Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Is there anywhere streaming Encouragement of Climb season 2 in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tir McDohl posted:

Is there anywhere streaming Encouragement of Climb season 2 in the US?

Nope!

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Well that's one less series to try catching up on for now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tir McDohl posted:

Well that's one less series to try catching up on for now.

It's worth pirating.

But in either case at least watch the awesome OP
https://youtu.be/NTeLGxA1rrU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Coaaab posted:

What are your favorites in that regard (in any medium)?

It depends on in what sense you mean.

Oyasumi Punpun is one of the first that comes to mind, of course.

While there's a lot of 'coming of age' stories, one that focuses more on the long-term consequences of abuse is LISA: The Painful. Whereas say, Earthbound is about growing up, LISA is about "growing old."

For "dark coming of age story that doesn't shy away from how much that can suck":

Aku no Hana comes to mind.

I'll half-jokingly say Narutaru, too. :v:

Bokua no Hentai has varying degrees of dark involved, and various degrees of actually getting through it.

Satou Kashi no Dangan wa Uchinukenai kind of too?

For "trauma of some kind can really screw someone up in the long term":

Bitter Virgin's female lead is pretty heavily affected by being sexually abused at a young age.

Happy Sugar Life has pretty much the entire cast being various forms of dysfunctional due to various kinds of abuse.

For a different kind of trauma, there's (no, really) Spec Ops: The Line. While a lot of people focus on the meta narrative aspect (which is interesting in it's own way), the protagonist is extremely heavily affected by traumatic experiences earlier in his career.

Deer Hunter is interesting in that it provides several different characters who had the same traumatic experience, and how they deal with it - or fail to - in different ways.

All that said, my taste in media is pretty unsophisticated, all things considered. I'd like to see more stuff like Oyasumi Punpun in either of the respects I mentioned, but who knows. :shrug:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

this is me all the time now

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I don't like that the villains in the next Kamen Rider movie are trying to destroy the Kamen Rider in my heart.

Not because it'll work but because I will cry like a baby when the crowds of people start cheering for Kamen Rider to save the day.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

Saw Liz last night and it was...interesting? I feel like I really have to rewatch when BD rips drop to solidify my feelings on it, because I dunno, I just felt kinda vaguely sad coming out, and I'm not sure if that was really my reaction to the film itself or not, lol.

It's a very good movie and felt sorta wistful to me by the end.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/jiffington/status/1062471505496469504

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/1062506245356183552

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

A rollercoaster of a story. A+

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

You dont play Skyrim you just mod it forever

Really fitting the dis is Todd Howard image here

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1062493798595522563

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
You know they make merchandise of those cats and sell it?
And the cats still can't even get in to appreciate art.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You just wait til i talk to my council member :mad:

But also this:
https://twitter.com/atelierkido/status/1061575903203930112

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the cats have gotten in before right? Right?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

the cats have gotten in before right? Right?
As far as I have read, they never have.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat rule of rose

Oof

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xavw2D8Gf6E

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

It depends on in what sense you mean.

Oyasumi Punpun is one of the first that comes to mind, of course.

While there's a lot of 'coming of age' stories, one that focuses more on the long-term consequences of abuse is LISA: The Painful. Whereas say, Earthbound is about growing up, LISA is about "growing old."

For "dark coming of age story that doesn't shy away from how much that can suck":

Aku no Hana comes to mind.

I'll half-jokingly say Narutaru, too. :v:

Bokua no Hentai has varying degrees of dark involved, and various degrees of actually getting through it.

Satou Kashi no Dangan wa Uchinukenai kind of too?

For "trauma of some kind can really screw someone up in the long term":

Bitter Virgin's female lead is pretty heavily affected by being sexually abused at a young age.

Happy Sugar Life has pretty much the entire cast being various forms of dysfunctional due to various kinds of abuse.

For a different kind of trauma, there's (no, really) Spec Ops: The Line. While a lot of people focus on the meta narrative aspect (which is interesting in it's own way), the protagonist is extremely heavily affected by traumatic experiences earlier in his career.

Deer Hunter is interesting in that it provides several different characters who had the same traumatic experience, and how they deal with it - or fail to - in different ways.

All that said, my taste in media is pretty unsophisticated, all things considered. I'd like to see more stuff like Oyasumi Punpun in either of the respects I mentioned, but who knows. :shrug:

Come and See.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Come and See....

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HCTIUx1Arc

I can only watch it once every couple of years, it continues to destroy me

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's said that you can't make an effective anti-war film because war by its nature is exciting, and the end of the film belongs to the survivors. No one would ever make the mistake of saying that about Elem Klimov's "Come and See." This 1985 film from Russia is one of the most devastating films ever about anything, and in it, the survivors must envy the dead.

Eberts opening paragraph about it one of my fav pieces of film writing too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You might like Blood Meridian

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

a kitten posted:

You might like Blood Meridian

All the pretty horses is better

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The border trilogy I think has an actual heart to it I think while still being bleak

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

blood meridian is way more allegorical so the substance is a more philosophical nature, compared to

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Somewhat shamefully i haven't read the border trilogy yet, i bought them for my dad and he loved them though

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

even more specifically theres something super didactic about blood meridian, instead of being a novel reveling in blood and violence (it still is), i always read it more as a morality play thats just recognizing the inevitability of evil but also extolling the virtues of the good and divine.

Tobins a really important part of the book for a reason.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sharkopath posted:

It's said that you can't make an effective anti-war film because war by its nature is exciting, and the end of the film belongs to the survivors. No one would ever make the mistake of saying that about Elem Klimov's "Come and See." This 1985 film from Russia is one of the most devastating films ever about anything, and in it, the survivors must envy the dead.

My fav part is "All he sees is horror, and all he doesn't see is horror, too."

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I've only read All the Pretty horses but its just full of this sense of futility and the changing times and Rockstar owe cormac mccarthy an infinite amount of dollars

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5IpN3grKDI

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

What if you take the anti-war message away from the War itself, but consequences ala M*A*S*H*

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

there had to be a better place for that speech bubble masuda

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
free the butt

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Agronox posted:

there had to be a better place for that speech bubble masuda

Did I ever tell you about the man who taught his rear end in a top hat to talk? His whole abdomen would move up and down you dig, farting out the words. It was unlike anything I ever heard.

This rear end talk had sort of a gut frequency.
It hit you right down there like you gotta go.
You know when the old colon gives you the elbow and it feels sorta cold inside, and you know all you have to do is turn loose?
Well this talking hit you right down there, a bubbly, thick stagnant sound, a sound you could smell.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ah poo poo it got canceled :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad Hime has a friend now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

dis' true identity as Todd Howard, exposed.

Todd Howard did nothing wrong