Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I just drove through the Rockies and gently caress me, it looks like September out there. Last night was the first time it went below Zero in my hometown, usually that happens before Halloween. I was doing 130km/h most of the way because the highways were summertime conditions and it was barely below freezing out.

Shits hosed, yo. We had bare years growing up but this is the worst any locals have seen in the past twenty years. There's loving grizzly bears still awake. It's loving December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Rime posted:

I just drove through the Rockies and gently caress me, it looks like September out there. Last night was the first time it went below Zero in my hometown, usually that happens before Halloween. I was doing 130km/h most of the way because the highways were summertime conditions and it was barely below freezing out.

Shits hosed, yo. We had bare years growing up but this is the worst any locals have seen in the past twenty years. There's loving grizzly bears still awake. It's loving December.

What a time to be alive.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Rockies are a strange place in the winter. High up in the mountains it's snowy and miserable, but the foothills will be pretty dry. There will be a few dumps of snow across winter that stick for a while, but then all the snow comes in spring. It's weird.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
I am a 22 year old who could afford to go to Medical School somewhat comfortably. I am strongly considering becoming a Doctor, but I am wondering what sort of professional skills would be useful for society as a whole as our climate worsens and society begins to collapse. What career paths would be the most in need in the coming decades? More doctors is obviously always good but would that actually be very useful as the infrastructure around medicine starts to fall apart?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Not an Owl posted:

I am a 22 year old who could afford to go to Medical School somewhat comfortably. I am strongly considering becoming a Doctor, but I am wondering what sort of professional skills would be useful for society as a whole as our climate worsens and society begins to collapse. What career paths would be the most in need in the coming decades? More doctors is obviously always good but would that actually be very useful as the infrastructure around medicine starts to fall apart?

Doctors were valued even when all they did was stick leeches on people and give them horrible infections with unsanitary bone saws you'll be good.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 4, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Of course after the collapse anyone with two brain cells to rub together will probably be able to say that they're a "doctor" and bullshit it pretty convincingly and we'll be right back to leeches and blood letting again. Make sure you have a nice bonesaw at least.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on the one hand I wanna say "be a doctor!"

on the other hand it such a stupid loving question maybe you shouldn't?

edit: be a doctor for the rich

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Bernie town hall on Climate change right now...
https://www.facebook.com/senatorsanders/videos/215455359346439/

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oh boy this won't possibly be disappointing.

None of the visible 2020 candidates are particularly aggressive on climate change and it is disappointing.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

StabbinHobo posted:

could you please explain why its a "stupid loving question"?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Not an Owl posted:

could you please explain why its a "stupid loving question"?

Because medical professions aren't going anywhere. Any essential service is still going to be a thing, even in a fascist state, because the ruling class will still need those services. Teachers, doctors, firefighters, etc. will still be a thing, but they'll be there to serve the ruling class, rather than the entirety of society.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

berenzen posted:

Because medical professions aren't going anywhere. Any essential service is still going to be a thing, even in a fascist state, because the ruling class will still need those services. Teachers, doctors, firefighters, etc. will still be a thing, but they'll be there to serve the ruling class, rather than the entirety of society.

Okay, fair, but thats obviously true. I'm wondering what skills/professions I could learn in order to be the greatest service to society as a whole I can in the breakdown thats coming.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

StabbinHobo posted:

Also, what happened to leaving your bad attitude at the door? I asked a simple question, there's no need to be hostile.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
surgery is always going to be an in-demand skill. always. unless we literally all go extinct there'll always be someone who needs it and can afford it. same with dentistry, obstetrics, sexual health, pharmacology, etc. going into medicine is never going to be a bad decision, no matter what the future is - the only time it's a bad decision is if your personal talents don't lie in medicine and you're wasting your time on it for cultural/financial/egotistical reasons instead of making a difference in whatever your destined area is (ask me about my family wanting me to be a doctor lol)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Also (IMV and subject to debate here), it's not like the world is going to literally collapse and plunge us back into the loving dark ages if you live in a first-world, developed nation. There will totally be a need for doctors, people able to pay for them, and a place in society for it. If you actually want to be a doctor and have run the general numbers on cost of medical school + your odds of successfully matching for a residency and think it's a net positive, go for it. Don't plan your future around the world ending and nothing mattering; every possible play is a losing hand that way.

quote:

surgery is always going to be an in-demand skill. always. there'll always be someone who needs it and can afford it. same with dentistry, obstetrics, sexual health, pharmacology, etc. going into medicine is never going to be a bad decision, no matter what the future is - the only time it's a bad decision is if your personal talents don't lie in medicine and you're wasting your time on it for cultural/financial/egotistical reasons (ask me about my family wanting me to be a doctor lol)

Agreed with the horrifying hellbird who posted this, whatever that thing is.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
a medical degree is a great way to get yourself into a survivalist compound too

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"have you a need for one who heals the spirits of lovelorn fools via immersion in her callipygian embrace"

"gosh, do we ever"

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sundae posted:

Agreed with the horrifying hellbird who posted this, whatever that thing is.
it's a baby egret

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

If you learn carpentry and upholstry you can definitely moonlight as a surgeon too.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oxxidation posted:

"have you a need for one who heals the spirits of lovelorn fools via immersion in her callipygian embrace"

"gosh, do we ever"
as of last thursday i'm also officially qualified to de-salinate fields

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Not an Owl posted:

Think about where in the world today doctors are most critically in demand. Then realize how dumb your question is.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
everyone stop being nasty to the new guy, nobody needs to feel insecure here, you're all very intelligent and you're all special to me in my heart

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Please read the OP if anyone needs a drat refresher on how to act like decent people in this thread.

New guy, welcome. All questions are encouraged in this uncertain climate times.

Edit: Incredible Flesh, baby birds are all pretty much horrifying hell beasts

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

friendbot2000 posted:

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Get the gently caress out of this thread with that cute poo poo.

....no, wait...please don't.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Daily__Owls/status/1062648564596252672

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Another take I’d like to see is “If you kill off your customers who will buy your crap then”.

The latest Hitman game of all things has a mission set in this castle in an island where a bunch of 1% preppers gather to discuss all the latest gadgets to outlive societal collapse. There's only one dude who still clings to climate denial despite everything: an ultra-conservative coal baron who was also one of this prepper society's founders. One hilarious scene has one of the targets literally walk up to him apropos of nothing and mess with him saying that if society collapses and these rich assholes are all that's left, the result with be a tiny egalitarian colony with no economy, i.e. communism. The coal baron is in utter shock and goes "THIS is what I spent nearly two billion dollars on?"

"Fight climate change or the communists win!" You could probably troll some Fox News viewers with that.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

incredible flesh posted:

surgery is always going to be an in-demand skill. always. unless we literally all go extinct there'll always be someone who needs it and can afford it. same with dentistry, obstetrics, sexual health, pharmacology, etc. going into medicine is never going to be a bad decision, no matter what the future is - the only time it's a bad decision is if your personal talents don't lie in medicine and you're wasting your time on it for cultural/financial/egotistical reasons instead of making a difference in whatever your destined area is (ask me about my family wanting me to be a doctor lol)
Its funny because I'm moving towards med. school. (albeit in my own way ) and more and more of my decision is being painted with climate change. By the time I graduate the whole environment will be noticeably different. I'm wondering how much of my personal statement should include references to c. breakdown.

Otherwise, does anybody else reckon we'll see a dip in climate coverage on the guardian/etc. next year? I feel like for the past half decade I've paid attention to its prevalence its been on a sine wave.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Probably we'll start seeing a lot of "hey, guys, it's not so bad!" and "check out this technology that's probably not feasible at industrial scales at all!" articles soon. Any time there's a spate of doom and gloom honest articles in the mainstream press it always seems to be followed up by a wave lot of unrealistically positive ones.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Lampsacus posted:

Its funny because I'm moving towards med. school. (albeit in my own way ) and more and more of my decision is being painted with climate change. By the time I graduate the whole environment will be noticeably different. I'm wondering how much of my personal statement should include references to c. breakdown.

Otherwise, does anybody else reckon we'll see a dip in climate coverage on the guardian/etc. next year? I feel like for the past half decade I've paid attention to its prevalence its been on a sine wave.

Coverage chills out in winter when less things are on fire or inundated. Thankfully you can always check the other hemisphere.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

friendbot2000 posted:

Get the gently caress out of this thread with that cute poo poo.

....no, wait...please don't.
my quail are actually tangentially almost on-topic for this thread. they're an ecology project. i'm working on large-scale land rehabilitation/reforestation. local quail subspecies are a keystone prey type for pretty much everything bigger than a lizard on every continent in the world except antarctica, and because of their biology they're easy to breed and rewild en masse. when you're starting out with nothing (like a mine site rehab where you only have bare sand and grass if you're lucky), getting a patch of shrub/tussock landscape going and a booming quail population is going to bring predators from miles around, and most of those predators will poo poo out seeds on their way across the post-mining moonscape and some might even stay to enjoy the bounty of the land. (quail are inherently tragic because of their role in the ecosystem and i have no choice but to get emotionally attached to them because it's the only way to understand their simple selves and because when they hatch they look like that. they break my heart.) i'm only studying japanese and chinese quail at the moment but i'm hoping to be able to get a colony of australian natives soon, i just need to convince someone to let me build a semi-free-range aviary on their property and then i can start a breeding stock. anyway that's the story behind the quail, thank you for your time

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

incredible flesh posted:

my quail are actually tangentially almost on-topic for this thread. they're an ecology project. i'm working on large-scale land rehabilitation/reforestation. local quail subspecies are a keystone prey type for pretty much everything bigger than a lizard on every continent in the world except antarctica, and because of their biology they're easy to breed and rewild en masse. when you're starting out with nothing (like a mine site rehab where you only have bare sand and grass if you're lucky), getting a patch of shrub/tussock landscape going and a booming quail population is going to bring predators from miles around, and most of those predators will poo poo out seeds on their way across the post-mining moonscape and some might even stay to enjoy the bounty of the land. (quail are inherently tragic because of their role in the ecosystem and i have no choice but to get emotionally attached to them because it's the only way to understand their simple selves and because when they hatch they look like that. they break my heart.) i'm only studying japanese and chinese quail at the moment but i'm hoping to be able to get a colony of australian natives soon, i just need to convince someone to let me build a semi-free-range aviary on their property and then i can start a breeding stock. anyway that's the story behind the quail, thank you for your time

That is fascinating and please keep the thread updating on your quailcology project!

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I was wondering what sort of technology humanity would need to survive in the harsh environment we can look forward to in the coming decades. Does anyone know if theres a good place to read about this kind of stuff?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

friendbot2000 posted:

That is fascinating and please keep the thread updating on your quailcology project!

This thread needs a shitload more posts like that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

nickmeister posted:

I was wondering what sort of technology humanity would need to survive in the harsh environment we can look forward to in the coming decades. Does anyone know if theres a good place to read about this kind of stuff?

Savings accounts, sea walls, and air conditioning?

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for because there's nothing in particular that we're going to need to "survive." The effects of climate change are going to make things lovely in a lot of ways in a lot of places, but not in unheard of ways. The areas that are really going to get hosed aren't going to be salvageable with any kind of technology because they'll mostly be suffering from a loss of farmland and available water.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, look up what waters the Canadian Prairies.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

German Company called Greenpeace Energy is trying to gradually buy up all of Germany's coal plants and lignite mines building renewables in their stead and working to restore the land damaged by the open pit lignite mines. Their plan involves absorbing all the workers from the coal plants and mines and putting them to work in renewables and land management.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2018/11...-of-renewables/

https://reneweconomy.com.au/greenpeace-energy-bids-to-buy-german-brown-coal-generators-and-replace-with-renewables-55525/

quote:

Additionally, the project would result in 441 million fewer tonnes of CO2 compared to current RWE plans, and save social costs resulting from climate damage of around €60 billion. By as early as 2020, emissions would fall by around 13 million tonnes of CO2, and by 2030 by 338 million tonnes of CO2.

This is....interesting. I came across some research of scientists trying to artificially restore sea ice in the Arctic. This is a bit of a hail mary, but weirder poo poo has happened.
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2016EF000410

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 5, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Analysis: Fossil-fuel emissions in 2018 increasing at fastest rate for seven years

quote:

Hopes that global CO2 emissions might be nearing a peak have been dashed by preliminary data showing that output from fossil fuels and industry will grow by around 2.7% in 2018, the largest increase in seven years.

The new data, from researchers at the Global Carbon Project (GCP), is being published in Earth System Science Data Discussions and Environmental Research Letters to coincide with the UN’s COP24 climate summit in Poland. The rapid increase in 2018 CO2 output from fossil fuel use and industry follows a smaller 1.6% rise in 2017. Before that, three years of flat emissions output to 2016 had raised hopes that emissions had peaked.

Continued emissions growth in 2019 “appear[s] likely”, the researchers say, driven by rising oil and gas use and rapid economic growth. While some progress has been made, they add that the world has not yet reached the point where the energy system is being decarbonised fast enough to offset economic growth.

Posted without comment, as I generally regret chiming in in this thread.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Mozi posted:

Analysis: Fossil-fuel emissions in 2018 increasing at fastest rate for seven years

Threads under new management bruh. Chime away as long as you follow da rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Mozi posted:

This is most disappointing but, honestly also expected. China and India keeping growing and they will get their energy wherever they can, which unfortunately still means lots of coal. I had a heard a lot of hub-hub about those two countries trying to switch away from coal because their citizens are literally choking to death, but I don't know enough details to see if that is actually going to start happening.

Truly disappointing is the U.S though, which grew by 2.5%. I don't know if that has anything to do with the Trump effect. I want to see if states at least under Democratic control (which to be fair is where the majority of people and economic activity in this country are) are dropping or leveling off.