Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

it was amazing from beginning to end

Just like you bae <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/1066356199199662085

https://twitter.com/PedanticRomantc/status/1066367400432390144

Gotta love the new trend of pretending to be Japanese so you can forward your racists and anti LGBT views yup

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

japan has had trans people in government since before america did, even.

the fantasy that japan is some ridiculous fairytale land where only conservatives that agree with internet chuds exist is the new 'everyone will be really impressed by my naruto headband!'

frankly its even more of a fantasy because you know what, some people probably would have thought a white guy being into naruto was cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Declined: Transgenderism does not apply to zombies. Furthermore, the current revision perfectly sums up Lily's past life as a boy - Lily, as Masao, was clearly and evidently a crossdresser, because she was a he. Please do not post similar requests. Additionally, no reliable source cites Lily as a transgender, so trying to integrate that element into the article forcefully is WP:OR. It would be a violation of policy.

thanks wikipedia.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile Animate staff interview clearly has the staff saying that Lily she used to be Masao and is no longer Masao and trained her speech as to not sound as a boy. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just happy that Lily can have a second shot. But goddamn that episode still loving wrecked me. :cry:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Yo Endorph, Tamako Love Story was an A++ call. I was smiling through the whole thing! It felt extremely complete to me, in a way that I've tried and failed to describe like five times now. It's lovely, like a lazy river drifting from past to future, and the story just happens to take place when it does. I think my favorite part of the movie is when Tamako looks around her for the first time and really sees how everyone's got their own stuff going on, their own relationships. Just a great film all around, if you have other recs in that vein I'd love to hear them.

e: Oh yeah, while watching Stardust Crusaders I was thinking back to the title of the Konosuba thread, about it being a show about a bunch of idiots playing D&D. Stardust Crusaders kinda feels like a bunch of very smart people playing D&D, and trying to be as stupid as possible. Especially the bit with The High Priestess where they start trying to hit on the stand user when they're stuck in its mouth lmao

klapman fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 24, 2018

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Meanwhile Animate staff interview clearly has the staff saying that Lily she used to be Masao and is no longer Masao and trained her speech as to not sound as a boy. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Has this interview been translated anywhere? I'm happy they've been so unambiguous about it.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Slime did a class change.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
What's the name of slime manga again?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Slime Life.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

slife

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
slifer the sky dragon

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

the fantasy that japan is some ridiculous fairytale land where only conservatives that agree with internet chuds exist is the new 'everyone will be really impressed by my naruto headband!'

People still keep trying to tell me that ZUN is anti-immigration even after he released a Touhou book that was all about mocking people who are anti-immigration.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

klapman posted:

Yo Endorph, Tamako Love Story was an A++ call. I was smiling through the whole thing! It felt extremely complete to me, in a way that I've tried and failed to describe like five times now. It's lovely, like a lazy river drifting from past to future, and the story just happens to take place when it does. I think my favorite part of the movie is when Tamako looks around her for the first time and really sees how everyone's got their own stuff going on, their own relationships. Just a great film all around, if you have other recs in that vein I'd love to hear them
All I really can think of that has that same feel to it is Yamada's other work. Oh, and Hyouka, but that's still a KyoAni show.

Clarste posted:

People still keep trying to tell me that ZUN is anti-immigration even after he released a Touhou book that was all about mocking people who are anti-immigration.
Touhou's cast is like 50% immigrants. Heck some of them are literally people who immigrated to Japan from other countries. And sure some of them are the villains of games but, it's Touhou, they get beaten up once and then are just accepted as part of the community. And the characters openly acknowledge Chinese history and its impact on Japanese culture at a lot of points. ZUN's like, the exact opposite of a conservative, lol. If anything the entire setting of Gensokyo is a way to decouple an appreciation for Japanese folklore and political conservatism.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Girls do their best now and are preparing to end bigotry. Please wait warmly until it is ready.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And beer. Don't forget the beer. :cheers:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
he likes his beers big and his girls frilly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

And beer. Don't forget the beer. :cheers:
Big fan of the gag in Fantasy Maiden Wars where Sanae is like 'and why are we letting children drink!?' while Rumia and Cirno are just chugging on some booze.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Endorph posted:

All I really can think of that has that same feel to it is Yamada's other work. Oh, and Hyouka, but that's still a KyoAni show.

Touhou's cast is like 50% immigrants. Heck some of them are literally people who immigrated to Japan from other countries. And sure some of them are the villains of games but, it's Touhou, they get beaten up once and then are just accepted as part of the community. And the characters openly acknowledge Chinese history and its impact on Japanese culture at a lot of points. ZUN's like, the exact opposite of a conservative, lol. If anything the entire setting of Gensokyo is a way to decouple an appreciation for Japanese folklore and political conservatism.

Yea I think he's said some kinda dumb stuff that can be chalked up to ZUN being ZUN but it's nuts to try to pretend the dude who's majority of work is 'foriegn influence on Japanese culture can be just as fun as ours and if you try to make folklore fit into your weird agenda you're an idiot' is anti-immigrant.

Like, the only qualification he has is 'can I make this cute', he don't care where it comes from if he can shove it in a frilly dress and make it shoot bullets.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

esselfortium posted:

Has this interview been translated anywhere? I'm happy they've been so unambiguous about it.

No full translation yet but I've seen tweets from people I trust for translations quoting the article

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Big fan of the gag in Fantasy Maiden Wars where Sanae is like 'and why are we letting children drink!?' while Rumia and Cirno are just chugging on some booze.
I went to the Touhou wiki and apparently this is a doujin series of SRW-esque games which now I know that I must play.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

I went to the Touhou wiki and apparently this is a doujin series of SRW-esque games which now I know that I must play.
Fantasy Maiden Wars is incredible. The first three games are fantranslated, too, and there's a translation let's play of the fourth one going on right now. It's legitimately innovative in the SRPG genre and has great boss fights (though the powercurve gets kind of obliterated in the fourth game, but that's fine in its own way.) The animations start getting really good by the fourth game too, and of course there's some great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O7tbm0bj1I

They're legitimately some of my favorite games of all time.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn, I love that snare drum sound and those ascending scales on the synth. :swoon:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain Cappy posted:

Hokuto no Ken

The scans suck

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I ended up deciding to catch up on Kengan Asura, I love how dumb this comic is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Goddamn, I love that snare drum sound and those ascending scales on the synth. :swoon:
Yeah, the composer(s?) have a real flair for stuff like that, evoking a real mood with the music instead of everything just sounding like fight music. I'd really recommend the games, or at least reading the let's plays and clicking all the music links.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
FMW is the best super robot war game I will never complete because I keep starting over and over again.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Betty_Kwong/status/1066361954862751744

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Allarion posted:

Starting in 20 minutes, tonight's moview@tch is

https://cytu.be/r/kotori

400 pm PST/7:00 EST/11:00 UTC

Also for future reference for any newcomers for any google drive videos, cytube requires a userscript, using either tampermonkey or greasemonkey depending on your browser, so if you wanna set that up beforehand, just click here https://cytu.be/r/alsokotori

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/self_h8tred/status/1065560760724545536?s=19

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
look at this baffling screen transition from miss sherlock

https://i.imgur.com/hb06sjW.mp4

what does it mean

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

corn in the bible posted:

what does it mean

Clear as a crisp spring morning!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Are they sharing gossip, is a visual metaphor to spilling the tea???!?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
they're getting themselves into some Hot Water

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

Yeah, the composer(s?)

FMW has two composers: Ibiza and Cobu.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

what does it mean
I unironically and ironically love this effect. It's so good

e: fix ur poo poo SA

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I started watching Lain again recently but it had totally scuffed subtitles (like, old styled subs that Plex chewed up and spewed into garbage). Went to see if Amazon had it on Blu Ray and that's been out for four years, so I don't figure there'll be any 20th anniversary rerelease or remaster. It'd be nice if it got the same upscale/rebackgrounding treatment as Haibane Renmei, though. Anyone know if it did?

And then Amazon also suggested me Elfen Lied on Blu Ray :rolleyes:

Which reminds me for whatever reason:

Endorph posted:

idk how to tell you this but the movie where you never actually see anyone directly die, just get covered in snow, knocked off screen, or just get implied death via a burnt village, is much less hardcore than the anime where people explode into violent spurts of blood

like 'kills per minute' is a literally meaningless metric
Facebook was being creepier than usual the other day and showed me my post from a year ago with the actual numbers:

Mulan: 6.95/minute
Elfen Lied: 3.42/minute

Even if half of the 'Disney deaths' were averted, Mulan still comes out ahead, but you're just no loving fun, as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/hb06sjW.mp4

what does it mean
it means someone there is really good at after effects