Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
On the subject of the Sabbat Crusade, can anyone outline the war in broad strokes?

The way I understand it from reading the Gaunt books is Sabbat liberated the Sabbat cluster/rediscovered it in or about the 34th Millennium , and at some point the whole or parts of it fell to Chaos? But was it only recently or has it been like that for ages? Sometimes I get the impression the Ghosts arrive on a planet that just fell a few weeks before and the Crusade is more of a counter offensive than anything else, while other times I get the feeling Chaos've held on to the planets for centuries and built up functioning economies and fortress worlds. Its confusing, but I guess the answer is 'it depends on what kind of story Abnett wants to tell in a particular book'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's a short story in the new Inferno with that plot, and yes it's good.

I was referring to the new book by Nate Crawley. I have no idea what "the new Inferno" even is

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's not entirely clear if Tanith is in the Sabbat Worlds or not either. It's a function of story drift over time as Abnett went from "that guy who writes stories where the Guard don't all get executed or mindwiped at the end" to "that guy who drives the setting" with a lot of GW executive meddling. The short version is that the entire Sabbat Worlds unit was written off by the High Lords, but that pockets of Imperial loyalist control still existed, with varying levels of internal strife on those planets. Sometimes the Ghosts turn up to fight off The Big Push, sometimes they're liberating a long-held world. More recently they've been thrown into defensive actions against the counter attacks launched at the Crusade.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tanith (the planet) is absolutely in tje Sabbat Worlds.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I thought the Sabbat Worlds only came under open attack from Chaos in the past century or two centuries, and that the Imperium was somewhat quick to respond and fairly quickly broke the main enemy's back and are now playing whack-a-heretic with the remnants. I've only read the first GG omnibus, but most of the Ghosts deployments seemed to be less "This world had fallen to Chaos and we're attacking to take it back" and more "Oh poo poo, turns out this hivecity was corrupted by Chaos and are now attacking the other cities". I think the enemy city in Necropolis was described as going silent only a year or two prior to the book starting, but the first three novels deal less with the overall war and more on the small scale fights.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The early books and the campaign book originally stated that in the past century chaos had started overrunning planets in the cluster until it became a threat the imperium could no longer ignore. Later books (everything after Blood Pact I believe) retconned it into a thousand year long infestation by Chaos because of Games Workshop's "bigga is betta" mandate.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also, how ridiculous is it that the next city over goes silent and you just don't send anyone over to check for a couple of years? Warhams ridiculous, that's how.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Ah. But they were trade rivals

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Also, how ridiculous is it that the next city over goes silent and you just don't send anyone over to check for a couple of years? Warhams ridiculous, that's how.

Reminder that this is the same book where the leader of vervunhive's upper class exploded into a mutant the minute anyone asked him what the hell was going on.

The most surprising thing is that Ferrozoica was only able to deploy twenty million brainwashed soldiers to the siege. I thought hives would be bigger than that. They must have had one hell of a civil war to deplete themselves that much before marching on vervunhive.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Libluini posted:

I was referring to the new book by Nate Crawley. I have no idea what "the new Inferno" even is

quote:

Today sees the long-anticipated launch of Inferno! Volume 1, the first in a new series of short story anthologies that combine tales from new and up-and-coming authors with stories by Black Library favourites.

This first volume has a lead story by David Annandale starring the Ultramarines – ‘The Unsung War’ – alongside the Black Library debuts of Steven B Fischer, Nate Crowley and Filip Weltgren, plus seven more tales by authors old and new.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Inferno-1-eng-2018

Nate's also a goon, btw.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd say that's absolutely typical of humans and we need look no further than our own gay planet to find myriad examples of sovereign states doing exactly that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Biplane posted:

I'd say that's absolutely typical of humans and we need look no further than our own gay planet to find myriad examples of sovereign states doing exactly that.
Really? I am aware of states going incommunicado officially, but there's always some degree of awareness that people are still there doing the things they do via spies and the like. In Necropolis it's sort of implied that Manchester goes quiet and London just doesn't bother to check.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Going by the Fluffbook the basic gist is following:
The sector known as the Sabbat Worlds got annexed by the Imperium waaaaaay back in M35. Liberated by the OG Saint Sabbat.

Anyway, things are relatively calm for a couple of centuries until Chaos comes knocking on the door around M38 and decides to settle in on the edge and the sector light switches from green to yellow.

Then early centuries of M41 rolls around where Chaos, led by an Archon, goes "Sup, all of this this poo poo is ours now" and begin invading in force.
Jump forward some hundred years or so until 741.M40 where the Imperium flicks over the Sector light from Yellow to Red and declares the place lost.

The exile sector governor is all "waah waah, I want my sector back now" and the High Lords is "Nope, not worth the expenses". This is where Slaydo rolls in. Slaydo is a man with an vision(tm) and that is to liberate the Sabbat Worlds. So he gets declared Warmaster after doing well in the Khulan Wars (which is where Gaunt also fought as a side note) and gets to work with that.
So the Crusade officially begins in 755.M41
What's interesting to note is that the reasons as to why Slaydo wanted to do this was that he had a strong fascination in Saint Sabbatine and not something the book elaborates much on.

Jumping forward another decade to 765 Balhaut happens. Which is the massive invasion of one of the major chaos strongholds in the sector. The most important thing in this case is that Slaydo dies and names Macaroth his successor as Warmaster.
It's around this point the Chaos forces are shattered and bits and pieces of them just high tail it out of the area. Which includes a remnant fleet that torched Tanith in later 765.M41.

Going forwards Macaroth is pretty much Napoleon with a number of daring and bold tactical moves that has Chaos reeling, especially after their top dog died during Balhaut.
Then Blood Pact shows up alongside Urlock Gaur that sends them reeling until Hagia (well and a couple of other places) where the Saint is reborn.

Admittedly this is where my memory gets hazy since I haven't read the actual books in a while now but the biggest thing is the civil war between Gaur's Blood Pact and Sek's Sons of Sek. (The latter being founded mostly because of jealousy as I recall.)
Pretty sure the campaign is up around 780.M41 by now since the fluff book ends at His last command which takes place 775.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Goddammit. Now they are making e-shorts of Inferno stories? I thought the whole point of Inferno was to decrease the excessive amount of ebook shorts that were coming out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

I am sure I have seen it somewhere on :filez: sites. It's a great book and it's a shame GW didn't make it more easily available.
Yeah, it's definitely available as :filez:. It's not a great scan, but it's readable.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Goddammit. Now they are making e-shorts of Inferno stories? I thought the whole point of Inferno was to decrease the excessive amount of ebook shorts that were coming out.

It's also disappointing. The email I got from Black Library made it look like a full novel.

But eh, I've checked the price and at least it's only like 3 bucks, so it's not like they demand full price for it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure the campaign is up around 780.M41 by now since the fluff book ends at His last command which takes place 775.
It's a bit later due to warp fuckery. I think they're at 790-ish.M41 now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The time warp from Warmaster amounts to very little apart from being an excuse to declare Gaunt a war hero and get him an instant promotion from dog colonel to Lord General. The fact that the entire general staff of Macaroth's crusade have been sitting around on Urdesh for ten freaking years and the frontlines have barely changed is weird to say the least. That's the kind of attrition you'd expect to see on Aexe Cardinal during their century long World War 1 session, not the forefront of the entire crusade.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's vaguely implied that something counter-attackey and salient reducing is happening ~*~over there~*~ somewhere and that the Crusade's momentum has stalled because of it, but yeah, it seems like a weird thing to just come back to.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

they haven't been sitting on Urdesh for ten years, but that's where the Saint is when Gaunt returns, so that's where the Warmaster is, and that's why the general staff is there, because that's where Sek lured her. you fools. you imbeciles

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Really? I am aware of states going incommunicado officially, but there's always some degree of awareness that people are still there doing the things they do via spies and the like. In Necropolis it's sort of implied that Manchester goes quiet and London just doesn't bother to check.

Manchester though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Orv posted:

Manchester though.

Manchester versus the Russians.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Did Bobby G start imperium secundus in unremembered empire, or before? I thought it was the former, but the cover from Vulkan Lives reads something like "as the war continues, all eyes turn towards Ultramar and Gilligan's new empire (...)" or some such.

Worked my way halfway through the horus heresy again, and I'm trying to go a more chronological route this time.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

A lot of poo poo is also happening at the same time that just shifts to different point of views.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Arquinsiel posted:

That's nothing; In real life current political England, Manchester could go quiet and the majority of London would be surprised to find it had ever existed.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Manchester versus the Russians.

Having lived there most of my life, my money is on Manchester.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd always imagined the verghastites as having Northerner accents to contrast with the Welsh and Irish Tanith, but when it finally clicked around Salvations Reach that they were space Russians I had to give them all Boris and Olga accents.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shockeh posted:

That's nothing; In real life current political England, Manchester could go quiet and the majority of London would be surprised to find it had ever existed.
Given recent experiences in Guildford, it's 50/50 whether any given English person would know that Ireland is not part of the UK so... I picked a bad example.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Arquinsiel posted:

Given recent experiences in Guildford, it's 50/50 whether any given English person would know that Ireland is not part of the UK so... I picked a bad example.

Ireland is part of the UK.

The Republic of Ireland, or Eire, is not part of the UK. The other part of the island of Ireland is.

Shockeh posted:

Large sections of London would notice. It would mean Arsenal or Chelsea would stand a chance of winning the Premier League (but not Spurs. They would Spurs it up too much).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Ireland is part of the UK.

The Republic of Ireland, or Eire, is not part of the UK. The other part of the island of Ireland is.
Nope. Check Article 4 of Bunreacht na hÉireann. This whole "The Republic of" thing is just a polite fiction that we allow people to use sometimes.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Large sections of London would notice. It would mean Arsenal or Chelsea would stand a chance of winning the Premier League (but not Spurs. They would Spurs it up too much).

I've always assumed they think our club (and that other lot in the swamp) are just from some fictional location, which is 'grim'.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Arquinsiel posted:

Nope. Check Article 4 of Bunreacht na hÉireann. This whole "The Republic of" thing is just a polite fiction that we allow people to use sometimes.

Polite fiction? You mean the Republic of Ireland Act 1948 didn't happen and clarify that in English it is the Republic of Ireland?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The constitution trumps the act, but the act just says that the "description" of the state is that, whereas the constitution defines the "name".

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

So when is ADB’s “Spear of the Emperor” being released? I can’t find anything on blacklibrary.com but according to ADB’s twitter some people already have the limited edition?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Miguel Prado posted:

So when is ADB’s “Spear of the Emperor” being released? I can’t find anything on blacklibrary.com but according to ADB’s twitter some people already have the limited edition?

Rumours that preorders are going up around the 20th.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Anybody got the new Mechanicus game? I wasn't going to pick it up but it actually has really good reviews on steam.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

D-Pad posted:

Anybody got the new Mechanicus game? I wasn't going to pick it up but it actually has really good reviews on steam.
It's actually really good!
Good writing.
Fantastic X-COM like combat with a few twists.
There's no random hit chance for instance. If you're in range and have a line of fire, you'll always hit. Naturally the same goes for the enemy.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Ben Counter is the writer.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Groetgaffel posted:

Good writing.

Plavski posted:

Ben Counter is the writer.

:thunk:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Writing videogames and writing novels are different things.
Apparently Ben Counter is better at the former than he is his actual job. :v:

Or it's the fact that videogame writing almost always is paper thin and kinda bad, and anything more than bare minimum effort stands out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's nice to know he has step up his game and has not made Battle for the Abyss in video game form.