Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Are we eva shitposting now? cause

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'm glad it's getting a new dub. If they throw decent money at it--and they should, it's a Classic of Anime--it could be better. Let's see how some new VAs approach it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Wait a new dub was part of the announcement?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

jit bull transpile posted:

Wait a new dub was part of the announcement?

No but Amanda Winn Lee pretty much said it's getting a new dub and that she wasn't asked to audition as Rei.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MagusDraco posted:

No but Amanda Winn Lee pretty much said it's getting a new dub and that she wasn't asked to audition as Rei.

Good. A decent English dub might actually convince my wife to watch it. It's the only reason she would watch bebop.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
hosed up, I like the English dub. It's part nostalgia, part hammy.

e: i cant wait for misato to say "yaas kween slay" to asuka

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 1, 2018

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I found the dub admittedly pretty rough for the first six episodes or so, but it really improved from there, and I definitely preferred it to what I've heard of the sub. I've got no objection to a redub, but it'll be a shame if the original isn't at least included alongside it. Considering whatever rights issues are likely causing this to begin with though, I doubt that'll happen.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It might suck but at least we won't get those stock slime sound effects in EoE this way...at least I hope so

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I always liked the original dub, and I sometimes think Macavery's Gendo is better than Swasey's.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Shoehead posted:

It might suck but at least we won't get those stock slime sound effects in EoE this way...at least I hope so

Yeah but that means we'll probably miss out on the jssdf dude telling the flamethrower guy to hit em again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zartosht posted:

:wrong: That scene, and in fact all the CGI in the rebuilds, looks like total unmitigated rear end. Like it's seriously embarrassing that a group of experienced professionals thought it was acceptable to put out something that ugly.

Sahaquiel looks like something from a loving Ps1 game. I've been rewatching Babylon 5 recently, and it's 20-year-old CGI looks leagues better than the rebuilds'.

I'm actually 100% cool with the Rebuild CGI being off. You know, since these are otherworldly creatures and something has to be off about them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I always liked the original dub, and I sometimes think Macavery's Gendo is better than Swasey's.

Agreed in regards to MacAvery. He was drat good at that role.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If they're not bringing the old cast back, like they have for Rebuild, I'd just as much rather they didn't bother redubbing it. New audiences will enjoy it, but my dumb rose tinted ears would never accept it. I fully understand that's a failing on my part, though.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 1, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Subs > Dubs

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

In Training posted:

Subs > Dubs

This but I feel that a lot of people are attached to the English dubs, as much as I don't prefer them. I just hope there's some option to retain them the next time there's an actual release of a blu-ray set in the US.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’ve never watched the dub in my life

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wanna know my thoughts about the dub? Well, the truth is

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I have a soft spot for the old Eva dub even though it's really bad, and still mentally associate those voices with the characters, even though it's really bad. But the Japanese audio track is a much better experience. Scenes that always parsed as extremely corny fared a lot better when I rewatched with the original audio's less-hammy line delivery.

So I'm glad Netflix is redoing it, both because the old dub from ADV gives a really bad first impression of the show, and also just because I'm curious what an entirely new approach to these characters will sound like.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Still no new info about the fourth movie yet?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
yeah it's never coming out like aoki uru and aim for the top 3

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Didn't Aim for the Top 3 get announced a couple months ago? Pretty sure I heard something about that.

4.0 might come out someday, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is from back in July and I'm unsure if I'm missing any new news on it, but apparently (I know, lol ANN et al), the 4th movie is coming out on 2020. Maybe as a 25th Anniversary of sorts? :shrug:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Agronox posted:

I'm glad it's getting a new dub. If they throw decent money at it--and they should, it's a Classic of Anime--it could be better. Let's see how some new VAs approach it.
The classic Sailor Moon was re-rubbed on Hulu and it just wasn't the same without all the really bad voices embedded from my childhood.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I don't know if I would like a re-dub of Eva, like I guess i'd certainly watch it but Spike Spencer just *is* Shinji to me. The ultimate whiny sad sack rear end brat. Its the whole reason I prefer the dub to the japanese language version.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

then perish

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Sick fucks admitting they watch dubs itt yeesh

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd feel bad if Tiffany Grant doesn't get to be Asuka again that's a bit sad because she really, really loves playing that character

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I'd feel bad if Tiffany Grant doesn't get to be Asuka again that's a bit sad because she really, really loves playing that character

Perhaps too much?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Perhaps too much?

Where are you even posting

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's perfect for such a boisterous character.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The biggest problem for me vis a vis watching Eva subbed is that Netflix has absolutely loving garbage subtitles that are white with almost no drop shadow, so they are physically painful to read with my hosed up eyes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The biggest problem for me vis a vis watching Eva subbed is that Netflix has absolutely loving garbage subtitles that are white with almost no drop shadow, so they are physically painful to read with my hosed up eyes.

You can adjust Netflix's subtitle settings. The options aren't quite as powerful as I would like (you can't have windowless subs with really thick outlines, for example) but you can change their color and put a solid or semi-transparent colored box behind them.

https://www.netflix.com/subtitlepreferences

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
If Tiffany Grant doesn’t get to play Asuka again, she will likely commit murder openly.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Eva dub rounded into form p quickly although the first few eps are a little rough. Bebop and Eva are def 2 dubs I will watch anytime, along with Gundam Wing.

Now I can't lie that 90% of ADV's late 90s early 2000s dub work is the same 5 people, but credit to those VA's for riding that anime wave for their careers.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
There's a decent chance that ADVs original dub is in legal hell or expensive enough that's it's cheaper to redubbing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Didn't Gainax kind of sucker ADV and set an expectation that even poo poo-rear end anime would get a huge licensing fee in America?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1070132945870974978?s=19

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Better hands than yours, anyway! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Wait, new director?