Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kild posted:

not sure accelerated natural healing can fix being melted or suffocating

It builds character.

I think it would be hilarious if Recovery Girl got fed up with how reckless these kids are and refused to heal them for a month or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
When did everyone in this thread turn into a loving dad, this arc rules. Sorry the kids aren't all wearing kneepads and looking both ways when crossing the street.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Nothing less than a decapitation will sate this threads lust for blood.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The arc comes to a head when Uraraka overdoes the basics of CQC and snaps somebodys neck

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I hope midoriya gets criticized for not powdering every bone in his and his opponents' bodies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember UA is allowed to go a bit overboard because of Recovery Girl.

Recovery Girl has been like the most consistent voice when it comes to complaining about people at UA being loving morons about safety.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I hope class b (and probably bakugo) get a bad grade for causing excessive collateral damage and or estimated civilian casualties.

"The real purpose of this exercise was to build an estimate of how much you would have to pay in insurance premiums in order to be a hero..."

Like an insurance agent is there and tells them how many billions worth of damage they just caused and how long that would take to pay back on the average hero salary.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Indiana_Krom posted:

I hope class b (and probably bakugo) get a bad grade for causing excessive collateral damage and or estimated civilian casualties.

"The real purpose of this exercise was to build an estimate of how much you would have to pay in insurance premiums in order to be a hero..."

Like an insurance agent is there and tells them how many billions worth of damage they just caused and how long that would take to pay back on the average hero salary.
That would actually be hilarious.

"Okay, your grade is 10% the outcome, 20% your teamwork and strategy, and 70% of the grade is based on how little property destruction you did. Incidentally, most of you have failed."

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

thanks to your performance today you're all sitting in on an extra PSA titled THINGS NOT TO DO IN A FIGHT

1) try to melt someone
2) drop a tower on someone

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stexils posted:

thanks to your performance today you're all sitting in on an extra PSA titled THINGS NOT TO DO IN A FIGHT

1) try to melt someone
2) drop a tower on someone

"Question: Does this still apply if it would be loving rad?"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The last team will pass just based on the fact that there will be nothing left to destroy.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

I would love that, especially after all the bits about Mt Lady constantly being in the red cause she wrecks more then she earns.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
"We prepared a big abandoned city for this exercise, but due to the events of fights #1-4, the final fight will be taking place in the UA Memorial Crater."

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Indiana_Krom posted:

A reveal like this would make this arc retroactively unironically great.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Hey guys the new Vigilantes chapter was pretty good right??

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Davinci posted:

Hey guys the new Vigilantes chapter was pretty good right??

It is! I loved Koichi trying to buddy up to Aizawa at the end. The mystery villain is pretty cool too.

Here's the link for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

Rhonne posted:

New Vigilantes!

Koichi and Aizawa: Best Friends Forever!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i like vigilantes but the staggered release schedule means that every issue i forget some aspect of what's going on, in this case how the villian's quirk works.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kanos posted:

I would think having to draw big bombastic battle panels every week would be more draining and exhausting than a more muted, plot-heavy arc.

I think after a certain point as an artist it's easier to hammer out these on autopilot, especially with assistants for backgrounds and such, than it is to plan out a meticulous and cerebrally complex fight or a beefy chunk of character development and plot advancement.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Stexils posted:

i like vigilantes but the staggered release schedule means that every issue i forget some aspect of what's going on, in this case how the villian's quirk works.

it's timestop, basically. and i guess he's really strong too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cops in training already using excessive force, more news at 11.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

season 4 is gonna have some sick fights

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

R.I.P Stan Lee, the creator of All Might

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hopefully they pre-filmed his cameo for the next movie.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scholtz posted:

R.I.P Stan Lee, the creator of All Might

I just heard about this myself. Man. At least 95 is a pretty good run.

On the topic of MHA, I'm not as bothered by the fights themselves and stuff, even if they're not as good as past stuff or amazingly plot-relevant. Two things do bother/annoy me, though.

First, as before, the "go all out and loving murder your opponent if you have to" attitude that keeps getting shown in this arc is still really dumb, and feels contradictory with past stuff regarding Deku not annihilating himself, teachers being told off when fights and lessons got too dangerous, and so on. It's silly and out-of-place; if it were just the former, that'd be one thing, but MHA used to have a different approach to this stuff so it feels exceptionally off.

Second, despite this being hero training, these kids are being exceptionally lovely heroes. Heroes don't actually treat training exercises with innocent people, fellow heroes, as life-or-death situations where they need to be making the opponent face the "or death" half of that. Heroes don't try to melt people alive, even if those people are also "villains", since the excuse that's been used here is that they were told to treat the other team as such. Heroes don't drop buildings on people because they're upset about loving up. This ties into the above as well, really; if this is the kind of attitude UA is trying to encourage in its students, it's going to make some terrible heroes. At best you're going to get a lot of old!Endeavors, people who are good at heroics despite being assholes who don't care about any of the important reasons to be a hero. I really hope this gets called out; Iida, and also arguably Ojiro, Tsunotori, and Shoji since they were planning to go help their partners despite the danger after resolving their current fight, are the only ones acting like actual heroes here, and Iida's the only one of those who made it to "the end" before getting squashed by decidedly unheroic overkill so the other three's grades/assessments might not be stellar either.

(New theory: Vlad King is the traitor in the school, and when not passing information to the VA he's advancing their cause by trying to get his students to murder their classmates and each other.)

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Roland Jones posted:

(New theory: Vlad King is the traitor in the school, and when not passing information to the VA he's advancing their cause by trying to get his students to murder their classmates and each other.)

There was a beat in the anime during the training camp arc that made this seem like that's exactly what they're going for. Or at least it's what they want us to think :tinfoil:

But yeah, Vlad King doesn't seem like a very good teacher anyway. Kind of the meathead jock archetype who prioritizes winning over sportsmanship.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The Coach McGuirk of UA

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Roland Jones posted:

On one hand, the traitor being a teacher we've barely had any interaction with up until now would be lame. On the other, I'd like an arc where all of Class 1B defects with him and class 1A have to use what they learned in this arc to take them down.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm just waiting for the end of this filler arc so we can get to, really juicy part, the teacher's tournament battle.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Horikoshi's latest author comment posted:

Lately my hair's been falling out like crazy. It's coming. It's definitely coming. For some reason my heart is calm.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Uuuuh was that a joke or is Horikoshi loving dying? I am genuinely not sure.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's balding.

I really doubt if he was that sick he'd put it on everyone reading WSJ.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
:doh:

Well that's a lot less serious and makes a lot more sense. After all those various rumors about his health problems I feared he was morbidly joking about something waaaaay worse.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Uhhhh Horikoshi that doesn't sound normal...

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I miss all might

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

you can really tell author success from that page because the people doing really well are talking about the most random unrelated bullshit

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oda sits atop his throne, spinning his pottery wheel.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Patware posted:

you can really tell author success from that page because the people doing really well are talking about the most random unrelated bullshit
I dunno if you can tell success more than you can just tell who is or isn't being killed by their work.

Oda is just so insanely old school. The story about him from Toriko's mangaka (who is good friends with Oda to this day) basically kinda paints him as bordering on Tezuka levels of workaholic.

It was something like this IIRC:

(Shimabukuro and Oda are at a bar talking sometime in the first half of One Piece's serialization)
Shimabukuro: I have no idea how you keep this up!
Oda: Oh, when you cut down to 3 hours of sleep your mind gets really sharp!
Shimabukuro: That's the opposite of how it works!!

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 13, 2018

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
iida was still the one who kicked mudman in the teeth with a power he cant control, for all we know the tower fell on them and is soft on every spot the 1-a gang got hit at

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Oh whoops already posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mouse Principal going on about how stress was destroying his fur during the assembly was actually a cry for help.