Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

What the actual gently caress, California?????

Everyone is elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'm talking about this:

https://www.latimes.com/local/politics/la-me-lying-prosecutors-20150201-story.html

But this is the transcript case which is part of the Brady issues I think everyone is talking about.

https://observer.com/2015/03/california-prosecutor-falsifies-transcript-of-confession/

Oh hey, we do this all the time over here! Good to see good ol' California finally catching up with the latest trends

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
How has it not been reversed on appeal yet? And how do they still have a law license?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Speaking of law licenses, is there any chance Cohen doesn’t get disbarred after that plea deal? Assuming he hasn’t lost his license already.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Speaking of law licenses, is there any chance Cohen doesn’t get disbarred after that plea deal? Assuming he hasn’t lost his license already.

Well nested negatives...
Probably not (not going to get disbarred)

quote:

4. a. Any person being an attorney and counsellor-at-law who shall be convicted of a felony as defined in paragraph e of this subdivision, shall upon such conviction, cease to be an attorney and counsellor-at-law, or to be competent to practice law as such.
b. Whenever any attorney and counsellor-at-law shall be convicted of a felony as defined in paragraph e of this subdivision, there may be presented to the appellate division of the supreme court a certified or exemplified copy of the judgment of such conviction, and thereupon the name of the person so convicted shall, by order of the court, be struck from the roll of attorneys.
c. Whenever an attorney shall be convicted of a crime in a court of the United States or of any state, territory or district, including this state, whether by a plea of guilty or nolo contendere or from a verdict after trial or otherwise, the attorney shall file, within thirty days thereafter, with the appellate division of the supreme court, the record of such conviction.
The failure of the attorney to so file shall be deemed professional misconduct provided, however, that the appellate division may upon application of the attorney, grant an extension upon good cause shown.
d. For purposes of this subdivision, the term serious crime shall mean any criminal offense denominated a felony under the laws of any state, district or territory or of the United States which does not constitute a felony under the laws of this state, and any other crime a necessary element of which, as determined by statutory or common law definition of such crime, includes interference with the administration of justice, false swearing, misrepresentation, fraud, willful failure to file income tax returns, deceit, bribery, extortion, misappropriation, theft, or an attempt or conspiracy or solicitation of another to commit a serious crime.
e. For purposes of this subdivision, the term felony shall mean any criminal offense classified as a felony under the laws of this state or any criminal offense committed in any other state, district, or territory of the United States and classified as a felony therein which if committed within this state, would constitute a felony in this state.
f. Any attorney and counsellor-at-law convicted of a serious crime, as defined in paragraph d of this subdivision, whether by plea of guilty or nolo contendere or from a verdict after trial or otherwise, shall be suspended upon the receipt by the appellate division of the supreme court of the record of such conviction until a final order is made pursuant to paragraph g of this subdivision.
Upon good cause shown the appellate division of the supreme court may, upon application of the attorney or on its own motion, set aside such suspension when it appears consistent with the maintenance of the integrity and honor of the profession, the protection of the public and the interest of justice.
g. Upon a judgment of conviction against an attorney becoming final the appellate division of the supreme court shall order the attorney to show cause why a final order of suspension, censure or removal from office should not be made.
h. If the attorney requests a hearing, the appellate division of the supreme court shall refer the proceeding to a referee, justice or judge appointed by the appellate division for hearing, report and recommendation.
After said hearing, the appellate division may impose such discipline as it deems proper under the facts and circumstances
From here

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Look Sir Droids posted:

should have already happened after the first set of felonies he pled to, NY disbars you automatically for a felony conviction

e: hasn't happened yet. maybe they wait until sentencing, idk

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 30, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

should have already happened after the first set of felonies he pled to, NY disbars you automatically for a felony conviction

e: hasn't happened yet. maybe they wait until sentencing, idk

it looks like it requires the attorney themselves to notify the NY courts of the convictions (and pleading guilty counts) and perhaps the world's worst lawyer screwed up yet another thing

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Speaking of law licenses how do I get people to stop asking me about taking the bar exam if I’ve come to the conclusion that gently caress the bar exam and gently caress the entire legal profession?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

evilweasel posted:

it looks like it requires the attorney themselves to notify the NY courts of the convictions (and pleading guilty counts) and perhaps the world's worst lawyer screwed up yet another thing

lollllll

Toona the Cat posted:

Speaking of law licenses how do I get people to stop asking me about taking the bar exam if I’ve come to the conclusion that gently caress the bar exam and gently caress the entire legal profession?
no one who knows you went to law school is ever going to stop wondering why you wasted three years of your life then didn't bother taking the bar. even if they stop asking, the question will be in their eyes every time they look at you

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Be happy that those people care enough to take an interest in your life and future

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Soothing Vapors posted:

no one who knows you went to law school is ever going to stop wondering why you wasted three years of your life then didn't bother taking the bar. even if they stop asking, the question will be in their eyes every time they look at you

Lmao goddamn

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Can confirm

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Soothing Vapors posted:

lollllll

*mic drop*

There’s the SV we all love.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

still mad I missed Yuns going full Bateman

Meant to lol at this because me too

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

This is as devastating as it is true. I have a good friend who took this path and every time I talk to him I think about it, and every time my law school buddies talk about him it comes up.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Meant to lol at this because me too

Check your PMs.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Check your PMs.

You tease

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hello.

Today my wife was sued in her official and individual capacities. My friends get to defend her. I love law.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

This is how I learned that ken has blocked me.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

lollllll

Well, we're done here folks.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

ActusRhesus posted:

What the actual gently caress, California?????

Some of the prosecutorial misconduct in CA is bonkers.

This is the one that I always remember: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2016/04/alex-kozinski-and-the-ninth-circuits-crusade-against-prosecutorial-misconduct.html

You might have seen the oral argument embedded in the article. It is ominous.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This is how I learned that ken has blocked me.

Any idea what the catalyst was?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lol there was likely actual electoral fraud in the North Carolina 9th Congressional District race. Get excited.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

Any idea what the catalyst was?

I've been pretty critical of him. I think some speech is so reprehensible or dangerous it must be restricted (e.g. Advocating for genocide).

But mostly I'm just an old school shitposter.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

But mostly I'm just an old school shitposter.

I want to see you @ Tom Nichols.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Soothing Vapors posted:

still mad I missed Yuns going full Bateman

It was an arm. Prominent cephalic vein, really well defined deltoids. Yun's whole arm probably has less fat than my hand.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

It was an arm. Prominent cephalic vein, really well defined deltoids. Yun's whole arm probably has less fat than my hand.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

joat mon posted:

It was impressive

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Soothing Vapors posted:

Jesus Christ, man.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Toona the Cat posted:

Jesus Christ, man.

You made your choices

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
My colleagues in a courtroom this morning waiting for the judge (at 8:38) to start some 8:30 routine stuff:

https://youtu.be/A75icqf9M6w

That poo poo was intense. Our building had huge cracks in it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Soothing Vapors posted:

vox you son of a bitch you better govern urself accordingly

Oh also for the record it was also building on the ice cream puns.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
https://i.imgur.com/tfTGEH5.jpg
No I wasn't going to wake up my wife on a Saturday to recreate the entire photo.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 8, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Are you on any sort of TRT?

I’m finally recovered from hip surgery and am getting back into lifting and rolling again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Glitchy forums won’t show my last post!

Thar she blows.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are you on any sort of TRT?

I’m finally recovered from hip surgery and am getting back into lifting and rolling again.
Nope no TRT or PEDs. All natty my whole life including now in my late 40s. It's a point of pride for me to outwork all the guys on TRT. Literally the only supplements I use are Optimum Nutrition Whey and just regular centrum vitamins.

I hope you have a speedy recovery Mr. Nice. It's awesome that you're back to rolling. BJJ is one of my favorite things. I turned down an interview offer from GE Capital years ago because it would have required me to be in Connecticut and stop training at Renzos.

edit:
By the way, I switched to a new even stupider schedule about a month or so ago. I got tired of lifting at night so now I lift in the morning:

2:30 am - wake up and check email and have breakfast
4:00 am - lift weights
5:30 am - shower and change
6:00 am - train to the city
7:00 am - jiu jitsu training
9:00 am - shower and change and take subway to the office
9:30 am - at my desk

the rest of my workday is pretty conventional but now I go to sleep between 9:30 to 10:30 pm.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 1, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Nice!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I can understand the enthusiasm for rolling at least, did it a fair bit in uni and that was probably the first time in my life I was sincerely fit. Like abs fit. Fun as hell even if I sucked at it and mostly just injured myself. BJJ is diffucult. At least I was better at that than boxing, I had the hardest time getting my head into hitting someone.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Yuns posted:

edit:
By the way, I switched to a new even stupider schedule about a month or so ago. I got tired of lifting at night so now I lift in the morning:

2:30 am - wake up and check email and have breakfast
4:00 am - lift weights
5:30 am - shower and change
6:00 am - train to the city
7:00 am - jiu jitsu training
9:00 am - shower and change and take subway to the office
9:30 am - at my desk

the rest of my workday is pretty conventional but now I go to sleep between 9:30 to 10:30 pm.

Siri, what does hell look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I thought it's going to suck to wake up at 5:30 to do AM lifting when I'm allowed to get back to the gym in 1.5 months, but this does not seem sustainable at all
(although my perception might be skewed because there's like 6 hours of daytime here during 8 months of winter)

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 1, 2018