Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Applewhite posted:

I’m looking for a list of fantasy novels that present themselves as historian accounts of the fictional world (complete with footnotes) This is to prove a point to someone who thinks it is unconventional for fantasy novels to present themselves thus.

I already have LOtR/the Silmarillion

Jack Vance’s Lyonesse Trilogy

But these well-known examples aren’t being accepted as sufficient proof of what is a standard convention of fantasy literature and the top of my head is coming up short.

Mary Gentle's Ash: A Secret History.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Himuro posted:

It is 1100 pages. I’m not sure that’s the best place to start?

I think Firestarter or The Dead Zone are the best starters. Firestarter feels like it was written in an inspired rush, the words pouring onto the page as fast as his fingers could type them. The Dead Zone is a little bit more thoughtful. They're both fairly early novels but will give you an excellent sense of his writing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

I think Firestarter or The Dead Zone are the best starters. Firestarter feels like it was written in an inspired rush, the words pouring onto the page as fast as his fingers could type them. The Dead Zone is a little bit more thoughtful. They're both fairly early novels but will give you an excellent sense of his writing.

Yeah, I'll also vouch for these two.

Really, any King book from 1975-80 is a safe bet. That's the golden era with nothing but hits.

Then he got really into hard drugs and the lows got lower and highs got higher. For every Pet Sematary you get a Roadwork and Cujo.

Pretty much everything in the 90's to now is skippable, with the caveat that every book has its fans. If the premise sounds fun, you can give it a go and see where you fall.

The exception to the rule is short story collections, which is where he shines brightest, no matter the era.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm going on a trip to Breckenridge, Colorado in a week.

I would like something nice to read on kindle while out and about. Preferably snowy, autumnal, or involving the area/state.

I'm open to a novel, non-fiction, short story collection, or poetry. Nothing too long.

Please and thank you!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Oh I forgot about Firestarter. I love Firestarter.

I think Cujo is also really good if you want a book about a failing marriage that pretends to be a horror novel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They go downhill in quality unfortunately. It's a stop when you feel like it they don't get better series, unless you're really attached to the characters and want the whole character arc.

Wimsey has no character beyond "hello I can literally do anything and I can do it better than anyone what ho".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wimsey has no character beyond "hello I can literally do anything and I can do it better than anyone what ho".

Oh Sayers deliberately wrote him as a depression era escapism fantasy, she was quite frank about that.

But she did give him ww1 PTSD which led to a little depth here and there. Unless I'm confusing him with Campion but Campion was a deliberate Wimsey pastiche anyway.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They both had shell shock, but campion’s was only referenced by lugg iirc whereas Sayers, an intellectual, wrote Whimsey having an attack.

Best “golden age” mystery series is and will forever remain the Burford family series by James Anderson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1793992.The_Affair_of_the_Blood_Stained_Egg_Cosy He only wrote thee of them and then went and died on us but my god he nailed it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

I’m looking for a list of fantasy novels that present themselves as historian accounts of the fictional world (complete with footnotes) This is to prove a point to someone who thinks it is unconventional for fantasy novels to present themselves thus.

But these well-known examples aren’t being accepted as sufficient proof of what is a standard convention of fantasy literature and the top of my head is coming up short.

Would Utopia, Gulliver's Travels, and Erewhon count?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Applewhite posted:

The most extreme example of this is Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norell but I suspect that's the one sparking the discussion. JS & MN does take the trope to an extreme but even, say, Wheel of Time has postscripts and prescripts in every volume supposedly written by in-world historians or fragments of historical records, and there are characters within the series who are very clearly supposed to be the ones "writing it all down" (Loial, etc.)

Depending on how you draw your genre boundaries, also House of Leaves. Or almost anything by Gene Wolfe -- Torturer books, Latro books, etc.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Applewhite posted:

Does Dracula count (lol)? I can think of a few sci-fi novels that do it, but I'm not pulling fantasy...

Himuro posted:

I’ve always wanted to read Stephen King. Where do I start?

Nthing Skeleton Crew and seconding Franchescanado's post.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm going on a roadtrip for about 6 hours tomorrow and later this month on a business trip to Japan with lots of long flights and bus/train rides. I'd really like a hefty amount of sci-fi to listen to while I go on these trips. I'd like it to be gripping stuff without too many dry, boring bits (bad example: Foundation). I like stuff that dips into horror territory, with strange alien races, the fear of the unknown, maybe even some body horror or Lovecraftian elder powers or devouring hordes of aliens threatening the existence of us poor puny humans. Or just exciting, well-written sci-fi. Preferably stuff that takes place in space with at least one species that isn't human involved. Old or new. As long as I can find audiobooks of them. I'm not super well read in sci-fi so even really obvious suggestions are okay. Might go without saying but not Ender's Game. Or any of the Alien books since those ones I have read.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Getsuya posted:

I'm going on a roadtrip for about 6 hours tomorrow and later this month on a business trip to Japan with lots of long flights and bus/train rides. I'd really like a hefty amount of sci-fi to listen to while I go on these trips. I'd like it to be gripping stuff without too many dry, boring bits (bad example: Foundation). I like stuff that dips into horror territory, with strange alien races, the fear of the unknown, maybe even some body horror or Lovecraftian elder powers or devouring hordes of aliens threatening the existence of us poor puny humans. Or just exciting, well-written sci-fi. Preferably stuff that takes place in space with at least one species that isn't human involved. Old or new. As long as I can find audiobooks of them. I'm not super well read in sci-fi so even really obvious suggestions are okay. Might go without saying but not Ender's Game. Or any of the Alien books since those ones I have read.

I'm plowing through the Expanse books and they seem to fit all your criteria and they're a BLAST to read. There's a lot of them too!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I will again recommend Becky Chambers' Wayfarers books. They are fun sci-fi with lots of interesting alien species

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Getsuya posted:

I’m more into hard SF than you, I think. But off the top of my head I can’t recommend enough:

Pushing Ice by Alistair Reynolds
Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson
Children of Time by Adrien Tchaikovsky
Blindsight by Peter Watts
Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
Borne by Jeff Vandermeer
Annihilation (and the Area X trilogy) by Vandermeer as well
Dragon’s Egg by Robert L. Forward
The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Getsuya posted:

I'm going on a roadtrip for about 6 hours tomorrow and later this month on a business trip to Japan...

Scalzi's Old Man's War series, Haldeman's Forever War

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Horror/Supernatural/Science Fiction and set in London, but Rook and Stilleto by Daniel O'Malley are awesome

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The most extreme example of this is Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norell but I suspect that's the one sparking the discussion. JS & MN does take the trope to an extreme but even, say, Wheel of Time has postscripts and prescripts in every volume supposedly written by in-world historians or fragments of historical records, and there are characters within the series who are very clearly supposed to be the ones "writing it all down" (Loial, etc.)

Depending on how you draw your genre boundaries, also House of Leaves. Or almost anything by Gene Wolfe -- Torturer books, Latro books, etc.

These are all great examples, thanks!

What actually sparked the discussion is the person in question is writing an “experimental” fantasy novel for NaNoWriMo. What makes it “experimental?” It starts with a foreword from a fictional historian introducing the memoir-style narrative of a woman who experienced a fantasy adventure! (The fact that this is basically the exact format of the licenced WH40K “Ciaphas Cain Omnibus” he literally just read does not seem to deter him from his conviction).

When I tried to explain to him that this is actually a well-established fantasy convention, he became huffy and demanded more examples.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't Dune do something like that as well?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Applewhite posted:

These are all great examples, thanks!

What actually sparked the discussion is the person in question is writing an “experimental” fantasy novel for NaNoWriMo. What makes it “experimental?” It starts with a foreword from a fictional historian introducing the memoir-style narrative of a woman who experienced a fantasy adventure! (The fact that this is basically the exact format of the licenced WH40K “Ciaphas Cain Omnibus” he literally just read does not seem to deter him from his conviction).

When I tried to explain to him that this is actually a well-established fantasy convention, he became huffy and demanded more examples.

Aww, I don't want to discourage somebody from writing!

It's a good gimmick when done well!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why does it matter that it’s been done before? To you or to him?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I didn’t say it was a bad gimmick or even that it was a bad story. I just take issue with his insistence that his approach is “experimental.” I even told him that I thought his story was good.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It just pissed me off at how “groundbreaking” and “unusual” he bragged idea was and I’m like dude, it’s a fun story but have a realistic perception of what you’re doing. You’re not about to blow the lid off the fantasy genre here. Maybe with his narrative but certainly not with his format.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks for all the sci-fi recs folks. Currently listening tensely to Annihilation. Good stuff.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the guy who thinks he's being experimental by using a framing device is powerful

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Applewhite posted:

It just pissed me off at how “groundbreaking” and “unusual” he bragged idea was and I’m like dude, it’s a fun story but have a realistic perception of what you’re doing. You’re not about to blow the lid off the fantasy genre here. Maybe with his narrative but certainly not with his format.

In eighth grade in my small, Catholic middle school, my friend wrote a short story that he was insanely proud of that was the exactly the plot of the first Wing Commander computer game.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

counterpoint: all nanaowrimo attempts should be discouraged, by violence if necessary

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I do not discourage nanowrimo attempts

I discourage their publication

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Once all my moving around is concluded I intend to hop into NaNoWriMo myself. It’ll be roaring rollercoaster of a novel, crammed with sizzling Gypsies.

E: also I highly recommend the Lyonesse Trilogy to any fantasy lovers, to get the thread back on track.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do not discourage nanowrimo attempts

I discourage their publication

I don't mind them being published, provided the editor/publisher are actually good enough to pick out the good ones.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Once all my moving around is concluded I intend to hop into NaNoWriMo myself. It’ll be roaring rollercoaster of a novel, crammed with sizzling Gypsies.

I'm going to finally write that sequel to the Dictionary for NaNoWriMo.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't mind them being published, provided the editor/publisher are actually good enough to pick out the good ones.

lol

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

E: also I highly recommend the Lyonesse Trilogy to any fantasy lovers, to get the thread back on track.

The trilogy that starts by sexualizing children?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The trilogy that starts by sexualizing children?

Unfortunately there is some of that but that’s not why I recommend it. It’s a brilliant and beautiful series.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
That’s like if I recommended The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn and someone were like “oh that story where one of the main characters is literally named Ni***r Jim?”

Yeah Lyonesse has a lot of parts that will make any decent person squirm but I think it’s an important enough contribution to the fantasy genre that it’s worth enduring the gross stuff.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Applewhite posted:

That’s like if I recommended The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn and someone were like “oh that story where one of the main characters is literally named Ni***r Jim?”

it's actually not like that at all

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it's actually not like that at all

Dismissing an entire work of literature because it features a prominently distasteful aspect? I thought the analogy apt.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
8 year olds Dude.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Dismissing an entire work of literature because it features a prominently distasteful aspect? I thought the analogy apt.

It’s a bad hill to die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

learnincurve posted:

8 year olds Dude.

Yeah it’s not cool, it’s really regrettable. I’d make excuses for the time the book was written but it was written in the 80’s so the author definitely knew better.

The only thing I can offer is that the book is set in like the 5th century AD when those types of attitudes were more common so maybe Vance was trying to capture the attitude of the time.

I just sort of flip over those parts and focus on what is a really excellent and imaginative work.