Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou's mom is very strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Just noticed Jiro switched from her little triangles to full-on eyeblack. Not an improvement, IMO.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Mary Annette posted:

Just noticed Jiro switched from her little triangles to full-on eyeblack. Not an improvement, IMO.

Now I'm expecting it to go full Alita eventually.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rhonne posted:

One thing that's kind of annoyed me for these fights is that every one of them have started with Class B getting the drop on Class A and forcing them to fight from a defensive position. Like, I get that we have to establish that Class B is capable and what their quirks are, but it's getting kind of old.

I hope that Deku's match swerves us and it starts with him getting the drop on Monoma's team and forcing their backs against the all.

The constant one-upping feels so much like a Bleach chapter.

In any case I look forward to Bakugou learning the power of teamwork, or I guess in his eyes "keeping your team alive so you win"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The poll didn't get an illustration and this chapter was 13 pages. Hori's still not doing so hot.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I feel like the best outcome narratively would be Bakugou letting himself get captured in order to secure a win for his group.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

FartingBedpost posted:

Fortunately it makes sense here, even if it didn’t in some of the other fights. But I do think it’s gotten stale too.

I’m just hoping it’s not a “Bakugo powers through because he’s better than all these chumps” situation next chapter.

On the other hand, Bakugo is very good and should drive Class Bums into the ground like a loving railroad spike.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
If this is arc is succeeding at anything it's getting me to buy into the rivalry because I'm beginning to hate Class 1B just due to how oversold they're being in this arc.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Clas A is just as upset about this arc as we are

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fabiopenz posted:

Masgastream's translation is much clearer this time too
https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/207/5494/1

Agreed, it looks like they got better about their translations after that rough patch a couple months ago.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Viridiant posted:

If this is arc is succeeding at anything it's getting me to buy into the rivalry because I'm beginning to hate Class 1B just due to how oversold they're being in this arc.

The formula for this arc seems to be Class A comes up with some sort of plan, but it turns out Class B's plan is actually way better and a nearly perfect counter to whatever Class A comes up with, so Class A can only put up a fight by brute force.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kanos posted:

The formula for this arc seems to be Class A comes up with some sort of plan, but it turns out Class B's plan is actually way better and a nearly perfect counter to whatever Class A comes up with, so Class A can only put up a fight by brute force.

And, honestly, ignoring the narrative needs of a storytelling medium, that's a pretty solid lesson to teach would-be heroes. Sometimes you have to just pummel a villain into submission, you can't always outthink them.

I think especially for Deku that's a good lesson to drill in, or at least it would be if that wasn't already the lesson he learned from his past 3-4 major fights.q

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

And, honestly, ignoring the narrative needs of a storytelling medium, that's a pretty solid lesson to teach would-be heroes. Sometimes you have to just pummel a villain into submission, you can't always outthink them.

I think especially for Deku that's a good lesson to drill in, or at least it would be if that wasn't already the lesson he learned from his past 3-4 major fights.q

Deku explicitly doesn't need that lesson because of the major fights you mention. Muscular, Overhaul, and Gentle all consisted of Deku just going "gently caress it", digging deep, and punching even harder.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Kanos posted:

Deku explicitly doesn't need that lesson because of the major fights you mention. Muscular, Overhaul, and Gentle all consisted of Deku just going "gently caress it", digging deep, and punching even harder.

it was really cool and heroic every time he did it though and the series has 'hero' in the title so it makes u think

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

bacon flaps posted:

it was really cool and heroic every time he did it though and the series has 'hero' in the title so it makes u think

Yeah all of these scenes were really good and great, actually. Well, maybe not Overhaul, that fight was kind of whack. Maybe once it's animated.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm still a supporter of the Overhaul fight overall, though it had its weak points. imo those were mostly because of the weekly format though.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Kanos posted:

Yeah all of these scenes were really good and great, actually. Well, maybe not Overhaul, that fight was kind of whack. Maybe once it's animated.

it'll be super sweet. all of deku's big moments have been fantastic in the anime

even though i'm looking forward to mirio's heroic stand far more

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I liked the Overhaul fight and I can't wait to see it animated. Especially the part where Deku goes 100%.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The concept of the Overhaul fight doesn't really bother me and is actually pretty rad, I just had a hard time following the action. One thing about MHA's fights is that Horikoshi usually manages to maintain a wonderful sense of space and location even when people are dashing and bouncing around, so it helps put everything into visual context. The Overhaul fight was a little weird in that regard because it basically took place in the sky.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I didn't like the Overhaul fight for the same reason I was disappointed by the Doflamingo fight in One Piece. It's lame to set up the ruthless mastermind of an organization that they run through their charisma and powerful ability and then also make them unstoppable terminators that can go toe-to-toe with Superman. There is no logical reason that a guy like Overhaul should have been able to take a single hit from Deku and yet they get into a crazy slugfest. And just like Doflamingo just kind of didn't use his manipulation powers directly, Overhaul just kind of doesn't use his human-pasting powers against anyone but underlings and instead just decides to be an Earthbender. There were good parts to both fights but overall they are immensely disappointing.

The new chapter though, aah, I will give it another one to see if it recovers but "The team runs headfirst into a trap and are overwhelmed because Bakugo is a hotheaded idiot but then they're fine because Bakugo learned that he can't do everything himself because he's the strongest, he can do everything himself while saving people because he's the strongest."

Setsuna being Buggy the Clown would have been cool if it didn't follow up both Hawks and Pony and yeah to an extent Meatball Man. Not every quirk needs built-in telekinesis, goddamn.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Both Overhaul and Shigaraki's powers were not good choices for a generally upbeat shonen manga. Though it works better for Overhaul because he's not a villain who will be present throughout the series whose main power will only rarely actually land.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Kanos posted:

The concept of the Overhaul fight doesn't really bother me and is actually pretty rad, I just had a hard time following the action. One thing about MHA's fights is that Horikoshi usually manages to maintain a wonderful sense of space and location even when people are dashing and bouncing around, so it helps put everything into visual context. The Overhaul fight was a little weird in that regard because it basically took place in the sky.

One of my favorite panels in that fight was actually a sky shot after Deku kicks Overhaul up into the air. It plays around with perspective and gives the whole thing a cool sense of scale. That specific shot seemed to confuse people at the time, but it seemed pretty clear to me, so I dunno. I think my only complaint about the way that fight ends, other than half of it actually being boring flashbacks, is the layout of Deku's final punch ends up being kinda meh.

Another thing I can't wait to see is the League's attack on the police caravan. That sequence is loving inspired. It's going to be so amazing to see it animated. Going back and comparing then to now, the drop in layout quality is really obvious. So if the drop in page output and the repetitive fight structure wasn't obvious enough, Hori's really struggling even with what he is putting out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man this popularity poll makes so little sense. No Mina, Gentle, or La Brava.

quote:

1: Bakugo: 16,915
2: Todoroki: 15,719
3: Izuku: 8,301
4: Hawks: 3,756
5: Kirishima: 3,573
6: Best Jeanist: 2,649
7: Momo: 2,426
8: Endeavor: 2,420
9: Iida: 2,394
10: All Might: 2,278
11: Aizawa: 1,740
12: Ocaco: 1,629
13: Present Mic: 1,436
14: Shindo: 1,239
15: Gang Orca: 1,238
16: Kaminari: 1197
17: Ojiro: 951
18: Aoyama: 823
19: Tokoyami: 811
20: Tsuyu: 797
21/22: Jiro: 598
21/22: Shishikura: 598
23: Shinso: 587
24: Shigaraki: 481
25: Overhaul: 458
26: Mirio: 455
27: Nighteye: 373
28: Dabi: 368
29: Tamaki: 343
30: Fatgum: 319

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
How is it that Mirio is rated under Overhaul. One was a breakout character of that arc and the other an overpowered bland villain with a generic motive that dragged down that arc.

Mirio should get more credit than that just for providing a counter point to Deku having the typical inherent heroic destiny. Additionally the fact that he's visually interesting and has real personality should really put him higher.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

we shouldn't really presume the tastes of Japanese fans necessarily line up with the western fandom's.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

E. Revenant posted:

How is it that Mirio is rated under Overhaul. One was a breakout character of that arc and the other an overpowered bland villain with a generic motive that dragged down that arc.

Mirio should get more credit than that just for providing a counter point to Deku having the typical inherent heroic destiny. Additionally the fact that he's visually interesting and has real personality should really put him higher.
I can't explain this either. He's not traditionally handsome thanks to his Vault Boy face, but he's still buff and he's shippable with Tamaki so I don't know why he's so far down when Present Mic checks the same boxes and he's way up at 13. Seniority, I guess.

I also had no drat clue who 14. Shindo was until I looked him up and I guess he was a handsome minor antagonist during the Provisional Exam arc. There's no way to avoid it due to how the mediums interact, but man the anime's influence on popularity polls does suck sometimes.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man this popularity poll makes so little sense. No Mina, Gentle, or La Brava.

fujis dont give a gently caress about mina breakdancing or the 30's failson whos dating a girl who barely got out of high school, and I agree with them

the overhaul thing is you can ship him with shigiraki OR magician man and have cute yaoi pics of them armless holding each other like naruto and sasuke or something

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

drjuggalo posted:

fujis dont give a gently caress about mina breakdancing or the 30's failson whos dating a girl who barely got out of high school, and I agree with them

the overhaul thing is you can ship him with shigiraki OR magician man and have cute yaoi pics of them armless holding each other like naruto and sasuke or something

La Brava is 21 and they are not dating anyway.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
actually she's a thousand years old we're both wrong (also they have to be dating in jail now, that stupid love confession was stupid and that entire arc is worse than this one)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gentle's part in that arc was dumb and also feels long in the dust so i'm not surprised it didn't garner votes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

in conclusion

https://twitter.com/mocarantxt/status/1066150541426860033?s=19

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gang Orca making it to 15 is pretty cool though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New Vigilantes!

This week's chapter: Let's get wasted!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Vigilantes you just make me smile, goodness.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Pop is the best girl in the entire setting and Koichi doesn't deserve her.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It'd be neat to see Pop getting more involved with the other pro heroes. At this point I'm way more invested in the Vigilantes characters than I am in the core manga -- the narrower focus lets their characters develop more than their power levels.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

New Vigilantes!

This week's chapter: Let's get wasted!

was that girl suckin up that other girl's vomit

That's gross as heck!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

was that girl suckin up that other girl's vomit

That's gross as heck!

What, you've never done that with your crushes?

Koichi staying quiet and just awkwardly laughing along with the conversation is very relatable to me.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Caidin posted:

On the other hand, Bakugo is very good and should drive Class Bums into the ground like a loving railroad spike.

Nah, I want something more than just “lol Bakugo wins”

Even if he hasn’t won a whole bunch, Bakugo feels so overhyped imo. Maybe it’s just me and I don’t like him, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FartingBedpost posted:

Nah, I want something more than just “lol Bakugo wins”

Even if he hasn’t won a whole bunch, Bakugo feels so overhyped imo. Maybe it’s just me and I don’t like him, tho.

Bakugo has done nothing but fail since Deku v Baku Round 2. And before that was him getting kidnapped and not doing much.

gently caress off the boy needs a win more than the non-characters of class A like Momo.