Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Evis posted:

The SE was under 500 here, and the Xr is over 1000. It’s a weird budget option.

Edit: yeah, you are right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Do you guys think the Pro models will have more life in them than the standard versions? I have an original 12.9” Pro and am not noticing it getting sluggish or anything, even for editing in Lightroom. My other two iPads before that, and iPad 2 and then iPad Air were both starting to feel slower a couple of years in from what I remember. I don’t know if it is that the hardware is starting to equalize out a bit nowadays or if the os changes back when I was using those iPads were more drastic and required more from older hardware that couldn’t deal with it as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

rio posted:

Do you guys think the Pro models will have more life in them than the standard versions? I have an original 12.9” Pro and am not noticing it getting sluggish or anything, even for editing in Lightroom. My other two iPads before that, and iPad 2 and then iPad Air were both starting to feel slower a couple of years in from what I remember. I don’t know if it is that the hardware is starting to equalize out a bit nowadays or if the os changes back when I was using those iPads were more drastic and required more from older hardware that couldn’t deal with it as well.

Well, Apple will put out a new version of their AX processors every year or so, with each successive processor being improved in various ways, be it more cache, more ~neural cores~, more optimized instruction sets, or whatever. It's up to the individual app makers to decide what hardware to optimize for. If Adobe's internal metrics is telling them that 90% of all their Photoshop users are on the newest SoC with twice as much X then the previous SoC then Adobe will optimize for that market segment.

Your iPad isn't going to get slower, it's just that app developers will start taking advantage of the new hardware features as long as their business department tells them it makes sense to.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

rio posted:

Depends on what chipset they use and what Apple hopes the device will be capable of now/in the future.

On the one hand, many- if not most- reviews of the new iPhones seem to agree that they are almost comically overpowered and they seem to share the opinion that people can expect to hold onto them for a long time without feeling a performance pressure to upgrade soon. On the other hand, Apple probably expects the iPads to make much more liberal use of those resources for things like multitasking, split-screen, heavy-lift apps like Photoshop, and just the extra work of feeding a much larger display with double the refresh rate. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a special iPad Pro version of the A12 just like in the past.

Also, none of us actually know what new software tricks Apple has in the pipeline for the next few years. They have more-or-less shared that a lot of the beef in their new SoCs is designed with behind-the-scenes AI/AR in mind (so that, like, your AI-modified portrait photos feel as snappy and instantaneous as taking regular pictures, for example), and it’s quite possible that Apple has some feature planned for an upcoming iOS update that will exhaust the horsepower of the A12 Bionicle and leave owners feeling like their shiny phones are chugging after 2 years. At the same time, I’m willing to take their talk about better optimizing for older devices as most people settle into holding onto them longer at face value.

My hunch is that, based on the consistency of chatter around an impending AR/VR headset and rumors of the Mac switching to in-house designed chips in 2020, Apple’s trying to flex their chip design muscle as much as possible and the A12 may be as much of a test case as it is future-proofing for these expensive-rear end phones.

Also (semi-unrelated), you can probably count on the iPad Pros getting a price increase like the iPhone did if Apple adds FaceID.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also (semi-unrelated), you can probably count on the iPad Pros getting a price increase like the iPhone did if Apple adds FaceID.

Based on nothing at all but my guess, I think they'll bump the Pro's up $100 each to $749 for the 10.5 and $899 for the 12.9 but drop the price of the regular iPad to $299 and then upgrade the mini for probably the same price as their budget options. And I'm gonna buy the new big Pro even though my 2017 Big Pro is just fine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Apple hasn’t been able to control iPad prices like they do iPhones. The devices last longer and there are fewer reasons to upgrade so demand is softer.

Apple will definitely try to charge a premium for a smaller bezel iPad Pro with FaceTime. They’ll probably give it an exclusive feature like multiuser accounts as well.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Multiuser iPads would actually encourage me to upgrade.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Multiuser is a great idea but like hell I’d let anyone else use my fancy new ipad pro!! (Especially kids)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Multiuser is already available to schools, so there's zero hardware reason to make it exclusive to new iPads.

(Not that that would stop Apple from doing it, but.)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Come on, new Apple Pencil!

Let me snap my wireless/watch charger to my pencil you nut heads!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Rolo posted:

Come on, new Apple Pencil!

Let me snap my wireless/watch charger to my pencil you nut heads!

Conspiracy theory - they want you to lose your Pencil. I have two because I thought I lost one and who benefits from that? :tinfoil:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Pros have more ram than the regular iPads so that should help out with longevity a bit too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’ll be interesting to see if the new pro loses the home button to be more like the X because I feel like my 10.5 already has the perfect amount of bezel for holding it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Yeah I can’t really imagine holding a large iPad comfortably without bezels. Maybe they expect us to keep it on our laps or a table but then why not just get a laptop. But with some questionable iPad decisions in the past and then seeming to not understand what people want (combined with some just accepting anything with an apple on it) I wouldn’t be surprised. I’m not trying to sound too cynical here, I’m just preemptively upset about users being told that we are holding it wrong if we rely on the bezels in the face of this possibly brave upcoming decision to remove the bezels.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Handing the device to someone without errant screen inputs is now legacy functionality

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

FCKGW posted:

The Pros have more ram than the regular iPads so that should help out with longevity a bit too.

All the RAM in the iPad Pro doesn’t stop garbage-tier Microsoft Word from closing itself after being backgrounded for ~5 minutes.

Meanwhile, I was recording a lecture in Notability last night, left class at 6, went to bed at 9, and while reading some things before bed noticed Notability had stayed open and recording that entire time from 6-9 without missing a beat.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So, my Shortcuts app has 781MB of "Documents and Data", assumedly from a video conversion process it was running that crashed out.
Anyway to clear it out without losing all my shortcuts?

edit: Never mind, I guess Shortcuts are stored in iCloud since a delete and reinstall brought them all back but freed up that space.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 26, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Question Mark Mound posted:

So, my Shortcuts app has 781MB of "Documents and Data", assumedly from a video conversion process it was running that crashed out.
Anyway to clear it out without losing all my shortcuts?

edit: Never mind, I guess Shortcuts are stored in iCloud since a delete and reinstall brought them all back but freed up that space.

You can also backup your shortcuts. If you look at the “get my shortcuts” action it tells you how.

I would suggest backing up often. There are people (even someone in the iPhone thread I think) who had their poo poo poo poo corrupted and lost everything.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Let me be a cautionary tale about installing betas on your primary devices. All the lag and latency plaguing my 12 inch iPad went away when I took it to the Apple store and they downgraded it from 12.1 to 12.01. It may still come back, but so far it's been lag free. Don't be me. Keep a pre-beta backup on iTunes.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

If you’re a normal user, i don’t see a single reason to bother with betas, even if you have a lot of free time.

Unless you were working in an app and wanted to check compatibility or something, why even bother

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
It’s odd to me that you can’t restore from a given iCloud backup, but then tell the device to start a new backup (and leave the old one alone).

Would really help in cases where you load a beta, go to bed, then wake up to iOS backups that won’t work on anything but the next point release.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So the rumors look pretty solid that the new iPad pros will be USB C. Not a big deal, but what is the actual advantage over lightning?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

So the rumors look pretty solid that the new iPad pros will be USB C. Not a big deal, but what is the actual advantage over lightning?

Would it allow you to use an iPad as a second screen to a MBP or an Apple desktop? Or is that a no-no because it'd be USB-C and not TB3?

Apple's eventually going to move to USB-C so it's likely just the first step. The 2019 iPhone may be a redesign (not sure if the Xr counts as a brand new design) so if Apple brings USB-C to the iPad Pro in 2018 we'll probably see an USB-C iPhone next year.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Attaching to a 4K monitor (say a conference room display). Lightning doesn’t have the bandwidth for that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
USB C would legit make me upgrade. I’d love to carry one cord for my phone, iPad and Nintendo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I doubt I’ll have a need for USB C, but I can see why they’re doing it. Not the end of the world to have different cables for the phone and iPad.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Attaching to a 4K monitor (say a conference room display). Lightning doesn’t have the bandwidth for that.

I thought Lightning was a connector, not a standard for data transfer. The iPads Pro support USB 3.0, and AFAIK there's enough bandwidth there to support a 4K signal.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I can’t imagine they’d switch to usb-c when they have so many accessories tied up in lightning. It’s not a huge jump for phones, at any rate.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Are the rumors pointing towards a usb-c connection on the Pro itself though?

Or is it like the newest Apple Watch charger where just one end is usb-c but the device will remain Lightning.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Are the rumors pointing towards a usb-c connection on the Pro itself though?

Or is it like the newest Apple Watch charger where just one end is usb-c but the device will remain Lightning.

I’m really confused on this. The Apple Watch never used a lightning charger.

The rumors are the port for the iPad will be USB C. Given how Apple has worked with USB C so far, I would assume that the charger in the box is also C to C, but I can’t see why anyone with a USB A (regular USB) to C charger wouldn’t be able to charge it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m really confused on this. The Apple Watch never used a lightning charger.

This would be cool though. If I could just have the magnet charger head plug into a lightning so I don’t need another cord taking up space.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Pants Donkey posted:

I can’t imagine they’d switch to usb-c when they have so many accessories tied up in lightning. It’s not a huge jump for phones, at any rate.

Apple don’t give a fuuuuuuuck how much a person has spent before that very moment. To them, you’ll buy all the new expensive dongles from them so your device looks like a late 90s Game Boy and you’ll like it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lightning cables aren't the money-maker they once were. Wireless charging is now standard across all their new phones and while Apple makes money off certifying 3rd party cables, that's a far cry from selling $20 Lightning cables direct to customers like they could a few years ago.

Apple's already thrown down with USB-C on their laptops and iMacs so it makes sense to transition their mobile devices as well. The iPad Pro is the perfect device to do this with because it's a niche product and you just spent $800 on a tablet. Are you really going to bitch and moan about buying a spare USB-C cable too?*

* the answer is of course you are, but you will still buy it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple moved to lightning because they wanted to finally drop the 30 pin but USB-C wasn't mature enough yet so they came up with another type that shared a lot of features of USB-C that they could push out right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Would it allow you to use an iPad as a second screen to a MBP or an Apple desktop? Or is that a no-no because it'd be USB-C and not TB3?

Apple's eventually going to move to USB-C so it's likely just the first step. The 2019 iPhone may be a redesign (not sure if the Xr counts as a brand new design) so if Apple brings USB-C to the iPad Pro in 2018 we'll probably see an USB-C iPhone next year.

USB-C is thicker than Lightning enough that I imagine Apple would keep the latter around on the iPhone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

USB-C port, but I'm sure I'll never be able to use a mouse on my iPad which means I'll always need to have a laptop for work.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I guess that means a new pencil 2

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I guess that means a new pencil 2

That’s been in the rumor mill semi-independent of the USB-C talk.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve had a change of heart in regards to my bitching about people wanting smaller and smaller bezels. If you show me a 12.9 pro that fits a little easier in my bag and a fancy new pencil for drawing, it might be on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Jesus, buying a new Pencil, new dongles, new cords etc. with absolutely no benefits (for me) will make me stay away from upgrading as long as possible.