I supposed to just stick solely with the half of your posts in this thread being that of a clear man child?

If you would like to respond out of the thread (so that it doesn't affect your performance) I can give you my phone # or email to respond to, just please, let me know because this is all terribly confusing!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I would get the hassle out of the way and rma the card straight away, if the previous card was fine it does indicate a problem with the new one. If the replacement also blue screens that's when you know you potentially have an issue with another piece of hardware. Could be the psu if the 2080 drew significantly more power than the old card.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hold The Ashes posted:

Wait, just so I can go along with your weird roleplaying, am I supposed to respond to you with or without the understanding that you're desperately trying to pull off the "i'm so chill I don't let anything get to me" act?

I'd hate to interfere with such a nuanced, method acting performance, but I feel as if I might not get to enjoy it completely with your history of having multiple forum wide meltdowns and having to be sat in the corner, or am I supposed to just stick solely with the half of your posts in this thread being that of a clear man child?

If you would like to respond out of the thread (so that it doesn't affect your performance) I can give you my phone # or email to respond to, just please, let me know because this is all terribly confusing!

Oh no, things get to me,which is why i called you out on your befuddlingly retarded posts just now? In what world would you think I was trying to act like I found what you're saying remotely acceptable.

I genuinely think you're off of whatever medication you belong on or that your favorite cat must have just died. Frankly i don't care which but you should probably take a nap or go smell a flower

loving weirdo

E: but here. 800 273 8255

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I had a factory overclocked evga 980 that was unstable and would lock up every few hours of gaming, causing the driver to reset and make whatever game I was playing crash to the desktop. RMAed it and the replacement was better but still did it at least once every few days. And it wasn't even happening at the highest frequency/power/load, at the time I was using a 60 Hz 1200p display with adaptive vsync, so quite often the card would crash at 70-90% power but would be fine at 100%. However I completely eliminated the issue by loading up MSI afterburner and just dragging the power target and voltage target to the maximum values without applying any further overclock (it boosted to 1.4 GHz out of the box anyway). I loaned the card to a friend and told him to do the same thing, it is still working perfectly fine to this day and never crashes on him.

Basically depending on the silicon lottery the the card may dip into voltages that are too low to be stable at a given boost frequency and it can be fixed by just globally tuning up the voltage.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

Statutory Ape posted:

Oh no, things get to me,which is why i called you out on your befuddlingly retarded posts just now? In what world would you think I was trying to act like I found what you're saying remotely acceptable.

I genuinely think you're off of whatever medication you belong on or that your favorite cat must have just died. Frankly i don't care which but you should probably take a nap or go smell a flower

loving weirdo

E: but here. 800 273 8255

Doubling down on the NO I REALLY DON'T CARE card? :monocle:

I get that you're generally probated during the middle of your angry meltdowns so you aren't familiar with where to go after the first "call out" (:laffo:) but you might want to move on to greener pastures, complacency is never a good thing.

Could I interest you, perhaps, in a puppet master card?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Anyway, when can we expect some news on the weenie cards akin to 1030/1050? What was the time frame from release for pascal?

3peat
May 6, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

I had to stop using Firefox on my system a few years back because it was throwing up blue screens related to Nvidia drivers.

I also had crashes and retarts under GPU load previously from a dying PSU, so it could also be power related.

EDIT: Whoops, I meant dying PSU. Fixed.

I never owned a nvidia card until now and I wanna buy a used 1080/ti, but these nvidia driver problems posts are scaring the gently caress out of me
That said how am I supposed to switch from amd to nvidia drivers? I'm thinking unplugging the internet cable so windows doesnt do some bullshit, uninstalling the amd drivers, switching the cards, installing the nvidia ones, then plugging the cable back in, would that be sufficient?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm going to ignore the weird stuff that happened after but:

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, it's an FE i got from Nvidia so i like to imagine it's not exactly plausible they somehow got a used GPU to my door two days after they released them. i've gotten at this point five blue screens playing destiny 2 and two playing black ops iiii, every time with temps around 55-58c. literally all i use it for is gaming (and even then not super intensive stuff).

What PSU are you using? If I had to bet I'd say putting in a new, power hungry card probably is stressing your PSU while under load. You can try some burn-in GPU stress tests to mitigate some driver concern, but I'm pretty sure Power Supply is where I'd look.

If you have a beefy PSU laying around (or one you can "rent" from a local microcenter or something) that might be the quickest test. Opening a ticket with Nvidia is probably not a bad idea either though.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 14, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
When my PSU was failing under load to a new GPU it wouldn't blue screen, just straight up shut down the whole system. Not to say that there's no way that it's a PSU problem here but I'm more inclined to believe it's a driver issue given that it's a brand new generation card.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

3peat posted:

I never owned a nvidia card until now and I wanna buy a used 1080/ti, but these nvidia driver problems posts are scaring the gently caress out of me
That said how am I supposed to switch from amd to nvidia drivers? I'm thinking unplugging the internet cable so windows doesnt do some bullshit, uninstalling the amd drivers, switching the cards, installing the nvidia ones, then plugging the cable back in, would that be sufficient?
There is not really any alternative to occasional driver issues; AMD and Nvidia both have their share, so don't let that discourage you from upgrading.

I swapped an AMD card with an Nvidia one, and running DDU was all it took for me to be start using my Nvidia GPU.

If you read the subreddit posts for the latest driver updates, you can usually suss out the most egregious drivers issues. Don't bother upgrading to a driver that's less than a week old unless it's for a new game you plan on playing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

3peat posted:

I'd download the latest nvidia drivers and put them somewhere easily accessible. Then boot into safe mode w/o networking and use DDU to get rid of the AMD drivers. Then, instead of rebooting, power down, swap the cards, boot back up and install the nvidia drivers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Geemer posted:

I'd download the latest nvidia drivers and put them somewhere easily accessible. Then boot into safe mode w/o networking and use DDU to get rid of the AMD drivers. Then, instead of rebooting, power down, swap the cards, boot back up and install the nvidia drivers.

I did this when going back and forth recently, no problems at all.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
You could probably rule out the PSU being on the edge (if that seems likely, don't know the specs we're working with) by setting a power limit on the card, right?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'll go back and respond to everything in a bit, but at the very least i don't think it's a power supply issue. i have an evga 850w and while i haven't actually mathed out my power consumption in a while, i do know my pre-2080ti would have been pretty adequately powered by even a 650w.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

My 1000W PSU that was dying started having issues with my 980Ti just rendering the fancy backgrounds of Wallpaper Engine so yea, if you PSU is Old/Cheapo or just hasn't been tested recently against another one with those of you with GPU issues, I would highly recommend grabbing another to test with and see if that is your issue. No GPU should be BSOD'ing at stock settings due to load these days.

I threw that 1000W PSU into a work junk comp and it even locks up when I have a 8800GT running at high loads so yea, a PSU can be dying but not dead and really be making your life a living heck trying to figure out WTF is going on. Power issues are a PITA.

First it was my PSU (Which I replaced my CPU and RMA'ed my GPU before I did... Doh!) and then my UPS battery backup. So yea, keep your power delivery newer than 10 years and higher quality. (+1 for SeaSonic Prime's and their 12 year warranty).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

NLJP posted:

So my three year old 760 is throwing error 43 in device manager. I've DDUd to known working drivers, reseated card, rolled back windows to base an reinstalled poo poo again.

I'm concluding dead card at this point?

I know it's not much to go on, but is there anything in event viewer? Any time I get a crash or BSOD, first thing I do is reboot & check there, filter out by critical & error only, then search on the errors it shows. I've had pretty good luck diagnosing both hardware & driver issues that way, but if you've already gone that route, the card is likely faulty.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Hold The Ashes posted:

Doubling down on the NO I REALLY DON'T CARE card? :monocle:

thank god you’re here to make sure people asking for video card help ask for help in the “right” way.

you loving weirdo

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

thank god you’re here to make sure people asking for video card help ask for help in the “right” way.

you loving weirdo

:blush:

What can I say, I take a more direct approach than say, reporting everybody being mean to me, deleting 50 of my posts in one thread, then mods just getting tired of my whining and probating me to shut me up.

Your way def has a certain appeal to it tho

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

:ohdear:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hold The Ashes posted:

:blush:

What can I say, I take a more direct approach than say, reporting everybody being mean to me, deleting 50 of my posts in one thread, then mods just getting tired of my whining and probating me to shut me up.

Your way def has a certain appeal to it tho

What are you trying to accomplish with this post? What’s the goal?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

feeding into paranoia

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

isndl posted:

When my PSU was failing under load to a new GPU it wouldn't blue screen, just straight up shut down the whole system. Not to say that there's no way that it's a PSU problem here but I'm more inclined to believe it's a driver issue given that it's a brand new generation card.

Same, I just broke my last PSU on a 2080ti and this is what happened to me, and its logical. Also it would shut the computer down under lighter and lighter loads.

However I also had a bad PSU that didn't do that and damaged my motherboard, ram, HDD's, and video card because it didnt shutdown and just browned out the whole computer for a week. That event is why I'm so paranoid about PSUs though iirc that was an Antec Earthwatts super A+ premiumo quality piece of poo poo.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1gnoirents posted:

Same, I just broke my last PSU on a 2080ti and this is what happened to me, and its logical. Also it would shut the computer down under lighter and lighter loads.

However I also had a bad PSU that didn't do that and damaged my motherboard, ram, HDD's, and video card because it didnt shutdown and just browned out the whole computer for a week. That event is why I'm so paranoid about PSUs though iirc that was an Antec Earthwatts super A+ premiumo quality piece of poo poo.
doesn't the 2080ti draw like 600w at very brief moments

that would do wonders on any PSU that aren't rated at least that wattage

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I don't see how that's possible when the PCIE slot is 75W max and 8-pin connectors are 150W max (so 375W max). Were they reporting power consumption at the wall?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Stickman posted:

I don't see how that's possible when the PCIE slot is 75W max and 8-pin connectors are 150W max (so 375W max). Were they reporting power consumption at the wall?
That's the max sustainable, not what it would pull momentarily. As an aside, the 295X violated PCIe wattage limits for long periods of time.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 480 impressively violated the PCI-E limit at launch. I was surprised they were able to get it fixed with a driver update.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

3peat posted:

Fwiw I blame the specific problem that I brought up on firefox more than Nvidia, but sometimes weird compatibility poo poo pops up. Every configuration is a little different, and sometimes things don't play well together.

If I were you, I'd unplug your ethernet cable, uninstall the AMD drivers with DDU, then shut down the PC. Swap cards, power on PC, then install your new Nvidia drivers. You should be good to go at that point.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Fauxtool posted:

Nice strawman but thats not what I said.
If you get crashes in one game and not another you OC to get the one you crash in stable. This gets the result of a 24/7 OC that works for every game that you play. Running a purpose built stress test will give you a stable OC that will let you run that stress test

By all means use a stress test as a baseline but dont imagine that you are getting a best or even a good OC if your goal is gaming.

The only way to ensure stability for a specific workload is to test with that workload. If you disagree you are detached from reality.

Every game will stress card differently, but whatever man. I'm not gonna stress over an extra 39mhz or so in every new program I try.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Turns out the hardware failure was in our brains all along.
I'm loving my 1070ti but I also had similar issues with hanging and crashing as some other posters. Think it was some form of driver conflict or the OC on my i5 bot being as stable as I thought since clearing the bios and doing a refresh install of windows seems to have fixed it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I actually dont know, I need to look it up. I'm assuming thats system power from the wall but thats still pretty extreme in recent times. My 600 watt replacement seems perfectly happy with max OC on everything but I need to get my killawatt back home. I definitely killed the last 500 watt PSU though as it was running fine for a few hours then it was unable to even run a single frame on stock voltages, but I had suspicions it sucked and it was out of warranty and certainly less overall wattage than I was comfortable with anyways.

edit: Looks like review sites are reporting 400-450 with Furmark and the like. That seems about right to me. I'd be okay with a true momentary 600 watt spike but I feel like the OC limits should prevent that, voltage hardly changes. While I have just a 600 watt SFX PSU its a badass one after reading a JohnnyGuru review on it, it actually tests at platinum despite being rated gold and outperforms most PSU's regardless of size. I'm very happy with that because the PSU was definitely the sketchiest weak point of the whole system (SFX L 500 watt silverstone) and this corsair fills me with a bit of confidence. Somehow it pulls it off while being much smaller in size too

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 14, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just saying, I had the same poo poo with the RX480. Not really bluescreens, sometimes black screens, sometimes shutdowns. Ended up with an 850w EVGA PSU that fixed all the problems.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

gently caress it, cancelled the 1070ti, going to go all out with the 2080ti that I so richly deserve :derp:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
whoa

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

just buy it!!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hace posted:

Every game will stress card differently, but whatever man. I'm not gonna stress over an extra 39mhz or so in every new program I try.

"every card will stress the card differently" or "a card is stable or not." Which was it because you have argued for both so far.

Its the first but i would like to know how you think its both somehow

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

1gnoirents posted:

Just buy seasonic and never worry again

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Banano posted:

Just buy seasonic and never worry again

They arent in the SFX game yet

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I recently had a Seasonic die on me, G series 360w 80+ gold, at about 4 years or run time (near 24/7, it was powering a pfsense router box that tended to hover at around 40w at the outlet according to the battery backup it is attached to).

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Probably, but harmless. All GPUs and CPUs can cause momentary (less than a millisecond duration) current spikes well into the multiples of the rated TDP, this is what the capacitors are for. The important thing is the average power over a second or two shouldn't exceed the specifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Fauxtool posted:

"every card will stress the card differently" or "a card is stable or not." Which was it because you have argued for both so far.

Its the first but i would like to know how you think its both somehow

Fauxtool posted:

Every game is different and some poorly coded games will kill the most stable OC like for honor and pubg

I don't really care what you do or how you define a "stable" card my guy, I just think that it's silly advising people set themselves up with OCs that only work part of the time.

Hace fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 15, 2018