Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

notaspy posted:

I am re-reading the first culture book as I only read the first quarter, and gently caress me I must have been half asleep when I first did.

Had no idea that the changer dude was human and part of a war. I thought he was some sort of pirate.

Ban this sick filth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Biplane posted:

Ban this sick filth

Haha, I thought I had posted that elsewhere. Explains why I was getting no response.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

notaspy posted:

Haha, I thought I had posted that elsewhere. Explains why I was getting no response.

Disgusted at ur slandering of Horza

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

So far he seems a bit of a self righteous prick.

If he was in the imperium he would have been shot by now for xenoloving

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Well for one hes not human. For another yes he is self righteous as gently caress but I feel that is warranted since his species is basically going extinct.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 30, 2018

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

berzerkmonkey posted:

There ain't a lot available. Avoid anything prior to the Nagash book. I'm listening to "Soul Wars" right now, but I'm not impressed. The narrator isn't great, and I keep losing interest.

If you can read a paper copy, Spear of Shadows is a pretty good book.

I'm listening to the audiobook of Hammerhal and Other Stories and I'm enjoying it. There's a lot more grey in this setting than in 40k.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Plavski posted:

I'm listening to the audiobook of Hammerhal and Other Stories and I'm enjoying it. There's a lot more grey in this setting than in 40k.

Oh, yeah - I forgot to mention that one. It's billed as babby's first AoS, so it's supposed to be alright in terms of the collection. You might enjoy the "original" AoS novels - some of the Hammerhal stories are pulled from those books. I heard they are pretty bad though, and have avoided them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I just listened to my very first audio book on a longer drive, and while not the most riveting stories, it was a loving amazing way to pass the time while slogging along the autobahn at a casual 140kmh.

It was Dan Abnett's Talon and Thorn, and I still have the 60 minutes of the third story left over for the trip back home.

What have I been doing with my life...listening to regular music like a lunatic

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh man, you're in for a treat. Anything narrated by Jonathan Keeble that I've heard has been amazing so far. Helsreach, Talon of Horus, Black Legion and Betrayer are all A+ listens.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For Age of Sigmar books I have heard good things about Shadespire the Mirrored City and the Callis and Toll series (Which stars a Witch Hunter and a FreeGuild Sergent.) Don't know if they are in audio book form however. (But they probably are. )

There is also a New Gotrek and Felix story called Realmslayer coming out that is a full audio Drama. With Brian Blessed as Gotrek. Apparently about Gotrek waking up in the mortal Realms insulting any Elves he runs into, shouting he has not forgotten his oaths, and going off to find Felix.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 31, 2018

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Only one of the Callis books is in audiobook, but it's on my list. The selection is small so far but growing, unlike the chronicles stuff unfortunately :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

For Age of Sigmar books I have heard good things about Shadespire the Mirrored City and the Callis and Toll series (Which stars a Witch Hunter and a FreeGuild Sergent.) Don't know if they are in audio book form however. (But they probably are. )

There is also a New Gotrek and Felix story called Realmslayer coming out that is a full audio Drama. With Brian Blessed as Gotrek. Apparently about Gotrek waking up in the mortal Realms insulting any Elves he runs into, shouting he has not forgotten his oaths, and going off to find Felix.

Yeah, I got an update from the Black Library about the new Gotrek-story. Too bad it's an audio drama, as I generally don't like those.

In other news, I sat down and read the newest Caiaphas Cain book. He's finally fighting a new enemy! Well, mostly. He also meets an old flame again. Two, if you count Amberley. Or would she be a current flame?

Anyway, it was fun, basically if you know Caiaphas there aren't many surprises and I can still recommend it. There are also some funny moments when Caiaphas blithely ignores what Aeldari call their own poo poo and Amberley has to correct him in her footnotes. :v:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Plavski posted:

Only one of the Callis books is in audiobook, but it's on my list. The selection is small so far but growing, unlike the chronicles stuff unfortunately :(

The other one is a short story, not a full novel. At best, there might be an audio drama in the future, but it's not likely.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Telsa Cola posted:

Well for one hes not human. For another yes he is self righteous as gently caress but I feel that is warranted since his species is basically going extinct.

Horza sucks

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Who you calling a Horza.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

while I do appreciate your username, this is a Horza mockery-free zone

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Old Earth - good/mediocre/bad?

Also any of the Primarch books outside of Khan good? (Already read that one).

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

The Rat posted:

Oh man, you're in for a treat. Anything narrated by Jonathan Keeble that I've heard has been amazing so far. Helsreach, Talon of Horus, Black Legion and Betrayer are all A+ listens.

Keeble's voice for Telemachon in Talon of Horus made me slide a full point on the Kinsey scale, not ashamed to tell ya.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I've mentioned it in this thread before, but he also narrated the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell, which is what ADB is basing his Black Legion series off of, in terms of narrative structure.

Was on a road trip and had just finished Black Legion and then The Winter King started playing and when I realized it was Jonathan Keeble again I was like AWWWW poo poo YEAH

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

The Rat posted:

Betrayer in particular. His Angron is :kiss:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

He reads some stories in the Hammerhal AoS audiobook I'm listening to and they're just fantastic. Listening to his Skaven bickering with his Nurgle Champions is a treat.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Rat posted:

Finished Thorn wishes Talon on the drive back home today, and what a read listen. Actually missed an exit because Ravenor's gang fighting a dreadnought before Eisenhorn comes swooping in to save the day was pretty drat riveting.

One thing I've noticed though is that the three audiobook stories I've gone through so far all seem very "easy reading", so not very complex at all, no big plot twists or giant reveals towards the end, which on the one hand, is a bit disappointing, but on the other hand, I guess you need to keep it sortakinda "simple" for the audio format. Amazing narration and really good voice-acting too. Only Thonius had a bit of an odd cast, though I get he needs to be voiced as the inexperienced, nerdy team member in that part of the Ravenor storyline.

Couple of odd inconsistencies as well, like the Divine Fratery suddenly having a dreadnought with lascannons out of nowhere, and then later that dreadnought jams up and can't "cycle its cannons" like it suddenly has autocannons and Eisenhorn psi-jams the ammo feed or something. But just a tiny bump that doesn't really matter anyway. This whole 3-part series has been an amazing first experience to audiobooks, and now I'm furiously looking for more stuff to properly fill my two-and-a-half hour trips back home every other weekend.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Finished Thorn wishes Talon on the drive back home today, and what a read listen. Actually missed an exit because Ravenor's gang fighting a dreadnought before Eisenhorn comes swooping in to save the day was pretty drat riveting.

One thing I've noticed though is that the three audiobook stories I've gone through so far all seem very "easy reading", so not very complex at all, no big plot twists or giant reveals towards the end, which on the one hand, is a bit disappointing, but on the other hand, I guess you need to keep it sortakinda "simple" for the audio format. Amazing narration and really good voice-acting too. Only Thonius had a bit of an odd cast, though I get he needs to be voiced as the inexperienced, nerdy team member in that part of the Ravenor storyline.

Couple of odd inconsistencies as well, like the Divine Fratery suddenly having a dreadnought with lascannons out of nowhere, and then later that dreadnought jams up and can't "cycle its cannons" like it suddenly has autocannons and Eisenhorn psi-jams the ammo feed or something. But just a tiny bump that doesn't really matter anyway. This whole 3-part series has been an amazing first experience to audiobooks, and now I'm furiously looking for more stuff to properly fill my two-and-a-half hour trips back home every other weekend.

All the Eisenhorn short stories are in the audible version of Magos. Listen to "The Strange Demise of Titus Endor", it's not quite so simple. Definitely my favorite 40K short so far.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm still trying to figure out what actually happened in that story other than Titus being infected by the worms that presumably ultimately killed him.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
He was mad... but he was also right. He learned to accept it.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hapshant gave him brain worms that slowly caused him to go crazy and hallucinate. Pretty sure the whole story was basically "this is all a fever dream by a crazy man."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question for history/40k nerds. Is the Dropsite Massacre on Istvaan a reference to the assassination of Istvan Tisza in WW1 when Austria and Hungary severed ties and shattered the Empire?

Orv
May 4, 2011
The original 40K people were gigantic history nerds so it's almost assured that that's the case but I'm sure it's never been said in any kind of official capacity.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Hapshant gave him brain worms that slowly caused him to go crazy and hallucinate. Pretty sure the whole story was basically "this is all a fever dream by a crazy man."

Most of it, anyway. There are periods of lucidity interspersed in there, though.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

berzerkmonkey posted:

Most of it, anyway. There are periods of lucidity interspersed in there, though.

True. When his interrogator showed up seemed to be some of those moments. That was a good story.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I figured it was Titus "reliving" his last case and going through the same motions he did X years ago, while his former-interrogator was trying to get him to knock it off without actually getting him into trouble. The thing that really threw me for a loop was when he visits the dancers flat.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Brian Blessed is going to be the voice of Gotrek Gurnisson in Realmslayer audio drama.

https://twitter.com/brianblessed/status/1041980117231312897

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Vadoc posted:

Brian Blessed is going to be the voice of Gotrek Gurnisson in Realmslayer audio drama.

https://twitter.com/brianblessed/status/1041980117231312897

That... doesn't actually seem like a good fit to me? Gotrek is taciturn and grumpy and doesn't talk a lot unless i'm not remembering correctly (it has been awhile).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

hopterque posted:

That... doesn't actually seem like a good fit to me? Gotrek is taciturn and grumpy and doesn't talk a lot unless i'm not remembering correctly (it has been awhile).

Really depends on his mood and state of drunkenness.

Orv
May 4, 2011

hopterque posted:

Gotrek talks a lot actually. Well, he says lots of variations on "This is hosed" and "I'mma kill me a _____" and occasionally he grumbles about various things so I think Brian Blessed would be fine.

E: And I think he has an Indiana Jones snake line about trolls? It's been a hot minute.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 4, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
All of the F&G stories are Felix ostensibly writing them down to record Gotrek's demise. He's not necessarily going to remember to write everything Gotrek's says, especially since most of what comes out of the dwarf's mouth are insults and challenges.

Also, Gotrek is showing up in an entirely new world, minus Felix, so I assume he's going to be a little more talkative in this story.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

There's a 6 minute sample up on audible now as it has been released: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Realmslayer-Audiobook/1780308825

Blessed is delightful and Keebler is typically his excellent self.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Plavski posted:

There's a 6 minute sample up on audible now as it has been released: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Realmslayer-Audiobook/1780308825

Blessed is delightful and Keebler is typically his excellent self.

Oh hell yeah, it's going to be gotrek grognarding his way through warhammer planescape looking for his hypeman!

I take back everything bad I've ever said about AoS.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Dikkfor posted:

I take back everything bad I've ever said about AoS.

Woah there, let's not be too hasty. There's been improvements but it still deserves some scorn at how GW did it and the glacial pace they're moving at to introduce everything for it, and 40K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What are you talking about? They've released two complete armies (Nighthaunt and Deepkin,) the new Stormcast (pretty much a complete army on its own), AoS 2, the new magic system and spells, Malign Portents, a handful of Battletomes, and just announced Goblins, all in 2018.

Yeah, they blew the AoS launch, but they've certainly recovered and have been picking up the pace.