Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yawgmoft posted:

Holy hell you already built yours? I just got mine on Tuesday.... And immediately threw it into the backlog pile. Sigh... I think the base jumper is coming in this week too...

I never carry a backlog because I already have limited space, so I build as I get things. Also I tend to marathon builds- I started building it yesterday at about 6pm and other than 8 hours of sleep I was pretty much just clipping, filing, and piecing until about 10am this morning. Then an hour of loving decals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Well that at least makes me feel better... Slightly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

K Prime posted:

I never carry a backlog because I already have limited space, so I build as I get things. Also I tend to marathon builds- I started building it yesterday at about 6pm and other than 8 hours of sleep I was pretty much just clipping, filing, and piecing until about 10am this morning. Then an hour of loving decals.

I did the Geara Ghirarga in an afternoon in a hotel room. That tail will have you longing for MG Zaku tubes.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I HATE THOSE loving TUBES.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Speaking of MG Zakus.... PROGRESS!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Xaerael posted:

This thing has FAR TOO MANY THRUSTERS.

No such thing!

Does it have enough struts though?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The thrusters aren't that bad, there's a lot but it's pretty quick and straight forward.

The secondary arms on the backpack however.....

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Got an MG GM Sniper II for my secret santa for the reddit gunpla page. Not bad.

Sent off an Mg full armor thunderbolt gundam and an rg banshee norn to my guy. I'll likely do it again next year, it was pretty fun.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Got an MG GM Sniper II for my secret santa for the reddit gunpla page. Not bad.

Sent off an Mg full armor thunderbolt gundam and an rg banshee norn to my guy. I'll likely do it again next year, it was pretty fun.

If you still have the money to spare you could also enter ADTRW's secret santa.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Puddin posted:

The thrusters aren't that bad, there's a lot but it's pretty quick and straight forward.

The secondary arms on the backpack however.....

It's mostly a case that because I've learned a lot of painting effects from SFX pros that I know that metals aren't a uniform colour. as a result, there's 4 different metallics on each of the thrusters, and I had to stop myself from doing a heat-treatment pass with inks.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Xaerael posted:

It's mostly a case that because I've learned a lot of painting effects from SFX pros that I know that metals aren't a uniform colour. as a result, there's 4 different metallics on each of the thrusters, and I had to stop myself from doing a heat-treatment pass with inks.

Black.

I painted mine black. :)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Puddin posted:

Black.

I painted mine black. :)

Fine. But let's say you see a red door. What do you want then?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Can I go half and half?

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Speaking of painting things black, I think my next project is going to be the EW Deathscythe and I'm thinking about going with a metallic black with a gloss finish. Problem is - it seems a bit weird to use a gloss finish for the entire model, particularly the white parts of the armor. It would also look even weirder if I those white parts dull. What's the general consensus on a situation like this? Maybe find a nice semi-gloss?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Do Gundam instructions come in English?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
More recent ones will but they are fairly self explanatory.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

The newer ones do. I have an SDCS Crossbone with English. The older ones might not.

That said, if you can assemble IKEA furniture or put together a Lego set, you should be able to do a Gunpla without English text. Just follow the pictures.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
You may need a guide to some of the symbols used in instruction which generally mean stuff like "do this first" or "do this last" if a piece is a multipart assembly

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The new ones do, I'm working on the RG Unicorn now and it has english instructions, but for the most part it's like Ikea furniture, just pictograms and a few symbols that are more or less easy to figure out. The hardest part, to be honest, is the ones where the sticker sheet is labelled in Japanese, so you have to look at it like "well this tiny warning label is...the two slash marks and then the...sideways U with the line in it??" and hunt that down on the sheet.

EDIT: Here's a random cheatsheet I found searching reddit, that explains them: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/comments/j5s17/heres_an_english_translation_guide_to_the_symbols/

You can see that they're mostly self-evident, other than the "do this first/last" and the "repeat for other side" ones, which I constantly get backwards in my head. Fortunately the pictures in the instructions are really good, like I think they use the CAD drawings of the actual parts, so you can rely on identifying little gribblies on the part to figure out the orientation if you get into trouble.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 20, 2018

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Work in progress still, but I couldn't resist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ4uS5cgSD4

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I just got me the Zaku sniper, but it's a character name custom, and it had little extra bits that you are supposed to glue on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

The thread OP has a translation of what all the symbols mean. They're generally self-explanatory and, as others have said, all the newer kits from within the past year or two have english instructions.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Honestly even the really old ones are a ton more instructive than Ikea instructions.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

Work in progress still, but I couldn't resist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ4uS5cgSD4

free jazz intensifies

also a work in progress, base suit is done but im still working on the backpack, armor, and weapons

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Y'all made me skimwatch some Thunderbolt. The Psycho Zaku is one hell of a machine, but I forgot that Daryl is a master of doing exactly the right thing in the moment to survive, just by reflex.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Just the weapon decals left to do once the paint has fully hardened. Jesus this thing has a gently caress ton of decals.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Noice.

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1065587025867231234?s=19

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Just bought the MG Sazabi ver Ka

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

God the MG Dynames is a beaut.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I want to see them pull off an MG Virtue/Naudleeh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Robot Damashii Kampfer looks amazing.

And holy poo poo, they made a Nero as well?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 22, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I have the RD Nero Trainer Type and it's really nice.

Also, the whole ver.ANIME range looks really loving good, yeah.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

My local store just got 00 Raiser, 00 Qan[T], and GFFMC Unicorn Metal Build versions. On the one hand, I really want them. On the other hand, jesus christ they cost hundreds of dollars.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

K Prime posted:

My local store just got 00 Raiser, 00 Qan[T], and GFFMC Unicorn Metal Build versions. On the one hand, I really want them. On the other hand, jesus christ they cost hundreds of dollars.

That's the danger of metal builds. My buddy at work loves them and I resisted until they announced the crossbone.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of, if you're in the SF Bay area, strongly recommend checking out the local Gunpla exclusive store, Gundam Labs Hobby in Hayward.

https://gundamlabs.co/pages/warehouse-pick-up

Good selection, great staff, and space to chill and build or paint if you want.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

K Prime posted:

Speaking of, if you're in the SF Bay area, strongly recommend checking out the local Gunpla exclusive store, Gundam Labs Hobby in Hayward.

OH poo poo thanks I didn’t know this existed

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 22, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Welp time to prepare myself for potentially adding another 6 mg's to the backlog, if they do all of Cb's gundams for both seasons.

God help me if they do stuff from the movie.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

K Prime posted:

Null of Undefined posted:

OH poo poo thanks I didn’t know this existed

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

K Prime posted:

:hfive:Hey Bay area builder buddy. Can second that endorsement. Got a RG Tallgeese for 28 and a MG GM command for 42. Best prices I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Syd Mead has a MG Turn X built by the real life Meijin Kawaguchi in his living room

https://twitter.com/nihonmatu5/status/1065875532401696768