Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

MiddleOne posted:

old money families own all of Sweden's major papers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPEA4FHw3I0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

The rest of it is pure racism but this part is outright criminal.

So, uh, yeah, they're gonna do it. They literally want to starve people who already have trouble feeding and medicating themselves and their children.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/2000-kroner-mindre-til-enlige-foraeldre-integrationsydelse-kan-ende-paa-bordet-i

quote:

Konkret lyder forslaget, at integrationsydelsen skal sænkes med 2.000 kroner om måneden for enlige mødre eller fædre og 1.000 kroner for hver af forsørgerne i familier, hvor mor og far bor sammen.

[...]

En undersøgelse fra Institut for Menneskerettigheder, som Dagbladet Information omtalte i sidste uge, konkluderede, at nogle familier på integrationsydelse lever for så lille et rådighedsbeløb, at de har svært ved at få råd til mad, medicin og bolig.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
So is Steffe gonna succeed?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one imagines that this depends on who fears another election the most

m probably does not want that, but i don't really see a swedish GroKo happening. my uneducated guess would be that the alliansen parties that refused SD are really sweating right about now as well - another election would be a big risk for them, but so is propping up a weak social democratic government

amusingly, S is probably the party outside of SD with the least to lose from another election: they haven't lost much of their mandate, and M has to own the failure to form a government. the center parties and M are gambling on the level of contempt voters have for SD, and are probably polling like mad atm

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's really only one party that holding this entire thing up. C has painted themselves into a corner because the alternatives right now are.

A: Ulf as prime minister, which requires working with SD.
B: Stefan as prime minister, which kills the Alliance.
C: Re-election.

Fun times!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

There's really only one party that holding this entire thing up. C has painted themselves into a corner because the alternatives right now are.

Fun times!

D: V as leader of a left wing coalition consisting of disenfranchised MP and C voters followed by Bolshevik revolution and a guillotine being brought to the royal palace.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

MiddleOne posted:

Fun times!

i cannot believe how poorly ulf has played this election result tbh it's farcical

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
When I saw how the blue/brown block reacted on the election night it felt pretty sure that they were going to try for just ignoring reality and going with: it's our turn to rule now! Luckily that didn't work. But they don't keep insisting that is Steffe who should roll over and support them when the only logical thing I can see is either one of L and C replacing MP or just pure S.

Edit: MP must realise that it was a huge mistake to join the cabinet. And 4 years ago Steffe called Alliansens bluff giving us DÖ. They have to either embrace SD and rule with them or let S rule without "accidentally voting with SD" all the time and completely block the government from doing anything. He told them to stop or it's nyval and they did...

zokie fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 19, 2018

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'm honestly very surprised Alliansen did not immediately roll over and start working with SD from day one. There's really nothing keeping them from doing so ideologically, so I'm guessing it is something like M not being large or popular enough to feel comfortable having SD as a support party like Høyre is with FrP.

I mean, they still might, but this is actually becoming somewhat interesting. Is nyval a common thing in Sweden? What would be the likely outcome? Just more tactical voting?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I still can't believe that M went with such an obvious piece of poo poo as Uffe as their party leader.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Biomute posted:

I'm honestly very surprised Alliansen did not immediately roll over and start working with SD from day one. There's really nothing keeping them from doing so ideologically, so I'm guessing it is something like M not being large or popular enough to feel comfortable having SD as a support party like Høyre is with FrP.

I mean, they still might, but this is actually becoming somewhat interesting. Is nyval a common thing in Sweden? What would be the likely outcome? Just more tactical voting?

Re-elections to the lower house of the old bicameral riksdag has happened four times since the end of Gustavian absolutism - in 1887, 1914, 1921 and 1958 - and the first two predate universal suffrage. It has never been done for the unicameral riksdag (which was introduced with the early 1970's constitutional reform that replaced the 1809 instrument of government etc).

The reason C and L won't budge on the cooperation with SD is that their USP and the only real reason they're relevant. If you're right-wing (or more likely politically naive but rich) and have some kind of liberal values, you don't want to vote for M or KD, because then you get SD in tow, and you don't want to vote for S because taxes or whatever bizarre hang ups people have about S.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 20, 2018

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
What were the options, even? Going back to Bildt?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

What were the options, even? Going back to Bildt?

I still remember Reinfeldts "New Moderates" and the whoops hey guys here's Bildt by the way.

Though as far as boughies are concerned Bildt is basically the Swedish Ronald Reagan.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/Hans_Vang/status/1053364470825791488

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

So Jushua French is gonna be a millionaire now, huh? That's not disgusting at all.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I'm reading about Steffe having the onerous burden of putting together a "politically neutral" budget. Is there even such a thing? Won't all the concessions be to the right and we wind up with a more neoliberal budget anyways?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

One would imagine that creating a neutral budget would be creating one where very little is changed.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
This election still makes 0 sense to me. Though I lost most interest a weeks before I voted.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The moderates are going to be a supporting party in an SD lead coalition within like 2 elections.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Currently looking like the Norwegian government is gonna hold, with KrF pledging itself to the H-FrP coalition. Not a big surprise to me really, KrF have been really indecisive and timid when push actually comes to shove,despite some attempts at forceful rethoric from Hareide, for pretty much the entire lifespan of this government, that's likely why they appear to be going away as a political factor. That and the party appearing to have a pretty irreconcilable conservative/liberal split.

I don't really know what Ap then sees in them given their bad results in the recent election and their consistently bad polling since then. But many in Ap seem very dedicated to seeking out a partnership with KrF, and I'm not too sure why, especially now when Ap itself has been hemorrhaging voters both to the left and center to parties that currently have a much more clearly defined agenda and political profile than what Ap conveys. Leader personality might also play a part, while SV, R and Sp all have pretty recognizable and charismatic leaders (in Sp's case, this is charismatic in a rather weird case, but then again they are a party of weirdos), while Støre, as party leader (I actually kind of liked him as foreign minister, as a guy just doing his job), is just the most boring guy imaginable, also he's literally grey.

I guess a reason for Ap's flirtation with KrF may be because Støre himself kind of represents the right wing of the party, in the sense that he represents anything at all. Sp being more comfortable cooperating with another center party might also play a part (I also think they have said they won't be willing to work with R) their recent growth (they doubled in size n the last election and polling has been consistent since) pretty much makes them a factor that cannot be ignored and in many ways Ap has to bend to their wishes, Sp (in the past at least) being known for being remarkably mercenary and demanding a high price for their support. Then again the growth of Sp at least can be partially attributed to Ap's own policy of supporting the current government's very unpopular regional reforms and the associated forced mergers of municipalities and counties.

I guess this will be it for Norwegian politics in what is now the Swedish politics thread.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 22, 2018

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Biomute posted:

I'd say that traditionally, none of the parties that came to make up Alliansen have very much in common with SD. SD has only one defining ideological issue - racism - and everything else from blut und boden nationalism to core family patriarchy and homophobia comes about only because their troglodyte voters and politicians go unthinkingly with gut feeling and "common sense". There's not a single ideologue or philosopher among them, and their kind of vulgar populism/fascism lite was marginalized in Swedish politics until a decade ago or so.

L (formerly FP) and C used to be fairly centrist when it came to social issues, and for a little while there it seemed like KD was eyeing a position on the left wing of the bourgeoisie bloc as the "compassionate conservatives". Even M appeared to have taken a left turn when they re-branded themselves as "the new workers' party". Then the world got scary, with economic recession, terror attacks, war and waves of refugees, and everyone took a hard right. L decided that what they really wanted to be was the Law And Order party. C was taken over by the libertarian brain parasite. KD deranged themselves into believing that Sweden was the US, and went all in on anti-abortion and homophobia. SD reared its ugly head, and M thinks that if they just make themselves really really like SD, the voters will come back.

Luckily there's enough social-liberals left among the voters to hold L and C's feet to the fire over collaborating with SD. I have no doubt that if any of those two give in and join a ruling coalition with SD, they'll be abandoned by the voters, fall below the 4% limit and cease to be a meaningful political force for a generation.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

I guess this will be it for Norwegian politics in what is now the Swedish politics thread.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Mr. Sunshine posted:

There's not a single ideologue or philosopher among them, and their kind of vulgar populism/fascism lite was marginalized in Swedish politics until a decade ago or so.

L (formerly FP) and C used to be fairly centrist when it came to social issues, and for a little while there it seemed like KD was eyeing a position on the left wing of the bourgeoisie bloc as the "compassionate conservatives".

Luckily there's enough social-liberals left among the voters to hold L and C's feet to the fire over collaborating with SD. I have no doubt that if any of those two give in and join a ruling coalition with SD, they'll be abandoned by the voters, fall below the 4% limit and cease to be a meaningful political force for a generation.

"No ideology" is ideology.

In Scandinavia more often than not that means the right aligning themselves with centrist and/or populists, selling it as "common sense" policies and "compassionate conservatism". From my point of view this generally results in the rightwing policies of the dominant party getting fast-tracked, while in return the supporting parties get a few scraps. For the far-right or religious weirdos that's generally something really bad, and for the Social-liberals / Libertarians that's something that allows them to claim to their voters that they've technically done something progressive, even though not really (like, how our Liberal party campaigned on promises that they would decentralize by moving jobs out of Oslo, and what really happened is that a bunch of public services got merged and moved to the second largest city Trondheim.). They're generally fine with this, because in reality they support most, if not all of the economic policies of the right-wing conservatives.

I mean, our social-liberals / libertarians talk a mean game about being a check on the far right, but inevitably enable them with not much evidence of voters fleeing the party. A part of that can be explained by tactical voting from the right, but still, to me it just seems like ideology is king, and that's why I'm so honestly baffled that it's taken this long for the right to grab power. M+SD with two of the smaller parties acting as support just makes sense, and that you're not there yet suggest there's actually something to lose. Maybe that is social-liberal voters like you claim? I just didn't expect yours to have more of a spine.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 22, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bildt, Ulf och Åkeson
med er vi resa får
Alla i samma bil
tillbaka hundra år

?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the major thing preventing a right-wing coalition with Alliansen + SD is fear among the smaller parties (C and L, KD has gone off the deep end and is a lost cause). They're closing in on that 4% limit, and the risk of pissing off enough of the old reliable voters is a terrible enough possibility to keep them away from the fascists.

Biomute posted:

"No ideology" is ideology.
Oh yes. Usually it signifies "I have not reflected on my own opinions, and therefore assume that they represent cool-headed objectivity" ie some kind of reactionary stupidity. When I said that SD had no ideologues, I meant that their sole guiding principles are "out with the muslims" and "things were better at some undefined point in the past" completely void of any intellectual framework.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mr. Sunshine posted:

When I said that SD had no ideologues, I meant that their sole guiding principles are "out with the muslims" and "things were better at some undefined point in the past" completely void of any intellectual framework.

As much as I like to slam the blatant idiots among them, that is a very dangerous assumption.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Bildt, Ulf och Åkeson
med er vi resa får
Alla i samma bil
tillbaka hundra år

?

This is a very deep cut

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Poil posted:

Bildt, Ulf och Åkeson
med er vi resa får
Alla i samma bil
tillbaka hundra år

?

:perfect:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Poil posted:

Bildt, Ulf och Åkeson
med er vi resa får
Alla i samma bil
tillbaka hundra år

?

This is killing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Biomute posted:

In Scandinavia more often than not that means the right aligning themselves with centrist and/or populists, selling it as "common sense" policies and "compassionate conservatism". From my point of view this generally results in the rightwing policies of the dominant party getting fast-tracked, while in return the supporting parties get a few scraps. For the far-right or religious weirdos that's generally something really bad, and for the Social-liberals / Libertarians that's something that allows them to claim to their voters that they've technically done something progressive, even though not really (like, how our Liberal party campaigned on promises that they would decentralize by moving jobs out of Oslo, and what really happened is that a bunch of public services got merged and moved to the second largest city Trondheim.). They're generally fine with this, because in reality they support most, if not all of the economic policies of the right-wing conservatives.

Venstre is just the most sorry, spineless excuse for a party in Norway. The last election would probably have done them in if it wasn't for the reported large numbers of Høyre voters in Akershus and Oslo who voted tactically for them so as to maintain the H-FrP government which is dependent on the support of V and KrF (in exchange for scraps). I imagine that anyone who actually votes for Venstre as a principle (and not just because it's a tactical vote in support of their actual preferred party) is someone who never realized how wrong they were about almost everything when they were a teenager.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

trondheim is not the second largest town

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 31 hours!)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

stryk kristenkorset av ditt flagg og heis det rent og rødt

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Føles ikke som at Bergen bør telle, men tredje største da.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know nothing about Bergen but am generally postively disposed to it thanks to Todd Terje et al.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Randarkman posted:

Currently looking like the Norwegian government is gonna hold, with KrF pledging itself to the H-FrP coalition. Not a big surprise to me really, KrF have been really indecisive and timid when push actually comes to shove,despite some attempts at forceful rethoric from Hareide, for pretty much the entire lifespan of this government, that's likely why they appear to be going away as a political factor. That and the party appearing to have a pretty irreconcilable conservative/liberal split.

I don't really know what Ap then sees in them given their bad results in the recent election and their consistently bad polling since then. But many in Ap seem very dedicated to seeking out a partnership with KrF, and I'm not too sure why, especially now when Ap itself has been hemorrhaging voters both to the left and center to parties that currently have a much more clearly defined agenda and political profile than what Ap conveys. Leader personality might also play a part, while SV, R and Sp all have pretty recognizable and charismatic leaders (in Sp's case, this is charismatic in a rather weird case, but then again they are a party of weirdos), while Støre, as party leader (I actually kind of liked him as foreign minister, as a guy just doing his job), is just the most boring guy imaginable, also he's literally grey.

I guess a reason for Ap's flirtation with KrF may be because Støre himself kind of represents the right wing of the party, in the sense that he represents anything at all. Sp being more comfortable cooperating with another center party might also play a part (I also think they have said they won't be willing to work with R) their recent growth (they doubled in size n the last election and polling has been consistent since) pretty much makes them a factor that cannot be ignored and in many ways Ap has to bend to their wishes, Sp (in the past at least) being known for being remarkably mercenary and demanding a high price for their support. Then again the growth of Sp at least can be partially attributed to Ap's own policy of supporting the current government's very unpopular regional reforms and the associated forced mergers of municipalities and counties.

It's ironic, Hareide finally finding a spine and seeing no alternative when it comes to supporting FRP in government, then getting ousted by handwringing Pilate-wannabes destined to chain the party to being a minority of a minority bible belt party for the rest of history.

Honestly, I'm fine with either outcome. Either FRP gets thrown on their rear end, or KrF loses their leader in a polarizing shitstorm and dip well below the margin and disappear up their own centrist asses. Hope half of their voters run to AP or SP, and half of their voters run to R.

V. Illych L. posted:

stryk kristenkorset av ditt flagg og heis det rent og rødt

Also this. Wish I could find time to be more active in Rødt.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Beeswax posted:

I know nothing about Bergen but am generally postively disposed to it thanks to Todd Terje et al.

Was successfully invaded and occupied by the nazis once upon a time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Poil posted:

Bildt, Ulf och Åkeson
med er vi resa får
Alla i samma bil
tillbaka hundra år
:kiss:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Poil posted:

Bildt, Ulf och Åkeson
med er vi resa får
Alla i samma bil
tillbaka hundra år
:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

MiddleOne posted:

Was successfully invaded and occupied by the nazis once upon a time.

I wonder how long it'll take before we get "Quisling was unjustly convicted" think-pieces in newspapers.