Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tenderjerk posted:

how does one topcoat over acrylics? Is it even possible to do this without your paint bleeding all over the place?

Let it cure. Overnight has been good enough for my work with Tamiya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

tenderjerk posted:

how does one topcoat over acrylics? Is it even possible to do this without your paint bleeding all over the place?
As mentioned above, let it cure. Once the top coat is on, it'll have a much harder time releasing that last bit of moisture.

Make sure you're using a compatible top coat. Though nothing immediately comes to mind, its possible some can eat the acrylic binder.

They can be air brushed and usually hand brushed or come in a can. Use thin coats etc. Cans usually have more precise instructions.

See also, the OP of the mini painting thread, which I thought this was until I went to check for references.

e: Never forget though, it can mess up gunpla pens. Here's an example of me learning the hard way, left is Testor's gloss coat, center is naked, right is Testor's matte coat. All spray cans. The bleeding on the left happened after the top coat. (The mistakes on the right are by my hand)

Left and right also have acrylic paint for eyes and in the ears.

Serenade fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 6, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

tenderjerk posted:

If you look around scale models, you can find discussions on how "hot" a paint is, IE what paints can go over what paints. Acrylics don't handle other paint types over them very well, but have no problems above other paint types.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look at this ugly motherfucker.

Look at him! Spring 2019!

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Taintrunner posted:

The only thing ugly about this is the release date.:colbert:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Taintrunner posted:

You shut your goddamn mouth.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Re paint chat:

Though certain paints can eat away different compositions, you can apply them (and you should) if you go nice and light and slow. If you blast a hotter paint onto a colder paint it's definitely going to eat through.

Lacquer being the hottest of the main paints, is a great top coat if you take your time with it.

It dries hard as a rock and when you use enamel over it for washes and panel linings you can not worry about enamel thinner on clean up affecting the lacquer paint.

Saying that though if your not painting but are panel lining I'd be hesitant to use a lacquer top coat for fear of it dissolving or affecting un-primed and painted parts.

At the end of the day, there's no real straightforward way when painting. It all depends on what your actually doing and adjusting to suit your needs.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Picked up some of the cheapest kits I could find on USA Gundam, and the barbatos :getin:

These petitguys have gotten my partner into building too. She's not a nerd at all but you can't deny their cuteness.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

goodness posted:

Picked up some of the cheapest kits I could find on USA Gundam, and the barbatos :getin:

These petitguys have gotten my partner into building too. She's not a nerd at all but you can't deny their cuteness.

Not to discourage your purchases but those non-grades were not a good idea. :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

goodness posted:

Now get her a full-on BearGguy :v:.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

goodness posted:

Hell yeah

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
anyone have any info on a company named 13/B Specters? Apparently they made a Radiant Silvergun kit that looks dope as hell but I cant find anything else on them

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

RillAkBea posted:

Not to discourage your purchases but those non-grades were not a good idea. :ohdear:

I put the pink zaku and zaku slash together. Awful poseability but everything fit together well and it was still fun for a half hour each. I can appreciate the advances of the newer models a lot more.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now get her a full-on BearGguy :v:.

Added to the next order :shepspends:

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 7, 2018

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Kuvo posted:

anyone have any info on a company named 13/B Specters? Apparently they made a Radiant Silvergun kit that looks dope as hell but I cant find anything else on them

I don't know but their R-Type model is awesome.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 7, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kuvo posted:

According to the instruction manuals on the site, they're garage kits. So, that means small numbers, probably all resin, often only sold at swap meets and probably cost in the hundreds of dollars.

Edit: Found a couple of their kits on Yahoo Auctions and while they're not that expensive as far as resin kits go (80ish?) it does appear that they only sell them at swap meets.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 7, 2018

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Throwing a PSA out here that Games Workshop's Gloss Nuln Oil ink is utterly amazing for panel lining, assuming you're good at steady hand painting. I doubt I'll ever pen a model ever again.

Exia build is almost done, just got the armour/weapon parts to topcoat and construct. Photos in a day or two hopefully.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Xaerael posted:

Throwing a PSA out here that Games Workshop's Gloss Nuln Oil ink is utterly amazing for panel lining, assuming you're good at steady hand painting. I doubt I'll ever pen a model ever again.

Exia build is almost done, just got the armour/weapon parts to topcoat and construct. Photos in a day or two hopefully.

Straight on the plastic or after painting?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Straight on the plastic or after painting?

After painting, but I can do a test on straight plastic.

e.

Brushed straight to the plastic, hair-dryered, then cleaned up with alcohol based thinner.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 7, 2018

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Is nuln oil different from a basic wash?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Gundam Planet has the P-Bandai Space Leo in stock now if anyone is still looking for one.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Is nuln oil different from a basic wash?

GW only grinds the finest nulns for it's washes, the purity is unmatched.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I have been putting it off for a long time but it is time for me to start painting. I’m specifically look to start hand painting but am actually having a hard time finding good guides on how to get started. Everyone mostly seems to be interested in showing off their “one weird trick” and covering only the tiniest part of the process. Can anyone give some good recommendations on good entry level hand painting tutorials or guides?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sam Sanskrit posted:

I have been putting it off for a long time but it is time for me to start painting. I’m specifically look to start hand painting but am actually having a hard time finding good guides on how to get started. Everyone mostly seems to be interested in showing off their “one weird trick” and covering only the tiniest part of the process. Can anyone give some good recommendations on good entry level hand painting tutorials or guides?

Warhammer TV has a ton of great step-by-step guides to hand painting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCybi5r71RE

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Sam Sanskrit posted:

I've started hand painting parts too. This is what I've learned.

1) if you're unsure if a color will stick to part. Try painting the gate that part came from. It's saved me from loving up a number of kits.

2) make sure to get different brush types. No matter how good I get a thin brush is never going to give a nice even coat on a shield. While a wide flat brush makes it look loads better.

3) get comfortable wasting paint. Trying to make a little bit last only Cascades into have to go over it again and it looking uneven.

4) invest in a magnifying glass.

5) put some thought into which parts get painted first. Just think about how hard or easy it is to cover up a mistake painting wires green first or if it's easier to detail some gold on the Piston next to it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Also, multiple thin coats, is the most valuable lesson I picked up from warhams.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Sam Sanskrit posted:

http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide

Has some great information on everything including paints.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Tough kit to make, totally worth it.

I'm getting a new lens for my DSLR in the next few days, so I'll do some posher photos then.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Nice paint job. That kits my favourite build I've done so far.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Puddin posted:

Nice paint job. That kits my favourite build I've done so far.

Cheers! It's by far my best paint job to date on a Gunpla.

Upgrading my airbrush really made a massive difference. I regret not doing it years ago.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
What did you get? My cheap as chips one has been doing me fine since I started and am in the mind for an upgrade.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. The control on it is amazing, and it literally never clogged throughout the whole project.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ANAmal.net posted:

Also, multiple thin coats, is the most valuable lesson I picked up from warhams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. The control on it is amazing, and it literally never clogged throughout the whole project.

What types of paints did you use? My Paasche Talon is a good AB but it gets acrylic tip dry like a motherfucker. It'd be nice to not have to worry about that.

re: hand painting, never don't use primer. Primer makes everything work and stick and level out just that much better.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I used the new Vallejo Mecha paints, which are pretty amazing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Xaerael posted:

Same airbrush I use, can confirm that's it's really good.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Awesome thanks guys will look into it!

Vallejo Mecha line is amazing. It's so easy to work with.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/_fanfanny_/status/1060137359931371520?s=19

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Puddin posted:

Awesome thanks guys will look into it!

Vallejo Mecha line is amazing. It's so easy to work with.

Check out the Mr Hobby/GSI Creos airbrushes if you're looking for an Iwata airbrush and trying to save a few bucks.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

New lens finally arrived, so here's a much better photo!

And another with a bit of dramatic lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
drat that’s extremely cool