Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

StabbinHobo posted:

just on a meta level, the mods unwillingness to ban owl is a sortof microcosm of why its so hard to make progress. the endless debating of stupid poo poo is an incredibly powerful tactic for reactionaries to undermine progress, the cia even wrote a handbook about it. if we as a community have no immune system response to his behavior, we will forever be limited by the time and energy it takes to metabolize his poison.

Can we kick this new thread off the right way and ban OOCC if he ever posts in it again.

Will trade 10 Thug Lessons for 1 OOCC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I would also like for Owlofcreamcheese to go away.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Fine, I'll leave this thread for a few months, while I'm gone you guys better manage to post something other than nonsensical fanfiction about how much more hopeless you are than the next guy mixed with stupid unworkable plans that try to shift the blame away from massive pollution infrastructure to random people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

StabbinHobo posted:

just on a meta level, the mods unwillingness to ban owl is a sortof microcosm of why its so hard to make progress. the endless debating of stupid poo poo is an incredibly powerful tactic for reactionaries to undermine progress, the cia even wrote a handbook about it. if we as a community have no immune system response to his behavior, we will forever be limited by the time and energy it takes to metabolize his poison.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i quite like oocc and admire his hard work but that was a great comment lol

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

incredible flesh posted:

i quite like oocc and admire his hard work but that was a great comment lol

StabbinHobo is well known for his savage burns in the Climate Change thread.

Owl. Stop being the reason we can't have nice things. Every time you post you suck the energy out of the thread and start a cycle of bickering. You are not helping with your poison pill nonsense. Just stop.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Shifty Nipples posted:

I would also like for Owlofcreamcheese to go away.

Pretty sure D&D doesn't allow emptyquoting.

But yeah, can OOCC just bugger off.

EDIT: Oh, huh. Nevermind.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

StabbinHobo posted:

Tumblr and everything it spawned was one of the most successful psy-ops campaigns in CIA history?

:thunk:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
How the rich will survive climate change disaster
No, this isn't a repeat of previous articles on this same thing.

The Camp Fire has hit middle-class neighborhoods, while the Woolsey Fire has impacted numerous celebrities and wealthy residents in Ventura County and wealthy suburbs in Los Angeles County. The Woolsey Fire has caused three reported deaths in the impacted parts of Los Angeles County such as Malibu, where the average household yearly income is $128,712, and in Ventura County, where the average household income is $100,000. In contrast to these wealthy areas where celebrities have reportedly been hiring private militia for their insured mansions, the death total has risen to 63 with over 600 missing in Butte County and surrounding areas, where the average household yearly income is $43,000, well below the national average of $53,482. In addition, in Butte County 200 incarcerated people are being forced to fight the fires for $1/hour.
To protect their mansion worth $60 million, Kim Kardashian and Kanye West hired private firefighters, which are often used by the ultra-wealthy and insurance companies.
On Wednesday, the singer Pink’s husband, former professional freestyle motorcross racer Carey Hart, made headlines for posting an Instagram photo of him and a large group of white men wearing bandanas and masks, carrying guns and a sign, "LOOTERS WILL BE SHOT ON SITE! P.D.C. POSSE."
To protect these wealthy residents’ property, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and Ventura County Sheriff's Department both announced that they have dispatched at least 200 officers to further militarize the area and arrest looters.

Don't worry, they might hire you to be a firefighter or a bodyguard if you're lucky.

If it's your stuff that's gonna burn, well, tough poo poo.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Evil_Greven posted:

How the rich will survive climate change disaster
No, this isn't a repeat of previous articles on this same thing.

The Camp Fire has hit middle-class neighborhoods, while the Woolsey Fire has impacted numerous celebrities and wealthy residents in Ventura County and wealthy suburbs in Los Angeles County. The Woolsey Fire has caused three reported deaths in the impacted parts of Los Angeles County such as Malibu, where the average household yearly income is $128,712, and in Ventura County, where the average household income is $100,000. In contrast to these wealthy areas where celebrities have reportedly been hiring private militia for their insured mansions, the death total has risen to 63 with over 600 missing in Butte County and surrounding areas, where the average household yearly income is $43,000, well below the national average of $53,482. In addition, in Butte County 200 incarcerated people are being forced to fight the fires for $1/hour.
To protect their mansion worth $60 million, Kim Kardashian and Kanye West hired private firefighters, which are often used by the ultra-wealthy and insurance companies.
On Wednesday, the singer Pink’s husband, former professional freestyle motorcross racer Carey Hart, made headlines for posting an Instagram photo of him and a large group of white men wearing bandanas and masks, carrying guns and a sign, "LOOTERS WILL BE SHOT ON SITE! P.D.C. POSSE."
To protect these wealthy residents’ property, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and Ventura County Sheriff's Department both announced that they have dispatched at least 200 officers to further militarize the area and arrest looters.

Don't worry, they might hire you to be a firefighter or a bodyguard if you're lucky.

If it's your stuff that's gonna burn, well, tough poo poo.

It's like these guys are speedrunning the Guillotine. Christ. That is the most FYGM thing I have heard in a while..

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Private firefighters are something I didn't realize existed and now I'm more mad.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Mr E posted:

Private firefighters are something I didn't realize existed and now I'm more mad.

What's worse is that the insurance companies also hired them to protect their more valuable insured properties. You bet your rear end that if your house was burning down next to them then they wouldnt lift a finger to help.

It is a callback to how firefighters used to be organized:

quote:

The United States did not have government-run fire departments until around the time of the American Civil War. Prior to this time, private fire brigades competed with one another to be the first to respond to a fire because insurance companies paid brigades to save buildings.[4] Underwriters also employed their own Salvage Corps in some cities.

They operated more like street gangs. They often started fires so they could put them out and rioted and fought other engines in the streets of cities while the block burned around them, poo poo was wild.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 20, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Libertarianism is a brain disease.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Evil_Greven posted:

Well at least they make it convenient

i bet not one of these dumbos has read a book in 20 years

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Feral Integral posted:

Until now I'd only read descriptions of this picture and now I'm just loving furious. Lol at anyone whose ever gotten all :decorum: about guillotine chat itt

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

What's worse is that the insurance companies also hired them to protect their more valuable insured properties. You bet your rear end that if your house was burning down next to them then they wouldnt lift a finger to help.

It is a callback to how firefighters used to be organized:

They operated more like street gangs. They often started fires so they could put them out and rioted and fought other engines in the streets of cities while the block burned around them, poo poo was wild.

That's how it's been for most of history

quote:

The first ever Roman fire brigade of which we have any substantial history was created by Marcus Licinius Crassus. Marcus Licinius Crassus was born into a wealthy Roman family around the year 115 BC, and acquired an enormous fortune through (in the words of Plutarch) "fire and rapine." One of his most lucrative schemes took advantage of the fact that Rome had no fire department. Crassus filled this void by creating his own brigade—500 men strong—which rushed to burning buildings at the first cry of alarm. Upon arriving at the scene, however, the fire fighters did nothing while their employer bargained over the price of their services with the distressed property owner. If Crassus could not negotiate a satisfactory price, his men simply let the structure burn to the ground, after which he offered to purchase it for a fraction of its value.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Feral Integral posted:

i bet not one of these dumbos has read a book in 20 years

Who wears a loving N95 mask to a gun fight? :cripes:

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Rime posted:

well they are dummies but I think that's for the "fire" fight

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

StabbinHobo posted:

- some math on how the oil majors measure & value their "reserves" and how existing reserves already wildly exceed the carbon budget and therefore it is mathematically unavoidable to bankrupt/bailout the big oil gas and coal companies

Supremely interested in this tidbit, as a thing.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Rime posted:

The air in much of the area has been unsafe to breathe. Have a number of folks in my facebook feed posting selfies in particulate masks of various quality so that seems comparably normal.

If we wanna talk about the practical failings here, none of these dudes have armor or weapons that don't have a manual action and it would take maybe 4 dudes who have been in an actual gun fight to convert them from gangster larpers into a pile of wealthy corpses.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yep. Plenty to mock, but that's like the one thing they're doing right. The air out here has been poo poo for weeks.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Actually they're doing it wrong, because far-right militia types deserve to get smoke inhalation.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

The ozone hole over Antarctica is healing

The Ozone hole is healing; but at a slower rate than predicted because someone is releasing chemicals banned inder the Montreal Protocol. My bet is on China. Overall, this is good news though. The Montreal Protocol is working.

quote:

The Kigali Amendment, which takes effect in January 2019, addresses chemicals used to replace those banned by the Montreal Protocol. Replacement hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), commonly used in the air conditioning units of cars, are not as long-lived as CFCs and do not destroy ozone, but have greenhouse gas properties up to several thousand times more potent than carbon dioxide.
With the Kigali Amendment in place, we could avoid global surface temperature increases of between 0.2 to 0.4 degree Celsius, according to the assessment.

This is what interests me the most about this article. Anyone have any insight regarding them chemicals the ammendment addresses?

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 22, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

friendbot2000 posted:

My bet is on China.

I hear this anecdotally from vessel crews. All the old refrigerants you can still get in China.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

friendbot2000 posted:

The Ozone hole is healing; but at a slower rate than predicted because someone is releasing chemicals banned inder the Montreal Protocol. My bet is on China.
There were news articles confirming it was China back in July :confused:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

friendbot2000 posted:

The Ozone hole is healing; but at a slower rate than predicted because someone is releasing chemicals banned inder the Montreal Protocol. My bet is on China. Overall, this is good news though. The Montreal Protocol is working.

This is what interests me the most about this article. Anyone have any insight regarding them chemicals the ammendment addresses?

It's not a mystery, it's loving china.

https://www.livescience.com/63953-china-using-banned-ozone-substance.html

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jul/09/mysterious-source-of-illegal-ozone-killing-emissions-revealed-say-investigators

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I never read those articles, but its really loving annoying how they omitted that in the article.

Edit: In the article, I linked they just said an East Asian Country and went "it's a mystery!"

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 23, 2018

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
the fire has come to my neighbourhood

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

incredible flesh posted:

Stay safe! :ohdear:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I listened to a great BBC documentary podcast today about how China has destroyed the formerly sustainable fisheries of Senegal and Mauritania: they've bribed corrupt Mauritanian officials "signed deals" permitting industrial trawling fleets to hoover up everything aquatic and turn it into fish meal in factories, which is then exported back to China for use as fertilizer. Since Mauritania needs those sweet sweet fish, they deployed gunboat diplomacy to cut off Senegalese access to the fisheries.

The collapse of the fisheries has been, unsurprisingly, a major contributor towards Senegalese immigration to Europe, particularly Spain. Sardinella represented 70% of the protein in the average Senegalese diet, and artisan fish processing was the primary job source for women.

Africa's Fish Famine. 55 minutes, very eye-opening.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fisheries collapse is probably the single most glaringly blatant and obvious example of how "global warming" isn't really the problem is just the first big symptom of the problem (too many of us / psycho religion of growth)

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm safe in my swamp, it's actually many miles away

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Rime posted:

I listened to a great BBC documentary podcast today about how China has destroyed the formerly sustainable fisheries of Senegal and Mauritania: they've bribed corrupt Mauritanian officials "signed deals" permitting industrial trawling fleets to hoover up everything aquatic and turn it into fish meal in factories, which is then exported back to China for use as fertilizer. Since Mauritania needs those sweet sweet fish, they deployed gunboat diplomacy to cut off Senegalese access to the fisheries.

The collapse of the fisheries has been, unsurprisingly, a major contributor towards Senegalese immigration to Europe, particularly Spain. Sardinella represented 70% of the protein in the average Senegalese diet, and artisan fish processing was the primary job source for women.

Africa's Fish Famine. 55 minutes, very eye-opening.

Occasionally I think I've found a bottom of some sort, a depth below which we cannot sink, then something like this comes along. It seems there is always more. (or less, as the case may be).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Republicans look at China and Oligarch Russia and get hard ons wishing they could be anything on the same level of depraved towards humanity as a whole.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

jeeves posted:

Republicans look at China and Oligarch Russia and get hard ons wishing they could be anything on the same level of depraved towards humanity as a whole.

No, Republicans look at China and Oligarch Russia and get hard ons wishing they could institute the same level of responsible investor-led regulation-optional market freedom at home.

If the market fails and it turns out there’s no actual responsibility then that’s a regrettable mistake which will be fixed as soon as possible*.

Rationalisation is a hell of a drug and you should never underestimate how much the peoplein charge of disastrous policy outcomes will convince themselves that actually they’re doing the right thing/eh it doesn’t matter because X/ah poo poo it’s too late but nobody could have possibly seen it coming.

*first by decades long denial, then by tokenism and minimal charitable contributions, with anything requiring effort or government intervention postponed until an effectively infinite number of market friendly solutions have been tried

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

incredible flesh posted:

Have you considered raking the forest floor like a responsible person?

Real Talk: Stay safe bud. As a fellow Californian, my heart loving hurts for y'all in that inferno's path.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

E; my bad old post response. As you were.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 23, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The Fourth National Climate Assessment report was quietly released today, for obvious reasons.

Not a super great outlook for the USA. :science:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

The Fourth National Climate Assessment report was quietly released today, for obvious reasons.

Not a super great outlook for the USA. :science:

Here in the Midwest it predicts a drop in agricultural production to 1980s level. And "substantial loss of life" by mid-century. So that's cool, glad our government is just gonna slip this report under the door and flee the area immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Evil_Greven posted:

A lot of bullshit

I'm a local of Ventura county and I'm calling bullshit on this article.

The average income is more a reflection of the grossly unequal distribution of income here than an accurate reflection of the diverse communities.

e.g., the Hill Fire threatened condos, housing for the elderly, and trailer parks in Camarillo Springs along with a well off community built just outside CSUCI. And our firefighters fought to save them all equally. Meanwhile, cops get deployed to prevent robberies because people commit robberies during disasters as crimes of opportunity. The Kardashians definitely weren't paying for the aerial firefighting there.

Meanwhile, the Woolsey fire started outside Newbury Park. Newbury Park north and south of the 101 are like too separate world's with mansions in the south and LA style apartment complexes to the north.