Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The part that REALLY creeps me out is the single-paragraph line...

quote:

Sometimes it's a very hard job.

quote:

... It's... VERY HARD

quote:

HARD

If you think of GRRM as secretly actually being Ferengi then you start to understand how hard things really are for him - that he allows women to wear clothes at all in his presence is a TREMENDOUS sacrifice he is making you must understand how difficult it is for him :females:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Martin was on set for the filming of Dany and Drogo's outdoor sex scene. He remarked that one of the horses had a massive erection and expressed boner solidarity.

There is no shortage of creepy as poo poo GURMstory.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

quote:

It’s not like I’ve been on a seven-year vacation. I have Wild Cards books coming out every six months.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Doctor Faustine posted:

Oh my God, source?

Not that I don’t believe it. I just want to read it in his own drat words.

I swear there was something even more specific than the GOT auditions post and was talking about writing more scenes for like Sansa and someone else

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Urdnot Fire posted:

Remember also when GRRM liked Ros (for non-pervy reasons) so much he said he’d write her into the books, but then they killed her off when the actress wanted to stop doing nude scenes?

Yeah I think that might have been what I was thinking about but I still can't (re: don't care enough to search more than like 2 times) find the exact quote.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think that was about Ros, but show-Osha. He liked show-Osha so much, he wanted to write additional scenes for book-Osha, but then show-Osha died.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

I don't think that was about Ros, but show-Osha. He liked show-Osha so much, he wanted to write additional scenes for book-Osha, but then show-Osha died.

Nope. Definitely Ros. He wanted to bring her into the books.

Osha was who he wanted to write MORE scenes for.

Two separate things, both gross.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

To be frank, the entire way in which "Ros" became a major character on the show Game of Thrones and the way in which she was utilized as a character from uh... Well, from her very first scene ALL THE WAY through her memorable final scene was basically gross, creepy, and exploitative from start to finish.

Really, she basically epitomizes the "sexposition" (to use a portmanteau that I positively loathe) that the television show became distinctly known for. I literally can think of one scene she did where she was *not* nude to one extent or another at one point or another, but then I could just be misremembering the scene, difficult to say. I just felt like it was... well, a bit gratuitous and sleazy, the way they utilized her character in combination with the way she got killed off. I mean, I get that the franchise is somewhat known for having irredeemably vile characters doing vile things, but it still seemed like specifically writing and developing this particular character over the first few seasons and then just having Joffrey murder her in some gross way that gave them an excuse to show her DEAD nude body felt especially :crossarms:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
*whispered from my prison cell*

you want a good character but you neeeeed the bad writing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kaworu posted:

To be frank, the entire way in which "Ros" became a major character on the show Game of Thrones and the way in which she was utilized as a character from uh... Well, from her very first scene ALL THE WAY through her memorable final scene was basically gross, creepy, and exploitative from start to finish.

Really, she basically epitomizes the "sexposition" (to use a portmanteau that I positively loathe) that the television show became distinctly known for. I literally can think of one scene she did where she was *not* nude to one extent or another at one point or another, but then I could just be misremembering the scene, difficult to say. I just felt like it was... well, a bit gratuitous and sleazy, the way they utilized her character in combination with the way she got killed off. I mean, I get that the franchise is somewhat known for having irredeemably vile characters doing vile things, but it still seemed like specifically writing and developing this particular character over the first few seasons and then just having Joffrey murder her in some gross way that gave them an excuse to show her DEAD nude body felt especially :crossarms:

I agree
it's a problem in most HBO shows, often even undermining the writing to a huge degree

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
GRRM seems to have hard time describing his new book for non-GoT nerds to understand.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

kaworu posted:

Don't forget that they killed her because she wanted to stop doing nude scenes

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Granted she was on the show for almost two more years after fans attributed that story to her.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

kaworu posted:

Ros stopping nude scenes as soon as she became LFs assistant or whatever which was like s2

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

When did Joffrey die again? Season 4?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah. Early in.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
seemed like forever :allears:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I still remember making this:

Think it was years and years after though.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

That horny casting post was loving 8.5 years ago. Thats older than my loving child.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

That horny casting post was loving 8.5 years ago. Thats older than my loving child.

Don't let them near GRMM

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I still remember making this:

Think it was years and years after though.

little blonddead lordlings are so kawaii :chaostrump:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GodFish posted:

Don't forget that they killed her because she wanted to stop doing nude scenes

Emilia Clarke also had a similar demand, iirc. Or at least that it had to be toned down from the over the top full frontal shots.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's great how every time I think fondly about the show, like Arya or Tywin or just how perfectly Joffrey was played, I remember the beyond-parody sex scenes and how this show will have almost no fans and be incredibly cringe-inducing in a few years.

loving unbelievable that "play with her arse" is a real scene in a show that sells funko pops and nearly as much dumb merchandise as KISS.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's great how every time I think fondly about the show, like Arya or Tywin or just how perfectly Joffrey was played, I remember the beyond-parody sex scenes and how this show will have almost no fans and be incredibly cringe-inducing in a few years.

loving unbelievable that "play with her arse" is a real scene in a show that sells funko pops and nearly as much dumb merchandise as KISS.

Even more unbelievable is that 'play with her arse' is from the best season of the show.

:(

The bar I work at now does GOT viewing parties and dear lord am I ever glad I always work brunch on Sundays. Though it may be worth going just to try and capture some pure, unadultered cringe.

e: goddamnit now i'm thinking about the early seasons and how GOOD some of the changes and additions to the story were. switching out roose for tywin ended in a great pairing with him and arya, or the added cersei and robert scene that felt like something we coulda read if she had been a POV before Feast

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh man, something that will always be great about the show is how loving incredible Lena Headey is.

Like she was basically a prop for Mark Addey to act with in season 1 and she loving stole the scene every time with a line or two.

It loving kills me that the best seasons with the most incredible acting have such unbelievably loving stupid nude scenes to spoil it.

I wish they could reshoot exposition scenes and cut out all the nudity except for the legitimately poignant stuff, like Cersei's walk of shame or the dragon reveal in the season 1 finale.

It's not that I'm a prude, far from it, it's that Jesus Christ the nude scenes are so loving gratuitous and embarrassing.

Also, cut season 5 down to like 4 episodes. Completely remove the sand snakes and add a scene where Tyrion finds out Jamie is in Dorne and discovers Myrcella was poisoned.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh man, something that will always be great about the show is how loving incredible Lena Headey is.

Like she was basically a prop for Mark Addey to act with in season 1 and she loving stole the scene every time with a line or two.

It loving kills me that the best seasons with the most incredible acting have such unbelievably loving stupid nude scenes to spoil it.

I wish they could reshoot exposition scenes and cut out all the nudity except for the legitimately poignant stuff, like Cersei's walk of shame or the dragon reveal in the season 1 finale.

It's not that I'm a prude, far from it, it's that Jesus Christ the nude scenes are so loving gratuitous and embarrassing.

Also, cut season 5 down to like 4 episodes. Completely remove the sand snakes and add a scene where Tyrion finds out Jamie is in Dorne and discovers Myrcella was poisoned.

The only bad thing about Lena Headey on this show is me wishing she were written more like book Cersei-- show Cersei is pretty soft, and I know Headey would have really been able to dig into how loving batshit insane that woman is were she written more like her book counterpart. But yeah she's been one of the best actors since day one, and is p much the best actor left on the show lmfao.

I have 0 problems with nude scenes in general-- gratuitous or otherwise. The issue with the stuff in the earlier GoT scenes was the whole sexposition crap. It was just a lame gimmick for Littlefinger and imo distracted from how bad Aiden Gillen actually is in the role lol.

The funniest part of all the nude/sex/rape/whatever scenes in the show is the weird reputation it has given GRRM and the books for being super pervy ... when there really isn't that much sex in them at all--especially compared to other fantasy series-- and if there is it's usually kind of mentioned in passing. Though the explicitly written scenes being awkward af prob does help make them stand out more, to be fair. Her oval office became the world and all that jazz.

Hell the show even went a step further and took a consensual scene from the book and turned it into rape not once, but twice :lol:

e: also i've never been big on dinklage as tyrion (I think he's gotten worse with each passing season, boy's practically phoning it in lately) but I am forever salted the show robbed me of tyrion and jaime's scene in the tunnels. god all the lannisters are so fuckin whitewashed in this show, tyrion especially

esperterra fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 23, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I was just about to say--gawd I hope they don't ruin Cersei's glorious downward arc with some more gratuitous stupid poo poo or "comedy" but I didn't want to jinx it. so thanks?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
To put it simpler:

Varys and Littlefinger meeting in a brothel and LF telling exposition to his nemesis in a cat and mouse game for plot's sake and informative to the viewer, while there's incidental boobs, would be perfectly fine, especially given Littlefinger's "prey" is a eunuch and this is a power move. An indirect slap in the face.

Writing a scene where Littlefinger randomly tells the family history of Tullys and Starks while a lesbian anal orgy happens in the foreground is loving STUPID.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

To put it simpler:

Varys and Littlefinger meeting in a brothel and LF telling exposition to his nemesis in a cat and mouse game for plot's sake and informative to the viewer, while there's incidental boobs, would be perfectly fine, especially given Littlefinger's "prey" is a eunuch and this is a power move. An indirect slap in the face.

Writing a scene where Littlefinger randomly tells the family history of Tullys and Starks while a lesbian anal orgy happens in the foreground is loving STUPID.

What about that time there was a sex scene, but then it turned out someone was watching the sex scene through a peep hole while getting a blowjay, but then it also turned out littlefinger was spying on that man as well or something

lmfao

e: oh and he wipes jizz off her face or something

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The only good sex scene is seeing Theon Greyjoy's wangus while he has to smooth talk a rube by pretending the Iron Islands aren't a laughing stock.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
hes not pretending, hes just a doofus who doesnt know anything because he left as a child

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

violent sex idiot posted:

hes not pretending, hes just a doofus who doesnt know anything because he left as a child

Not sure if that makes the world's funniest hangdown scene funnier or sadder.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The ridiculous canned slop sounds of Dinklage’s dink getting slobbered on in the pilot will forever be the funniest part of the show.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Not Tyrion slapping Joff? HBO is like the TV version of any Peter F Hamilton book.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I didn't even think of finding bars that are doing the viewing things. I may actually get a couple friends together and go do that instead of just watching at home for the last few episodes.

Something about being in a room full of people reacting to poo poo happening makes things more fun than watching it with my roommates in silence as they play on their phones. It made the last half of the last season of Breaking Bad amazing. The only problem is there's no natural drink breaks and the episodes are going to be like an hour and a half long.

Hmmm, now I'm rethinking it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Yeah KISS is terrible.

And Rome had equally bad sex scene stuff but it's still overall a good show.

esperterra posted:

The funniest part of all the nude/sex/rape/whatever scenes in the show is the weird reputation it has given GRRM and the books for being super pervy ... when there really isn't that much sex in them at all--especially compared to other fantasy series-- and if there is it's usually kind of mentioned in passing. Though the explicitly written scenes being awkward af prob does help make them stand out more, to be fair. Her oval office became the world and all that jazz.

The sex scene between Danny and Drogo is cringey as hell in the books because its one of multiple scenes of adults have sex with children.

GRRM being a word old perv was magnified by his own creepy LJ posts more so than the show writing though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The scene where whatshisface keeps asking for younger girls....

Bleh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

The scene where whatshisface keeps asking for younger girls....

Bleh

He is killed for it almost immediately.

Danny’s Stockholm syndrome is much worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fair re: GRRM's blog being a big part of him being a creepo.

Yeah the Dany/Drogo scene is p skeazy in the book but I liked it as an introduction to Drogo being different from your typical savage leader dude w/r/t his arranged marriage.