Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Some Blue Jays from yesterday

Blue Jay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

And some from today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Merganser and babies from a canoe trip in July/August, northwestern Ontario.
Mom and Baby Mergansers-0006 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mom and Baby Mergansers-0010 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mom and Baby Mergansers-0014 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Couple of birds

kaka by Marc, on Flickr

Popokatea, the whitehead by Marc, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Some wonderful birds recently!

Raikyn posted:

kaka by Marc, on Flickr

I love how doofy parrots sometimes look.

A Mountain Chickadee. This little bird was pretty fearless. It hopped rapidly between branches and flew to a branch within arm's reach of me. I guess when you're looking for food, you get a little more brave.

A fledgling Lesser Goldfinch (?). This little bird was so tiny that I was a little worried about it. It could only flutter a foot or two into the air, and it chirped rather pathetically. I think one of the parents was hanging around nearby, keeping an eye on it, though, so I didn't stick around.

I suspected this that was one of the parents to the fledgling above.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I went out to the local eco-sanctuary and took some photos of some beautiful birds! I've only just gotten into photography as a hobby, mostly so I can get more good bird pictures.

Lunchtime by Dave Ross, on Flickr

A Handsome Boy by Dave Ross, on Flickr

"What do you want?" by Dave Ross, on Flickr

C R O N C H by Dave Ross, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

That's a good grumpy bird.

I want to take bird pics but 1) there are only pidgeons and tree sparrows here unless I go way into the jungle 2) I've been looking at too many isheep and smersh mouth photos

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Atlatl posted:

That's a good grumpy bird.

I want to take bird pics but 1) there are only pidgeons and tree sparrows here unless I go way into the jungle 2) I've been looking at too many isheep and smersh mouth photos

don't knock the pretty sparrows

HOSP by ms, on Flickr

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Passes to Zealandia are valid for two days, so I went back again this morning.

But why is it all gone? by Dave Ross, on Flickr
This dude is throwing a tantrum because his feeder bottle is empty, while ignoring the full one right next to him.

Cormorant by Dave Ross, on Flickr

Rest by Dave Ross, on Flickr

Kākā are one of my favourite birds. Such big ol goofy parrots.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

cptn_dr posted:

I went out to the local eco-sanctuary and took some photos of some beautiful birds! I've only just gotten into photography as a hobby, mostly so I can get more good bird pictures.

:: NZ birbs ::

Tui and takahe are such rad birbs. I live in Auckland, and there are a fair few tui flying around the neighbourhood, making an adorable birb racket. There aren't any takahe nearby, but there are some on Tiritiri Matangi Island, which is about a couple hours away by ferry.

If you want to see kaka in the wild, Great Barrier Island is rad. They're just all over the place there.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Passes to Zealandia are valid for two days, so I went back again this morning.

Kākā are one of my favourite birds. Such big ol goofy parrots.

NZ bird thread?
Can you take any gear into Zealandia? Haven't been there yet, but hopefully will over the christmas break

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I like my bluebirds. This is daddy feeding a really big juvenile.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Raikyn posted:

NZ bird thread?
Can you take any gear into Zealandia? Haven't been there yet, but hopefully will over the christmas break

Yep, don't think there's any restrictions on taking gear in. Saw a few people rocking some gently caress-off telephoto lenses, at least.

meatpimp posted:

I like your bluebirds too!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

American Robin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

American Robin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

House Finch by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Cool! I haven’t seen any robins around where i live in Kalamazoo for a few months now it seems. Where were these that?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I'm in Edmonton, it's migration season up here now, was hoping for pine grosbeaks or waxwings, but may still be a bit too early for them

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

A tui decided to visit our backyard

Tui by Marc, on Flickr

Tui by Marc, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Raikyn posted:

Tui by Marc, on Flickr

Tui by Marc, on Flickr

these are awesome

very nice

quote:

The bird looks great in this one, but I'm wondering if you can crop it to remove some of the space on the right or add more space to the left?

Haven't had time to take many new photos, but here's a couple of old ones I re-edited...

Toolik Ptarmigan snow oct18 Reprocessed logo-1805 by Alan Krakauer, on Flickr

Toolik White-crowns in snow Reprocessed logo-1860 by Alan Krakauer, on Flickr

Toolik Ptarmigan fall colors Reprocess logo-914 by Alan Krakauer, on Flickr

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Visited the Bolsa Chica Ecological Conservatory this past Saturday. We went before sunrise and saw some pretty awesome birds first waking up.

I haven't had a chance to edit these yet, but I wanted to share either way. All shot on my Nikon D3400 using my 70-300mm lens. I was in Aperture Priority mode, mostly as open as possible so that I could get enough light. It was pretty dark there first thing.

Not a bird, but they're exceedingly rare to see in the wetlands, so here is a Sea Turtle:

Edit: - My buddy touched a couple of them up for me. Here are my favorites:

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 5, 2018

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The bird looks great in this one, but I'm wondering if you can crop it to remove some of the space on the right or add more space to the left?

Thanks yeah that's good feedback, I had tried with more space on the left, but there were branches that I couldn't edit out all that well without the background looking pretty obviously edited, will try to give it another shot later

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Raikyn posted:

What a cute birb. Whereabouts in NZ are you?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

neckbeard posted:

Thanks yeah that's good feedback, I had tried with more space on the left, but there were branches that I couldn't edit out all that well without the background looking pretty obviously edited, will try to give it another shot later

That's what I figured. After I wrote that I kind of regretted saying that. It's not something I think about enough, but it's super useful to have photos with more background than you think you need if you do anything with text overlay. I'm thinking about powerpoint backgrounds but could also apply to cover photos where you know where the profile photo sits, etc.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I really like that sea turtle. How salty is the water there?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

I really like that sea turtle. How salty is the water there?

You know, i'm not sure. It's definitely brackish because it gets some of it's water from the Pacific (there's a channel that directly connects to the wetlands) and some of the water comes from a flood control channel that's inland.

I'm assuming it's more salty than not since it rarely ever rains here. But that's just a guess.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

From this morning, light was a bit crap

Snow Bunting by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Snow Bunting by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

meatpimp posted:

How sweet!

I went down to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix yesterday. Good birds there, and some let you get a little closer than normal, probably because they like the plants so much.

Here's a lifer for me: a Verdin.

A Cactus Wren.

A Curve-billed Thrasher. He was putting on a wonderful concert, and a group of five or so of us watched him sing from about ten feet away.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Short Eared Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Good grief, I am always so jealous of your short eared owl shots. Beautiful.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Good grief, I am always so jealous of your short eared owl shots. Beautiful.

Thanks, but I think you're mistaken, I'm the guy in Edmonton that usually posts falcons, Internet Junky is the guy in Edmonton that usually posts owls

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

neckbeard posted:

Thanks, but I think you're mistaken, I'm the guy in Edmonton that usually posts falcons, Internet Junky is the guy in Edmonton that usually posts owls

These are rad as hell. The colors are out of sight.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Yeah, those are some great pics. What time of day?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

neckbeard posted:

Still, those are excellent.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

President Beep posted:

Yeah, those are some great pics. What time of day?

Between 3 and 4pm

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: whoops, wrong photo, will correct

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 15, 2018

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Neckbeard that last shot is so drat pretty.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Moved back home to live with my family for the summer, was greeted by this fluffy kotare (and his proud parents, who I hope to take many more pictures of).

Fluffy Boy by Dave Ross, on Flickr

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I’m soliciting advice again, since I didn’t pull the trigger on a lens last summer. I have a Nikon D500, and am trying to decide between the Sigma (C or Sport) and Tamron 150-600mm lenses, and the Nikon 200-500mm.

I’ve been reading reviews and there doesn’t seem to be a consensus as far as I can tell.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I have both the gen1 Tamron and the Nikon 200-500 and there is no reason for me to ever use the Tamron except as a backup or if a friend is going birding with me. (my primary camera body is a D500 with a D7200 as a backup/loaner)

I have heard good things about the Sigma Sport but AFAIK the Nikon will still be sharper wide open.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Kenshin posted:

I have both the gen1 Tamron and the Nikon 200-500 and there is no reason for me to ever use the Tamron except as a backup or if a friend is going birding with me. (my primary camera body is a D500 with a D7200 as a backup/loaner)

I have heard good things about the Sigma Sport but AFAIK the Nikon will still be sharper wide open.

Thanks, do you know if the Nikon has the same copy to copy variations that I’ve heard about for the Tamron?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

EPICAC posted:

Thanks, do you know if the Nikon has the same copy to copy variations that I’ve heard about for the Tamron?
No idea, but anecdotally I've never met someone with the 200-500 that hasn't loved it.

The individual lens I have works great, very sharp wide-open at f/5.6 @ 500mm, guaranteed-super-sharp-every-time at f/6.3.

The Tamron G1 really needs to be shot at f/8 to be reliably sharp at 600mm (at least the individual lens I have) though it can occasionally get by at f/7.1. I've heard the Sigma and Tamron G2 models are better than that, but still they can't get as wide open as the Nikon, regardless. The Nikon also supposedly pairs very well with the 1.4x extender (specifically the newer TC-14 III model) on the D500, which I plan on picking up at some point.

EDIT: As for 500mm vs 600mm, I thought I'd miss the extra reach and I never have. I will take the better image quality and fast autofocus over that little bit of extra reach.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I started out with the first gen Tamron. Sent it back because it seemed oddly soft. Purchased a Sigma C 150-600 after that. I’ve been pretty happy with that lens.