Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Watching episode 2 of The Great Model Railway Challenge, and at the 6 minute mark it becomes extremely obvious why the "model train ghetto" concept exists... gently caress sake dude.

An old white guy is racist? Imagine my surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m set up in the utility room; is there a way to rig a vent through the dryer exhaust? Do they make non return valves in that size?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Midjack posted:

An old white guy is racist? Imagine my surprise.
Nah, just the attitude towards the hobby which takes it far more seriously than it deserves to be taken and puts off newbies.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Arquinsiel posted:

Watching episode 2 of The Great Model Railway Challenge, and at the 6 minute mark it becomes extremely obvious why the "model train ghetto" concept exists... gently caress sake dude.

What's the "model train ghetto" concept?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Did the model train ghetto concept even exist outside Gau needing people to sneer at on his blog?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Very nearly done with the Chieftains now. Two tank commanders to do then add some wire for the aerials.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

What's the "model train ghetto" concept?
It's where a new modeler goes into a model train store to get some non-standard flock or other modeling item, gets treated to an extended story about the owner's divorces and the worldwide Judeo-Masonic conspiracy, and leaves convinced that this hobby should be surrounded by high walls, barbed wire and armed guards for the good of general society.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The worst I've seen was an extensive selection of replica iron crosses. Maybe I just have a Judeo-Masonic vibe about me.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Pierzak posted:

It's where a new modeler goes into a model train store to get some non-standard flock or other modeling item, gets treated to an extended story about the owner's divorces and the worldwide Judeo-Masonic conspiracy, and leaves convinced that this hobby should be surrounded by high walls, barbed wire and armed guards for the good of general society.

I feel like I just stepped into a thread about the gun hobby.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Gewehr 43 posted:

I feel like I just stepped into a thread about the gun hobby.

Pretty much any niche hobby attracts these kinds of people.

Models, Guns, Audio Equipment, Tabletop Gaming, Antiques. . . but guns are definitely at the top of the list.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jonny Nox posted:

Oh good. It didn't seem shiny enough. I assume there's another gloss coat to go on?

Assuming you're talking to me, no gloss. Decals! Endless hordes of decals...

Here are the first nine as applied according to the dedicated decal instruction sheet:

Only a few dozen more to go.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Loxbourne posted:

Did the model train ghetto concept even exist outside Gau needing people to sneer at on his blog?
Yeah, it did. The local model shop has a dude in it that occasionally plays wargames with my group and he's ranked his customers by how likely they are to go off at him for some minor lack of knowledge or inaccuracy in a display. Train dudes are the worst for it, gunpla dudes the least.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

he's ranked his customers by how likely they are to go off at him for some minor lack of knowledge or inaccuracy in a display.
You can't just say that and not post the story, or at least the good bits.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There are no good bits, just gammon gammoning at a dude who doesn't care.

ETA: in that same shop I've had a dude decide that I needed to know exactly how much of the US wwii Pacific fleet he had built and which refits of each ship, ordered by scale, just because I was standing on the same aisle as the ship kits. He probably had issues though so it wasn't really funny so much as just slightly sad.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 26, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pierzak posted:

I feel vaguely reassured that these people apparently detect I'm not one of them, because I've never encountered this poo poo. :pwn:

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So you goons got me into something else. I used to enjoy building models ages ago, but I wasn't worth a poo poo at painting them.

Finally airbrushes came down to where I could get away with saying "Ah gently caress it" and kitting up.

Well, I've been working on my first model in probably 25 years, found an old Tamiya 1/700 Yamato waterline kit at the hobby shop for $20. Honestly for 20 bones this thing is pretty great. There's about 2 sprues left of little teensy airplane bits that I tried and failed to assemble, and about 900 more guns that the instructions don't even say where they go.

Tons of little flaws, but honestly I'm pretty pleased with it for my first effort in so long. Did I bit of a wash on the superstructure and guns when it was disassembled, haven't done any wash on the hull. Or any weathering, really.

I've definately learned gently caress 1/700 scale. At least for a giant battleship. So many of the parts were just hilariously tiny. Hand painting tiny details like the white blast bags on the guns...Nope.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Enos Shenk posted:

So you goons got me into something else. I used to enjoy building models ages ago, but I wasn't worth a poo poo at painting them.

Finally airbrushes came down to where I could get away with saying "Ah gently caress it" and kitting up.

Well, I've been working on my first model in probably 25 years, found an old Tamiya 1/700 Yamato waterline kit at the hobby shop for $20. Honestly for 20 bones this thing is pretty great. There's about 2 sprues left of little teensy airplane bits that I tried and failed to assemble, and about 900 more guns that the instructions don't even say where they go.

Tons of little flaws, but honestly I'm pretty pleased with it for my first effort in so long. Did I bit of a wash on the superstructure and guns when it was disassembled, haven't done any wash on the hull. Or any weathering, really.

I've definately learned gently caress 1/700 scale. At least for a giant battleship. So many of the parts were just hilariously tiny. Hand painting tiny details like the white blast bags on the guns...Nope.

That's a terrible Yamato kit.

Where's the Wave Motion Gun and Third Bridge? :goonsay:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My first water slide decals in fifteen years. Still need clear gloss applied, but man, I’d forgotten how I hated these things

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Finished that KV-2, probably going to stick a figure into it too.

Rest of photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/92KisHb

Pretty good kit. Zvezda's KV-1 was pretty solid, and the KV-2 is very good as well. I tried to use aftermarket kits from CMK and E.T. Models, but they were both meant for Trumpeter and didn't fit very well. As a result I only managed to get the toolbox handles and hinges from the ET and the barrel from CMK to fit. The metal barrel also unbalanced the gun, so I had to glue it in place. Normally it would elevate.

The interior is very sparse (gun breech, elevation mechanism, two MGs, and the periscopes, but you can't see most if it through the rather huge rear hatch anyway.

The link and length tracks were good, but the top sections didn't offer any sag at all. I was pretty disappointed by that part. Also disappointing was the rear stoplight: it was not made from clear plastic even though the front light was. Very weird design decision. Another weird decision was to include two "for the motherland" slogans even though no KV-2 ever carried those. The cables that come with the kit are strings, so I replaced them with picture hanging wire.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I love the KV-2. Yours looks great!

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I spent way too long making this today.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Right side decals are done on the bike. Got a couple more on the front fairing, then it's on to the left.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Started the masts on Bluenose recently and have been quietly plugging away at that. Will post pictures in the next couple of days; there is a lot of work to do on them and interpreting the plans is all kinds of entertaining but I'm having a bit of fun with it and learning a lot as I go.

Also, I got a callback this morning and found out that I have been offered a position at a firm that builds architectural models. I don't plan on doing it forever, but it's hard getting a job as a social worker in a city that seems to only hire MSWs when you've got a baccalaureate degree and so it will tide me over for now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That sounds great dude.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you can get into building models for shipyards and shipping companies, they pay ridiculous amounts for those.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

FrozenVent posted:

If you can get into building models for shipyards and shipping companies, they pay ridiculous amounts for those.

These guys don't do ships, but they do work on a lot of buildings and site plans... and Vancouver has a pretty hot real estate market.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I realised today that I've posted in here a few times but haven't posted the finished results of any of my kits.
After a long hiatus I started things off with a Tamiya impreza kit:

I learnt a lot doing this kit including photoetched seatbelts and working with large decals. I did most of them perfectly but one of the big yellow ones ended up with a tear as I attempted to push the decal too quickly without heating it up.

Next came another tamiya this time a Mclaren MP4/5B:

Apart from assembling a couple of things like the wings too early and paint bleed between the orange and the white I'm happy with how this one turned out.

Because I'm a masochistic arse I bought myself one of these kits today:

The plan at this stage is to assemble if as a series of sub assemblies so that I can get them painted and decaled properly before I assemble them. The hobby shop that I've been going to is shutting down which I found out today. It's a bit of a pain though as they've stopped restocking items so I missed out on a can of the yellow tamiya spray and a few bottles of x18 which I'll need for this model. Looks like I'm swithcing to online shopping from here on in.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Why are hobby stores so terrible at e-commerce? I get that paints and solvents are a pain in the rear end to ship, but poo poo like models, tools and photo etch should be easy.

And yet, here I am emailing the webmaster to create my account because their form doesn’t recognize “Canada” as a valid country.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I've yet to see an American model site where shipping to Canada isn't something ludicrous like 50% of the cost of the goods.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

elaborate, in-depth video on hobby nippers

From the gundam thread when somebody posted this thing on sale.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Wow, I have a name, you know

Also check out the airbrush maintenance video from the same channel. Its probably one of the better ones out there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWFoG5Inmw

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 2, 2018

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Dunno if this fits here but I thought you might like it. I bought a very beat up and rusty Tonka truck at a flea Market .I just started working at a place that does graphics and the owner has a side sandblasting business. I took apart the truck and he had it powder blasted. Then I painted it. Then I made some decals over several breaks. This is how it looks. Right now my son is two and doesn't quit get it (He likes playing in the sink and taking things in and out of the trash can) but I hope when he's older he'll like it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

You're a good father.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Symetrique posted:

Wow, I have a name, you know

Also check out the airbrush maintenance video from the same channel. Its probably one of the better ones out there

Thanks for posting, this is real good. Wish I had known some of those things when I first got my airbrush.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’m really liking this rb6 so far although the position of a lot of the pin marks is a pain cause they tend to be on the backs of wing pieces that will be super visible once assembled. The only main hold back I can see so far is that I’m just about out of semi gloss black which is an issue because I need shitloads of it to get it done and it’s the main color used outside of the body color.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi thread, someone else asked before about cyrillic alphabet decals and I would also like to know if anyone knows where to get them. EBay is no help and I've only been able to find sets of tank slogans.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Can you print out your own? I know Hobby Lobby has the kit for doing at home decals, I don't know how good it is or if you have access to one.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Darth Brooks posted:

Can you print out your own? I know Hobby Lobby has the kit for doing at home decals, I don't know how good it is or if you have access to one.

Unfortunately not, I'm after white ink on transparent.
It was a last ditch search before heading the custom order route.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Blistex posted:

Pretty much any niche hobby attracts these kinds of people.

Models, Guns, Audio Equipment, Tabletop Gaming, Antiques. . . but guns are definitely at the top of the list.

I dunno, don't go to a Lego convention and mention Lepin. If you manage to survive it will be just barely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

I dunno, don't go to a Lego convention and mention Lepin. If you manage to survive it will be just barely.
Holy poo poo. It's like people are incapable of saying "it's a bad knock-off, don't buy it" without an hour's worth of verbal diarrhea.