Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bunch of naysaying Nancy’s itt

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

naem posted:

why is it always in a desert

hailthefish posted:

Probably because that's where there's tons of cheap land for sale.

And come on, how big of a problem could water possibly be anyway?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Risc1911 posted:

A Cryptocurrency Millionaire Wants to Build a Utopia in Nevada
A man spent millions on an enormous plot of land near Reno. Now he wants to build a community based on the blockchain technology introduced by Bitcoin.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1058097633586241540

This is going to be great tot watch!

There is no way they get water hooked up so they’re going to pay out of the rear end. Roads and garbage are also gonna be a huge issue.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All it makes me think of is that old SA thread about Arrakis or whatever those dumbshits who tried to homestead Texas desert land with nothing but like 3 gallons of water and a trunk full of twinkies.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
That smug goon that bought a bunch of desert 100 miles from nowhere in Texas planned to solve the water problem by taking advantage of the service that trucks it in for you, so i'm sure a group of self made crypto millionaires will be perfectly fine

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Risc1911 posted:

A man spent millions on an enormous plot of land near Reno. Now he wants to build a community based on the blockchain technology introduced by Bitcoin.

Goon version: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3123495

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
This reminds me of one of the older crypto scammers who wanted people on reddit to "invest" in his pot growing op in the california desert with chinese solar panels and stealing water from another county.

And when people tried to ask for proof/pictures of his setup, the most he offered were badly 3D modeled greenhouses.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Risc1911 posted:

It's both stunning and depressing that this guy has extracted over $300 million from the bagholders to fund this

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

naem posted:

why is it always in a desert

If you want to build a new civilization you need a spot where nobody is already living. A spot nobody wants to live. Generally that's going to be out in the wilderness somewhere. The desert. The jungle. The ocean. The mountains. The arctic.

Of the available uninhabited land the desert seems the easiest logistically. You build a store an have everything brought in. Who needs running water? It isn't like cryptonerds are planning on doing any gardening, right? Or bathing.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you want to build a new civilization you need a spot where nobody is already living. A spot nobody wants to live. Generally that's going to be out in the wilderness somewhere. The desert. The jungle. The ocean. The mountains. The arctic.

Of the available uninhabited land the desert seems the easiest logistically. You build a store an have everything brought in. Who needs running water? It isn't like cryptonerds are planning on doing any gardening, right? Or bathing.

Don’t forget West Virginia!

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Anyone remember the poster that was trying to get funding for a theatre to illegally broadcast tailspin movies?

I wanted to read some of the saga of the posts if anyone kept it!

Not to mention his need to buy only a 94 Ford Explorer, and the second life nokill pet shelter.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Viktor posted:

Anyone remember the poster that was trying to get funding for a theatre to illegally broadcast tailspin movies?

Not to mention his need to buy only a 94 Ford Explorer, and the second life nokill pet shelter.
The second life no kill shelter is what haunts me about that. Because it was literally computer cartoon rabbits which had only been created to reproduce exponentially.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Viktor posted:

Wasn't that Luke-jr?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Viktor posted:

Logansryche!

Full summary with links to forum posts:
http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/bitcoin-community-spotlight-logansryche/

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ah, I get some of these idiot confused sometimes.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Ah ha! Thanks so much

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Oh, man, I remember this guy. He is (or at least was) in love with the idea of being a small or medium-size business owner but he can't be bothered even to do "two minutes on Google" levels of research before going begging for funding. I remember seeing his name crop up on a failed Kickstarter to start a guitar pick company, and the comments made it obvious how out-of-his-depth he was.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bitcoin has been boring for 2 months now.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Charlie Shrem back in the news. Apparently he embezzled the winkleveiss boys, and has not paid restitution to the feds.

Bitcoin’s ‘First Felon’ Faces More Legal Trouble
https://nyti.ms/2yLK8t2?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really want to hear details if there are any

I'm p sure the dam master was what everyone wanted to be in Fallout New Vegas

It was just a snippet from this news article about Bitcoiners seeing backlash after flooding into Grant County Washington because they had the cheapest power in the country.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/bitcoin-backlash-as-miners-suck-up-electricity-stress-power-grids-in-central-washington/

Relevant quote:

quote:

But it’s not simply the scale of requests that is perplexing utility staff. Many would-be miners have no understanding of how large power purchases work. In one case this winter, miners from China landed their private jet at the local airport, drove a rental car to the visitor center at the Rocky Reach Dam, just north of Wenatchee, and, according to Chelan County PUD officials, politely asked to see the “dam master because we want to buy some electricity.”

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
lol when u remember all this power waste is just used to guess a really big rear end number

wit
Jul 26, 2011

This fake news format sales/snakeoil copy appeared in an ad on facebook. There are so many layers of funny in this to me.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

had a dream last night bitcoin was 1.4% red at $12260 and altcoins were 30% in the green :member: :pray:

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.financemagnates.com/cryptocurrency/coins/binance-supports-bitcoin-cash-fork-as-hash-war-escalates/

The Bitcoin fork is forking again :stare:

Are you ready for bitcoin cash cash? The really real Bitcoin (for real this time, we promise)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

hailthefish posted:

Probably because that's where there's tons of cheap land for sale.

Also it's much harder for people to actually see how badly you're loving up. It's like that fundamentalist Mormon compound.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

https://www.financemagnates.com/cryptocurrency/coins/binance-supports-bitcoin-cash-fork-as-hash-war-escalates/

The Bitcoin fork is forking again :stare:

Are you ready for bitcoin cash cash? The really real Bitcoin (for real this time, we promise)

I'm so tired of all these Bitcoin wars

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sounds like a great opportunity to execute some double spends.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
mods please change my username to "King of Chavs"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Illuminti posted:

It's both stunning and depressing that this guy has extracted over $300 million from the bagholders to fund this

if his dad isn't dead he is gonna be so pissed

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm not really astounded by the $300mil that he snookered out of people to pay $4500/acre for useless goddamn desert land. 21 miles long by 5 miles wide. 105 square miles. That's the part that's a little weird to me. Who the gently caress needs that much $500/acre land?

Crooks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm not really astounded by the $300mil that he snookered out of people to pay $4500/acre for useless goddamn desert land. 21 miles long by 5 miles wide. 105 square miles. That's the part that's a little weird to me. Who the gently caress needs that much $500/acre land?

Crooks.
If you covered that with solar panels I think you could run the country (when the sun is up, of course).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Nessus posted:

If you covered that with solar panels I think you could run the country (when the sun is up, of course).

Why would you use that much electricity for homes and businesses and transport when you could use it to MINE ALL THE BUTTS

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin ranch

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

ghosTTy posted:

had a dream last night bitcoin was 1.4% red at $12260 and altcoins were 30% in the green :member: :pray:

my dreams is from the future, april 2019 :hai:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the roof is blown off, the floorboards are rotten, and the foundation is cracked... no worries i'm sure this house will fix itself!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Tether released a letter from its shady offshore "financial group" stating that they have $1.8B in cash in their account (lol). The document was mysteriously modified (according to timestamps) before release. :thunk: I'm sure it's all legit though and they totally have all that money backing the tetherbucks.

quote:

It has been two weeks since tether, the "stablecoin" of choice for crypto day traders who need to quickly enter and exit positions in different alt coins, broke below its $1 peg to trade as low as 85 cents as long-simmering doubts about its dollar backing exploded back into view, stoked by rumors that several prominent exchanges were preparing to de-list it.

While tether has recovered, skepticism about the feasibility of tether, and "stablecoins" in general, has continued to fester, stoked by the fact that tether's parent company has never bothered to publish an audit of its holdings to prove to the public that it has the necessary dollar reserves to guarantee convertibility. Tether also found itself at the center of a separate controversy back in June when a University of Texas academic published a paper alleging that shady traders were using tether to manipulate the price of bitcoin.

In an effort to restore faith in tether, the company on Thursday published a letter from a Bahamanian bank affirming that the company has $1.8 billion in deposits sitting in an account offshore. But as several traders swiftly pointed out, the letter from Deltec Bank & Trust, which describes itself as "an independent financial services group", bore a few notable inconsistencies. For one, the PDF that tether made available for download featured inconsistent timestamps, suggesting that the document was 'modified' before being released to the public.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1058073309370347520

Another problem... the timestamps in the provided PDF are inconsistent, it was 'modified' before it was created.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1058053535370240000

Others pointed out that whoever wrote the letter didn't attach their name - only an incomprehensible signature, which is a serious red flag, as one trader pointed out on twitter.

https://twitter.com/lwsnbaker/status/1058048482886410240

Rather than quiet traders concerns, these inconsistencies could have the opposite effect. Particularly since the company fired its auditor a year ago. But for now, the price is holding steady.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-01/tether-says-it-has-18-billion-offshore-bank-account.

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
did anyone say "the coin that makes people go insane to buy more butts because big butts are the best coin, only to find out the biggest butt coin lied?"

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

That letter certainly does indemnify that bank in taipei from anything except that single statement it wrote

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

red sampson posted:

did anyone say "the coin that makes people go insane to buy more butts because big butts are the best coin, only to find out the biggest butt coin lied?"

I thought liking big butts meant you cannot lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you can still lie if you have a big butt but do not necessarily care for them yourself