Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Amperor posted:

How are people taking screenshots of their whole bases?

There's a mod called progress renderer or something on the workshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tias posted:

So I've gotten a neat colony going, but in spite of making marine armour, shield belts and whatnot, my colonist are beginning to show some old scars on their bodies. I'd rather not get them on luciferum, and the base game prostetics reduse their limbs to 50% functionality.

Where to go for craftable bionics?

Vanilla Bionics Expansion + Scar Removal. Don't bother with EPOE or RBSE.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

what the gently caress did I ever do to you, randy

e: these all happened within a day

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 18, 2018

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Vanilla Bionics Expansion + Scar Removal. Don't bother with EPOE or RBSE.

i remember people saying one of them was unbalanced, but why not use either of them in comparison to VBE?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:tbear:

Phoenix Taichou posted:

i remember people saying one of them was unbalanced, but why not use either of them in comparison to VBE?

VBE does everything you want a bionics mod for without any of the unnecessary bloat that EPOE or RBSE add. Most people want a bionics mod to:
1. Fill in the blanks in vanilla bionics crafting, with hands and noses and such.
2. Let them cure scars.

VBE+SR do both of these things without requiring you to start a new game or horribly glitch your old saves, or adding dozens of unnecessary bionics of questionable usefulness or questionable balance. EPOE is hopelessly bloated and resistant to the changes made to the game in the last few versions (the mod author has rolled back things that would have required them to change their mod's design, which is why it breaks saves now), and RBSE is a hardcore mod ill-suited to most people playing the game.

EPOE used to be the go-to bionics expansion mod. It isn't anymore. You can still grab it if you want, but I highly recommend VBE+SR for most people as the "necessary" bionics expansion.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ace bionics advice

That's pretty sound, I'll get rid of both of those mods completely and take these new two. Filling in the gaps of bionics that vanilla didn't do was why I sought those out in the first place, and getting rid of extra crap I don't need always helps. Cheers!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I don't really see EPOE as particularly bloated. Maybe back when it added an impossible to obtain resource for crafting top end stuff but not now. It's not like it adds a million different prosthetic variants that all do the same thing or something like that, it's 3 levels for each body part plus some cheapo stuff you can build right off the bat.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
One of the great things about this game is that the question is "is there a mod for thing X" it's "what is the best mod for thing x"

Except for tech between tribal and modern, then it's just medieval times.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Toxic fallout is still the worst event. Well that's my story.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

we should all pass around a save a month at a time

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

boar guy posted:

we should all pass around a save a month at a time

Has there ever been a succession LP for Rimworld? I’d be extremely into that.

Only problem would be determining the modlist ahead of time.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm sure everything would be ruined by the first winter.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gadzuko posted:

I don't really see EPOE as particularly bloated. Maybe back when it added an impossible to obtain resource for crafting top end stuff but not now. It's not like it adds a million different prosthetic variants that all do the same thing or something like that, it's 3 levels for each body part plus some cheapo stuff you can build right off the bat.

EPOE was a garbage nightmare back in the days of Vancidium and stuff, but I don't find it terribly bloated in its current form, yeah.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Vengarr posted:

Has there ever been a succession LP for Rimworld? I’d be extremely into that.

Only problem would be determining the modlist ahead of time.

I've been thinking about how to do it. It seems the best way would be to have a very minimal list of core QoL mods that the majority agree on. Problem with this compared to DF is that RW has the dev mode that you can cheat stuff or fiddle with stuff in, and somebody could chuck in mods and chuck them out again willy nilly so it'd really be a sort of honour system thing with it - unless we agree that whoever has the save can put whatever mods they want in AS LONG as they're ones that can be switched without save breaking?

On the other hand, I've been thinking of a solo Rimworld LP where goons vote on mandates for things that have to be done/not done/crafted/not crafted and a general direction for the colony to go in.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of one colony getting traded around we should start with a single colony then copy it and have two separate people play it and see how it develops in different ways. Then we could do it again and four people take over from those two. This way we can all participate at once, and its more fun to compare different alternative paths than it is to follow one game.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I need to shed more than a few mods for simplicity's sake, I think. I tried RimAtomics for a day or so before feeling that it just added too much busywork.

I'll probably get rid of a lot of Fluffy's tabs and.. fluff and maybe the aesthetic refrigerators at minimum.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm imagining it all starting normally, and the two colonies diverging. One into a utopia and the other a crack wake-up den.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Multiple colonies in the same world would be cool. There’s gotta be a mod for that, right?

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Vengarr posted:

Multiple colonies in the same world would be cool. There’s gotta be a mod for that, right?

Pretty sure somebody was working on a multiplayer mod called Rim Together or something

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Pretty sure somebody was working on a multiplayer mod called Rim Together or something

There would be lots of extra death in this game without the ability to pause.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Twitch plays Rim World.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Just having the ability to retire a settlement and return to it would be great.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
I'm having a problem with faction traders turning up but refusing to leave unless they starve to death. I've also tried setting up a caravan but they won't leave the map. Anybody know of any mods that cause this problem? I dev mode'd to wipe all mountain from the right side of the map. There are no holes in the mountain to the left. This hasn't happened before. It's piss annoying.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I'm having a problem with faction traders turning up but refusing to leave unless they starve to death. I've also tried setting up a caravan but they won't leave the map. Anybody know of any mods that cause this problem? I dev mode'd to wipe all mountain from the right side of the map. There are no holes in the mountain to the left. This hasn't happened before. It's piss annoying.

So whats the problem? Let them starve to death and feed them to your animals. Thats a renewable resource.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

Toxic fallout is still the worst event. Well that's my story.

oh is the new game out already

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Usually traders hang around too long if one of their party becomes downed or incapacitated, or sometimes if enough are sleeping. Otherwise, could be a new mod that’s borking something.

There’s a dismiss trader mod that adds the ability to tell them to GTFO. Dev mode has a, “friendly pawn force flee” or something.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

Usually traders hang around too long if one of their party becomes downed or incapacitated, or sometimes if enough are sleeping. Otherwise, could be a new mod that’s borking something.

There’s a dismiss trader mod that adds the ability to tell them to GTFO. Dev mode has a, “friendly pawn force flee” or something.

I've been having the same problem lately. There's also an issue with Hospitality guests and occasionally I'll have two pawns who get stuck "hanging out" with each other who won't work or handle any of their needs until they fall unconscious.

Originally I did some research and thought it was Android Tiers causing it. I'm pretty sure it's Hospitality or Psychology at this point, though after removing Android Tiers the problem became less frequent?

e: Dismiss Traders doesn't work, either. The pawn I tell to dismiss them runs up to the trader and then immediately fucks off. And now that I think of it, I had one raid that had a similar problem - they were waiting to attack, then they all starved to death.

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 19, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vengarr posted:

Just having the ability to retire a settlement and return to it would be great.

I'm surprised there aren't interesting victory conditions that involve conquering or something. Seems like it would be very nice to have some sort of "great evil" victory condition, or a research objective or something.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

I've been having the same problem lately. There's also an issue with Hospitality guests and occasionally I'll have two pawns who get stuck "hanging out" with each other who won't work or handle any of their needs until they fall unconscious.

Originally I did some research and thought it was Android Tiers causing it. I'm pretty sure it's Hospitality or Psychology at this point, though after removing Android Tiers the problem became less frequent?

e: Dismiss Traders doesn't work, either. The pawn I tell to dismiss them runs up to the trader and then immediately fucks off. And now that I think of it, I had one raid that had a similar problem - they were waiting to attack, then they all starved to death.

Do you use the expanded doors mod? That one I think caused some interesting issues with muffalo trying to return to the barn for me, as well as made guests do funny poo poo when I restricted their movement areas.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

Do you use the expanded doors mod? That one I think caused some interesting issues with muffalo trying to return to the barn for me, as well as made guests do funny poo poo when I restricted their movement areas.

The one that adds 1x2, 1x3, and curtains? Or the one that adds blast doors? Or are those the same? I use both, so... Guests have been having difficulty with doors, maybe, but not colonists. Can you post a modlist and a debug log from your game for me? I'm trying to track this down, it's a real pain in the rear end - my current colony was going fine until people started flipping out. I've also had parties start to go on way too long. I suspect it's Psychology affecting how the game makes pawn AI work when two pawns interact socially.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Rutibex posted:

So whats the problem? Let them starve to death and feed them to your animals. Thats a renewable resource.

I did this at first and got some nice free stuff. What was odd was that SOME of the traders would bumble off back home, others would stay and starve.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I did read somewhere that if the lead trader sleeps before they have to leave it may mess it up but I dunno, that seems too basic a thing to be a vanilla bug. Also I could just dev mode my way around it but I don't want to have to keep doing that.

Epsilon Plus posted:

I don't use Hospitality or the Androids one but I do use Psychology. This hasn't been a problem before and I've been using Psych for months.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I do, yeah, but for the colony walls I've been using the vanilla single doors.

I tried placing the trading spot (the mod one) outside the colony walls, and nothing changes. Being that my own caravan won't leave I'm guessing it has something to do with how exiting the map is working out, but it doesn't make any sense if the faction traders can come IN but can't leave. Doesn't make sense that the entire top right/right/bottom right of the map is clear of obstructions but my caravan won't leave, even if she's standing outside the walls when I try to stop and start the caravan again (so she has no reason to go back inside the walls) so I don't think it's the walls either.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Rimworld has a system called "Lords" which is used to organize groups of pawns in tandem. Caravans use it. Raids use it. Parties use it. Mods like Psychology use it, including for things like "hanging out" and elections. If you open the error log, you're probably going to see something like this in it:

code:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Verse.AI.Group.Lord.LordTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
at Verse.AI.Group.LordManager.LordManagerTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
at Verse.Map.MapPostTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
That's the source of your problem. Lords (except for raids) normally end on their own simply by reaching a time limit, whereafter the Lord disbands and the caravan leaves the map, or your colonists go back to work. If the Lord can't tick, then time can't pass for it, and they will just keep doing what they're doing forever. The only makeshift solution is to do something that ends the Lord prematurely, like having a pawn take damage or die or have a raid arrive.

This error seems to have become more common in 1.0, there's been a lot of people reporting it. Conceivably, any mod could cause it that makes code changes, so nobody knows why it's happening. It is indeed piss annoying.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Question - I'm currently making all of my rooms into one giant, indoor base. Can I make a single HVAC room with a bunch of coolers and vents to keep the entire place at room temperature, or do i need to space them around the complex?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Where do I build new bionics with the added mods? I can't seem to find neither a workstation that do it or a research upgrade mentioning. OTOH I have enabled these mods in an ongoing game, so perhaps it's just bugging out.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Which mods did you get?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just RBSE atm.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The research needed is placed in a separate tab in the research screen.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

"Hmm, this seems like it might be a mistake" I said to myself as I placed the chemfuel stockpile for my generator room directly over some power lines. And I was correct, a zzzt event set them off, causing a fairly large explosion that almost destroyed all my generators. The air was also about 500 degrees f and burned my pawns who stood inside trying to put it out.

My colony has somewhat of a weird bug I think though, Randy doesn't seem too interested in giving me much of any event. I only have 4 pawns and I'm approaching winter year one, and I've had like, two raids of one or two people each. I've got it on Medium Randy instead of Rough Randy. It all seems oddly too peaceful.

Oh, and I'd be interested in a succession colony too

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fluffy's Research Tree is such an obvious, flawless improvement to the vanilla game that I often forget it's a mod at all. I've all but completely forgotten what the vanilla Research tab looks like, I just remember it sucks by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The one thing that annoys me immensely is that when you schedule an operation, you can't restrict who can perform it and where. It sucks to lose a bionic spine because somehow instead of the professional surgeon, the guy performing the operation is the guy on alcohol withdrawal with Medical 5, who you empowered to stabilize your dying cow and promptly forgot about. And instead of using your sterile hospital, he prefers to perform the operation in the patient's flea-infested dog leather bedroll in a vomit-coated, dark room.