Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Ahh but did you kill the infestation?

Yes. it was very much killed. Along with most my colony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Blight has to be among the most frustrating / threatening events to my favorite way of playing. I build a giant warehouse sized greenhouse to grow stuff year round to support the food and financial well being of the colony in the cold biomes I prefer. A blight is like the perfect counter to that playstyle as it spreads SO FAST and it takes an insane amount of micromanaging to get rid of without just completely cutting all plants in the greenhouse. Also extra annoying because when your peeps cut and replant immediately the replant gets reblighted so you have to disallow sowing while you cut out all the blight. If you don't have enough food reserve or you recently sold of a lot of surplus food or plant matter to a bulk goods trader (my case) just before a blight things can get pretty thin for a 9 person with a large amount of animals colony pretty fast. it takes a few days to regrow food and hay grass to become sustainable again. The baby alpacas and muffalos sustained the colony while colonists hunted rats and fed corpses to the prisoner from the recent raid.

For a fun emergent gameplay story my colony was gifted a cargo pod drop of wooden feet early on in its life. This turned into a great way to practice surgery and incapacitate prisoners. Just install the wooden feet on both legs and then remove them. No matter how upset they get when you feed them corpses/other raw food or harvest their organs; they got no feet so no big deal. Then when you are ready you either take their hearts to sell or sacrifice them to your dark gods for favors without any unnecessary violence.

I can't believe I wasn't adding and removing feet before this. Saves sooo much drama by preventing them from even being able to move much less actually escape and it is great skill building for surgeons. Even when they fail at the surgery they most often accidentally remove the whole leg anyway so win-win.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

more annoying: blight, or hydroponics zzzt?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're building greenhouses why wouldn't you just build them compartmentalized? Building one giant one is really strange because the sunlamps don't lend themselves to that and it's harder to heat.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I just like the pattern it makes

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

OwlFancier posted:

If you're building greenhouses why wouldn't you just build them compartmentalized? Building one giant one is really strange because the sunlamps don't lend themselves to that and it's harder to heat.

You can set them up with a bunch of small sun lamps that don't overlap but extend to each other and fit like a puzzle for maximum coverage. Each sun lamp is its own growing zone which it much easier to change crops / grow a lot of different stuff and helps you know about how much each zone will produce as a small sunlamp has a set number of tiles. You can also do this with larger sunlamps for consistent bumper crops like hops. If all the space in the room is being used to grow stuff due to lamp/zone placement you will still pretty much heat the same amount of total space than if you had a bunch of small rooms. Double up stone walls and create an airlock like you do for your freezer / base entrance and there is not a lot of issue with heating. My large greenhouse has one large heated sunlamp probably like 8 small sunlamps and one heater and it does fine in -15 weather. though a zzt in the room means that you need to act fast because it will get kill your colonist hot in about 30 secs due to the insulation.

I also like to have it all in one big room so that my grower colonists don't have to spend a lot of time traveling to different rooms when it comes time to harvest.

also why ever use hydroponics when you can just throw dirt onto the floor

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 21, 2018

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I think I've hit some weird new bug. Its the end of the winter season and I've been playing without incident. Suddenly I notice all my pawns sleeping on the ground despite having beds assigned to them and ready to sleep in, and nothing in the way. Then I notice several wake up, and go eat kibble in the barn instead of the fine meals prepared for them nearby.

What the hell guys.

Update: Turns out I restricted all the pawns to the animal zone and not all the animals lol whoops

Wrr fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 21, 2018

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That sounds like the best colony.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Imagine being in that colony and hearing the order come down that everyone has to go sleep in the barn and eat kibble and the animals get to sleep in your beds and eat at the dining table.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Four legs good, two legs bad!

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Amusingly, it seems the Agency only gets mad at cult stuff if they also see your colonists in some proximity. I hid my tribal pawns in a corner of the map when I figured an Agency caravan was going to leave because they weren't prepared for all the guns and all, and the entire caravan marched through my laboratory with a forbidden research center, no fucks given.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct

Garfu posted:

Anyone know why my apparel armor stats in the pawn info screen are different from the apparel armor stats in the gear screen?
I see it's just adding up my traits and health conditions. Is it just a display thing? The one in the stat screen just shows any additional armor values?

probably from your clothing under your armor items. it contributes to the total

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Late game ruins exploration with the Real Ruins mod is no joke. I sent a six pawn fully bionic power armor squad to a ruin and found ~35 raiders on arrival, then TWO drop pod raids spawned right after each other almost immediately after. I saved and quit after the second one landed because I was sick of kiting around.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Might have to get it to spice up my late-game.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Speaking of infestations, I've had two games now where hives that hit 0hp don't disappear and still spawn bugs. Had to devmode them out. Bizarro.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

boar guy posted:

blight is fixed with a bit of micromanaging, so hydro zzt. I dislike weather snaps even more, though, heat wave is just so terribly annoying for the length of micromanaging it takes - it's just not economical to build coolers all over the compound..

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Any reason to build with steel?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

If you mean by walls, I'm pretty sure granite is the best in terms of flammability and durability. Plasteel has a higher overall durability, but can be ignited.

I'm not aware of any special properties for steel otherwise.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

boar guy posted:

Hydroponic zzzt is pretty harmless when you have an energy surplus (and if you don't, a blackout and crop loss is only the matter of time). Perhaps you meant solar flare?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Are the ruins like map tiles?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Viva Miriya posted:

Walls, no. Traps, yes, but it's expensive as hell, so wood is good enough most of the time unless you're on a woodless biome.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Viva Miriya posted:

It mines fast, it builds fast, and does not have to be cut into blocks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Also, raged-out prisoners can destroy steel doors with a moist baguette in hand. Seriously, it's no good to build with and so many other important tasks require steel so eh. I always go with stone blocks instead.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Viva Miriya posted:

Steel floors (not concrete, but metal tiles) are naturally clean. (120%) They're better than carpet floors, though worse than silver or gold.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ShadowHawk posted:

Steel floors (not concrete, but metal tiles) are naturally clean. (120%) They're better than carpet floors, though worse than silver or gold.

Even then you're better off with sterile tile for the higher cleanliness bonus, since you can boost wealth and beauty with statues.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That depeds whether you're trying to keep a room clean for quality purposes or you're actually trying to make it sterile.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Cleanliness will almost always be your bottleneck for room quality, unless something's changed.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I quite like whatever mod I have that adds grate floors. They're as clean as sterile (I think?) but only use steel. As a tradeoff they are very ugly so you want to replace them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I gotta admit I slapped metal tiles on a couple of the biggest rooms, because even with cleaning prioritized my dudes will never clean it often enough for it to be perceived as high quality.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I quite like whatever mod I have that adds grate floors. They're as clean as sterile (I think?) but only use steel. As a tradeoff they are very ugly so you want to replace them.

I love putting the grate floors under doors, it's aesthetically pleasing. I don't use sterile tiles or silver anywhere near as much as I should do, I usually just prioritse the hospital and kitchen with them. Anywhere else? I mean, if I have the resources, what else could/should I sterilise?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Research speed will get a bonus from sterile floors too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Once you have enough to spare, hit your rec room, workrooms and bedrooms, since increasing the quality of those will give mood buffs and colonists in a good mood work faster.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Are raids less common in cold climates or is Randy Rough pulling his punches? My colony is rich as hell but without anything to test me it's kinda boring

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There is a lower threshold for humanlike raids, yes. I think it's below -50C, something like that, and if it's too cold the raid simply quietly fails to spawn unless it happened to be from the mechanoid faction.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yeah super cold/hot with default settings gets kinda boring when you're well established on account of no raids. I use this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=954445412 to make raids appear more often. However I edited it to be about 1/3 of the default commonality (20 from 60). Comes out to a raid every 2-3 days... but mostly mechanoids/androids/chaos marines due to the temp.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I had my most balls to the walls base assault in my entire time in Rimworld.

Couple mods in play in. A number of misc. base buildings, a mod that adds an animal species called aerofleet (floating jellyfish that explode upon death and reproduce asexually), expanded events and glitterworld mod.

I had a pirate infestation northeast of me on open plains that eventually spread to 8 bases. My own base was well defended in the mountains, in order to assault it you would need to wade downriver through a gauntlet of traps, manned and unmanned guns. I wanted to destroy these pirate bases, but 8 in a row is a lot, so I sent 15 combat colonists armed for bear. Under original base generation, this was overkill (albeit safe). I only lost one colonist to a stupid mistake of exploding mortars, the rest were ok.

Then I hit a modded base.

Turns out one of the base buildings in the mod is a superfortress. Around 70 raiders, defensive positions, two turrets in every god damned room, a power supply of 40 vanometric cells, chemfuel everywhere... I was seriously outmatched. Oh, by the way, everything in the base was solid gold. Walls, floors, beds, hospital beds, the turrets, etc. So it was an incredibly tempting target to take.

So I got clever. Those aerofleet I mentioned earlier? I have a hundred of them, from a granddaddy aerofleet that self tamed in my colony's early days. No one wants to buy the drat things, so I just let them float around my colony like the ticking time bombs they are. At the very least I send them to nearby settlements for reputation boosts (until I maxed out my rep with all of them). So I loaded two pods with 25 babies and 14 juveniles and pointed them at the pirate base.

Meanwhile, the pirates congregated in the main hall. I fired the juveniles in the main hall, and the babies into the corner the pirates would most likely assault me from. A corner which had turrets and chem fuel. The juveniles hit first, dying immediately and wounding 5 pirates, pissing off the rest. Unfortunately there were foam poppers all throughout the base, instantly extinguishing the fires that were started. The pirates assaulted through the southwestern corner, bottlenecking in a tiny room filled with turrets and chemfuel. I'm certain the design was done this way to make it incredibly difficult to assault the base, because if you run a colonist in they're they'll get shot by turrets, and if the turrets detonate they'll set off the chemfuel. Every entrance in the base was like this.

As the pirates bottlenecked, the baby pod landed. My game froze for 20 seconds, then there was a large explosion. Many pirates were wounded, although none died. But the important part was a chemfuel fire started. A moment later, another explosion rang out and a quarter of the pirates were on fire and the room was cooking. This caused an even greater bottleneck, as the rest of the pirates slowly went through the room trying not to get set on fire. Finally, the last door was open and a pirate charged outside. He noticed a tiny red dot on his chest. Suddenly it seemed like there was a second sun in the sky.

I have never used an orbital bombardment targeter. I'm one of those folks who likes to save things for the final boss. This fortress was a final boss. And folks, I felt like I committed a war crime. The bottled up pirates tried to push through the burning light as their health started going down, then winking out. I thought I had only softened them up. But the fire kept raining down, burning a giant hole in the base. Fires started, poppers popped in vain, only for the fires to start up once more. The red names switched to blue, as the pirates routed. The fire still came down, and blue names began to fade.

Finally the sky darkened, and horrifically burned survivors walked out in a stupor. We gunned them down.

The way inside the base was open, my people had to walk over a carpet of corpses to get inside. There were three survivors, charred husks that still gasped for air, lungs burned by superheated gasses. My doctor stabilized them while the rest of my crew began cleanup. Room by room sweeps, trying to disarm the remaining turrets. Every colonist was injured by exploding turrets. The rooms were so small there wasn't anywhere to hide. Finally we resorted to blowing holes in the golden walls and sniping the turrets from the distance. Of 40 vanometric power cells, only 10 remained.

We probably burned two million wealth in our assault, but it was worth it. Hyperweave, plasteel, over 15,000 gold, power for days. I ordered my colonists to settle so we could dismantle the base. The colonists named the base LootPlains.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tias posted:

heat wave is just so terribly annoying for the length of micromanaging it takes - it's just not economical to build coolers all over the compound..
use passive coolers, from the school of 'good enough'.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Which mod adds a super fortress, I'm super keen on that.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

McGiggins posted:

Which mod adds a super fortress, I'm super keen on that.

Misc. MapGen FactionBase: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=821655202

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Is it true that raiders eventually “learn” where you traps are?

They also are stupidly good at learning your turret reach, especially when doing the sapper attacks. Even if you leave one-square wide corridor they will learn it almost instantly and avoid the firing zones with a spec-ops discipline.