Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Green Gloves posted:

Ebay got a 10% off coupon today. You can use it on any card used or new.

Gah, drat it. I won a 1080 just the other day. The price was good and it is an EVGA, so warranty. I bet bidding will be crazy today.

Sweatshop 1070 ti cards are where the bargains are at, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's a Gigabyte card, but Newegg is selling their 2070 for ~$450 after the today-only promo code PICKUPTEN: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-GeForce-RTX-2070-DirectX-12-GV-N2070WF3-8GC-8GB-256-Bit-GDDR6-PCI-Expre/292776834638

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
For those stockmongers of you out there, AMD released their earnings yesterday and...uh...

AMD shares crushed as weak graphic sales ding revenue

Turns out Ryzen/TR wasn't enough to offset crypto taking a massive poo poo, and their stock tanked to the tune of 20%.

Though NVidia is also down about 10% on the grounds that....AMD is down, I guess? AMD cited a soft GPU market as a reason for their earnings miss, and I guess a bunch of people thinks that that applies to NVidia, too. Time to buy a few more shares, methinks.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Isn't Nvidia sitting on a poo poo-ton of 10 series cards that vendors have sent back to them because they over-produced as a reaction to the mining insanity? I would think things will level out for them in the next year or two.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

il serpente cosmico posted:

Isn't Nvidia sitting on a poo poo-ton of 10 series cards that vendors have sent back to them because they over-produced as a reaction to the mining insanity? I would think things will level out for them in the next year or two.

Apparently yeah, something like 300, 000 boards were sent back. That said NV has been making money hand over fist for the last 4 or 5 years and still have little competition. This seem like a minor setback though I don't know if they have written it down yet or even if they will. The pricing structure of the 2000 series suggests that they are more than happy to flush out old inventory over time.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Did they really take back cards? The price positioning of the RTX cards seemed tailored to not undercut the 10-series line too directly, and makes me think that we'll see them as the <$500 'value' line for a while.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

They don't undercut the cards popular for mining, but are poorly positioned save the 2080ti.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
I just picked up a vega 64 for €400. Gonna run it and my 290 on a 400W PSU and watch my PC melt into the ground.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I dont know how much stock i put in that rumor really. It was from semiaccurate which... well..

Also the board partners have not so quietly been complaining that Nvidia refused to take any of the stock back that the partners had overbought, making them stick to their contracted purchases. That seems to be contradictory to the "Gigabyte returned 300k GP104s" rumor, although maybe they had a different contract with Nvidia.

It's worth noting that the board partners have quieted a ton lately as the Turing series launch went better than everyone expected, and the strong demand has let them gouge the Turing line while simultaneously keeping prices on Pascal high. The biggest complaint the partners seem to have now is that Nvidia cant get them enough 2080 Ti's to gouge with.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Cygni posted:

I dont know how much stock i put in that rumor really. It was from semiaccurate which... well..

Also the board partners have not so quietly been complaining that Nvidia refused to take any of the stock back that the partners had overbought, making them stick to their contracted purchases. That seems to be contradictory to the "Gigabyte returned 300k GP104s" rumor, although maybe they had a different contract with Nvidia.

It's worth noting that the board partners have quieted a ton lately as the Turing series launch went better than everyone expected, and the strong demand has let them gouge the Turing line while simultaneously keeping prices on Pascal high. The biggest complaint the partners seem to have now is that Nvidia cant get them enough 2080 Ti's to gouge with.

I'm surprised to hear that regarding the board partners and Turing. I know a lot of people are buying them (as evidenced by sales and the healthy used market), but I was under the impression that AIB margins on Turing are not very good. Maybe only for the base 2070s?

Edit: again, rumor, but the Turing supply is also constrained by the board's complexity. Aside from the board, the die itself is a whopper. I guess good thing it is on a mature process.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 25, 2018

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Yudo posted:

Gah, drat it. I won a 1080 just the other day. The price was good and it is an EVGA, so warranty. I bet bidding will be crazy today.

Sweatshop 1070 ti cards are where the bargains are at, however.

No kidding theres a glut of best offer type auctions where you can get a 1070 ti for $250 or less.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Green Gloves posted:

No kidding theres a glut of best offer type auctions where you can get a 1070 ti for $250 or less.

Just keep in mind that they were almost certainly used for mining (the 1070/70 ti was far more popular than the 1080 for crypto). That fact wouldn't deter me, espically for that price and if it was made by MSI or EVGA. I think those are the only two AIB vendors that allow warrenty transfer, but I could be very wrong.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte (and ASUS informally). With 1070 Tis you're also guaranteed at least 2+ years of remaining warranty, since they first released last November.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Man you can get some crazy deals on Polaris atm even in Europe.
Asus is running a promo with Kalypso and gamesplanet for a bunch of stuff on top of the Asscreed Odyssey bundle, Mindfactory finally has a non crappy 8GB 580 as a star deal, free midnight shipping, I surrender :unsmith:
Hope it undervolts decently.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
HardwareUnboxed did a video that showed the RX 570 and the 580 being like two of the best $/fps cards now. If you factor in the bundles its a steal.

Right now is like the best time for old gen stuff.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I have yet to see a Vega 64 for substantially below msrp. I don't know if that is mining hangover or if HBM is just that expensive.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Prolly cause the 590 is coming out real soon

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

$/fps seems a pointless metric when people have specific use cases that must be satisfied, i.e. resolution/fps goals. If you limit by that you can just compare the 2-4 cards that are appropriate and go from there.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

sauer kraut posted:

Man you can get some crazy deals on Polaris atm even in Europe.
Asus is running a promo with Kalypso and gamesplanet for a bunch of stuff on top of the Asscreed Odyssey bundle, Mindfactory finally has a non crappy 8GB 580 as a star deal, free midnight shipping, I surrender :unsmith:
Hope it undervolts decently.

Yeah, Vega has some good deals too, you can get Vega 56 Pulse for $320 AR at the moment. And asscreed is a pretty good pack-in too.

Dunno if that comes with Samsung memory or not, AFAIK most of them switched to Hynix and you can't run the V64 VBIOS to get the RAM voltage up, but it's still a better deal than 1070s atm.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

$/fps seems a pointless metric when people have specific use cases that must be satisfied, i.e. resolution/fps goals. If you limit by that you can just compare the 2-4 cards that are appropriate and go from there.

This is a great point, I went with a 8gb RX580 specifically because it was the cheapest way to get to play overwatch at 120-144fps on a 1440p freesync display. I would never suggest the card for other people wanting to go 1440p, but for my specific use case it's been fantastic.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Wonder if it would be worth it to go from 1070 to Vega 56 for Freesync.

I realize AMD is a long way from competing with products I can’t afford, but if you aren’t buying them anyway...

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, Vega has some good deals too, you can get Vega 56 Pulse for $320 AR at the moment. And asscreed is a pretty good pack-in too.

Dunno if that comes with Samsung memory or not, AFAIK most of them switched to Hynix and you can't run the V64 VBIOS to get the RAM voltage up, but it's still a better deal than 1070s atm.

where are you seeing vega56 for 320?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wargames posted:

where are you seeing vega56 for 320?

apparently over now, :rip:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

I would have bought that if i knew about also reading up on a tom's hardware on vega 56 and power modes the bios 2 and "power save" looks pretty awesome

Note this is witcher 3 at 4k

quote:

Using the secondary BIOS with a power limit reduced by 25% gets us 159.4W and 32.7 FPS. Compared to the stock settings, just 71.6% of the power consumption serves up 89% of the gaming performance.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-rx-vega-56,5202-21.html

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wargames posted:

I would have bought that if i knew about also reading up on a tom's hardware on vega 56 and power modes the bios 2 and "power save" looks pretty awesome

Note this is witcher 3 at 4k

Yeah it was one of the few fantastic deals I've seen on Vega so far. Almost never seen it that low.

Every card can be undervolted, NVIDIA cards do about 95% of stock performance at 65% power, per mining experimentation (see whattomine.com, mouse over various cards). Vega still is not efficient vs Pascal even with undervolting.

It's potentially a good deal with a 1440p FreeSync monitor though, the power consumption won't kill you.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 27, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

Well, I am sort of planning on going full idiot and getting a 9900K and 2x 2080 Ti to run renders on. That system potentially go up to something like 600W of heat for the loop to deal with, which is a lot for a single radiator.

The sane thing would of course be to get no more than a single very expensive GPU that'll only last a year, but if I were doing the sane thing I wouldn't be looking at assembling a custom watercooling loop in the first place.

I agree the fill/drain ports aren't a big deal, it's not an operation you do more than maybe once a year and the ports don't make much of a difference. The S2 still has one, though.

A bit of a necro, but I felt I should comment. You have a hell of a lot to cool, I'd recommend getting a case with an open front panel or a door. When you are under sustained 500w+ use the front panels of cases that are overly restricted become a serious bottleneck. The panel on the R6 is hinged so you can easily open it when you need to but the S2 only has a fixed panel. Even with my H700i, which is a higher airflow case compared to the R6/S2 (by GamersNexus benchmarks), and my custom loop that is around the same draw and quite literally the most radiator I can fit (360mm+280mm+120mm radiator, copper blocks D5 pump) I still drop 10c by taking the panels off.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's just noise though. Nothing's going to be melting, right?

I have to say, I'm pretty frustrated with the noise in my NZXT h200 vs my Fractal Design Define R4. Not only is it less acoustically insulated and more constrained by size, but I put it in a place where I can see it, which means it's that much louder!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

BurritoJustice posted:

A bit of a necro, but I felt I should comment. You have a hell of a lot to cool, I'd recommend getting a case with an open front panel or a door. When you are under sustained 500w+ use the front panels of cases that are overly restricted become a serious bottleneck. The panel on the R6 is hinged so you can easily open it when you need to but the S2 only has a fixed panel. Even with my H700i, which is a higher airflow case compared to the R6/S2 (by GamersNexus benchmarks), and my custom loop that is around the same draw and quite literally the most radiator I can fit (360mm+280mm+120mm radiator, copper blocks D5 pump) I still drop 10c by taking the panels off.

Thanks for the heads-up, I guess that makes unfortunate sense. I was hoping to circumvent the size/noise/temperature tradeoff with radiator surface area but I guess in the end I have to circulate just as much air as any other method to keep the ambient temperature even and doing that through constrained airflow will be either loud or not a thing. My old HAF X might have looked like arse, but it was paradoxically quiet with the giant 240mm side fan or whatever it was.

I have the space for a ginormous full tower, I'm already looking at boat money and I'd rather go big than go loud, so I might as well get a case that could also serve as an emergency raft. Time to go look at V3000s and Enthoo Elites I guess. Or maybe some ugly Thermaltake or Cooler Master garbage. Shopping for gaming equipment would be easier if I didn't loathe the gamer aesthetic with the incandescent fury of 10 000 burning Jony Ives.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, I guess that makes unfortunate sense. I was hoping to circumvent the size/noise/temperature tradeoff with radiator surface area but I guess in the end I have to circulate just as much air as any other method to keep the ambient temperature even and doing that through constrained airflow will be either loud or not a thing. My old HAF X might have looked like arse, but it was paradoxically quiet with the giant 240mm side fan or whatever it was.

I have the space for a ginormous full tower, I'm already looking at boat money and I'd rather go big than go loud, so I might as well get a case that could also serve as an emergency raft. Time to go look at V3000s and Enthoo Elites I guess. Or maybe some ugly Thermaltake or Cooler Master garbage. Shopping for gaming equipment would be easier if I didn't loathe the gamer aesthetic with the incandescent fury of 10 000 burning Jony Ives.

I buried it in my post but another option is using an R6 and then opening the front door when you need to do something intensive, should be equivalent to a high airflow case with it open. It is worth noting that the dust filter that Fractal provides is abnormally obstructive and can cost a small amount of performance but that's about it with the door open.

I'd also recommend looking at regular towers that have mesh fronts, it is worth considering the Lian Li O-11 Air/CM H500M/Cougar conquer (lol) as well off the top of my head.

I'm thinking of moving cases myself, my H700i is very tight with my setup and it is difficult to work in due to it. I've got milometers of clearance really. It's a fantastically designed case I've just outgrown it.

E: I was thinking of the cougar panzer but the conquer works too in a very uhh orange sorta way

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 27, 2018

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
It's more that if my radiator fans are pulling air to the point where the closed R6/S2 front is a significant airflow limitation then my radiator fans are almost certainly too drat loud for me to want to keep the case open. I considered the O11 Dynamic since it looks pretty good but it's about as constrained as air goes. The O11 Air is looks ok, the H500M ugly, the Conquer a hideous monstrosity that clashes with absolutely every other piece of furniture I own.

I'll probably go with the V3000 if I can get one, it's a reasonably good looking case and if I'm spending a few hundred bucks on it then it's going to be furniture I like the look of, dammit. Acute angles, greebles, highly saturated colors and whites with a color temperature over 3000K will be strictly banned.

Edit: "COUGAR PANZER - Military-Industrial Design" could be the result of an intentional effort by some nefarious power to find the name and description most likely to make me feel instant, visceral revulsion from googling a PC case. It's possible the problem here is me, but I have chosen to blame the world.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 27, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

It's more that if my radiator fans are pulling air to the point where the closed R6/S2 front is a significant airflow limitation then my radiator fans are almost certainly too drat loud for me to want to keep the case open. I considered the O11 Dynamic since it looks pretty good but it's about as constrained as air goes. The O11 Air is looks ok, the H500M ugly, the Conquer a hideous monstrosity that clashes with absolutely every other piece of furniture I own.

I'll probably go with the V3000 if I can get one, it's a reasonably good looking case and if I'm spending a few hundred bucks on it then it's going to be furniture I like the look of, dammit. Acute angles, greebles, highly saturated colors and whites with a color temperature over 3000K will be strictly banned.

If I had the space I would definitely have an Enthoo Elite or a V3000. I'm facing the same problem of ugly cases that are reasonably sized or no-compromise beautiful full-towers that need two people and a trolley to move.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
I just moved my machine into a V3000 from a midi tower. I was tired of having such a cramped space to work in and no options for the tubing layout. I recommend the case. There are some questionable design decisions regarding access through certain panels. A few simple holes would have made tubing layout simpler, but otherwise I like it a lot.

It's all aluminium and I can carry it alone even when the loop is full. The footprint of the case is almost identical to that of the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 I replaced (8cm deeper).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Xerophyte posted:

Edit: "COUGAR PANZER - Military-Industrial Design" could be the result of an intentional effort by some nefarious power to find the name and description most likely to make me feel instant, visceral revulsion from googling a PC case. It's possible the problem here is me, but I have chosen to blame the world.
If you want a full tower that isn't some design Darth Vader rejected for being too edgy, have a look at the Corsair Obsidian 750D. You could also grab the optional perforated front panel, but otherwise the case is pretty close to a perfect monolith and can still hold a boatload of water cooling hardware.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
if Lian-Li V3000s and Enthoo Elites are on the table, the 2013 analogue would be the Corsair 900D

no tempered glass because 2013 though

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I'm looking at the airflow version of the 750D for my new desktop as it's only $10 more than the regular model. Really I'm stuck trying to decide between that case or a Define R2 XL for quieter running. I'm tired of reusing my current Thermaltake Armor, but I do like the extra space inside a full tower when building and the size has meant I could run all fans at 7v. Definitely heavy though.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The Define S looks way better than the S2. PSU shrouds are so useless. Why would you want to lose that bottom fan spot for a shroud?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
While I might not be a buyer for the 2080Ti at $1300, it's kinda hard to not :hmmyes: at this: https://wccftech.com/evga-lists-elusive-999-evga-geforce-rtx-2080ti-black-edition/amp/

I doubt I'd even try overclocking it.

I also can't imagine with that thing being "a thing that exists," that they'll be able to continue selling upmarket 2080s for $100-150 less. I know it's going to be a poo poo-binned chip, but even a poo poo-binned 2080Ti will be better than the best 2080. Gonna have to be a goddamned ninja, though - there's no way that the ultra-enthusiasts aren't going to snap these up wholesale to NVLink with custom waterblocks.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 28, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

The Define S looks way better than the S2. PSU shrouds are so useless. Why would you want to lose that bottom fan spot for a shroud?

PSU shrouds aren't useless when aesthetics are a concern, which they are in this case (and most cases in the current market). The S2 is more importantly a huge step up in design and radiator support. I personally think the R6 is a better buy for the same money but I wouldn't recommend the old S anymore.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

While I might not be a buyer for the 2080Ti at $1300, it's kinda hard to not :hmmyes: at this: https://wccftech.com/evga-lists-elusive-999-evga-geforce-rtx-2080ti-black-edition/amp/

Remember that 2080 Ti are supposedly heavily binned by Nvidia. In reality we'll have to see how it plays out, but there could be some major clock or thermal issues with these cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
That's cool of EVGA. I feel like they're the one good gfx card brand to go for these days so it makes sense