Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ccs posted:

I’m not sure about bigwigs. They had a tiny publishing company that had only published 3 other books. Then the author did a ton of legwork going around to schools dressed as a medieval character and reading excerpts of his book. Which is another thing only a homeschooler could have the confidence to do. This eventually got him noticed by famous author whose kid liked the book and then it was republished by an actual major publisher.

Yeah it's this. I used to resent him a lot when I was younger because he's a legit bad author but he has a ton of hustle, which is more than you can say for a lot of similarly bad authors(like the one this thread is about)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I have a hard time criticizing books written for kids the same way I do books written for people of university age like Rothfuss’ stuff. Some authors just stumble upon things that resonate with kids even if it’s material that’s largely cribbed from other sources.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I was just gifted a copy of the D&D/Rick & Morty crossover comic Rothfuss wrote. My prediction going in is that it will be functionally identical to his Acquisitions Incorporated character.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Alagaësia, however, is very cool.

I treat fantasy-accents the same way I treat fantasy-apostrophes - ignore them completely cos they probably don't do anything.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yeah it's this. I used to resent him a lot when I was younger because he's a legit bad author but he has a ton of hustle, which is more than you can say for a lot of similarly bad authors(like the one this thread is about)

I'd argue Rothfuss has a lot of hustle, it's just all dedicated to doing anything other than writing book 3.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I treat fantasy-accents the same way I treat fantasy-apostrophes - ignore them completely cos they probably don't do anything.
According to the pronunciation guide at the back of the book, it canonically does nothing. :thumbsup:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 17, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ah, but according to Paolini himself :eng101:

quote:

Alagaësia (literally "fertile land") has two different pronunciations.

The first, incorrect, pronunciation given in the books of the Inheritance Cycle is "al-uh-gay-zee-uh". However, the sound of the "ë" in Alagaësia is an "EE" sound (the "¨" indicates that the "e" should be pronounced independently of neighboring vowels), so the real pronunciation is "al-uh-ga-ee-zee-uh."

It is stated by Christopher Paolini in the extended version of the Eragon movie that the reason why it is pronounced "al-uh-gay-zee-uh" is because pronouncing it the proper way makes it too uptight.

I'm assuming NotW has dumb place names, but I literally cannot remember the name of any place or region in that book.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When I was fifteen what did I think was cool?

star trek, RPG video games, Wing Commander: Privateer . . .

These things are all still cool, though. Except WC: Privateer - it is epic.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ah, but according to Paolini himself :eng101:
Jesus Christ.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm assuming NotW has dumb place names, but I literally cannot remember the name of any place or region in that book.

quote:

The entire geographical extent of Temerant is unknown; most of the known part is occupied by a very large peninsula extending west from the Stormwal Mountains. It is mentioned that the world stretches past these mountains into a region whose geography is mainly unknown but that includes at least the Tahl Forest and a large desert, mentioned by a girl when Skarpi is telling his stories.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Tarbean

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Christopher Paolini posted:

To the casual observer, the various names an intrepid traveler will encounter throughout Alagaësia might seem but a random collection of labels with no inherent integrity, culture, or history.

:thunk:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

I'd argue Rothfuss has a lot of hustle, it's just all dedicated to doing anything other than writing book 3.

Seems to love any chance to write with or for famous sci to fantasy writers/developers.

Didnt he write a character for Torment that was actually not bad just sort of bland and 1 dimensional? I also think some of his attemepted participation fell flat.

Wasnt Rothfuss one of the people who lost a large sum of money in the handcrafted wooden gaming tables too?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pentyne posted:

Seems to love any chance to write with or for famous sci to fantasy writers/developers.

Didnt he write a character for Torment that was actually not bad just sort of bland and 1 dimensional? I also think some of his attemepted participation fell flat.

Wasnt Rothfuss one of the people who lost a large sum of money in the handcrafted wooden gaming tables too?

Regarding Torment, his character was alright from what I recall. Decent story, loving pain in the rear end mechanically though.

And yeah, he was a big investor in Geek Chic, so he lost whatever he put in.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought some of those tables were pretty neat. Unfortunately I have never really been into RPGs and the tables seemed a bit overkill for having 5 of my friends sit around it chugging IPAs and swearing at each other while cheating at Risk.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought some of those tables were pretty neat. Unfortunately I have never really been into RPGs and the tables seemed a bit overkill for having 5 of my friends sit around it chugging IPAs and swearing at each other while cheating at Risk.

I'd love more details on how that company crashed and burned. Allegedly they had tons of pre-orders people signing up for waitlists etc. so clearly they either didn't charge enough or actually couldn't make the tables in any sort of production capacity.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

pentyne posted:

I'd love more details on how that company crashed and burned. Allegedly they had tons of pre-orders people signing up for waitlists etc. so clearly they either didn't charge enough or actually couldn't make the tables in any sort of production capacity.

There's a pretty good Reddit discussion on the subject, even if the actual PDF of their bankruptcy filing has vanished.

Apparently they were treading-water-to-modestly-profitable right up until they merged/acquired Crash Games without doing good due diligence, and wound up with $350K of extra debts on their hands (plus a stolen truck). The big investor didn't like the sound of that (and the implications for how things were being run) and took the tax writeoff rather than throw more money at the problem.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It's pretty impressive how the Rothfuss thread(s) went from breathlessly in love to hatred to complete disinterest in the time it took for the third book to still not come out.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Seven years is a long time though

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Habibi posted:

These things are all still cool, though. Except WC: Privateer - it is epic.

Privateer is the reason I chucked $20 at Star Citizen when it was announced as a modern successor of reasonable scope.

lol oops

I read the name of the wind due to recommendations a long time ago, like a decade, and I really don't remember much about it. It really was a forgettably mediocre fantasy book.

I think most of the reason it's popular is the sales pitch, the "You may have heard of me" setup, which promises so much more than the book delivers. Also most people are dumb as hell, those fawning reviews that were pasted over the last few pages were all laughably poorly written, and serve to reinforce my belief that the content of a review is matched in importance by the quality.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Chad Jihad posted:

Seven years is a long time though

Not an empty quote.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Anyone who reads and enjoys the "you may have heard of me" bit deserves whatever they get

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It's dumb, but it promises an adventure. What you get is... Not really an adventure.

Really the issue with Rothfuss is one that's become extremely common in Western cultures, that he's the stupid man's smart person. He's Elon Musk.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Wheeee posted:

It's dumb, but it promises an adventure. What you get is... Not really an adventure.

Really the issue with Rothfuss is one that's become extremely common in Western cultures, that he's the stupid man's smart person. He's Elon Musk.

It's so pretentious and smug that basically in the end what can you expect but Smug And Pretentious Harry Potter?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kchama posted:

It's so pretentious and smug that basically in the end what can you expect but Smug And Pretentious Harry Potter?

A conclusion, for one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kchama posted:

Its basically a toned down version of that Yudizowsy Harry Potter fanfic.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

welp i finished reading the name of the wind and thought it was decently enjoyable if not fantastic but there were a lot of bits where i was like "this is kind of gross/dumb" but then just shrugged and kept going b/c i was already hundreds of pages in

reading through some of this thread was enough to convince me that a lot of it was really gross and dumb and since apparently the second book is even worse im gonna just buy the third stormlight archive book instead, tyvm

honestly in retrospect i should've put the book down after the weird-rear end bit with ambrose and fela, even at the time i was :catstare:

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 4, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kchama posted:

It's pretty impressive how the Rothfuss thread(s) went from breathlessly in love to hatred to complete disinterest in the time it took for the third book to still not come out.

It's because I successfully led this board away from the series. Just check the ASOIAF thread to see a different timeline.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
People had already soured on it before you had a single post in the thread; let's not gild the lily here. If anything, it was The Slow Regard of Silent Things that broke the spell.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 4, 2018

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's because I successfully led this board away from the series. Just check the ASOIAF thread to see a different timeline.
zeitgeist wrangler

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

People had already soured on it before you had a single post in the thread; let's not gild the lily here. If anything, it was The Slow Regard of Silent Things that broke the spell.

Without me, people would still be arguing with jivjov about whether or not they're entitled to another book.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Fair.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I miss jivjov in here. And I liked your extensive critical reading of Name of the Wind. I think this thread is a lot more interesting when you two are posting in it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Without me, people would still be arguing with jivjov about whether or not they're entitled to another book.

As entertaining as those exchanges were its more a sign of a broke brain person who touts their achievement of re-reading a book 13 times and then says they'll re-read it again out of spite.

Trying to then also claim about how well spoken they are and how they've 'raised' the level of discussion in the amiibo thread is also a red flag.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pentyne posted:

As entertaining as those exchanges were its more a sign of a broke brain person who touts their achievement of re-reading a book 13 times and then says they'll re-read it again out of spite.

Trying to then also claim about how well spoken they are and how they've 'raised' the level of discussion in the amiibo thread is also a red flag.

I say this being one of those "yeah this book is great Rothfuss is a poet weird sex stuff aside" before looking back and realizing it was mediocre at its best and just a bunch of "and then everybody stood up and clapped" moments.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's a good progression from Harry Potter since those books are 'everyone stood up and clapped' but because Harry is the chosen one.
Whereas Kvothe is "everyone stood up and clapped" because he's talented, but in a way that totally defies credibility.

Roth kinda wrote a "get of jail" for Kvothe's talent because he's telling his own story, but the story is supposed to be him dispelling his own myth and that doesn't work if he actually was that good.
Anything interesting he might have been doing with the unreliability of myths went out the window with the absurdity of Wise Man's Fear.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Both Scott Lynch and Pat Rothfuss seem to have been hit with depression after realizing their book-length male power fantasies were inherently sexist while arriving to success during a period in time where to not be a virtue signaling rabid feminist was to invite attack from hundreds of directions. The cultured and moneyed bourgeoisie progressives who own publishing do not have the same tastes as the reading public who actually buy books, leading to the success of things like The Name of Wind wherein the male power fantasies are still present but constantly disavowed by the author who claims vociferously that he and his books are both feminist and progressive despite all evidence to the contrary.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 5, 2018

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The difference between Lynch and Rothfuss is that Lynch can and has taken criticism about it and has actively tried to be better about things while acknowledging how flawed his past work has been. Rothfuss meanwhile stands as a monument to Look At What a Good Male Feminist I Am.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Reene posted:

The difference between Lynch and Rothfuss is that Lynch can and has taken criticism about it and has actively tried to be better about things while acknowledging how flawed his past work has been. Rothfuss meanwhile stands as a monument to Look At What a Good Male Feminist I Am.

While writing reviews of beloved children's books such as Eloise (which itself can be interpreted as a female power fantasy) and using it as an excuse to degrade, insult, and mock an original female character. Which again, is in a children's picture book. While proclaiming what a great feminist he is.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

BananaNutkins posted:

Both Scott Lynch and Pat Rothfuss seem to have been hit with depression after realizing their book-length male power fantasies were inherently sexist while arriving to success during a period in time where to not be virtue signaling as rabidly femanist was to invite attack from hundreds of directions. The cultured and moneyed bourgeoisie progressives who own publishing do not have the same tastes as the reading public who actually buy books, leading to the success of things like The Name of Wind wherein the male power fantasies are still present but constantly disavowed by the author who claims vociferously that he and his books are both feminist and progressive despite all evidence to the contrary.

What world do you live in where the kind of milquetoast poo poo these guys say in public counts as rabidly "femanist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Grenrow posted:

What world do you live in where the kind of milquetoast poo poo these guys say in public counts as rabidly "femanist"

From his very first moment in the public awareness Rothfuss has been proclaiming how much of a feminist he is and how strong he stands with other feminists. Like he was trying to make himself the main celeb feminist fantasy author in a traditonally male dominated field.

Its basically the modern take on a "white knight" someone who cant help but express how much they love feminism and female empowerment while at the same time still holding misogynistic perceptions and opinions but hand waving them away as it being okay because they support the struggle.

His ego comes into play as well; there was that ancedote of him at a writers forum offering a piece of a short story for critique but said no one could critique the words, grammar, etc since he had worked it to perfection.