Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Hobbit films are gritty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7byUTrSZA&t=182s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How do you shoot a scene where an elf is jumping on the heads of dwarves in barrels floating over a waterfall and make it so dour and boring?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The executives greenlighting these fantasy series are idiots. They went "Hey everyone likes Game of Thrones, let's make that type of show!"
Without ever understanding how GoT changed the fantasy genre.

And instead of making shows that followed in GoT's footsteps, like The First Law, they greenlit Wheel of Time and LotR.

At least greenlighting Kingkiller makes some sense cause it's got some inspiration from GoT and some from Harry Potter, two very successful things. They seem to know the tone they're going for with that show, even if the source material is incredibly uneven.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Ccs posted:

The executives greenlighting these fantasy series are idiots. They went "Hey everyone likes Game of Thrones, let's make that type of show!"

And instead of making shows that followed in GoT's footsteps, like The First Law, they greenlit Wheel of Time and LotR.

At least greenlighting Kingkiller makes some sense cause it's got some inspiration from GoT and some from Harry Potter, two very successful things. They seem to know the tone they're going for with that show, even if the source material is incredibly uneven.

The TV show is going to play out exactly like Legend of the Seeker did for Sword of Truth.

Patrick Rothfuss is this generation's Terry Goodkind.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Their tone is also inconsistent and the overall product is awful.

Regardless, I don't think they're intentionally gritty. I think they tried to ground a children's story in the more adult interpretation that the Rings films are and it makes those movies way more gritty than they need or should be, even while including goofy garbage.

I have no doubt that the show will double down on that garbage.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

The TV show is going to play out exactly like Legend of the Seeker did for Sword of Truth.

Patrick Rothfuss is this generation's Terry Goodkind.

So... Good and seemingly designed to intentionally piss off the original author? I'm game.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

PJOmega posted:

So... Good and seemingly designed to intentionally piss off the original author? I'm game.

Yea, I loved that stupid show and their impeccable costume department.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ccs posted:

That's a strange complaint. No matter how much GoT changed the fantasy genre, it's not half as influential as LotR. Additionally, the Middle-earth setting is very popular, as seen in the success of the LotR and The Hobbit films, or games like Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. That's a big market to be tapped, and I doubt a series in that setting does badly if it's halfway decently done.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Torrannor posted:

That's a strange complaint. No matter how much GoT changed the fantasy genre, it's not half as influential as LotR. Additionally, the Middle-earth setting is very popular, as seen in the success of the LotR and The Hobbit films, or games like Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. That's a big market to be tapped, and I doubt a series in that setting does badly if it's halfway decently done.

Did GoT really change anything? At best it took the typical mid/low fantasy setting and meshed it with the kind of shady politics and terrible acts that dark ages Europe was famous for. Even the whole 4-7 kings civil war was heavily rooted in the various conflicts in England and France for the crown among the upper nobility. As someone who read a lot of historical fiction set in the 800-1100s there's nothing in GoT that wasn't extremely commonplace in historical record.

Maybe I don't have a good grasp on how dismal the fantasy scene was in the late 90s. Aside from Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth I can't remember anything major topping the best seller lists or getting front shelf display in Borders.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I mean there's what, Sword of Shannara and other garbage?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It and Walking Dead have sort of changed expectations as far as how characters get treated. "No one is safe" and "awful things happen all the time" have become a bit more mainstream.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's all well and good, but what does it mean to be a woman

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Atlas Hugged posted:

And yet one of these streaming services has gone all in on gritty fantasy, having begun production on The Wheel of Time and Lord of the loving Rings.

Riftwar was picked up by a studio not too long ago as well.

E: first law is overrated garbage

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
first law is amazing and you can see the influence of gritty hbo dramas in the way they're written (and joe ab's self-proclaimed love of deadwood and the like)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The First Law, actually, is bad.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Torrannor posted:

But nudity and horrific violence would seem totally wrong in a Tolkien based series. GoT and those it inspired are much more interested in politics. There’s nothing mythical about the heroes, everyone’s a shade of gray.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ccs posted:

But nudity and horrific violence would seem totally wrong in a Tolkien based series. GoT and those it inspired are much more interested in politics. There’s nothing mythical about the heroes, everyone’s a shade of gray.

I dunno about that. There are absolutely good guys and bad guys in Game of Thrones. There's not really any gray to a Jon Snow or a Robb Stark or a Joffrey or a The Bastard

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The First Law, actually, is bad.

Compared to Gormenghast? Sure.

Compared to Sanderson or Rothfuss? It's diamonds.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fixed that for you. Sanderson caters to different tastes. Personally, I enjoy both of them (Abercrombie and Sanderson) a lot.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Fixed that for you. Sanderson caters to different tastes. Personally, I enjoy both of them (Abercrombie and Sanderson) a lot.

Sanderson is basically writing Dragonlance quality novels. He's the bottom standard of the genre, and the only thing he ever wrote that would crack a generous 3/5 was Emperor's Soul.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Compared to Gormenghast? Sure.

BoTL is pretty explicit in why Abercrombie is "bad". Even comparing him to worse authors is pointless when the things about the book that weaken it are intrinsic to the genre and something very few authors care about to improve on.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
If I'm just looking for a good time, I'd rather read a new Abercrombie or Sanderson than something "literary" like Ursula Le Guin or whatever. Rothfuss might go full retard like he did with Slow Regard and middle finger his core audience again, who knows.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Why the hell wouldn't you have a good time reading Le Guin?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The mindset that a book is either meaningless fun or a character-building chore genuinely disgusts me.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Different kind of good time.

Sometimes I'd rather have diet coke than a good wine, you know?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Soda also disgusts me. :colbert:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Soda also disgusts me. :colbert:

Have you also considered destroying whoville so that they no longer are allowed the enjoyment of Christmas carols?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What I'm saying is that Reene should have read my mind and mentioned beer instead.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Why the hell wouldn't you have a good time reading Le Guin?

LeGuin is the only good “wizards and dragons and Joseph Campbell” fantasy writer and that is a hill I will gladly die on.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What I'm saying is that Reene should have read my mind and mentioned beer instead.

Okay fine.

Sometimes you just feel like having a Tecate instead of a complex open-fermentation sour.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

pentyne posted:

BoTL is pretty explicit in why Abercrombie is "bad". Even comparing him to worse authors is pointless when the things about the book that weaken it are intrinsic to the genre and something very few authors care about to improve on.

I have him blocked so I can't see his criticisms. What are they?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

I have him blocked so I can't see his criticisms. What are they?
In the main, that the books are emptily cynical and bound by genre conventions, without any ideals or real imagination of their own. He compares them to Tarantino's films, which he hates. He also quotes this indefensible "banter":

quote:

“Northerner, eh?” asked a massive shape in the doorway.

“Aye, who’s asking?”

“The Stone-Splitter.”

He was big this one, very big, and tough, and savage. You could see it on him as he shoved the cupboard away with his huge boot and crunched forward through the broken plates. It meant less than nothing to the Bloody-Nine though—he was made to break such men. Tul Duru Thunderhead had been bigger. Rudd Threetrees had been tougher. Black Dow had been twice as savage. The Bloody-Nine had broken them, and plenty more besides. The bigger, the tougher, the more savage he was, so much the worse would be his breaking.

“Stone-Shitter?” laughed the Bloody-Nine. “So fuckin’ what? Next to die is what y’are, and nothing more!” He held his left hand up, spattered with red blood, three fingers spread out wide, grinning through the gap where the middle one used to be, a long time ago. “They call me the Bloody-Nine.”

“Dah!” The Stone-Splitter ripped off his mask and threw it on the floor. “Liar! There’s plenty o’ men in the north have lost a finger. They ain’t all Ninefingers!”

“No. Only me.”

That great face twisted up with rage. “You loving liar! You think to scare the Stone-Splitter with a name that’s not your own? I’ll carve a new arse in you, maggot! I’ll put the bloody cross on you! I’ll put you back in the mud you coward loving liar!”

“Kill me?” The Bloody-Nine laughed louder than ever. “I do the killing, fool!”

The talk was done.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 16, 2018

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

In the main, that the books are emptily cynical and bound by genre conventions, without any ideals or real imagination of their own. He compares them to Tarantino's films, which he hates. He also quotes this indefensible "banter":

What's the complaint? Swears are bad? That's puerile. It's a scene between two cunning idiots who are trying to rip each other apart. The characters in a scene color the prose of the scene. That's an element of good writing.

My comparison points were Sanderson and Rothfuss. Sanderson's cardinal sin is this his characters lack complexity. Rothfuss has been discussed to death.

Abercrombie is better than either by at least a step. The Northerners are basically the equivalent of deep south racists. It's fine to dislike them, but don't mistake that for bad writing.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
You know, a conversation with a friend actually made me question something.

ARE Rothfuss's books popular? Like, I know there's a fandom, but it doesn't seem to have near the one that Game of Thrones has. It's known very widely ad you can talk to most anyone and they've heard of it.

Most people I mention Kingkiller Chronicle to for any reason have never heard of it, and it doesn't seem to have gotten very audible acclaim that'd cause large public awareness.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

What's the complaint? Swears are bad? That's puerile. It's a scene between two cunning idiots who are trying to rip each other apart. The characters in a scene color the prose of the scene. That's an element of good writing.
The swearing is one of the less awful things in that mess of windily labored pseudo-dialect, which is one of the less awful things that BravestOfTheLamps brings up.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 16, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The way Stone-Splitter suddenly hurls his mask off and starts shouting makes me picture a 6 year old having a tantrum, not a big burly warrior.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It doesn't even make sense. Why so much huffing and puffing over the idea that his opponent is lying? If he thinks it's a bluff, shouldn't he have the opposite reaction?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is that excerpt from a book of wrestling color commentary?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Well here's a teaser clip from the upcoming Abercrombie movie

https://youtu.be/8C4lK41SX-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ccs posted:

Uh, there are TV series for the Witcher and the Black Company that are supposed to be in production now. Both series pre-date GOT and are grimgrey if not full dark and less of a chore to read than GRRM's unedited tomes.