Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Snowy posted:

Being older means I’ll probably die sooner but at least I was old enough to hate nu metal from the beginning :rip:

I was still just a teenager in the late 90s, but I was enamored by power metal early on so I grew up detesting all that ugly chugging nu-metal poo poo. Still can't be loving bothered with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Everything up to and including White Pony is good, don't get me wrong.

If you didn't listen to Koi No Yokan you missed out big time, it's up there with their best.

Anyway, this is pretty good IMO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9nw9gbXuVY

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just had the pleasure of witnessing Brought By Pain live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nd5NSxP0A

Holy poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just watched sergeant D aka PunkRockMBA do a breakdown of how slipknot got so big and a lot of it was incredibly smart marketing on their part and their target audience

Openly appealing to outcast young people will work pretty often, it's also why ICP and KISS are rich (that and Gene Simmons is shameless). KISS seems incredibly tame now but they used to be the type of band that would arouse suspicion of all kinds of poo poo that would get you harassed and whatnot by cops and and school officials. People really bought into the whole "Knights in Satan's Service" thing, and Gene and Paul were smart enough to exploit it for as long as possible, then ditched it when it was no longer profitable.

I feel like he could do a similar breakdown of KISS and it would be pretty interesting, especially if he avoided talking to Gene and still made it compelling.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 1, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i give slipknot some credit for following their commercial success with the album "Iowa", which first track had an acquaintance of mine buy it on release day, then toss it in the trash because it was "too noisy and scary"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
credit where it's due they were good enough sports to troll their mouthbreather audience with one of the dumbest conan gags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm6OZ1metMo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

credit where it's due they were good enough sports to troll their mouthbreather audience with one of the dumbest conan gags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm6OZ1metMo

You can tell it's an older clip, because Conan still has his "Walker, Texas Ranger" lever

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Nordick posted:

I was still just a teenager in the late 90s, but I was enamored by power metal early on so I grew up detesting all that ugly chugging nu-metal poo poo. Still can't be loving bothered with it.

hell, same.

Although I can say Fear factory have good riffs, and Deftones are good.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Slipknot is a band I don't care for but appreciate in some ways because they were a gateway band who were gracious enough to acknowledge their influences publicly and frequently. They also appealed to some really hosed up kids who in a way that might seem shallow to us, but meant the world to a 15 year old somewhere who probably got called "fag" as often as he did his actual name. Maybe once he felt like he belonged, once he found other Slipknot fans. Same reason I can't totally hate juggalos, the source material seems crap to me, but it has probably stopped a few good but confused people from committing suicide. Every generation has stuff like this, you can either get with it or don't, but being the guy who loudly has to let others know your disdain for it doesn't make you a tastemaker par excellence, it makes you an rear end in a top hat.

Totally agree. Love slipknot, was at the right age for them. Couldn't be a bigger fan.

My memory sucks though, which bands did they frequently acknowledge?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

il_cornuto posted:

If you didn't listen to Koi No Yokan you missed out big time, it's up there with their best.

I'll be checking it out. I know I liked the song Minerva but not so much the album, and I didn't really pay attention after that.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i give slipknot some credit for following their commercial success with the album "Iowa", which first track had an acquaintance of mine buy it on release day, then toss it in the trash because it was "too noisy and scary"

Man, noisy and scary is kinda my thing, maybe I'll go back and check this out too.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was also 15 in 1999, and I started with Death, Manowar, Yngwie Malmsteen and King Diamond. Don't blame the times for your lovely choices in music.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tias posted:

I was also 15 in 1999, and I started with Death, Manowar, Yngwie Malmsteen and King Diamond. Don't blame the times for your lovely choices in music.

Tbf there’s also the whole access thing for some; in the late 90s in rural North Carolina I started with what my friends found, which happened to be Slipknot and Cradle of Filth v:shobon:v

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
oh sure, and as I've stated before itt I probably would listen to poo poo if my older brother hadn't played all the sweet trash to me from a young age.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
if you weren't downloading Immortal bootlegs from Kazzaa then gtfo this thread

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I think my nu-metal phase ran the two year stretch between discovering that modern heavy music was a thing and the MP3 boom showing me that it got a lot better than the poo poo I was listening to

I hated everything else about '98-99 so really there's no nostalgia attached at all

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
In high school in the 80's, I could put my radio in my bedroom window and just barely catch Metal Shop broadcasts from a local station.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
hey its friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c_akd_yR3U

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk0SnO1x1ko

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tias posted:

drat, you nailed it. Why couldn’t that have been my experience?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

the yeti posted:

Tbf there’s also the whole access thing for some; in the late 90s in rural North Carolina I started with what my friends found, which happened to be Slipknot and Cradle of Filth v:shobon:v

same here but early 90s

we had to walk to school uphill both ways because the earth's crust was still forming, and buy our music from the earache mail order catalog we got from sending in from an ad in the back of a guitar world magazine

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Satan bless Rockabilia magazine and the local flea market stall that sold metal shirts/racist shirts for letting me start my descent in black t shirt culture

Parachute
May 18, 2003
oh yeah cool you had an older brother to guide your musical taste while i just went to the record store and picked out the albums with the most skulls on them and hoped for the best

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Parachute posted:

oh yeah cool you had an older brother to guide your musical taste while i just went to the record store and picked out the albums with the most skulls on them and hoped for the best

i miss doing this.

local record store/pseudo pawn shop lets you listen to any used CD they have with headphones, and I'd just grab the most skull-laden and metal looking albums and listen to the first track of each, then buy as many as I could afford.

some ended up being real duds, but I DID discover this in 1999 when it came out:

ended up being one of my favs of all time.

now I just hit up bandcamp and listen to tracks, which loses a bit of it's charm, but I also don't have to worry about a friend stealing and getting caught in the store.

I WAS the older brother who got his younger brother into metal and heavy music, who eventually ended up getting Converge's Jane Doe album cover tattooed on his forearm.

I think I did OK.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sorry for the BACK IN MY DAY but I really loving miss blind buying and blind downloading poo poo that sounded and looked cool. Nowadays I often hit up rym to see what the good albums are for bands I hear about and go from there. It’s lame! Oddly enough streaming has been an alright return to just diving into random stuff. At least I’ve always disliked music reviews in the “is this album good or bad” variety so I don’t bother with those.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Totally agree. Love slipknot, was at the right age for them. Couldn't be a bigger fan.

My memory sucks though, which bands did they frequently acknowledge?

I definitely remember reading stuff where they talked about Mr.Bungle and Melt Banana.

That actually relates well to the convo at hand, because one of the bets pieces of advice I got when it comes to finding new music was "Find out what the bands you already like listen to, and give them a shot". I bet because of that article, somebody discovered those bands and it was a big gateway for them.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 2, 2018

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
gently caress yes new Corpsessed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DctpX-tALvA

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Corpsessed owns

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Parachute posted:

Same, with the additional constraint that I lived out in the boondocks in rural Norway, and I turned 16 in 1988 so the metal content of the local record stores was kind of limited and random (this was a few years before Norwegian black metal even was a thing). And also there was one (1) weekly hour-long metal show on the radio around the late 80s/early 90s. So I randomly got into stuff like Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Testament and Bathory; but never got exposed to Megadeth, for example.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I was broke as hell back then and couldn't risk lovely CDs. I did have friends who got me into Meshuggah (Destroy Erase Improve was just released), Shellac, and all sorts of other noisy poo poo. Then someone told me to grab Soilwork's Figure Number Five from their DCC bot and here we are today.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

w00t this is just what the doctor ordered

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kilometers Davis posted:

Same 100% and honestly even at 28 it’s just as important to me in a certain way.

brother I am 31 and I just went through a really painful breakup and it is comforting

we strange breed who are comforted by things like Aborted and Gorguts.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I found out about new poo poo by going to the mall and buying samplers.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

In 85 I didn’t know a lot of metalheads, I was 14 and just figuring stuff out from looking at records and zines. There was a great NYC area radio show called Midnite Metal that was on from midnight to 6am playing Celtic Frost, Kreator, all that good mid 80s stuff. I used to set an alarm so I could wake up every hour to flip a tape a record the whole six hours and I’d be set for the week.

The host did an interview with Tom Warrior but I missed it and was so bummed I wrote and asked him if he’d send me a copy. He not only sent it to me but recorded a custom intro giving me a shoutout for being a loyal listener, it ruled.

E- holy poo poo I wish this video was way longer, love those accents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCmq7o-fh2Q

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nativity In Black posted:

I found out about new poo poo by going to the mall and buying samplers.

I remember picking up Metal for the Masses vol 2 from Hot Topic. CD was OK, but with it was a second disc with 150 mp3s on there. Borknagar, Therion, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, SYL, Tiamat... got into some good stuff because of that CD. I bought the third one too but it didn't have mp3s and was kind of garbage.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Here, have some dorky-rear end cheese for your Saturday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPF-NUcI-N0

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Re: Discovery chat, did anyone else use Audiogalaxy a lot? I found some of my enduring faves (Blind Guardian, Stormwarrior, to name two) because it had a whole ‘bands that sound like the band you’re looking at’ system

Have a speedy saturday:
https://youtu.be/g97meJ4YS4o

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bertrand Hustle posted:

brother I am 31 and I just went through a really painful breakup and it is comforting

we strange breed who are comforted by things like Aborted and Gorguts.

Same with horror movies and all that too. I dealt with a ton of childhood/adolescent poo poo by way of horror and metal and my love for both has only become stronger.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

the yeti posted:

Re: Discovery chat, did anyone else use Audiogalaxy a lot? I found some of my enduring faves (Blind Guardian, Stormwarrior, to name two) because it had a whole ‘bands that sound like the band you’re looking at’ system

Have a speedy saturday:
https://youtu.be/g97meJ4YS4o

I sure did love spending ages downloading a single song from audiogalaxy and hoping that it was a) good and b) the actual song that I wanted.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Loved Audiogalaxy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
PSA