Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, you can either buy the limited ed Subterranean Press physical copy or the omnibus eBook (that has the other two you already bought). No option to get the mass market or eBook of just the new one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

I was looking for hints about Dalinar, and just about every time he's mentioned doing something heroic in his armor it's mentioned about it glowing faintly, even before it's been significantly damaged.

It's pretty clear that proto-Radiants are able to breathe in Stormlight even before they've said the first oath. That's why Dalinar's shoulder actually functions and how Kaladin was able to do so well as a squad leader in Amaram's army.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Started re-reading the Wheel of Time again thanks to you jerks. Figure if I get bogged down in books ~8-9 like I always do, I'll cut my losses and read some synopses (links appreciated, btw, I've so far only bookmarked this one) to bridge myself over to the Sanderson tomes (or maybe the one prior).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Xenix posted:

It's pretty clear that proto-Radiants are able to breathe in Stormlight even before they've said the first oath. That's why Dalinar's shoulder actually functions and how Kaladin was able to do so well as a squad leader in Amaram's army.

Yup, but it's interesting because of the interaction with the armor. Does it work like a second skin, and it's absorbing/reflecting the storm light coming off Dalinar's skin? We know plate helps surgebinders use it more efficiently already, but is something else going on? Is it the plate itself resurrecting somewhat, glowing from its own internal power in reaction to Dalinar doing proto-Radiant things? Where is Dalinar getting storm light from? If it's the armor I'd expect it to glow less, not more.

Related, but is the reason Elhokars plate had a bunch of drained gems after the assassination attempt for that reason? If so it's evidence Dalinar was doing something different.

Also it was fun reading Elhokar's paranoia understanding what was really going on. And also sad :(

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

DarkHorse posted:

Yup, but it's interesting because of the interaction with the armor. Does it work like a second skin, and it's absorbing/reflecting the storm light coming off Dalinar's skin? We know plate helps surgebinders use it more efficiently already, but is something else going on? Is it the plate itself resurrecting somewhat, glowing from its own internal power in reaction to Dalinar doing proto-Radiant things? Where is Dalinar getting storm light from? If it's the armor I'd expect it to glow less, not more.

Related, but is the reason Elhokars plate had a bunch of drained gems after the assassination attempt for that reason? If so it's evidence Dalinar was doing something different.

Also it was fun reading Elhokar's paranoia understanding what was really going on. And also sad :(

IIRC, Elkohar's armor had a bunch of cracked gems, but that might have been from getting a chasmfiend claw to the chest (or may have been sabotage to have his armor lose power if attacked, I forget). Radiants draining stormlight don't crack gems, just stops them from glowing.

We haven't seen "live" armor interact with stormlight. Dead-spren shardplate tends to sucks up stormlight from Radiants to keep powered--using that would be a terrible idea for surgebinders (though keep them protected). Live plate may be much more light-neutral/efficient to operate.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
It's been quite a while since I've read that nook. But I thought it was pretty clever writing. I read it as Elhokar drained most of the light from his plate because of the race with Dalinar. The plate then cracks quicker than it should if it was fully powered when he gets hit by the chasmfiend. It made us think that he was potentially being attacked both because of his saddle strap and the plate broke easily.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Onto the Dragon Reborn. Time for Mat to become an actual character! Wee

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have to say, I'm slightly bemused by tor.com mining Wheel of Time for all that it's worth. We had a reread of all the books, then an abbreviated re-reread of the first books, because the first reread posts were more barebones than later ones. Now we have a WoT read, from a person who's never read the books before. It's a bit silly. And I'm the sucker who still reads all those posts.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Re Dalinar plate in wok: after reading the three books, I took the glowing and Dalinar's ability to hold off a chasmfiend attack due to his investing in stormlight and also the way he treats his plate. Not painting it and spending a lot of time learning it until he is a master at it. If shardplate is anything like shardblades, there should be some level of consciousness and ability to bend rules (increase strength beyond normal dead shardplate) similarly to Adolin and his interactions with his blade.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

IIRC, Elkohar's armor had a bunch of cracked gems, but that might have been from getting a chasmfiend claw to the chest (or may have been sabotage to have his armor lose power if attacked, I forget). Radiants draining stormlight don't crack gems, just stops them from glowing.

We haven't seen "live" armor interact with stormlight. Dead-spren shardplate tends to sucks up stormlight from Radiants to keep powered--using that would be a terrible idea for surgebinders (though keep them protected). Live plate may be much more light-neutral/efficient to operate.

Early Words of Radiance spoiler:

Shallan cracked a bunch of gems during the assassination of Jasnah on the Wind's Pleasure. Granted that was Soulcasting an entire ship into water, but it's clear that draining gems too fast can damage them

packsmack posted:

It's been quite a while since I've read that nook. But I thought it was pretty clever writing. I read it as Elhokar drained most of the light from his plate because of the race with Dalinar. The plate then cracks quicker than it should if it was fully powered when he gets hit by the chasmfiend. It made us think that he was potentially being attacked both because of his saddle strap and the plate broke easily.
It wasn't just the plates that cracked, but the gems themselves used to anchor them. But yeah it's a great misdirection because you've got the first red herring with the strap, and the second with the gems. Oathbringer: What was Elhokar's spren again? Was it another Cryptic? What made him so paranoid, if so?

Also it's neat catching the different descriptions of how Nalan moves - early on I didn't notice how he moves shadow to shadow like how Lift comments about him moving faster than he appeared

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

DarkHorse posted:

Oathbringer: What was Elhokar's spren again? Was it another Cryptic? What made him so paranoid, if so?

It was another Cryptic yes. In Words of Radiance, remember how Shallan freaked out when she started seeing the "symbolheads"? There's a chapter where Elhokar mutters something about seeing things that makes Shallan think he was seeing them too

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DarkHorse posted:

Oathbringer: What was Elhokar's spren again? Was it another Cryptic? What made him so paranoid, if so?

You can see this in the Oathbringer epilogue: Wit enters a bond with the Cryptic that would have bonded with Elkohar.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Totally forgot that and haven't caught back up there, thanks guys!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Spoilers for later in the series I guess.
I've realized that Elaida is Basically Trump as a leader. Doesn't know what she's doing and every action she takes divides her people.
I'm only to The Dragon Reborn on my reread, but I'm remembering later books and it adds up.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The sense of grandiose self importance leading to wasteful expensive distractions certainly matches up.

Elaida at least had integrity tho

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OAquinas posted:

I think the dead gemstones in his armor was due to his own acts of sabotage to try and make people believe him that he was being stalked constantly (he was, by spren) and that people were trying to kill him.

Though taking a chasmfiend claw to the chest would also be high on the list of things that could damage shardplate gemstones due to the amount of strain that'd cause.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Skyward posted:

“So . . . ,” I said. “You’re saying that by the end of our training, you expect us to be able to use grappling hooks made of energy to smash our enemies with flaming chunks of space debris?”

“Yes.”

“That . . . ,” I whispered, “that’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard.”

Spensa knows what's up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kindle e-books of Stormlight Archives are on sale for $3 each:
https://slickdeals.net/f/12170704-brandon-sanderson-the-stormlight-archive-kindle-ebooks-3-each

If I enjoy WOT, but am currently actively hating reading the books in the middle, would I also enjoy these? I've never read Sanderson.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

https://slickdeals.net/f/12170704-brandon-sanderson-the-stormlight-archive-kindle-ebooks-3-each

If I enjoy WOT, but am currently actively hating reading the books in the middle, would I also enjoy these? I've never read Sanderson.

They're really good but with oathbringer (book 3) it seems like he is starting to get bogged down by his own plot

e: $3 is a steal, these are huge books

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think Oathbringer was the best so far.

Definitely all of them are worth the money.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

mewse posted:

They're really good but with oathbringer (book 3) it seems like he is starting to get bogged down by his own plot

Naa Oathbringer was the best of them so far (dalinar flashback was by far the best done and the most satisfying). The scope is expanding, but it's still in control and going no where near WOT terribleness.

quote:

Sanderson is great at building a world, and a story that feels complete in that world. everything seems to fit together and foreshadowing is done in a great way that you don't often notice until a reread but is clearly there. The stories feel whole which I really like about his style. Some people don't like his style, and there are (easily) better writers out there, but I think his works end up being better than the sum of their parts.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

mewse posted:

I don't get people who say this. Book 3 was loving incredible, I dunno if I'd say it's the best but that's just because I loved the hell out of Book 1. Finally getting Dalinar's backstory and then the culmination of all that in his encounter with Odium was so so so good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This is a steal, they are each over 1000 pages long. But be advised that he only released the first three books of this 10 book series. Sanderson is a very prolific writer, so there's little reason to fear another Robert Jordan/George Martin/Patrick Rothfuss bullshit, but it will still take about 20 years for the series to complete if Sanderson sticks to his outlined timeline.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Book 1: 1009 pages. Holy moly.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I think Oathbringer is the weakest of the three, but that's relative. The weakest Stormlight book is still better than 95% of all fantasy novels on the market.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think Oathbringer had the best Flashbacks, but overall not my favorite of the series so far.

That said, I definitely enjoyed Oathbringer more than I've enjoyed the entirety of what I've read from Wheel of Time :v:

And as others have said, $3 is a loving bargain and a half. Unless you're seriously tight on cash I'd say just grab all 3. Even if you don't end up liking it, it's only $9 total :shrug:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For me, each book has been better than the previous ones. But that's mainly due to the flashbacks. Book 1 flashbacks are the weakest, I don't even bother with them on the reread. There are imho zero interesting bits to them,. Book 2 flashbacks are more interesting at least, and shed a lot more light on Shallan than Kaladin's flashback in Way of Kings. But they are still not the most exciting passages to read.

Enter Oathbringer, and you have flashbacks that are thrilling, heartwarming, funny, horrifying, fascinating, etc. The whole gamut, Dalinar is by far my favorite Stormlight character.

I think the non-flashback parts are equally strong in both Oathbringer and Way of Kings, with Words of Radiance beating them both. But the Dalinar sections simply elevate Oathrbinger above the other two.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Buy them for that price but finish the wheel of time first. If you stop you won't remember anything. Just power through.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yup, I just bought all 3. When I get through WOT in 2 years, I'll start on them :v:

2/3 through book 8 and it's complete garbage. Although, there was just a Seanchan battle, so at least something happened.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Yup, I just bought all 3. When I get through WOT in 2 years, I'll start on them :v:

2/3 through book 8 and it's complete garbage. Although, there was just a Seanchan battle, so at least something happened.

I'm on book 4 right now. I forgot how good the whole two rivers sequence is. Also the waste sequences. The whole book is so good.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I liked WoR the most so far, but that's probably because I don't care much about flashbacks in general.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

This is a steal, they are each over 1000 pages long. But be advised that he only released the first three books of this 10 book series. Sanderson is a very prolific writer, so there's little reason to fear another Robert Jordan/George Martin/Patrick Rothfuss bullshit, but it will still take about 20 years for the series to complete if Sanderson sticks to his outlined timeline.

He's planning on wrapping up most things in book 5, then having a timeskip before 6-10 focuses on different main characters. Like Chronicles of Amber but hopefully not lovely.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Every single cosmere book is better than wheel of time, don't get tricked into reading wheel of time.

mewse
May 2, 2006

hot date tonight! posted:

Every single cosmere book is better than wheel of time, don't get tricked into reading wheel of time.

It’s not strictly necessary but people won’t fully understand the backstory of the cosmere unless they take a weekend and read wheel of time

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mewse posted:

It’s not strictly necessary but people won’t fully understand the backstory of the cosmere unless they take a weekend and read wheel of time

:hmmyes:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Taffer posted:

I don't get people who say this. Book 3 was loving incredible, I dunno if I'd say it's the best but that's just because I loved the hell out of Book 1. Finally getting Dalinar's backstory and then the culmination of all that in his encounter with Odium was so so so good.

I'm right there with you. I could not put Oathbringer down. Honestly I think most of the gripes were because there was a bigger than originally anticipated gap between Words of Radiance and Oathbringer and people wanted certain scenes (e.g. Jasnah + whoever reunions) to be shown on the page because they are interested in the characters rather than considering if it is necessary for the story.

Also equally puzzling to me are those who complain that the entire sequence in Shadesmar could have been skipped without losing anything. There was loads of stuff revealed in there (big and small reveals) that made it interesting for me. And Sanderson is very into his foreshadowing, etc. So I doubt he would have put unnecessary things in the book if he didn't need to for plot reasons.

That said, I still want to read the deleted scene about Pattern being famous.

On another note, is anyone else excited for Skyward? It is his YA stuff and originally I wasn't planning on reading it but then again, girl and her spaceship riff off of the whole boy and his dragon thing and the preview chapters have been fun so I will probably read that while waiting for the next Mistborn (which I can't wait to read).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Leng posted:

On another note, is anyone else excited for Skyward? It is his YA stuff and originally I wasn't planning on reading it but then again, girl and her spaceship riff off of the whole boy and his dragon thing and the preview chapters have been fun so I will probably read that while waiting for the next Mistborn (which I can't wait to read).

I wouldn't say I'm excited for it, but I'm definitely going to read it.

And it's going to be better than any/all of WoT :colbert:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mewse posted:

dragonsteel had nothing to do with wheel of time though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sanderson s biggest problem is he kind gets bogged down in world building which can result in pacing issues especially for the archives which is his baby.

Honestly a world building book separate from the actual series was probably best but I guess he couldn’t sell the publisher on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sanderson s biggest problem is he kind gets bogged down in world building which can result in pacing issues especially for the archives which is his baby.

Honestly a world building book separate from the actual series was probably best but I guess he couldn’t sell the publisher on that

Thats kind of what Arcanum unbound is. Side stories that cover a lot of the behind the scenes stuff.