Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson on the non-fiction side, a hulking single-volume history of the American Civil War and its causes. It's an excellent way to get back in touch with a deeply complicated time in American (my) history, which does not skip on the political context that drove the military campaigns. It's also a fantastic reinforcement for anyone who wondered even for a second if the Confederacy had any moral legitimacy whatsoever (the answer is no, and the rebel government will show you why in their own words). A very readable ride through the Republic's darkest hours, with a fantastic bibliography if you would like to know more.

The Sympathizer by Viet Tahn Ngyuen on the fiction side. Magisterially human in its portrayal of a fundamentally conflicted Communist agent in deep cover with the South Vietnamese secret police, the novel approaches the end of the war with a dry, cutting humor. It's been compared to Catch 22, but it isn't uproariously funny in the way Catch 22 is. Rather, it is a very personal and dark humor that doesn't go after War Itself, but the consequences for individuals in its aftermath. Best enjoyed with a cocktail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, read by Steven Pacey.

This is the 5th (2nd standalone) book of the First Law Trilogy. Unlike the last book which could be read on its own, I think this one needs to be read in the right order or it loses a lot of the context.
This has been the book on the series I have liked the least, maybe because I just dislike war stories in general or because the characters didn't feel as strong as the other books. Out of 6 main PoV characters I can say I only really cared about 2 of them, while the others felt unnecessary or just there to witness the war from another perspective.
The fighting scenes were pretty good and Abercrombie does some fun stuff with the way he tells them, like a chapter where he moves down the army's chain of command from one PoV to another.
Despite not being my favorite book I still think it is worth a read, especially if it comes into play in the last book which I will move on to next.

I always praise Pacey, but I think I can now say he is my favorite narrator.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Bilirubin posted:

Nnedi Okorafor's Who Fears Death. If you like magic in your post apocalyptic Africa-set stories, then check this one out. It has elements of horror, weird, and sci fi, rolled into a fantasy burrito. A female take on the classic hero cycle. Good stuff worth a read.

Can confirm, this is very good but also be warned it can get very intense and bleak. Definitely not a light and cheerful read.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Lawen posted:

I think I’ve read everything Matt Ruff has written and Set This House in Order is still my favorite so check it out if you haven’t 🙂
Purchased, but Bad Monkeys showed up first so I'm reading it instead.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Glad to hear it! :)
I really do appreciate it. I've been in a bit of a funk, and anything requiring, well, "concentration" or "drive" has suffered and that includes reading, but something about Lovecraft Country grabbed me and for at least the time being it got me looking forward to reading again. I smashed through Mirage, I'm midway through Bad Monkeys, and I'm pretty sure Set This House in Order is in one of the padded envelopes that showed up yesterday. I have about five billion books I haven't gotten around to, so hopefully I can hold on to this!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finished The Haunting of Drearcliff Grange School by Kim Newman, which I read over the weekend. I don't tend to read very much fantasy these days but I enjoyed it; I like most of Newman's books and I prefer the sort of story paper/pulp-influenced setting he's created with various books more than his Anno Dracula series.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Purchased, but Bad Monkeys showed up first so I'm reading it instead.
I really do appreciate it. I've been in a bit of a funk, and anything requiring, well, "concentration" or "drive" has suffered and that includes reading, but something about Lovecraft Country grabbed me and for at least the time being it got me looking forward to reading again. I smashed through Mirage, I'm midway through Bad Monkeys, and I'm pretty sure Set This House in Order is in one of the padded envelopes that showed up yesterday. I have about five billion books I haven't gotten around to, so hopefully I can hold on to this!

I've been curious but hesitant about Mirage. I've got a real soft spot for Fool on the Hill though. It's a first novel, but one with some definite strong points.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Ben Nevis posted:

I've been curious but hesitant about Mirage. I've got a real soft spot for Fool on the Hill though. It's a first novel, but one with some definite strong points.

Mirage is worth a look, especially if you already like Ruff. It’s an interesting post-9/11 alternate history. I think it, like Bad Monkeys and Lovecraft Country, is a bit more accessible than Fool on the Hill or The Public Works trilogy (and I say that while also having a soft spot for Fool). There’s a definite arc to his career with his first two books being weirder and rougher, the two most recent being pretty polished and accessible, and the middle two being somewhere in between.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Last night I finished reading I have America Surrounded: The Life of Timothy Leary.
Overall it was a good read, very forgiving of Tim Leary's faults + his many many self-inflicted fuckups. The S.M.I2..L.E. or SMIILE meme came up in the book & finally makes sense to me now.

The S.M.I2.L.E. meme stands for space migration, legrange points or life extension along with adult education, nuero-linguistic reprogramming, and universal basic incomes that would have enlightened educated people migrating to space stations built in the LeGrange points while leaving all the working class/conservative chuds behind on earth.

Freed from dealing with earthbound chuds the super-educated space station peeps would then be able to focus their energies on massive improvements in psychology, zero g sex, space exploration, general science, and medical science to the extent of transcending death in a hippy version of the singularity.

Basically both Robert Anton Wilson + Timothy Leary were in their "LSD every-day, LSD every-way" phase when they dreamed up S.M.I2.L.E. and even at it's most coherent setup the SMIILE meme required multiple "underpant gnomes" style ??? stages to make things happen.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Ben Nevis posted:

It's funny -- many of the too-on-the-nose parallels in his alternate world made me roll my eyes ... and then when the back story came together they added to the story rather than detracted from it. Additionally, though I can't quite explain how, Ruff cones across as genuinely interested in understanding that which he researches for his books, rather than just exploiting them for setting hooks.

Both books I've read thus far make me wish I could get a group together for tabletop roleplaying again, and then I remember that I am lazy and lack imagination.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Last Days of New Paris by China Mieville. Somebody sets off a device in Paris during the war that pulls surrealist art off the page and into the streets. Nazis naturally combat this with demons. The book is an interesting idea that doesn't ever fully mature in my opinion. Part of it was the wandering of the carefully named streets of Paris being in a jumble (from Sacre Coeurs to Montparnasse to the right embankment to Ile de la Cite to the left bank)--perhaps that was intended though? When the action kicks into higher gear the narrative loses a bit more focus. It is a neat idea but after reading Gravity's Rainbow bizarre WWII stories just seems done already. Also, gently caress. Mengele? Artist Hitler??? UGH

shagyan
Nov 3, 2015
i have just finished all three books of CRAZY Rich Asians.

The books gives you the culture of high end society of mainland china, Singapore. This is also not about being history it talks about the time frame from japan invders in china to current stage. There it have all drama, history and whole new world.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Salamander's Fire by Brian Stableford, the second book of his Genesys trilogy. I have never read a book like it - the author really flexed his creative muscles here, adding more strange and wonderful environments and ecosystems and critters to his world, while advancing and exploring the politics of the humans who live in 'em. Plot-wise it was a middle book and moved slowly, but I didn't mind. It was a delight to read each chapter and see how things unfolded.

While the ending read less like an ending and more like a "and now you get book 3 out and continue it", I'm going to take a short break from the series to absorb what I read. It's very dense, and I've never read a sci-fi that's spent so much time on exploring the concept of paedogenesis and how it might work in alien species.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Turning Point by Lisanne Norman. Pure pulp sci-fi adventure, mediocre at best. A nice palate-cleanser before I move onto better books. That said, it was nice to watch the author go from super-clunky "this is the first thing I've ever written" to actually competent by the mid-point of the book. I wouldn't object to reading one of the sequels in the future.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin

Whelp, I guess I’m an anarchist now.

Like all LeGuin’s work, it was a profound experience. I have to space out reading her books because they are so intense. Prior to this I read The Left Hand of Darkness which I still consider my favorite so far. The Dispossessed was not as emotionally intense as Left Hand of Darkness but it was certainly as effective in causing me to reevaluate my lifestyle. LeGuin’s books are also slowly but surely converting me to veganism. It’s strange how even though I have been exposed to many of the themes and morals expressed in her work already, LeGuin has a way of driving her point straight into my guts.

Plasmawiz
Nov 4, 2018

lain Iwakura formatted herself for your sins

:blessed:
:ranbowdash::nyan:
The Screwtape Letters by C.S Lewis. Chronicling the letters sent by a senior, upper management demon to a lower level grunt, with advice on how to propperly deal with his assigned human. Written in a very typical Lewis style, with lots of philosophical musing and pearls of wisdom thrown into a funny and entertaining story. Overall I found it to be a nice relaxing short read.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
Just wrapped up Thin Air by Richard K Morgan, previously known for Altered Carbon. I gotta say, while I really enjoyed Carbon and it's sequels, this felt like a discount retread of them. Less interesting setting, characters, premise, ideas, etc. It didn't help that the story's rhythm was a very direct Detective Novel Paint-By-Numbers setup.

While I really think Morgan can put together some excellent descriptions and drives home a gritty cyberpunk noir like few other people can, I have to admit I found myself skimming through some pages as I approached the climax because I'd formed absolutely no connection with any of the characters. I'd only recommend this to really, really diehard fans.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A rec thread suggestion, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Incredibly written, a chilling story, and a vibrant portrait of the era and place.

My only complaint with the book is how much time it spent in the murderers' povs, which is more my preference - I didn't enjoy learning about them as people. Their motive and methods were just... Monsters both.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finished The Long Goodbye on Friday and finished Playback today. Good stuff. I have the Trouble Is My Business collection but I've been pretty much exclusively on Chandler for the past wee while (with the exception of the latest Kim Newman book) so I think I will put something else in before I get to it.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I just finished posting the 2018 secret santa thread. Come and check it out and sign up to get books from people who know nothing about you!

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

cult member at airport posted:

I'm looking for (preferably modern) books that match the following aesthetic

Thank you.

I posted this in the recommendation thread a while back and someone suggested Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman. After a long break from genre fic I gave it a go and finished it in two days.

The world was such a perfect mix of wonder and dread. The characters are well fleshed out, although there is an over-reliance on flashbacks in my opinion. What I really liked was how the story made a worldwide apocalyptic struggle a small-scale tale of overcoming personal demons.

And it bears repeating, Buehlman masterful at writing scenes that truly feel horrific without coming off as "trying too hard". Has anyone read his other books, and are they as good as this one? Also, if anyone has other suggestions for my request in the quoted post, I'm happy to hear them.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

cult member at airport posted:

Also, if anyone has other suggestions for my request in the quoted post, I'm happy to hear them.

Blake Butler (particularly Scorch Atlas), maybe Alan DeNiro's Total Oblivion, More or Less

SecureUmbra
Apr 6, 2016
Just finished Narco-nomics How to run a drug cartel by Tom Wainwright.

Great read, he’s a writer for the Economist.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

BurningBeard posted:

Bloodless is a great way to put it. The elements are all there. The delivery is competent. But it always feels very paint by numbers. Workmanlike, if not extraordinary. I remember reading American Gods as a kid, followed almost immediately by Neverwhere but I'll be damned if I can remember very much about them now. I did revisit Gods when it got the new release, and my memory was such that I almost felt Like I was Reading it for the first time. It dragged a lot the second time through. I know material was added but I'd attribute my impatience more to a gap of years and changes in taste more than anything reflective of the book itself though.

Just ripped through I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid and that was anything but bloodless. The premise is that the main character is about to meet their new boyfriend's parents, and they're considering the sever.

It's hard to talk about without spoiling, but it's genuinely one of the most terrifying things I've read in a very long time. You'll want to go hug a loved one when it's over. I did. All I can really say is it shifts tone a few times throughout, and it commits to a metaphor and philosophical angle with a laser focus that in the hands of a worse author would play far too on the nose, but here it's a stunning use of pure craft. I don't want to needlessly salivate over it, but it really was that good.

Just picked up the Reed book based on this recommendation. Thank you!

I recently finished The Iron Druid book one, because gently caress it, I had a 14-hour plane journey and a buddy recommended it. Worst book I’ve read in years. The protagonist is a flawless magical- and martial-arts master who has the most powerful sword in the world and is totally the best swordsman on the planet and also the most powerful magic user and also the best unarmed fighter and also the smartest and sexiest person and also can have sex with like all of the perfect-11 goddesses that all totally want to have sex with him because he gives them like a hundred orgasms with his perfect form and every single woman in the book is a flawless gorgeous beauty and they all want him oh and also he looks 21 forever

Holy loving poo poo that book sucked.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thursday Next posted:

I recently finished The Iron Druid book one, because gently caress it, I had a 14-hour plane journey and a buddy recommended it. Worst book I’ve read in years. The protagonist is a flawless magical- and martial-arts master who has the most powerful sword in the world and is totally the best swordsman on the planet and also the most powerful magic user and also the best unarmed fighter and also the smartest and sexiest person and also can have sex with like all of the perfect-11 goddesses that all totally want to have sex with him because he gives them like a hundred orgasms with his perfect form and every single woman in the book is a flawless gorgeous beauty and they all want him oh and also he looks 21 forever

You sound like you need to read the Kingkiller Chronicles by Pat Rothfuss :v:

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Thursday Next posted:

Based on this description I Google image searched the author.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kev...iw=1200&bih=733

He looks exactly, %100 like I imagined.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Ew, fantasy authors.jpg is so gross in context.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Chimera's Cradle by Brian Stableford, the third and final of his Genesys trilogy.

... I have a lot to think about before I can properly say anything about this trilogy, but suffice it to say that it is as vibrant and strange as any of his works. I've never read a series more creative or interesting, with its setting or characters. So many different biomes, a strange interpretation of lore...

The tl;dr of this trilogy is, a group of adventurers go on a journey to the Navel of the World to uncover its secrets, and boy, do they uncover its secrets. There's plenty of action, development, and strange alien things.

Things I loved most:

- The horror sequence where the main character is turned into a living tree.
- The transparent turtles
- The entire finale of the first book, as everyone went into the Dragomite hills
- The development of the Princess into a bold adventurer who accepts herself and what she wants
- The biological AI thing
- The Serpents and how they developed as badass characters
- The Manticore character.

...and more. There's a lot. And the central concept of human resilience and optimism is worth a lot to me.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

spandexcajun posted:

Based on this description I Google image searched the author.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kev...iw=1200&bih=733

He looks exactly, %100 like I imagined.

Has anyone seen Kevin Hearn and Boogie2988 in the same place at the same time? :tinfoil:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished the Red Atlas: How the Soviet Union secretly mapped the world. It's built around lots of ultra-detailed USSR maps of the world, very interesting book.

Iron Druid chat: The pronunciation guide in it should have been a warning sign to people. Science fiction + Fantasy books with pronunciation guides tend to suck and usually devolve into author power-tripping fantasies fast.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Iron Druid chat: The pronunciation guide in it should have been a warning sign to people. Science fiction + Fantasy books with pronunciation guides tend to suck and usually devolve into author power-tripping fantasies fast.

Iron Druid isn't great, but I mean, those are all actual real names from non-Anglo cultures that people might have trouble with. It's not the same.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

Iron Druid isn't great, but I mean, those are all actual real names from non-Anglo cultures that people might have trouble with. It's not the same.

Atticus O’Sullivan

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thanks to having today off, was able to finish reading Walls by David Frye, and Bad Blood by John Carreyrou.
Walls was about defensive wall formations that have been built throughout human history in most areas of the world, and the roles defensive walls played in civilization.

Bad Blood was just a endless series of lies + hype by Theranos the blood testing "company".

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner. Mad Men meets Maddaddam. Or perhaps Rachel Carson collaborated with Walter Miller, Jr. A story set in the early 70s while the US is facing total environmental collapse due to pollution, pesticides, pharma ran amok, and military wastes disposed into the sea. The world built is on point, and a lot of it rings true today. However, I found the execution a little wanting. Not the dialogue--really set in a 50s-70s jargon--or the sexism that runs rife (again, presumably a product of the time in which the author worked), but the narration. I found little to distinguish the voices of the (many) characters, and the names are all blandly the same too, so as the narrative focus switched from character to character, it took me a long time to reconnect with them, and how they fit within the story (is this the couple with the kid, or the couple with the kids, or the couple that want kids?). It made the book distracting and difficult to fully engage with. An editor might have requested cutting some of these parallel stories but...well, there is kind of a point to it, but still, that could have been delivered just as effectively with a little less jumping around.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

John Brunner had a thing for writing dystopian multiple narrative voice stories. Stand on Zanzibar won him a Hugo Award, but it's so awkwardly disjointed + dated that I've never gotten farther than 30 pages in it. Almost seemed designed to win awards or maybe the scifi award committees in the mid 1960s - late 1970s Hugo were desperate for books that explored the possible futures of counter-culture.

Read Physics for Future Presidents last night. Covered a bunch of subjects (energy, nukes, terrorism, space exploration, climate change) by Richard A Muller. While the author definitely had rock-hard opinions on stuff in the book(why the TSA makes you remove shoes, how terrorists are amazing efficiency experts, etc), overall the information in the book was good for people who have been out of college for awhile + mostly forgotten joules/calories.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I finally finished the lord of the rings after multiple attempts over the years. The only thing that got me through it all was listening to the "There and Back Again" podcast after each chapter, breaking down the subtle things that I never would have understood on my own.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Took me a good month to get through Lethal White by Rowling. By the end I barely remembered half the threads and mysteries that the book spent almost 700 pages to set up. But I do like the characters for the most parts so I'll most likely keep on reading the series. I just hope they won't be as long as this one.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
I read The Wayward Bus by Steinbeck. It was on some kind of book choice survey, and my library had a copy. Character driven, dated a bit, not as fully rounded compared to contemporary fiction. It could be slanted to fit any number of modern arguments on race, feminism even youth/senility/virility of man. Not as much bus action as I was hoping for. The last major scene and protagonist felt rushed. If I was in high school this would be a decent read for a book report. Very middling feeling overall.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The Caped Crusade: Batman and the Rise of Nerd Culture - Glen Weldon

A really interesting look into how Batman changes and doesn't change based on the whims of the times his comics and movies are being made in, as well as how from even the very beginning, there were terrible nerds to police both the general reactions to all things Batman and how the character is represented.

It's a solid read if you're looking for something quick and diverting - the writer doesn't take things too seriously, thankfully - but he could have definitely gone harder on certain sections of the internet that post death threats etc. if you don't love the fake billionaire costume man's latest movie or whatever.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

France and England in North American Volume 1
(4 collected books of a series of 8)
Francis Parkman

Really interesting progression from the 16th century onwards about an expansive part of American history so unfairly fast-forwarded in your basic grade school course. Digestible prose for a 19th century work, I would recommend this to anyone. Sometimes distractingly romantic, but the cruelest parts of the inroads made by the world powers are presented plainly. Stay for the blood, guts, and greed. The accounts of the earliest interactions among Europeans and the various tribes of the eastern coasts are fascinating.

The Lottery
Shirley Jackson

Not just the famous short, but the anthology it was collected in and published in ‘49. It’s a swift read, and the stories inside are mostly sardonic vignettes of horrors vague and inane.

A Macy’s employee wanders through her first days in a blundering, oblivious confusion under the equally oblivious and confused managerial system of the department store.
An outsider is introduced to countrified cures for a wayward dog and the smiling face of casual brutalities.
A young boy is regaled with stories of child mutilation by a kindly old man.

It was extremely up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
I'd picked up a few things about Discworld from the tabletop games subforum, such as the entire opening monologue about the world being a flat disc balanced on the backs of four elephants, all sitting precariously upon a massive sea turtle. It had always intrigued me, but school and work has kept me too busy to read until recently. Every one of the four short stories is about Rincewind, the incompetent and cowardly wizard. It's such fun to read through these stories as Fate, and forces more powerful than that, seem to conspire to make his life as miserably adventurous as possible.

Although I like Rincewind, I think the tourist he's escorting (Twoflower the "in-sewer-ants" agent) was the more interesting of the two. While Rincewind is often the one to save the day, Twoflower is usually the one to push the story forward with his curiosity and love for all things dangerous. His adoration of the world around him is infectious, as I've also learned to love the fantastic and silly world that he lives in.