Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

My October ended up not going nearly as I had planned and I'm rather disappointed. But, I did hit my goal.

28. Lake Mungo Watched on DVD. Fran Challenge: The World Is A Scary Place

29. Winterbeast Watched on Scream Stream

30. Puppet Master Watched on Scream Stream

31. Night Of The Demons 2 Watched on Scream Stream

I went a few over but I'm not too worried since they weren't part of my initial bid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Basebf555, I hope you don't wait for May to watch The Lure.

I'm so happy that so many people watched and loved The Lure!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #1: Love Something You Hate :siren:

:ghost: Pick a film from a horror sub-genre* that you don't like, and watch it.

31. V/H/S 2 (2013)

In before it's too late! And what movie could be better for this challenge than essentially a found footage anthology? Some PIs break into a house while looking for a missing person and watch his tapes to learn what happened while watching a lot of messed up stuff.

Giant boobs on screen within the first minute so it gets points early on for this at least. The framing device with the detectives is a pretty good idea though I didn't think it added that much in the end. Each of the tapes they watch preset a different story with its own excuse for the footage - a bionic eye recorded for diagnostics, a gopro on a bicyclist's helmet, etc. As is often the case though some of the segments are way better than others, and you just end up wishing they focused on the good parts. The bionic eye one had potential but turned out to be kind of a dud ghost thing, zombie POV one was a bit more fun, though the third tape was probably the best of them.

This still didn't convince me that giving up all that control over cinematography, lighting and other aspects of filmmaking is worth it for the few gimmicks, but I think they made the most of the concept they could and it's all right as a result.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Basebf555, I hope you don't wait for May to watch The Lure.

I'm so happy that so many people watched and loved The Lure!

Really the only reason I didn't watch it is because I got so close to Halloween and still had a few challenges left to do, I went with Tales of Halloween because it was at least Halloween themed.

Definitely watching The Lure in the next week or so.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Really the only reason I didn't watch it is because I got so close to Halloween and still had a few challenges left to do, I went with Tales of Halloween because it was at least Halloween themed.

Definitely watching The Lure in the next week or so.

Yeah, that's what I assumed. I just remember you mentioning musicals being low on your priorities (which is the same for me) and wouldn't want you to sleep on it another 6 months.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Maxwell Lord posted:

Most Pleasant Surprise: The Sadist. Seriously check this out, it's actually really tense and I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before. Runner-up goes to Phenomena / Creepers, which I had heard some things about but not enough to prepare me for the reality.

Is this the 2015 Sadist and one that came out in 1963?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

66. Frankenstein (1931)

It's quite amazing how well this film holds up after countless references, parodies and spoilers. This was my first time watching Frankenstein but the most popular scenes had seeped into my consciousness somehow. Despite that it was still a powerful film. Frankenstein's Monster manages to be both creepy and probably the most sypathetic "monster" I have ever witnessed. The films overall aesthetic and atmosphere is also top notch and sets the mood for the events of the film extremely well.

I've been really happy with the couple Universal horror films I have checked out and I can't wait to watch more of them in the future.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

67. Blade II (2002)

Both the Blade movies meant quite a bit to me when I was younger. My love was so strong that I convinced my parents to let me name the family dog "Blade," which I thought was a super cool name for a doberman. The first film is great, but I think that I ended up watching this one quite a bit more. I really enjoy the Bloodpack and all its stupid characters. As a kid I had all their names and specialties memorized, and really wished some of them had more screen time. It was cool to me that there was a new threat, the reapers, that meant Blade and the vampires had to come together. Plus the design of the reapers is pretty cool, like a disgusting Nosferatu with a facehugger for a jaw.

Blade II isn't revolutionary or anything but it's such a great combination creatures, gore, combat and snarky lines that I still love it. There was a small discussion about whether it would work as Del Toro's worst, but I've definitely heard that from people and I wanted to watch it.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #4: Worst of the Best :siren:

68. Project Metalbeast (1995)

I guess I forgot to post this sick Metalbeast writeup, bummer.

A cool premise that should have made for a wonderfully stupid fun movie is ruined by absolutely terrible pacing. It was just so boring that even the somewhat fun moments had little effect on my mood because I was so annoyed at all the garbage I had to sit through to get to those moments. Definitely not a fan of this one, not recommended.

I think that's all of Fran's Challenges. :)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

drat this thread has been on FIRE the last 24 hours.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CRAYON posted:

I've been really happy with the couple Universal horror films I have checked out and I can't wait to watch more of them in the future.

I highly recommend the Frankenstein Legacy Collection blu-ray set, it's around $20 and contains 8 films, all of which are good to great in my opinion.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Franchescanado posted:

We're gonna do this last one a little early, since this weekend might be everyone's Halloween celebration.

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #13: What We've All Been Waiting For

:ghost: Watch a movie that takes place on Halloween.

32. Murder Party (2007)
Watched On: Netflix

This was the perfect movie to take the bad taste of V/H/S out of my mouth and a fitting end to this October experiment. I loved Green Room and very much wanted to see what Saulnier's first movie was like. Unlike the comparatively realistic shittiness of most of V/H/S's characters, the would-be murderers in Murder Party are all pretty cartoonish and fun in their terribleness. But there's also a deep vein of hatred for the pretentiousness of the art world that grounds it. I went to college with people like Lexi, Paul and Alexander and it was immensely satisfying to see the walls of self-built mythology come crumbling down over the course of the night. Special recognition has to go to Macon Blair, for giving the most emotional performance in a film full of insanity. I definitely want to check out Blue Ruin now.
------------
Holy poo poo, I kind of can't believe I pulled this off. I tried my best with the Fran Challenges, but since I'm a relative horror novice, there were a couple I couldn't swing without spending money. I'll try and meet those as soon as they're announced next time so I don't feel like I'm rushing.

So here's my list:
1. Hellraiser (1987)
2. Hellraiser 2 (1988)
3. He Never Died (2015)
4. The Void (2016)
5. Friday the 13th (2009)
6. My Bloody Valentine (2009)
7. Scream 2 (1997)
8. Scream 4 (2011)
9. Nightmares in Red, White and Blue (2007)
10. Resolution (2012)
11. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (2004)
12. The Last Shift (2014)
13. The Seventh Curse (1986)
14. Magic Cop (1990)
15. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1973)
16. Halloween (1978)
17. Ghost Stories (2017)
18. Trick r' Treat (2007)
19. Sinister (2012) FRAN CHALLENGE #3: Hometown Horror
20. Upgrade (2018)
21. Rigor Mortis (2013) FRAN CHALLENGE #8: Once In A Lifetime
22. Night of the Demons (1988)
23. Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors (1987) FRAN CHALLENGE #5: Birth of Horror
24. Opera (1987) FRAN CHALLENGE #7: The World Is A Scary Place
25. The Beyond (1981) FRAN CHALLENGE #6: Video Nasties
26. The Prowler (1981) FRAN CHALLENGE #9: Stranger Danger
27. Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
28. Evil Dead (2013)
29. Nightbreed (1990) FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror
30. Tales of Halloween (2015) FRAN CHALLENGE #12: (Self-Described) Masters of Horror
31. V/H/S (2012)
32. Murder Party (2007) FRAN CHALLENGE #13: What We've All Been Waiting For

Challenges Met: 9/13

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

gey muckle mowser posted:

I highly recommend the Frankenstein Legacy Collection blu-ray set, it's around $20 and contains 8 films, all of which are good to great in my opinion.

I actually just picked up the Universal 30-film Collection when it went on sale for $70, but it was too late to incorporate many into the challenge. If I would have gotten it earlier in the month my challenge would have probably looked a lot different.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CRAYON posted:

I actually just picked up the Universal 30-film Collection when it went on sale for $70, but it was too late to incorporate many into the challenge. If I would have gotten it earlier in the month my challenge would have probably looked a lot different.

Link to this, please?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Franchescanado posted:

Link to this, please?

Sorry, by just I meant like last week. :(

It's back up to full price.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have the basic Universal Monsters set that has just what we'd normally consider the initial run of monster movies(Wolfman, Frankenstein, Bride, Invisible Man, etc.), so instead of going for the big comprehensive set I've been pretty happy with the Dracula Legacy Collection Blu Ray.

I think the advantage of going for the Dracula set over the Frankenstein set(assuming you already own Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein) is that you get Dracula's Daughter. Plus, you still have House of Frankenstein and Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein in that set, so really I think it's overall the better set if you put aside the greatness of the two original Frankenstein films.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So that's a wrap for me. I watched 36 movies and completed all 13 Fran Challenges. Here's the list of what I watched (with ratings):

1. The Blob (4.5)
2. Mandy (5)
3. The Hands of Orloc (4)
4. Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (4.5)
5. Fright Night (3)
6. Black Magic Part II (4)
7. Body Melt (3.5)
8. Suspiria (5)
9. The Old Dark House (4.5)
10. The Nude Vampire (3.5)
11. The Thing From Another World (3)
12. Phantasm (4) (Fran Challenge 1)
13. Basket Case 2 (3) (Fran Challenge 2)
14. Murders in the Rue Morgue (2)
15. The Tenant (5)
16. The Howling (3)
17. Calvaire (3.5)
18. Hereditary (5)
19. Nothing Left to Fear (1) (Fran Challenge 3)
20. The Black Cat (4)
21. The Killing of a Sacred Deer (4.5)
22. The Hills Have Eyes Part II (0.5) (Fran Challenge 4)
23. Cannibal Holocaust (3) (Fran Challenge 6)
24. Apostle (2)
25. Christine (3.5) (Fran Challenge 5)
26. Winterbeast (4) (Fran Challenge 8)
27. Terrified (3) (Fran Challenge 7)
28. Halloween 2018 (4)
29. Revenge (1.5) (Fran Challenge 10)
30. The Witch in the Window (3.5)
31. The Bloodstained Shadow (3)
32. Zombie (4.5) (Fran Challenge 11)
33. The Gate (3.5) (Fran Challenge 9)
34. Zombie Holocaust (3) (Fran Challenge 12)
35. Night of the Demons (4) (Fran Challenge 13)
36. The Mountain of the Cannibal God (2)

And some stats:
Countries: USA (20) | Italy (7) | France (3) | Argentina (1) | Hong Kong (1) | Germany (1) | Belgium (1) | Australia (1) | Canada (1)
Decades: 1920s (1) | 1930s (3) | 1950s (1) | 1970s (9) | 1980s (9) | 1990s (3) | 2000s (1) | 2010s (9)
Ratings: 0.5 (1) | 1 (1) | 1.5 (1) | 2 (3) | 2.5 (0) | 3 (8) | 3.5 (6) | 4 (7) | 4.5 (5) | 5 (4)

So 30 out of the 36 are films that I would recommend. Only six stinkers in the whole lot. Not bad at all.

SMP
May 5, 2009

My wrapup post for the year...

My Full Reviews

1. Mandy - 4.5/5
2. Thelma - 4/5
3. The Midnight Swim - 3.5/5
4. Halloween (1978) - 3/5 (Fran Challenge #1)
5. Halloween II (1981) - 3.5/5
6. The First Purge - 4.5/5
7. Hell House LLC II: The Abbadon Hotel - 1.5/5
8. House of 1000 Corpses - 4.5/5
9. mother! - 3.5/5
10. The Devil's Rejects - 4.5/5
11. The Hills Have Eyes (1977) - 1/5
12. 31 - 1.5/5
13. Hold the Dark - 4/5
14. Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum - 4/5
15. Beetlejuice - 4.5/5 (Fran Challenge #3)
16. Re-Animator - 3.5/5
17. The Lost Boys - 3.5/5 (Fran Challenge #4)
18. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge - 3.5/5 (Fran Challenge #2)
19. Downrange - 3.5/5
20. Friday the 13th Part III - 1.5/5
21. Dark Waters - 4/5 (Fran Challenge #5)
22. Scream 2 - 3/5
23. Return of the Living Dead - 5/5
24. The Beyond - 2.5/5 (Fran Challenge #6)
25. The Noonday Witch - 3/5
26. Unfriended: Dark Web - 3.5/5
27. Insidious: The Last Key - 2/5
28. Night of the Demon (1957) - 3.5/5
29. Evil Dead II - 4.5/5
30. Blind Sun - 3.5/5
31. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors - 4/5
32. Army of Darkness - 5/5
33. Pyewacket - 3/5
34. The Addiction - 4.5/5
35. Apostle - 3.5/5
36. Halloween (2007) - 4/5
37. Halloween II (2009) - 5/5
38. Audition - 2/5 (Fran Challenge #7)
39. ParaNorman - 3/5 (Fran Challenge #9)
40. Carnival of Souls (1962) - 3.5/5 (Fran Challenge #8)
41. The Haunting of Hill House - 1.5/5
42. Excision - 3/5
43. Halloween (2018) - 4/5 (Fran Challenge #10)
44. Happy Death Day - 3.5/5
45. The Blob (1988) - 3/5
46. Cure - 4.5/5
47. Night of the Demons 2 - 4/5
48. Winterbeast - 4/5
49. Phenomena - 4.5/5 (Fran Challenge #12)
50. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - 5/5 (Fran Challenge #11)
51. Scarab - 2/5
52. Street Trash - 3.5/5
53. Candyman - 5/5
54. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers - 3/5 (Fran Challenge #13)
55. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers - 1.5/5
56. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer's Cut) - 1/5
57. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later - .5/5
58. Halloween: Resurrection - 2/5
59. Night of the Living Dead - 4/5
60. Dawn of the Dead (Theatrical Cut) - 4.5/5
61. Day of the Dead - 5/5
62. Zombi 2 - 4/5

what is wrong with me.

Special Awards
"Favorite Movie" - Halloween II (2009). The first slasher I've seen with deaths that actually saddened me. There's a beautiful empathy to this movie you wouldn't expect, given it's a Rob Zombie bloodbath.

"Best Movie" - Return of the Living Dead. Perfect in every way.

"The Median" - Pyewacket. Good and enjoyable, but sits perfectly in the middle of the pack. Probably not something I'd actively recommend or ever revisit.

"Worst Movie" - Trouble Every Day. I caught the hype for Denis' new movie and I'd never seen any of her work, so I was excited to check out this vampire film. It's one of the most boring things I have ever attempted to watch. There's nothing going on here.

"Why did I watch this?" - The Haunting of Hill House. I hated episode 1 and was guilted into watching more by a friend who loved it. Boy was I vindicated.

"Best Movie for Someone Other than Me" - The Beyond. I did enjoy it, just not as much as I'd hoped to. Others seem to adore it, but there's some disconnect for me I can't quite place.

"Biggest Surprise" - Phenomena, holy poo poo. That ending is unbelievable in a movie that's already crazy as poo poo.

"Cheesiest Fun" - WINTERBEAST. Anyone who missed this on Scream Stream is a fool.

"Best Sequel" - Evil Dead 2. Technically it should be Halloween II (2009) but I already gave that an award. To my shame I had never seen Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness before, but that's fixed now.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Fit in a couple more last night, surprising myself, so I guess I've got a couple of last reviews to make.

#50. Trick 'r Treat (2007) (Vudu) - :ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

An anthology film about a bunch of spooky goings-on on Halloween night - the principal is a serial killer and also dresses like a vampire for some reason, the girl in the "Little Red Riding Hood" outfit is a werewolf, some kids tell a spooky story about drowned kids and then get attacked by their ghosts, and an old man gets attacked by a little pumpkin monster who just wants candy.

A pretty decent anthology film, even if those aren't my bag, personally. Some of the stories hit harder than others do - it still doesn't make sense that the serial killer principal is also moonlighting as a fake vampire, since that seems to be too many different character beats for the one guy. (though I do understand the desire to use Dylan Baker when you get him) - and I don't like the decision to cut the "kids collect jack o' lanterns for the kids drowned in a school bus story in half to wrap around the end of the "Anna Paquin is secretly a virgin werewolf" story beat. That's pretty much the nature of anthology films, though, I guess, since once bad segment or bad editing decision can bring things crashing down. I'm also only indifferent to Sam as a character, since he's too much of a weird cross between Chucky and that one weird "Newborn" alien from Alien Resurrection for my taste. Still, the opening and ending segments are pretty fun, and the whole thing looks fantastic. I just wish the middle segments didn't feel so weak.

#51. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (Starz) - :ghost::ghost:/5

Larry Talbot, the Wolf Man, gets accidentally resurrected several years after his death at the end of his last film, still cursed to change into a werewolf and kill people when the moon is full. Looking to die to rid himself of his curse, he seeks out the help of Dr. Frankenstein, only to find his Monster instead. It all leads up to a disappointing Wolf Man/Frankenstein's Monster throwdown.

So, I'd watched a "Wolf Man" movie and a "Vs." movie, so it made sense to watch a "Wolf Man vs." movie as well, so it's a shame this movie barely meets that criteria. The promised battle doesn't happen until the final two minutes of the movie, and barely qualifies for anything, either, before the whole thing just gets literally swept aside for the end credits. Lon Chaney Jr. is still fine as Larry Talbot, even if they pitch him as only able to play variations on "glum and disheartened" and "fevered hysteria" the whole movie. Bela Lugosi is wasted as the Monster, and they unfortunately cut out the section that talks about how the Monster is blind now following the brain implant from Ghost of Frankenstein, so that whole important character beat gets lost. That reduces Lugosi's blind fumbling here to reading as the stereotypical ridiculous "Frankenstein Walk," his one unfortunate contribution to the Frankenstein iconography.

It's less a true "meeting of the monsters" movie, so much as it is a Wolf Man movie "with special guest appearance by Frankenstein!" Which could be okay, if Frankie didn't get top billing on a movie he's barely in. As it is, this movie isn't really worth seeking out for fans of either character. Not recommended.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pulled an all-nighter and got myself to 31.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #12: (Self-Described) Masters of Horror

:ghost: Watch an episode of Masters of Horror

#27 / 31 - Masters of Horror: Homecoming (2005)

Well this was... an odd viewing experience and not a very pleasant one! I was expecting political satire that hadn't exactly aged well. That was... not what I got. What I got was exaggerated satire of 2004 that is essentially the most brutally honest possible depiction of the past couple years. It's less about the zombies, and more about complete cynical fucksticks ripping the country apart for money, with the zombies existing solely to give the viewer some kind of catharsis.

It's not ineffective, but I didn't enjoy watching it and it wasn't really appropriate Halloween viewing; it felt more like something to watch to make myself angry than something to watch to thrill myself. I mean, it tries to make the viewer horny for an Ann Coulter stand-in, that's a crime against humanity in and of itself.

Also, watching this after The Ring was a fun experience because it just proves my point about how poo poo most 2000s movies look. DV was just not good.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #5: Birth of Horror :siren:

:ghost: Watch a movie set in the year you were born.

#28 / 31 - The Blair Witch Project (1999)

So this was a surprise: I totally loving forgot this was set in 1994. It's still as effective as ever, despite being a movie in which very little actually happens. It's almost the anti-Paranormal Activity; whereas PA spends most of its runtime making me loving hate Katie and Micah, to the point where the theatrical ending just makes me laugh my rear end off, Blair Witch Project actually makes its characters likable and relatable. You feel their fear when they start to realize how bad their situation is, rather than them just coming off like idiot ghost-hunter Youtubers.

This movie is everything good that found-footage can be, condensed into an incredibly tight package.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #6: Video Nasties

:ghost: Watch a Video Nasty*

#29 / 31 - The Evil Dead (1981)

Yeah, yeah, I'm uncreative. I know. The list of Video Nasties that are fun, light viewing, however, is pretty goddamned short, and not only is this a fun watch, it's one of those movies that's almost like comfort food to me because I've seen it so many times. (I could have, in theory, used Blood Feast, but I did that one for Dead and Buried. Womp womp.)

The biggest thing that always gets me about this movie is how utterly unlike the rest of the series it is. Ash is almost a completely different character; rather than the buffoonish badass he is in 2 and Army of Darkness, he's just a regular-rear end dude in this who only survives by pretty much pure chance. Young Bruce Campbell also looks pretty hilarious- that chin would take some time yet to grow in. There's almost no comedic bent to the gore; the character interactions are a little funny, but the violence in the movie is absolutely brutal, with the pencil in the ankle coming as a particular highlight that most people don't mention. It's not really a shock that this is still NC-17 in the US today, and that's... actually something I can't say for a large chunk of the VN list.

To be fair, they don't mention this because this is a movie in which a woman gets raped by foliage. In fact, that's actually one of the first scary bits to happen. I don't really like it, but it's... not as awful as it could be, I guess? Being a horror fan has exposed me to a loving lot of movies that just kind of play sexual violence casually, and it's one of my most absolutely hated tropes in the genre ordinarily, but I feel like Evil Dead makes it relatively tolerable by making the situation as absurd and as far removed from anyone's actual experiences as possible. I'm pretty sure nobody in reality has ever been consensually hosed by a tree, let alone raped by one. Jesus Christ please let this be the most words I ever write about the forest committing sexual violence against people, I need sleep.

#30 / 31 - Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn

I mean you've gotta watch ED2 after the first one. This is a movie that I'm pretty sure I can't speak objectively about, because it might be one of my favorite movies of all time and has been for easily... holy poo poo, it's been 11 years since I first saw this as a middle schooler. :stare:

This is seriously a perfect movie, though. The pacing is absolutely perfect, the effects still hold up amazingly well, the Bruce Campbell factor is finally at maximum. I really don't know what insights I can possibly add here, except that I think the "it's a remake" thing is at least partially bullshit. Ghostbusters 2 isn't a remake of Ghostbusters, so I don't think I can in good conscience say that this is a remake of the original ED... though that's sort of an unfair comparison, since only the plot beats are really retreaded (there's even a scene early on where a woman gets bisected by a sentient tree!) and the style and tone are almost entirely different.

Actually, you know what? I do have something to say. Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 are remarkably relevant to the whole discussion on Marvel and DC's tonal issues, bizarrely enough. They are a shining, perfect example of how the same material can look and feel two completely different ways depending on how it's played by a movie; Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 are both very very very violent movies, but Evil Dead 2's tone is light and comedic, whereas the original Evil Dead positions itself as "the ultimate experience in grueling terror" and has only become not so for many of us due to familiarity. Similarly, Marvel plays its mechanical ultra-violence with a light, cheery tone, making it much more palatable to audiences than it probably "should" be; DC, meanwhile, goes for slightly less horrific material in and of itself, but plays that material with as much gravitas as it can possibly muster, making it feel like it's more dark and serious, despite putting less horrifying imagery by far in front of the viewer.

That was probably dumb but gently caress you I've been up for literally over a loving day, worked an 8-hour shift, and then marathonned a loving rear end-ton of horror. I'll probably look back on this review and think I wrote a bunch of stupid toilet words that go in the trash, but I'll also be happy I did it, because gently caress you October Challenge I have finally mastered you, you are my Movie Everest and I am at the god drat summit

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #13: What We've All Been Waiting For

:ghost: Watch a movie that takes place on Halloween.

#31 / 31 - Halloween (1978)

I had to end the horror challenge with this, the first time I've ever managed to complete one of these. I don't know how I did it, but I got to loving 31 and I knocked out all the Fran challenges, in a month where I've also gotten totally hosed by schoolwork and done a couple other hobby projects on top of that.

It's Halloween. You've seen this. If you haven't, what the blue blazing gently caress are you doing go watch Halloween right now. This movie has seriously been absolutely picked apart and analyzed to death and I'm really not sure how much more blood I can get from that rock, so I'm just gonna reiterate that this movie loving owns until I feel like I've gotten the point across. It's the ur-slasher, despite Peeping Tom and TCM and Black Christmas predating it, for a reason; it pared the then-forming slasher formula down to the absolute barest possible basics, and by doing so, set those basics into stone for the rest of film history. This doesn't have the craziest kills of any slasher out there, or the funniest bit characters, and Michael is honestly a pretty unassuming killer compared to late-period Jason or Freddy or the Slumber Party Massacre drill-guitar guy, but that's not what you're here for. You're here to essentially see the Slasher Movie Recipe, cooked and presented as well as Carpenter can possibly give it to you. And that is exactly what Halloween gives you. Halloween rules, Halloween sequels drool.

HOLY poo poo I'M DONE.

To quote the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, I SLEEP NOW.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Final Count:

1 Winchester
2 Blackcoat's Daughter
3 Ernest Scared Stupid
4 Angst
5 Sleepaway Camp
6 Dog Soldiers
7 Castle Rock
8 Timecrimes
9 Elvira, Mistress of the Dark
10 The Predator
11 Predator 2
12 Predators
13 Dogtooth
14 The Faculty
15 The Mummy Returns
16 Monster Squad
17 Little Shop of Horrors
18 Halloween 1978 FC 1
19 Event Horizon FC 4
20 Lake Placid FC 3
21 Ghostbusters FC 5
22 XX FC 2
23 Scooby Doo and KISS
24 Venom
25 Paranorman
26 Annihilation
27 Island of Death FC 6
28 Curse of the We're rabbit FC 8
29 Night of the Living Dead
30 Errementari FC 7
31 Apostle FC 10
32 Mom and Dad
33 Halloween 2018
34 Witch in the Window FC 9
35 Halloween 2007
36 Wicker Man FC 12
37 The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
38 Edward Scissorhands
39 The Manitou FC 11
40 Halloween III: Season of the Witch FC 13

Challenges: :spooky: 13/13 :spooky:

Best Movie Hereditary was the best horror movie of 2018 hands down, but I saw that in theaters well before the challenge started, so for this I'll go with The Blackcoat's Daughter , which was just excellent.

Worst Movie Probably have to give Season of the Witch that one. I like the idea of doing an anthology series and I wonder if the issue wasn't so much a lack of Michael Myers as it was that this movie sucked.

Biggest Surprise I'd say Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. I'd assumed it was terrible for the last decade or so but it was actually a lot of fun and easily in part with the first 2.

Biggest Disappointment mainly that I went another year without having time to watch any of the stuff off my Universal Monsters boxed set, but for films that I watched definitely Monster Squad. That's been on my list for years and I didn't enjoy it at all.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 1, 2018

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
81. Invaders from Mars (1986) - I watched this for the May challenge too, but I liked it more the second time around. I still admire how Hooper transforms the narrative into a nonsensical dream, in contrast to the original which used the artificiality of the sets to lead in to that revelation. Here, the plot becomes stranger and stranger as multiple leaps in logic are made to the point where it becomes completely how they got from point A to point B.

But I didn't really get how much of a kids movie this was the first time around. It threw me off the first time as Hooper has never made a children's movie other than this. Even Poltergeist is told from the parent's perspective, not the children.

On the other hand, this is filled with jokes about how frank and direct 50s B-movies are, which I'm sure would fly over the head of most children who would have seen this back in the 80s. The intended audience could probably actually best be described as Tobe Hooper (and maybe Joe Dante too) but I'm fine with that.

82. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday - What a wild ride! I mentioned in the horror thread that I understand why this doesn't work for fans of the series (there's almost no Jason), but I had a blast. This is schlock in the best possible use of the term. The newly introduced mythology doesn't fit with what the previous films set up, but you can't exactly pretend that these movies fit together or form any strict continuity. I think if this didn't have the burden of being a Jason Vorhees film it would be much better regarded as a slice of 90s horror.

83. Freddy vs. Jason - Didn't quite make it to Jason X, but I thought I'd go ahead with this one because I haven't been watching the Friday series in order to begin with. It's pretty good! Not great, but it's much better than this movie has any right to be. The weakest elements are related to the teen characters. I can't quite explain it, but they aren't played (or written) earnestly enough to work seriously but they also aren't goofy enough to be campy. It's just stuck in an odd middle-of-the-road stylization. I kind of wish that Tommy and Nancy (even if she's dead) could've come back, but I suppose they didn't want to transform it into franchise cross-over instead of two characters fighting each other.

And the fights are pretty good too! The decision to employ a Hong Kong action director really paid off. And unlike Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, they get more than one fight scene together. Jason fights Freddy in his dreams, Freddy fights Jason in reality. Appreciate how much blood they were able to get away with in these parts too.

Rather bizarrely, this movie seems to comment on the exploitation of labor, as well as an argue for why past trauma should be remembered. People forget Freddy exists (which it's hard not to read as Nightmare on Elm St losing cultural cachet), so he tricks Jason into kill people in order to piggy-back off the fear (franchise) created by him. Jason isn't exactly happy with having the fruits of his labor stolen and Freddy isn't happy that Jason is still taking his kills (audience).

The only reason why Freddy comes back is the town of Springwood has forced themselves to forget he existed in the first, which damages nearly every character in the film in some way. Will is committed to a mental hospital as he saw a Freddy murder which everyone wants to cover up. Lori's mother was killed and she was forced to believe it was an accident rather than confront the truth. Only by coming to terms with the legitimate past trauma can they come to terms with the present.

84. Halloween (1978) - Man, after watching a bunch of trash slasher movies throughout the month (which I do love), this really stands out. I forgot how lonely this movie was and how totally great PJ Soles is. And after all the nonsense that gets peddled by Halloween 2-8, I'm surprised that it doesn't affect the power of the first film at all.

So that's it for me! :toot: I'm not any good at ranking movies, but a few of my favorite first time watches this year were:

Phantom of the Paradise
Serial Mom
Pulse
Psycho II

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 1, 2018

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Russian Guyovitch posted:

I am way behind on my posting, and a couple movies behind pace. I'm going to make these brief.

4. Murder Party (Amazon) - A solid debut from Jeremy Saulnier that gives a good blend of horror and humor, particularly if you lived in Brooklyn in the last half of the last decade.

5. Hold the Dark (Netflix) - The latest from Saulnier has atmosphere for days and some beautiful camera work, but it drags a bit in the second half. I enjoyed it overall but could see how it's not for everyone.

FRAN CHALLENGE #5: BIRTH OF HORROR

6. Tourist Trap (Shudder) - There's a lot of good horror options from 1979, but this isn't one of them. This is cobbled together from ideas from better movies, using the look of Leatherface for the killer, giving him the powers of Carrie, the psychosis of Norman Bates and using a setting reminiscent of House of Wax. Oddly enough, these disparate parts don't come together to form a greater whole.

7. Mayhem (Shudder) - This follows the exploits of a recently fired attorney trapped in his now ex-firm when the building is quarantined due to a virus that causes its victims to lose all inhibitions and become violent. It's not nearly as clever or insightful as the filmmakers seem to think it is.

8. The Town that Dreaded Sundown (Amazon) - A true crime film about the the Phantom Killer murders in the Texarkana region after World War II. The use of a narrator segueing between reenactments makes it feel somewhat like a feature-length episode of Unsolved Mysteries. If you've ever wanted to see Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island get shot in the face, then this is the movie for you.

9. Savageland (Amazon) - A true crime mockumentary that features talking head interviews about a man falsely accused of butchering his whole town. The true story of what happened is revealed through still images from a roll of film he shot during the incident. A novel enough premise that overplays its hand at the end.

10. The Endless (Netflix) - The story of two brothers who escaped from a UFO cult and decide to return to the compound where they grew up to find out what's become of the cult. From Justin Benson and Aaron Moorehead, this a sort of sequel to their first film, Resolution, and you can see the progress they've made as directors. A strong improvement over an already good start.

FRAN CHALLENGE #7: THE WORLD IS A SCARY PLACE

11. November (Amazon) - From Estonia, this is less a horror film than it is a dark fantasy based on Estonian folklore. Still, the devil shows up to buy and sell some souls, so I'd say it's close enough. Some pretty amazing imagery, but a bit on the slow side.

12. Area 51 (Hulu) - After an unexplainable incident at a party, a man becomes obsessed with ufos and Area 51. He recruits some friends to help him break in, along with the daughter of a former scientist at the facility. So much of this film focuses on preparing for the break in that it feels more like a found footage heist movie.

FRAN CHALLENGE #3: HOMETOWN HORROR

13. The City of the Dead, a.k.a Horror Hotel (Amazon) - A college student is sent to the small town of Whitewood, Massachusetts to research the history of witchcraft in the area. Her professor, played by Christopher Lee, recommends a local inn, and things go downhill for her from there. This is definitely a lesser film in the Lee filmography, and the Amazon transfer is pretty terrible as well.

14. Apostle (Netflix) - A new film from the director of The Raid and starring Dan Stevens. It's a folk horror in the vein of the Wicker Man for the first half before heading in a very different direction. A little bit too long, but I enjoyed it overall.

15. The Howling 2: Your Sister Is a Werewolf (Amazon) - Picking up right after the first, this follows the brother of the protagonist of the first film as he travels to Transylvania with Christopher Lee to avenge his sister's death. This is some amazing eighties cheese, and if that sounds like something you would like, I highly recommend this one.

16. The Ghoul (Amazon) - An Egyptologist dies and demands to be buried with an ancient gem, vowing to rise from the grave to kill anyone who takes it from him. Sure enough, his butler doesn't take kindly to being left without any kind of inheritance and snatches it from his coffin and a few days later he leaves his tomb to get his revenge. Boris Karloff stars as the titular ghoul, sporting some amazing fake eyebrows.

FRAN CHALLENGE #2: QUEER HORROR

17. The Old Dark House (Shudder) - A group of travelers find themselves trapped at a secluded manor home in rural Wales with its peculiar inhabitants. For a film from 1932, I was surprised by the extent to which this movie was packed with queer subtext. Also, this features the first horror role for Boris Karloff as mute hulking brute.

18. The Fall of the House of Usher (Amazon) - Vincent Price steals the show as Roderick Usher, one of the last two siblings in the Usher family line. As with pretty much anything with Price, this is worth giving a watch for his performance alone.

19. Excision (Shudder) - A troubled teenage girl who wants to be a surgeon has a disturbingly gruesome fantasy life. This starts out feeling like a quirky, offbeat dark comedy about a misfit, underdog teen, but by the end the comedic elements are stripped away, leaving a tragic story about a child's untreated mental illness.

FRAN CHALLENGE #9: STRANGER DANGER

20. Let the Right One In (Shudder) - Young Oskar is being bullied at school and fantasizes about taking revenge on his tormentors. Next door neighbor Eli helps him realize that he has the strength to stand up to his bullies. Also, she's a centuries old vampire killing people in their town on the outskirts of Stockholm. Part vampire film, part coming-of- age romance, this is definitely one of the best I've seen this month.

So life has prevented me from posting, but not watching movies. I'm putting this one in as a placeholder before this afternoon's deadline and will write the movies up later. My last eleven first time viewings for the month were: The Company of Wolves, Tales from the Hood 2, Carnival of Souls, Tenebrae, The Hills Have Eyes 2, Halloween (2018), Pet, The War of the Worlds, It Comes Without Warning, The Deadly Spawn, and John Carpenter's Village of the Damned. That batch also polished off the remaining Fran challenges for me, which I will outline later when I write these up.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

And that's it for me. This was fun. Full watch list is below, with Fran Challenges noted. If anyone's interested, anything in italics is a movie I re-watched for the first time in a period of at least 5 years, and anything bolded is a movie I'm seeing for the first time.

01. Cat People (1942) - 4/5
02. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers - 1/5
03. Mom and Dad - 3/5
04. Hell House LLC - 3/5
05. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - 2/5
06. Beetlejuice - 4/5
07. The Horror of Party Beach (FC #3) - 0/5
08. Wes Craven's New Nightmare (FC #4) - 1/5
09. The Return of the Living Dead - 5/5
10. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (FC #2) - 1/5
11. Murder Party - 4/5
12. Anaconda - 2/5
13. Dracula (1931) - 3/5
14. The Ritual - 3/5
15. Blade II - 3/5
16. The Beyond (FC #6) - 2/5
17. Sleepaway Camp (FC #5) - 1/5
18. Lord of Illusions - 1/5
19. The Mummy's Ghost - 3/5
20. Children of the Corn II: The Final Sacrifice (FC #1) - 2/5
21. The Mummy's Curse - 1/5
22. The Prophecy - 2/5
23. Child's Play 2 - 4/5
24. Halloween II (1981) - 2/5
25. Hotel Transylvania - 3/5
26. Psycho (1960) - 5/5
27. Halloween III - 3/5
28. The Creature Walks Among Us - 1/5
29. Train to Busan (FC #7) - 4/5
30. Frankenstein (1931) - 3/5
31. The Addams Family - 3/5
32. Bedeviled (FC #9) - 1/5
33. Halloween (2018) (FC #10) - 4/5
34. The Old Dark House (1932) - 2/5
35. Pumpkinhead (FC #8) - 4/5
36. Friday the 13th Part 2 - 2/5
37. Dead & Buried (FC #11) - 3/5
38. Summer of 84 - 4/5
39. Bride of Frankenstein (FC #12) - 3/5
40. Jigsaw - 3/5
41. Son of Frankenstein - 4/5
42. Critters 3 - 1/5
43. Leviathan (1989) - 2/5
44. Killer Klowns from Outer Space - 4/5
45. Mark of the Vampire - 1/5
46. 31 (FC #13) - 3/5
47. The Mummy's Hand - 2/5
48. The Wolf Man (1941) - 3/5
49. Freddy vs. Jason - 5/5
50. Trick 'r Treat (2007) - 3/5
51. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man - 2/5

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost: = 3
:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:= 9
:ghost::ghost::ghost: = 16
:ghost::ghost: = 11
:ghost: = 9
ZERO = 1

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Since everyone else is posting a recap, here's mine. This feels like it needs the That's Entertainment theme playing in the background.

Movies Watched and my Writeups:

1- The Golem
2- Dr.Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde
3- Hands of Orlac
4- Haxan
5- Phantom of the Opera
6- The Lodger
7- Werewolf of London
8- Freaks
9- Frankenstein
10- Bride of Frankenstein
11- Dracula
12- Spanish Dracula
13- Supernatural
14-The Mummy
15- King Kong
16- Invisible Man
17- Mummy's Hand
18- Mummy's Tomb
19- Mummy's Curse
20- Mummy's Ghost
21- Dracula's Daughter
22- Son of Dracula
23- Son of Frankenstein
24- Ghost of Frankenstein
25- Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man
26- Caltiki: The Immortal Monster
27- The Blob
28- Quatermass Experiment
29- Spacemaster x-7
30- Blood of Dracula
31- I was a Teenage Frankenstein
32- I was a Teenage Werewolf
33- How to make a Monster
34- The Bad Seed
35- Fiend without a Face
36- I Married a Monster from Outer Space
37- Invasion of the Saucer Men
38- Curse of Frankenstein
39- Horror of Dracula
40- The Mummy
41- The Monolith Monsters
42- From Hell it Came
43- Night of the Demon
44- Them!
45- The Deadly Mantis
46- Day the World Ended
47- Day of the Triffids
48- Kwaidan
49- Quatermass and the Pit
50- Queen of Blood (Fran Challenge #2)
51- Comedy of Terrors
52- Island of Terror
53- Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
54- The Blancheville Monster
55- The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
56- Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
57- Matango
58- Curse of the Werewolf
59- The Green Slime
60- It!
61- Blood Feast
62- The Flesh Eaters
63- Horror of Party Beach
64- Eye of the Devil
65- The Undertaker and his Pals
66- Tales of Terror
67- Daimajin
68- Return of Daimajin
69- Wrath of Daimajin
70- The Raven
71- The Fearless Vampire Killers
72- Island of the Burning Damned
73- Brainiac
74- Torture Garden
75- Mr. Sardonicus
76- Reptilicus
77- Mill of Stone Women
78- Burn Witch Burn
79- The Birds
80- Twice Told Tales
81- X, the Man with the X-Ray Eyes
82- Slime People
83- Last Man on Earth
84- Night of the Living Dead.
85- Planet of the Vampires
86- Plague of the Zombies
87- Hausu (Fran Challenge #1)
88- Track of the Moonbeast (Fran Challenge #3)
89- The Baby
90- Mephisto Waltz
91- I Drink Your Blood
92- Devil's Nightmare
93- Deathmaster
94- Don't Go in the House
95- Messiah of Evil
96- House that Dripped Blood
97- Equinox
98- Grapes of Death
99- Tales that Witness Madness
100- Count Yorga
101- The Return of Count Yorga
103- The Keep (Fran Challenge #4)
104- Nightmare in Wax (Fran Challenge #5)
105- Faces of Death (Fran Challenge #6)
106- House of Laughing Windows
107- The Wicker Man
108- Alucarda
109- The Abominable Dr. Phibes
110- Dr. Phibes Rises Again
111- Zombies of Sugar Hill
112- Deranged
113- Alice Sweet Alice
114- The Evil
115- Simon, King of Witches
116- Horror High
117- Blue Sunshine
118- Carrie
119- Dr. Jeckyll & Sister Hyde
120- Madhouse
121- Frightmare
122- Bloodsucking Freaks
123- House of Seven Corpses
124- Raw Meat
125- Beware! The Blob
126- Redeemer: Son of Satan
127- Slithis
128- The Legacy
129- Grave of the Vampire
130- The Comeback
131- Toolbox Murders
132- Buio Omega
133- Prophecy
134- Tombs of the Blind Dead (Fran Challenge #7)
135- Return of the Blind Dead
136- The Ghost Galleon
137- Night of the Seagulls
138- Cannibal Girls
139- Phase IV (Fran Challenge #8)
140- Toxic Zombies
141- Redneck Zombies
142- Fade to Black
143- Beast Within
144- Boogens
145- The Funhouse
146- Cabin in the Woods (Fran Challenge #9)
147- Nomads
148- Monster Club
149- Trick or Treat
150- Black Roses
151- Shocker
152- Monster Dog
153- Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare
154- Zombie Nightmare
155- Spookies
156- Company of Wolves
157- Demons
158- Demons 2
159- The Church
160- 976-Evil
161- I, Madman
162- Terror in the Aisles
163- Shock 'em Dead
164- Desecration
165- Pledge Night
166- DeadAlive
167- The Ugly
168- Wishmaster
169- Witch in the Window (Fran Challenge #10)
170- Psycho
171- Jack Frost
172- Tremors
173- Full Eclipse
174- The Frighteners
175- Frostbiter
176- Night of the Living Dead
177- The Guardian
178- House on Haunted Hill
179- Cronos
180- Dellamorte, Dellamore
181- Land of the Dead
182- Diary of the Dead
183- Survival of the Dead
184- Dead Birds
185- KM 31
186- The Irrefutable Truth about Demons
187- Hellhouse LLC (Fran Challenge #12)
188- Frankenstein's Army
189- Deathgasm
190- Cockneys vs Zombies
191- WNUF Halloween Special (Fran Challenge #13)
192- World War Z
193- Tucker & Dale vs Evil
194- VHS
195- VHS 2
196- VHS: Viral
197- Warm Bodies
198- Phantom of the Paradise
199- Son of Dracula
200- The Night Stalker

I'm sitting here and looking at this and I'm like 'Holy poo poo.'. When this started I wasn't thinking it'd end up being this much. When Spatulater did rough math early on about where I'd be if I kept pace, that got me wondering if it was even possible, then when I went over that and STAC Goat was saying the same thing as my fiance with 'make it 200 you're that close', well, there it is. I know there were some rooting for me to go over 200, but I figured to call it where it was.

I really liked reading everyone's reviews, they gave me some new perspectives on films. It was nice giving films I've not sat through in years another watch, and giving some films I passed on before a try. Some like Full Eclipse had me thinking 'Oh God...this is so dated it makes my brain hurt', and some I wasn't likely to end up sitting through like Witch in the Window I ended up enjoying. It was interesting to watch the evolution of movie posters when I was picking images. I really like the Fran Challenges since those had me really thinking on my choices, well save for Challenge #9 but that was very cathartic to get all that out. Having seen how others handled the Ironman does have me thinking on how I'll approach it next year. Equally I really enjoyed the hell out of Scream Stream. Overall, I'm adding this to my Halloween traditions, it's been just too much fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren: CLOSING TIIIIIIIME :siren:

I will no longer accept any new movie entries.

Feel free to post summaries and list favorites and let-downs, but do not try and increase your final tally.

I'll elaborate on prizes and such soon.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Okay, I'm bored at work so here's a brief summary:

Movies Seen: The Witching Season | Lifeforce | Terrifier | Unsane | I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House | From Beyond | 13 Ghosts | The Ritual | Child's Play | Twice-Told Tales | Beyond the Gates | Cat People (1982) | Fright Night | The Vampire Lovers | The Vampire Doll | Frightmare | Honeybee | Murder Party | Child's Play 2 | The Beyond | The Night of a Thousand Cats | Mandy | My Soul to Take | Apostle | Near Dark | Child's Play 3 | The Phantom Carriage | Halloween (1978) | Halloween II (1981) | Halloween (2018) | Creep 2 | The Quatermass Xperiment | Darling | Bride of Chucky | Phantom of the Opera (1943) | Ghost Stories | Ginger Snaps

37 films total
25 first time watches

Best first-time watches: Mandy, Creep 2, The Ritual

Best re-watches: From Beyond, Ginger Snaps, Near Dark

Worst: Cat People remake, Honeybee, The Night of a Thousand Cats

All Fran challenges complete!

1 - Love Something You Hate - Fright Night
2 - Queer Horror - The Vampire Lovers
3 - Hometown Horror - Honeybee
4 - Worst of the Best - My Soul to Take
5 - Birth of Horror - Frightmare
6 - Video Nasties - The Beyond
7 - The World is a Scary Place - The Phantom Carriage
8 - Once in a Lifetime - Near Dark
9 - Stranger Danger - Darling
10 - Fear and Now - Halloween (2018)
11 - Dead and Buried - Phantom of the Opera (1943)
12 - (Self-Described) Masters of Horror - Ghost Stories
13 - What We've All Been Waiting For - Ginger Snaps

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 1, 2018

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Was going to watch Young Frankenstein as a cooling lap. But my daughter wanted to watch the next item in the Frankenstein set :kiddo: talked her into saving that for next season and jumping to the end for...

Love that costume.

66. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948) - Blu-ray

A solid movie. When you can say that about an act's middling and arguably lower end material, you know the world had something special. Abbott and Costello are yet another comedy act I can watch with a grin any time and any place.

Vincent Price's cameo was the highlight of this one. Not just for the legend himself but it being a genuinely good gag with nice effects.

Tally: N/A Psycho (1960)*, 1. Halloween (1978), 2. Halloween II (1981), 3. Carnival of Souls (1962), 4. The Blob (1988), 5. I Bury the Living (1958), 6. Dead Men Walk (1943), 7. Nosferatu (1922), 8. Les Revenants (2002), 9. The Mummy's Hand (1940), 10. House on Haunted Hill (1959)*, 11. Lifeforce (1985), 12. The Gorilla (1939), 13. The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960), 14. November (2017), 15. Doghouse (2009), 16 Sssssss (1973), 17. Maniac (1934), 18. Thirst (2009)7, 19. Horror Hotel (1960), 20. Event Horizon (1997)*, 21. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)3, 22. Frankenstein (1931)*, 23. Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (1967), 24. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), 25. The Funhouse (1981)6, 26. Beetlejuice (1988)5, 27. Fright Night (1985)2, 28. Son of Frankenstein (1939), 29. The Terror, 30. A Cure for Wellness (2016), 31. Blood Diner (1987), 32. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), 33. The Killer Shrews (1959)9, 34. The Devil Bat (1940)9, 35. The Bat (1959), 36. Alien Apocalypse (2005)*, 37. Dave Made a Maze (2017)8, 38. Wrong Turn (2003), 39. Last Woman on Earth (1960)4, 40. Halloween (2018)10, 41. I Sell the Dead (2008), 42. Village of the Damned (1995), 43. Beast from 10,000 Fathoms (1953)*, 44. Gamera (1965), 45. Parents (1989), 46. Rigor Mortis (2013), 47. Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat (1989), 48. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982), 49. The Mist (2007)*ish 1, 50. The Slumber Party Massacre (1982), 51. Village of the Damned (1960)11, 52. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)*13, 53. The Blob (1958), 54. Corpse Bride (2005), 55. Phantasm II (1988), 56. The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962), 57. Piranha (1972), 58. The Fly (1986), 59. The Return of the Living Dead (1985)*12, 60. Scream of Fear (1961), 61. The Mummy (1959), 62. The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942), 63. The Evil Dead (1981)*, Evil Dead II (1987)*, 64. Hocus Pocus (1993), N/A It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966), 65. Army of Darkness (1992), 66. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

Years Spanned: 96 (1922-2018)

Tally by Decade: '20s (I), '30s (V), '40s (V), '50s (VII), '60s (XII), '70s (IV), '80s (XVI), '90s (VI), 2000s (VIII), 2010s (V)

B&W/Color: 26/43

Rewatch/Total Counted: 12/67

Countries: 'Murika, Canada, Blighty, France, Germany, Estonia, China, South Korea, Japan

Fran Challenges Complete: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

* Rewatch

E: Watched it this morning and was typing the slightly delayed post while Fran rang the bell. Leaving it in :colbert:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So here's how I did:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Goal #1: Watch The Terror (AMC miniseries) this week as a warmup.

Completed, as it's the first thing I did.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Goal #2: Starting this weekend, watch 30 movies by November 1 to make, with The Terror, 31.

Exceeded, with a total of 47, 32 of them new. Very happy with that.

New (32): #1 The Terror (2018), #6 Mandy (2018), #7 Dead Alive (1992), #8 Would You Rather (2012), #9 1922 (2017), #10 Infinity Chamber (2017), #11 Venom (2018), #12 Dagon (2001), #13 Demonic Toys (1992), #14 Murder Party (2007), #16 Godzilla (1954), #17 The Vault (2017), #18 Cargo (2017), #19 Berlin Syndrome (2017), #22 Dawn of the Dead (1978), #26 Seven in Heaven (2018), #27 Happy Death Day (2017), #28 Into the Forest (2015), #29 Hardware (1990), #30 Prodigy (2018), #31 The Survivalist (2015), #32, Honeymoon (2014), #33 Child's Play (1988), #37 Halloween (2018), #38 Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986), #39 The Last House on the Left (1972), #40 The Exorcist (1973), #41 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018), #43 Tremors (1990), #44 Phase IV (1974), #45 Hold the Dark (2018), #47 The Brood (1979)
Rewatch (15): #2 The Cabin in the Woods (2011), #3 Gone Girl (2014), #4 Annihilation (2018), #5 Seven (1995), #15 A Quiet Place (2018), #20 Doom (2005), #21 Predator (1987), #23 Gremlins (1984), #24 The Andromeda Strain (1971), #25 Split (2016), #34 Dawn of the Dead (2004), #35 Alien vs Predator (2004), #36 Alien vs Predator: Requiem (2007), #42 The Guest (2014), #46 Predator 2 (1990)

Most impressive first-time watches: Godzilla (1954), The Survivalist (2015), Halloween (2018)
Most impressive rewatches compared to recollection: Gremlins (1984), Predator 2 (1990), Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Least impressive overall: 1922 (2017), The Vault (2017), Seven in Heaven (2018)

Sir Kodiak posted:

Goal #3: Watch these 13 new-to-me movies:
  1. Alien 3 (Assembly Cut)
  2. The Beyond
  3. Beyond the Black Rainbow
  4. The Brood
  5. Child’s Play
  6. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
  7. Dead Alive
  8. The Exorcist
  9. From Beyond
  10. Godzilla (1954)
  11. Gremlins 2
  12. The Return of the Living Dead
  13. Suspiria

Only made it to 6/13 here. To the extent that I was watching specific things for an external reason, rather than just whatever sounded good at a time, it was for the Fran Challenges. I think that made for a better October, as those were more varied and interesting. I'm okay with leaving some of these on the table for next year or just regular movie watching during the year.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Goal #4: Complete all the Fran Challenges.

Completed. These were a lot of fun and really added a lot to my experience.

Fran Challenges (13/13): #7 [The World Is A Scary Place] Godzilla (1954), #3 [Hometown Horror] Dawn of the Dead (1978), #2 [Queer Horror] Into the Forest (2015), #8 [Once In A Lifetime] Dawn of the Dead (2004), #11 [Fear and Now] Halloween (2018), #12 [(Self-Described) Masters of Horror] Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986), #6 [Video Nasties] The Last House on the Left (1972), #13 [What We've All Been Waiting For] The Guest (2014), #9 [Stranger Danger] Tremors(1990), #11 [Dead & Buried] Phase IV (1974), #4 [Worst of the Best] Hold the Dark (2018), #1 [Love Something You Hate] Predator 2 (1990), #5 [Birth of Horror] The Brood (1979)

Thanks to everyone who organized this and participated. I know I write relatively brief reviews, but I appreciate everyone who produces more detailed thoughts.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Here are some rankings, for shits and giggles. Just wanted to thank all the participants in this challenge who reminded me that there is much uncharted territory in the horror genre, with seemingly endless new and interesting choices, good or bad, fun or tortuous.

BEST OF THE BEST (aiming to be as objective as possible here)

1. Alien (1979) / Aliens (1986) - tied for first place!
2. The Haunting of Hill House (2018, TV Series)
3. The Fog (1980) / They Live (1987) - tied for third!
4. Tremors (1990)
5. Halloween: H40 (2018)

WORST OF THE WORST

5. The Relic (1997)
4. C.H.U.D. (1984)
3. The Fog (2005)
2. Maximum Overdrive (1986)
1. Spawn of the Slithis (1978)

BIGGEST LETDOWN

The Descent (2006) - went in expecting this to rank at the top but ended up being one of my least favorite movie-watching experiences this Halloween. Objectively it is not among the worst, but the character behavior and writing was atrocious, and that's a fundamental part of a movie.

FAVORITE NEW DISCOVERIES / FIRST VIEWINGS

1. The Fog (1980)
2. Monkeyshines (1986)
3. Phantasm (1979)

These may just end up being annual traditions to watch, much like The VVitch and Creepshow! (though I emphasized new viewings this year).

STATS ON REWATCHES AND FIRST TIME VIEWINGS

New movies watched out of 31 total count: 23
Rewatches out of 31 total count: 8

Percentage of new movies watched overall: 75%, slightly short of my 80% goal but I'm quite happy!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Had these already written, but had to get on the road this morning.

#123. House on Haunted Hill (1959) *
I usually fall asleep when I watch this, but managed to stay up through it last night. And it wasn't as enjoyable as I remembered. It's very quaint, with the skeleton marionettes, pits of acid, floating heads, and so on. And it's fun seeing it as a precursor to Clue. But something about it just doesn't quite work for me. Maybe it's the staginess, or the obvious set-up with the guns (which one character even immediately identifies as being useless against ghosts), or the flat '50s characters outside of Price's character and his wife.
:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 10

#124. Theatre of Blood, a.k.a., Theater of Blood, a.k.a., Much Ado About Murder (1973)
I liked this more than House on Haunted Hill, but less than The Abominable Dr. Phibes. Kind of the same structure as the latter, with a wronged man taking murderous revenge against those he felt did him wrong (in this case, a Shakespearean actor offing his critics for not giving him an award), but with less style.
:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 10

And that's it for me, time to rack up the challenges met and break down the movies into rating groups.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

Is this the 2015 Sadist and one that came out in 1963?

The 60s one, sorry.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well, the month is over, and the challenge is done. What a month. I way, way out did myself, more than doubling the count of two years ago's time. I saw lots of great films, and more than a few terrible ones. I had the humbling lesson that there's always someone out there that's better than you, so don't stop improving--I kid about you being a monster M_Sinistri, but you're legit impressive, with good film opinions, and I'm happy to know you. And the rest of you it has been great seeing your journeys alongside mine as well. New perspectives on classics, new eyes getting to see amazing sights. What a trip.

I don't think I'd be able to effectively rank the films I saw, but the ones that were probably the most standout to me were Soft Matter, Skins, The Lure, Mandy, and Suspiria (2018) for stuff that will stick with me, and not all for the same reasons. There were plenty of other excellent films, but those five were probably at the top with no specific order, and are movies I plan on rewatching some time, whether in a group or alone.

Anyways, here's my list of everything I watched that I counted for the challenge. Again, I only count new-to-me films, not films that are rewatches. Due to things like scream stream, I got my share of those in too:

1. Ravenous 1999
2. Ghost Stories 2018
3. Insidious 2010
4. Baby Blood 1990
5. Tenderness of the Wolves 1973
6. The VVitch 2015
7. The Rosary Murders 1987
8. The Autopsy of Jane Doe 2016
9. Count Dracula 1970
10. 1922 2017
11. Belladona of Sadness 1973
12. Soft Matter 2018
13. Pet 2016
14. The Doctor and the Devils 1985
15. Ghost Dance 1980
16. Creep 2015
17. Eyes Without A Face 1960
18. Housewife 2017
19. Celia 1989
20. Resolution 2012
21. Human Lanterns 1982
22. Skeletons in the Closet 2018
23. Monster X 2018
24. Beyond the Door 1974
25. Microwave Massacre 1983
26. The Last Horror Film 1982
27. Who Can Kill A child? 1972
28. All The Colors of the Dark 1972
29. Demon Wind 1990
30. Lord of Tears 2013
31. Dead End Drive-In 1986
32. November 2017
33. Creep 2 2017
34. I am the Pretty Thing That Lives In The House 2016
35. Nail Gun Massacre 1985
36, Mutations 1974
37. Shock Waves 1975
38. Fury of the Demon 2016
39. Delirium: Photos of Gloria 1987
40. Blood Diner 1987
41. Carved: The Slit-Mouthed Woman 2007
42. Thoroughbreds 2017
43. The Blackcoat's Daughter 2015
44. The Endless 2017
45. The Litch 2018
46. Xibulba 2017
47. Found Footage 3D 2017
48. Bedeviled 2018
49. Diary of an exorcist 0 2017
50. The Lure 2015
51. Eko Eko Azarak: Wizard of Darkness 1995
52. Beyond The Darkness 1979
53. Zombi 4: After Life 1988
54. Bone Sickness 2005
55. Teaching Mrs. Tingle 1999
56. Splinter 2008
57. CreepTales 2004
58. Doom Asylum 1987
59. Shock 1977
60. Project Metalbeast 1995
61. Evil Dead Trap 2 1992
62. Bad Dreams 1988
63. pumpkinhead 2 1993
64. winterbeast 1992
65. Road Games 1981
66. I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle 1990
67. Leprechaun 4: In Space 1996
68. When Good Ghouls Go Bad 2001
69. Critters 4 1992
70. The Night Flier 1997
71. Singapore Sling 1990
72. Prom Night 2: Hello, Mary Lou 1987
73. Ghutan 2017
74. Zombie 5: Killer Birds 1987
75. Shocking Dark 1989
76. Monster Dog 1984
77. The other hell 1981
78. Scorpion with Two Tails 1982
79. Demonia 1990
80. Carved 2 2008
81. Eko Eko Azerak 2 1996
82. Scanners 3 1991
83. Mandy 2018
84. psycho cop 1989
85. Brotherhood of Satan 1971
86. Something Evil 1972
87. Do You Like Hitchcock? 2005
88. Good Against Evil 1997
89. Dinner With A Vampire 1988
90. Night of the Demons 2 1994
91. Creatures from the abyss 1994
92. Carnival of Souls 1998
93. Fermat's Room 2007
94. high school ghostbusters 1995
95. black candles 1982
96. The Flesh And Blood Show 1972
97. Beyond the Door 3 1989
98. Frankenstein 2011
99. Blood Car 2007
100. Halloween 2018
101. Hereditary 2018
102. Fascination 1979
103. Wizard of Gore 2008
104. Strange Rituals 2017
105. Zombie Holocaust aka Doctor Butcher MD (Medical Deviate) 1980
106. Touch of Death 1986
107. Hell Has No Boundaries 1982
108. Blood Beach 1980
109. Caltiki 1959
110. Ganja & Hess 1973
111. Scarab 1983
112. Skull Forest 2012
113. Slumber Party Massacre 2 1987
114. Phantom Empire 1988
115. Attack of the Beast Creatures 1985
116. Trick or Treats 1982
117. Tales From The Hood 2 2018
118. Must Love Horror 2018?
119. The Signal 2008
120. Cold Skin 2018
121. Skins 2017
122. The School 2018
123. Malevolent 2018
124. Incident in a Ghost Land 2018
125. Suspiria 2018

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Final Tally: 20/17
Fran Challenges:7/13. All except one were random hits.

The List:
1. Creepshow II
2. Monster Squad Once in A Lifetime
3. Mandy Fear and Now
4. Shock Dead and Buried
5. Devil Fetus Masters of Horror
6. Black Cat The World Is A Scary Place
7. Suspiria (Rewatch)
8. Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires
9. Vampire's Kiss
10. The Vampire Lovers Hometown Horror
11. The Howling II
12. Deathwatch (Rewatch)
13. Lord of Illusion
14. Don't Torture a Duckling
15. The Burbs
16. The Cell (Rewatch)
17. Cast a Deadly Spell
18. Hobo with a Shotgun (Rewatch)
19. Revenge Stranger Danger
20. Pulse

Favourite first watches: Vampire's Kiss, Black Cat
Least Favourite: Vampire's Kiss

By country:
USA: 9
Italy: 4
UK:2
China: 2
France: 1
Canada: 1
Japan: 1

Spook tally:
Man: 6
Vampire: 4
Ghost: 4
Misc. Undead: 3
Wildlife: 3
Demon: 3
Werewolf: 2
Witch: 1

Verdict: I feel like I didn't really challenge myself too much and just took it easy, watching mostly movies I'd have watched either way. 'Twas fun though, and thanks Fran for putting in all the work!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
1. Night of the Creeps 2.5/5 :siren: FC 5
2. Creep 2 3/5
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4/5
4. Maximum Overdrive 3.5/5
5. Creepshow 3/5
6. Viy 4/5
7. The Eternal Evil of Asia 4.5/5 :siren: FC7
8. Friday the 13th 3/5
9. Hostel 3/5 :siren: FC3
10. The Gestapo's Last Orgy 2/5 :siren: FC6
11. Student Bodies 2.5/5 :siren: FC8
12. Into the Dark / The Body 3.5/5
13. The Neon Demon 4/5 :siren: FC2
14. Psycho 5/5
15. The Wicker Man 3/5
16. Loved Ones 4/5
17. Suspiria (1977) 3/5
18. Chopping Mall 3/5 :siren: FC4
19. Mandy 4.5/5 :siren: FC10
20. Ebola Syndrome 4/5
21. Cronos 3/5
22. Wild Zero 3/5
23. Summer of 84 3.5/5
24. The Babysitter 4/5
25. Venom 2.5/5 :siren: FC9
26. Halloween (2018) 4/5 :siren: FC13
27. The Invisible Man (1933) 4/5 :siren: FC12
28. Diabolique 4.5/5 :siren: FC11
29. Serial Mom 3.5/5
30. Slither 3.5/5
31. V/H/S 2 3/5 :siren: FC1
:toot:

Another October is over, and all I have to show for it is another 31 horror movies watched and 13 Fran Challenges completed. No rewatches. Which is a pretty good result all things considered!

I generally tried my best to pick the best possible movies as I have no desire to knowingly spend two hours on something lovely so there weren't any real stinkers this year either. A few were somewhat disappointing due to high expectations or just a wrong mood, but plenty of good stuff as well. The reviews and scores probably aren't particularly good or consistent as I tended to write them while half asleep or during lunch break the next day, but hopefully they were somehow useful.

Thanks everyone for the fun thread, it's always great to experience something new and get inspired by others' ideas. Especially you crazy mothterfuckers who watched over a hundred movies :tipshat:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 1, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is anyone else pretty burned out on horror? I need to watch Andrei Rublev or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Is anyone else pretty burned out on horror? I need to watch Andrei Rublev or something.

I'm always a little burned out at this point but I'm actually not totally this year for whatever reason. I'm probably gonna watch a few of the lingering movies I wanted to get to in the last week and didn't. But right now i'm just feeling a sense of relief that I can watch whatever I want tonight without any sense of obligation for it to be horror.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think I’m gonna do westerns this month. RDR2 got me in the mood.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

is there witches or gremlins in that?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah I get a little burnt out, but horror is my passion in life, and I'm sure I'll be watching a few flicks this month at least. Horror is never going to leave this system, I assure you.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm not. However I am thinking of different angles for the future challenges than watch a shitload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

62 this year which is 16 more than last year and quite a lot more than I expected to watch going into the challenge. I think I'm going to watch romantic comedies for the rest of the week. November will be the month for getting through my Filmstruck watchlist.

A Rough Top 5 (no rewatches, alphabetical order):
The Addiction
Possession
Return of the Living Dead
Revenge
Tales From the Hood

Worst: Halloween: Resurrection

7 2018 movies

By Decade:
2010s: 14
2000s: 4
1990s: 13
1980s: 19
1970s: 6
1960s: 3
1950s: 1
1930s: 2

Countries:
USA: 34
Hong Kong: 7
UK: 5
Italy: 4
France: 3
Mexico: 2
and 1 each from: Canada, Austria, Germany, Japan, North Korea, New Zealand, and Poland

Fran Challenges:
#1: Love Something You Hate - 28 Weeks Later
#2: Queer Horror - Nightbreed
#3: Hometown Horror - The Oregonian
#4: Worst of the Best / Best of the Worst - The Ward
#5: Birth of Horror - Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
#6: Video Nasties - Tenebre
#7: The World Is A Scary Place - Alucarda
#8: Once In A Lifetime - Angst
#9: Stranger Danger - Pulgasari
#10: Fear and Now - Tales From the Hood 2
#11: Dead & Buried - The Crazies
#12: (Self-Described) Masters of Horror - Phenomena
#13: The Night We've All Been Waiting For - Halloween (2018)

Star ratings:
5 - 7
4 - 29
3 - 14
2 - 8
1 - 4

Complete list:
Total: 62. The Untold Story (3/5), *The Sleep Curse (4/5), The Faculty (3/5), Demon Knight (4/5), Return of the Living Dead (4/5), The Evil of Frankenstein (3/5), Hellraiser: Judgment (1/5), Vampyres (3/5), We're Going to Eat You (3/5), The Slumber Party Massacre (4/5), The Eternal Evil of Asia (3/5), ~*28 Weeks Later (3/5), Phantasm II (4/5), Ravenous (4/5), Carrie (4/5), The Beyond (4/5), ~The Ward (1/5), Village of the Damned['95] (2/5), Amer (4/5), Halloween 4 (2/5), Halloween 5 (2/5), Manhunter (4/5), Revenge (5/5), ~Nightbreed (3/5), Mandy (4/5), Shivers (4/5), The Purge (2/5), The Purge: Anarchy (3/5), Satanico Pandemonium (2/5), The Purge: Election Year (2/5), ~Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (4/5), The First Purge (4/5), The Addiction (5/5), Tales From the Hood (5/5), ~Angst (4/5), Apostle (3/5), ~Tenebre (4/5), The Invisible Man (4/5), Halloween 6 (1/5), Halloween H20 (2/5), Possession (5/5), The Old Dark House (4/5), ~Alucarda (4/5), Halloween: Resurrection (1/5), The Pit and the Pendulum (4/5), Corpse Mania (4/5), ~The Oregonian (3/5), Near Dark (4/5), ~Tales From the Hood 2 (3/5), ~The Crazies (3/5), Spooky Encounters (4/5), The Curse of Frankenstein (4/5), Onibaba (4/5), *Demons (5/5), Eyes Without a Face (4/5), ~Phenomena (4/5), ~Pulgasari (2/5), Visible Secret (4/5), Braindead (4/5), *The Lure (5/5), ~Halloween 2018 (3/5), *Halloween 3 (5/5)
*-rewatch (5)
~-fran challenge

• Locked thread