Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Queen Victorian posted:

I've heard that a lead roof can be good for four or five hundred years, at which point you pull the lead off, melt it down, remake the tiles/panels, and put it back on for another five hundred years.

A lead roof lasts as long as it takes for someone to come along, rip it off and nick off with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
In the Netherlands clay tiles seem to be the norm, and I don't think I've seen inspections or replacements more than a few times in my life.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan's roofs are actually pretty good tyvm. New houses have clay-inspired lightweight interlocking tiles, or big loving sheets of galvanium like we got.
The old tiles are heavy af but last a very long time, unless a typhoon rips it off in just the right way. Most people here also don't let nearby trees get taller than the house, duh (it also means stuffed up gutters).
Temples and shrines have huge trees but they also take maintenance more seriously that individual homeowners. Our local shrine recently redid the roof in copper plate, it was kawaii af when new, and will look amazing after it turns blue.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Economics also factors in there.

The only decent thing Pratchett ever wrote

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

wesleywillis posted:

Bonus: radiation shield!!

terrible for neutrons tho

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

I also loved all the awesome thatched roofs in Denmark. Those last like 50 years, which is certainly longer than the intended lifespan of asphalt roofs.

They have an issue with flammability though, and having one laid is a pretty laborious process. A cousin of mine recently moved to a house with thatched roof, and had to have one of the wings' roof re-thatched. It's taking weeks if not months, as far as I understood. Meanwhile, another house just down the road from me had its entire roof replaced in less than a week.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Imagine critiquing a dead children's book author on this forum in 2018.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

nielsm posted:

They have an issue with flammability though, and having one laid is a pretty laborious process. A cousin of mine recently moved to a house with thatched roof, and had to have one of the wings' roof re-thatched. It's taking weeks if not months, as far as I understood. Meanwhile, another house just down the road from me had its entire roof replaced in less than a week.

Yeah don't you have to stitch together the individual reeds? From what I learned of the process it seemed super tedious (so at least they last a while after you do it). Also, only really saw the thatch roofs in rural/not dense areas and definitely not in cities, because that seems like a bad idea.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I singed my eyes on this blazing take

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Between that and calling him a children's book author there is little hope for the thread.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

America has lovely roofs because construction in american is eternally being given two options: something that costs $10 and last 10 years or something that costs $11 and last 50 years and always always always choosing the cheaper option.

People rather have an extra 100 sq ft for on their 2500 sqft house than a roof or insulation or windows or a heating system that will save them tons of money in the long run. Just minmax that square footage, nothing else.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Queen Victorian posted:

I've heard that a lead roof can be good for four or five hundred years, at which point you pull the lead off, melt it down, remake the tiles/panels, and put it back on for another five hundred years.

I also loved all the awesome thatched roofs in Denmark. Those last like 50 years, which is certainly longer than the intended lifespan of asphalt roofs.

We looked and some older houses with original clay tile roofs. They'd last a long time, but would require lots of regular inspection and spot maintenance to keep in good shape. My husband wants a slate roof on our Victorian, once the (currently pretty new and good) asphalt roof needs replacing. I'm guessing this house originally had a wood shingle or slate roof (I did find random shards of slate buried in the yard, including a tile piece with holes in it).

Lead roofs are OK for the inhabitants, but dangerous for the installers. You won't want to catch your rainwater either, or eat any stuff you grow in a nearby garden for that matter. The reason that lead is recycled so much is because governments want to keep it out of the local water table.

Slate roofs are expensive, but can last 200-300 years. In fact, the main reasons that old ones failed is because the nails holding the tiles rusted away, but we have stainless steel now.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 23, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So if you were going to put a "best roof" on a house, what material would you use? Where "best" is optimizing for longevity, performance, and low maintenance load rather than up-front price.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Slate or concrete* tiles, if the roof structure is rated for the weight.

*Other cast products may be better.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So if you were going to put a "best roof" on a house, what material would you use? Where "best" is optimizing for longevity, performance, and low maintenance load rather than up-front price.

The shape, pitch, and materials for an ideal roof would vary with region, but the common factor is "not literally the cheapest poo poo you can get away with"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Slate or concrete* tiles, if the roof structure is rated for the weight.

*Other cast products may be better.

If you are setting aside cost, wouldn't it be best to do something like use concrete to make a single slab roof surface? You would want to design it to design it to properly shed water without pooling and I guess snow if you have that. It seems like a lot of large buildings like apartment blocks and towers have this design already.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My roof was designed for my house in 1958. If I wanted to put a tile or metal roof, I'd have to have the whole structure re-evaluated and probably some substantial reinforcements. I would then have increased my property value by approximately $0 compared to just replacing with the same quality asphalt-shingle 30-year roof that will definitely be in good shape when we sell this place within the next 10-15 years.

And the reason this is the case is not that Americans don't value quality - it's because there's a severe housing shortage in my metro area (san francisco bay area) and most other urban areas are the same, because there is a mass movement of population going on a multi-decadal trend in the US of abandoning the rural areas and concentrating in cities. Property values are set mostly by scarcity of single-family homes, with variables like school quality and transportation being at the top of the list, square footage/number of bedrooms/age of construction somewhere below that, and little things like the quality of materials waaaay down the loving list from there.

This isn't because americans suck or are stupid (although we do, and are), it's because unlike much of western europe we are still a growing population country, undergoing major shifts in density and land use, with a legal system that grants zoning control and construction standards controls to the local and then county and then state level, with tax incentives that favor zoning for dollars over zoning for optimal density and land use.

If home buyers had the reasonable option of choosing between poor-quality homes and good-quality homes within the school district and commute distance they needed, and had a reasonable expectation of staying in the same home for 40+ years, they'd care about roof construction quality a lot more.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

kid sinister posted:

Oh god. Don't you feel great knowing that your family slept under that?

The fun part was that while the city inspector had issues with some sink vent being 2" farther away from the wall than it was supposed to, he didn't bat an eye at several broken struts in the attic.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Found this when I fell down a google hole.

https://www.nachi.org/forum/f23/sistered-floor-joists-28830/

OP posted:

I ran across this today. It's floor joists that are approximately 8 feet long made from 2 floor joists approximately 4 1/2 feet long. Where the two pieces of floor joist meet they aren't nailed together or have one or two nails! The joists are supporting a bathroom tub.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I bet females love it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Queen Victorian posted:

and sell it to scientists for radiation shielding in sensitive experiments.

When lead is first smelted, it contains some lead-210, which is radioactive with a half-life of 22 years. It’s bad when your shielding itself is radioactive.

A few centuries after smelting, nearly all of that has decayed and now it is suitable.

There is no feasible way to speed up the process. You just have to find old lead and beg/borrow/steal it. For example, archæologists might part with some of the ingots they recovered from a Roman shipwreck if you lend them your expertise and equipment to analyse some of the artefacts.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Platystemon posted:

and sell it to scientists for radiation shielding in sensitive experiments.

When lead is first smelted, it contains some lead-210, which is radioactive with a half-life of 22 years. It’s bad when your shielding itself is radioactive.

A few centuries after smelting, nearly all of that has decayed and now it is suitable.

There is no feasible way to speed up the process. You just have to find old lead and beg/borrow/steal it. For example, archæologists might part with some of the ingots they recovered from a Roman shipwreck if you lend them your expertise and equipment to analyse some of the artefacts.

There's a similar problem with the structural steel elements of big instruments. For really sensitive gear you have to use steel last smelted before the dawn of the nuclear age. Currently a major source is, I poo poo you not, the Imperial German Navy, scuttled by Britain after the war in relatively shallow water.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Steel is a bit different in that the ore is clean and it’s contaminated by air in the furnace.

We could retrofit a furnace somewhere to use filtered air. It would be way cheaper than the isotopic separation required to separate the Pb‐210 from fresh lead, but still more expensive than just continuing to salvage Scapa Flow and other pre‐nuclear sources.

There’s more seventy‐year‐old steel out there than there is two‐hundred‐year‐old lead.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

And also WWII ships sank in deep water, that were/are being illegally salvaged.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2017/nov/03/worlds-biggest-grave-robbery-asias-disappearing-ww2-shipwrecks

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I bet females love it.

:vince:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I am fascinated about this lead and steel stuff and want to read or listen to more about it. Any resources out there that can sate this?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Queen Victorian posted:

My husband wants a slate roof on our Victorian, once the (currently pretty new and good) asphalt roof needs replacing. I'm guessing this house originally had a wood shingle or slate roof (I did find random shards of slate buried in the yard, including a tile piece with holes in it).

There's an old joke in the property adjusting community:

"What do you pay a slate roofer?"

"Whatever he wants"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

couldcareless posted:

I am fascinated about this lead and steel stuff and want to read or listen to more about it. Any resources out there that can sate this?

Here’s one article about lead

I saw this documentary linked. Never watched it.

Bonus: put an alarm on your mediævel roof so you can foil physicists seeking to chip away at it.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

All this stuff about lead and steel and sourcing untainted steel from scuttled Imperial German ships is :krad: and I'm definitely reading more about it. The remark about lead roofs was from some article that was mostly discussing the pure longevity of various roofing materials. Didn't even think of lead roof theft (even though I've recently read about brick theft and the illegally salvaged brick trade in the South, and also old growth joist theft).

PainterofCrap posted:

There's an old joke in the property adjusting community:

"What do you pay a slate roofer?"

"Whatever he wants"

Lol. We'll see about the slate - that's like 10+ years down the road. I'm ambivalent because with this house being so drat tall and without much roof even visible from the ground/sidewalk, you're never going to get to look at it. It'd last for ages, though..

Speaking of property adjustment, I'm always wondering in the back of my head how it works for old fancy houses like Victorians because building standards were so different back then and what was once bog standard average poo poo is now high end and fancy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Queen Victorian posted:

All this stuff about lead and steel and sourcing untainted steel from scuttled Imperial German ships is :krad: and I'm definitely reading more about it. The remark about lead roofs was from some article that was mostly discussing the pure longevity of various roofing materials. Didn't even think of lead roof theft (even though I've recently read about brick theft and the illegally salvaged brick trade in the South, and also old growth joist theft).

Lol. We'll see about the slate - that's like 10+ years down the road. I'm ambivalent because with this house being so drat tall and without much roof even visible from the ground/sidewalk, you're never going to get to look at it. It'd last for ages, though..

Speaking of property adjustment, I'm always wondering in the back of my head how it works for old fancy houses like Victorians because building standards were so different back then and what was once bog standard average poo poo is now high end and fancy.

It’s usually only the fancy and nice houses that last that long. There were plenty of tar paper shacks and even just average houses that were truly standard building quality with just a wood shingle.

https://www.nps.gov/tps/how-to-preserve/briefs/4-roofing.htm

Even historical houses are subject to the same economic forces as regular houses. Grand mansions in cities with a lot of land are expensive on account of those things, plus the provenance of the house. Take away the land and move it to a minor town in the rust belt and most of that dissolves and the market contracts that price further when someone who can afford a $500k home doesn’t want to deal with old house problems.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Queen Victorian posted:

Ooh, I want to read about the illegal brick trade. Got a link handy?

I just bought a house with lovely but excessive brick paths all over the yard. It also has a chimney but no fireplace. I'm trying to decide if, when I excavate the fireplace, I want to dig all that up and return it to the surround/hearth from whence it likely came.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

there wolf posted:

Ooh, I want to read about the illegal brick trade. Got a link handy?

I just bought a house with lovely but excessive brick paths all over the yard. It also has a chimney but no fireplace. I'm trying to decide if, when I excavate the fireplace, I want to dig all that up and return it to the surround/hearth from whence it likely came.

Yeah keep them around! Even if the fireplace wasn't originally brick (we have a couple marbleized slate mantelpieces and a couple of wood ones with glazed ceramic tile surrounds - no brickwork inside) you could make a brick one or just keep them for future repairs to the house.

There are probably over 200 spare bricks lying around in my yard. Most of them were in a spider-filled pile against the house, which I converted to a cute little platform for the garbage cans, and the rest are being flowerbed borders at the moment. Oh, and there are still more in the basement. They all match the bricks the house is clad with, so I'm guessing they're like the extra buttons sewn onto the tag of your jacket - there in case you need them.

Here are a couple articles about brick theft:

https://www.stlmag.com/St-Louis-Brick-Thieves/

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/20/us/20brick.html

It's actually pretty depressing. I guess at this point all those buildings are ravaged or they've done something about it. Articles are several years old.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Facebook Aunt posted:

I bet females love it.

That was such a nice loving bathroom before he started, too :(

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Queen Victorian posted:

Yeah keep them around! Even if the fireplace wasn't originally brick (we have a couple marbleized slate mantelpieces and a couple of wood ones with glazed ceramic tile surrounds - no brickwork inside) you could make a brick one or just keep them for future repairs to the house.

There are probably over 200 spare bricks lying around in my yard. Most of them were in a spider-filled pile against the house, which I converted to a cute little platform for the garbage cans, and the rest are being flowerbed borders at the moment. Oh, and there are still more in the basement. They all match the bricks the house is clad with, so I'm guessing they're like the extra buttons sewn onto the tag of your jacket - there in case you need them.

Here are a couple articles about brick theft:

https://www.stlmag.com/St-Louis-Brick-Thieves/

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/20/us/20brick.html

It's actually pretty depressing. I guess at this point all those buildings are ravaged or they've done something about it. Articles are several years old.

Thanks. The house actually isn't brick, just the still present chimney and the old piers. At some point they walled up the fireplace, but kept the actual chimney stack to run the exhaust pipe from the furnace up. That's why I think all the yard brick had to be an old surround; it matches the chimney and it's really rare to find a non-brick fireplace where I live.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There's a similar problem with the structural steel elements of big instruments. For really sensitive gear you have to use steel last smelted before the dawn of the nuclear age. Currently a major source is, I poo poo you not, the Imperial German Navy, scuttled by Britain after the war in relatively shallow water.

The German fleet was anchored in British waters (at Scapa Flow) after armistice, and their own crews scuttled them as they feared the ships were to be seized and given to the Allied powers as reparations/loot.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

And most of them were salvaged by one guy, with zero marine salvage experience: Ernest Cox. It's a remarkable story, told here:

http://www.scapaflowwrecks.com/history/salvage.php

...and in great detail in the outstanding Joe Gores book about marine salvage I can't recommend highly enough:

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-salvage-unforgiving-business-cure/dp/B0006C0KU2

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Queen Victorian posted:

Re: morning yard work: Our house is overall better than our apartment for yard work noise EXCEPT the neighbor (a landlord - house is a rental) has his yard guy come at like 8am on Sunday. Yard is tiny and simple so he's gone again pretty quickly, but holy poo poo what's so hard about coming on a weekday or an hour or two later on the weekend?

Yard guy has a bunch of properties on his round, yours is the first (or maybe somewhere in the middle depending on local ordinances.)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
On my first morning in my new rental place in the city centre, I was woken at 5:20 in the loving morning by two blokes with leafblowers being followed by a streetsweeper as they wandered up and down the street outside my house.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That was such a nice loving bathroom before he started, too :(

It was a pretty run of the mill builder bathroom, a remodel wasn’t crazy if you had the funds, his design sense was just loving atrocious and rooted in hilarious sexism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

My roof was designed for my house in 1958. If I wanted to put a tile or metal roof, I'd have to have the whole structure re-evaluated and probably some substantial reinforcements.

Common metal roofing material does not require a structural evaluation/improvements - it's very light stuff. It will require a tear-off of your existing roof though (ie - you can't go over the existing shingles).

Asphalt to metal is a common upgrade, it's literally just a price swap during design/estimating for roofs with a 4:12 slope or greater.