Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, I totally get and agree with what you are saying, but keep in mind whatever job you do that has higher pay also gives you higher leverage. As in, it’s easier to blackball someone in a lower income job, they’re more replaceable than you are, even with the current decent economy.

Some of it is you need to develop more of a spine in retail, but whether legal or not, it’s easier to put more poo poo on the bottom workers.

It's more than that though, it's bottom workers exploiting the bottom worker among them who they've realized cannot bring herself to say 'no' to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I answer the phone just to tell them no, and then listen to the disappointment in their voice for half a second before they immediately switch back to being chipper.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah I don't mind answering the phone for my job since they rarely actually push me to come in, with the exception of an actual emergency. If you're gonna answer the phone just say you can't because you're busy. Don't give them something to argue about.

Also I don't respond to group texts, and very few of my coworkers have my phone number

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pretty lucky though, because I work at a place with around a hundred employees in our department alone, and pretty much all the managers have no problems with hopping on to help with rushes if we have to.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I was getting calls from my front end supervisor to come in to cover people but then I found their masterlist of employee phone numbers and blacked mine out with a marker.

They can still find it in my employee record or whatever but i don't think the FES has access to that.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Coworker: If we get a certain semi-rough task done, the boss said we get a pizza party!

Same Coworker: Proceeds to sabotage every attempt at doing said task to the point of getting written up, then has a nervous break down because of it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I'm thinking said employee was promised their own private pizza party if they made everyone else fail.

I hope you took that as an excuse to say the best line. "This is why we can't have nice things." While gesturing to your coworker.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Pizza parties are how they pay you less loving money.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

areyoucontagious posted:

Pizza parties are how they pay you less loving money.

And its always loving little caesars

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I do not want the pizza party, I can buy my own pizza, that, and living and plastic garbage that fills the hole in my soul. I just find it hilarious that the person who wants it the most, is the one keeping us from getting it.

Finding it less hilarious that the same co-worker is claiming I told her and her claims to be ex-military, ex-con (for murder), member of a violent white supremist that I "have a crush on her," and apparently he wants me to get fired so he can attack me. I have called HR, but I really do not want to go into work anymore.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The store manager that's been at my store for three years went on maternity leave last month. Her interim replacement is doing an amazing job at getting people quit. So far three team leads who have been at this store for six years have quit because she's on this trip about how she needs proof that she can trust everyone in the store to do their job.

Hello November retail!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It's amazing how consistently managers use their authority in stupid ways that ends up creating more work for themselves.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just got my schedule for Thanksgiving week

I'm off on Black Friday.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

I'm off on Black Friday.

Wow! How'd you get a schedule this early?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Kilonum posted:

I'm off on Black Friday.

Hey, killing that goat and offering it to the Blood God paid off!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kilonum posted:

I'm off on Black Friday.

Please do us all a favor, pretty pretty please, and don't answer your loving phone that entire week. :pray:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I work at an auto parts store. Black friday basically doesn't exist for us. :smug:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

dovetaile posted:

Wow! How'd you get a schedule this early?

Boss posts them every Monday, 2 weeks out.

I also know why I have it off. As I mentioned before, I'm limited on the number of hours I can work in a week (20). So my boss gives me straight up 3 6.5 hour shifts. I am also the only one available to close on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and one of only 2 people available to close on Saturdays. Our standard complement in my department on Saturdays is an opener (8-4 for a 9am open), Mid (generally 11-6), and a closer (3-10, 9pm is store close). So my boss had to choose: have literally one person have Black Friday off (in a department that sees practically no action that day other than as the online order pickup), or be a person short on Saturday (as the only other person available for Saturday close normally works the mid that day), when all the online christmas card orders come flooding in.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Please do us all a favor, pretty pretty please, and don't answer your loving phone that entire week. :pray:

More than likely I'm going to be at my aunt's in NH for thanksgiving and if so, taking a 1pm train back on Friday. So even if they call me in on Friday, earliest I can get there is... 5:30pm (as I have to transfer to a commuter train in Boston and then walk 2 miles from the nearest train station)

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 6, 2018

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Elmnt80 posted:

I work at an auto parts store. Black friday basically doesn't exist for us. :smug:

Whatever you say, bloodbag.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Had an old man follow me into the back of the store today. Just... followed me in. Deep in, too, like thirty feet deep. He actually startled me when I turned around and found him there, not talking. Waiting. Looming. He was tall, but withered, looking kinda like a green bean left out in the sun.

No hello or anything. Just straight into, "Do you have any southwest style eggbeaters?"

I took a moment to process. I had thrown away a lot of them the night previous, but I couldn't recall having ever seen any. I said, "If there aren't any on the shelf, we probably don't have them..." but I'd been wrong about things like this before. So I went out, and he followed, silently. And I looked at the shelf. Not even a tag for them.

"No, ah, we don't any on the shelf. Not even a space for them. We don't sell those."

"Well, maybe in the back..."

Ah, yeah, of course, the back, where we keep all the poo poo we don't sell at this store.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

Whatever you say, bloodbag.

We run a weekend long sale, its still slow as balls. I'll take it every time over the experience I had working at a retail electronics store on black friday.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My store manager just got back from two weeks leave and is trying to crack the whip on a bunch of stuff, even though we've already been working flat out the entire time he's been gone.

He also told me with a straight face that next week he's going to give a bunch of extra hours to nightfill 'to help me out' (instead of offering me any extra hours).

Joke's on him though, because the startup business I've been working on did incredibly well last month, so I'm probably going to invest my energy in that and not into cleaning up the mess his hand-picked team of slackers is creating.

Should have given me the extra hours I wanted so I didn't have time to invest them elsewhere :shrug:

HazCat fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 7, 2018

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

My saga continues

Department sup is starting his paternity leave earlier than expected (tomorrow, depending on medical stuff labor is being induced tomorrow or Monday)

Meanwhile, the sup who is coming in from another store to cover for him won't be available to cover for him Friday, so my Saturday closing shift is getting changed to a Friday mid.

Good news is, I put in my time off request for PAX East yesterday. Two weeks paid vacation.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

love to get yelled at on the phone until I start shaking because some loving lady deleted all her emails and lost her receipt and is incapable of navigating a website and that's somehow our fault she spent $300 and wants a full refund

and then have my manager be like 'sure! we'll give you a refund!'

love to get called in because two other people including the other supervisor called out

love to get paid less than the perpetually late/not-showing-up supervisor

nothing ruins my day more than lovely awful people treating me like poo poo because of their own stupid bullshit

this is why I'm not taking a manager position. I can't handle dealing with people like this.

e: yes I know that's how retail is and I 'need to grow a thicker skin' whatever

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Ah, yeah, of course, the back, where we keep all the poo poo we don't sell at this store.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Just found out my store manager got poached by another company and is leaving in two weeks :)

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

The Snoo posted:

e: yes I know that's how retail is and I 'need to grow a thicker skin' whatever

Nope. People need to not be so lovely to people helping them. Being numb definitely helps though.

Also helpful is treating lovely customers as poorly as you can get away with lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just remember, those corporate mandates of upselling and stuff? Customers hate it, so be sure to do it and give them your biggest poo poo eating grin possible. Remember, it isn't following corporate, its being spiteful.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Leal posted:

Just remember, those corporate mandates of upselling and stuff? Customers hate it, so be sure to do it and give them your biggest poo poo eating grin possible. Remember, it isn't following corporate, its being spiteful.

You will basically never get in trouble for trying too hard to sell something.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Like, five managers all left in the middle of work because they all play Pokemon Go and a Giratina showed up in the hotel.

I'm not even mad, that's just hilarious to me.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Roth posted:

Like, five managers all left in the middle of work because they all play Pokemon Go and a Giratina showed up in the hotel.

I'm not even mad, that's just hilarious to me.
I love this so much. :allears:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

therobit posted:

You will basically never get in trouble for trying too hard to sell something.

I got a zero on a survey for upselling.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:psyduck:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Zenithe posted:

The perfect Catch 22 with that one. Ask your manager if he would prefer you didn't upsell I guess. Back when I worked in a rental car place, I had customers yell at me and walk out because they did not like that I was hard selling them on rental car insurance, and my manager was like "You can never sell too hard. If anything you should have gone harder."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm saving that post for the next time someone asks me if they should buy rental car insurance

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
We've installed gates leading to the back and side of the store. For some reason people love to go around the back of the building, the only difference is turning left later then usual, there is no reason to drive around the store. Today I had 2 people try to drive around the back, like a minute apart. One gate was opened, but the other was closed so they had to flip a U turn and go the right way. The gates have signs saying "no trespassing". The second guy didn't appreciate it and gave me the finger as he drove back out.

Another coworker told me someone actually stopped their vehicle and peeked into our loading bay and tried to get someone to unlock the other gate for her. And called him a rude mother fucker when he refused and told her the signs say no trespassing, and it'd be pointless to have the gates there if we just opened them for people to use the back of the store as a bypass.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zenithe posted:

I get this from time to time. Management really can’t complain about it so I never hear about it.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I managed to get black friday and that saturday off :smuggo:

edit: and i get paid that friday so I'm gonna be sitting snugly on my couch, curtains drawn. online shopping, babes

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 9, 2018

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Don't have to deal with the boyfriend of my coworker anymore, turns out he's now on the run from the cops for beating someone up with a crowbar, which they found in my coworker's car.

Also, I don't have to deal with it, because I'm night crew, but my store is open earlier on Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pentaghastly posted:

I managed to get black friday and that saturday off :smuggo:

edit: and i get paid that friday so I'm gonna be sitting snugly on my couch, curtains drawn. online shopping, babes

I really sincerely hope I’m wrong and you don’t answer your phone this time because you deserve a holiday weekend off... but it seems like smart money to bet that you will end up working that Friday and Saturday anyway. I mean you KNOW people are going to call off, right?