Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What are some go-to, accessible mass-market-ish books on the French revolution? My grandpa has always been huge into one specific niche of history (the US civil war), but lately he's expanded a bit... first going into the time period around American independence, and now I'd like to try to nudge him into some extremely important Euro history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Drone posted:

What are some go-to, accessible mass-market-ish books on the French revolution? My grandpa has always been huge into one specific niche of history (the US civil war), but lately he's expanded a bit... first going into the time period around American independence, and now I'd like to try to nudge him into some extremely important Euro history.

Once again - I haven't read up on this, but I am enjoying the Revolutions podcast and there's a massive bibliography that Duncan used.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Drone posted:

The Oxford History of the French Revolution is a complete historical account and the 3rd edition just came out.

Citizens is usually recommended BUT it’s definitely narrative history telling a specific story, and that story doesn’t cover everything and it ends before the Revolution does. It ends after Thermidor and doesn’t cover the Directory at all. Which is bad if you want a complete account of the Revolution.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Oxford History of the French Revolution is a complete historical account and the 3rd edition just came out.

How decent is it for an exclusively pop-history audience in terms of accessibility?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I think it's ok. Though, I've also heard it described as a "catalog of atrocities."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Minenfeld! posted:

I think it's ok. Though, I've also heard it described as a "catalog of atrocities."

Well I mean, that’s kind of what happened.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

That sounds badass

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Minenfeld! posted:

catalog of atrocities

but enough about the french revolution,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well I mean, that’s kind of what happened.

I mean every event can be boiled down to a catalog of atrocities if you want too.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
particularly the ones that involve repeated massacres

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

particularly the ones that involve repeated massacres

I said every event yeah. You would be hard pressed to find some that don’t.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
there are plenty of events that don't involve massacres. most, even. i just went to the gym and came back without decapitating any nuns, for example

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the french revolution brings out a particular kind of person with severe brain lesions who's willing to cheerfully step over mounds of slaughtered civilians while opining that you can't break an omelette without cooking a few eggs or whatever. it's bizarre

e: i also love the braindead kind of relativism it takes to get to "well everything involves a little bit of massacre" because it works to excuse literally every historical occurrence while simultaneously preventing you from taking a moral stance on any of them

like there are ways to defend the french revolution but that's uh not one of them

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 4, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

the french revolution brings out a particular kind of person with severe brain lesions who's willing to cheerfully step over mounds of slaughtered civilians while opining that you can't break an omelette without cooking a few eggs or whatever. it's bizarre

e: i also love the braindead kind of relativism it takes to get to "well everything involves a little bit of massacre" because it works to excuse literally every historical occurrence while simultaneously preventing you from taking a moral stance on any of them

like there are ways to defend the french revolution but that's uh not one of them

Agreed. It's defensible to say that in some cases it's necessary to do something as destructive as revolt, and that some revolts are strongly to the good on balance. But it's a case of committing an evil to avoid a greater evil (outside of palace coups which can be bloodless). But some seem to have no cognisance that something wrong will be involved, and take positive glee in the idea.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

geez, you guillotine a few thousand filth spattered aristocrats and clergymen and 300 years later there's some guys on a web site still whining about it? settle down nerds.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
More importantly on the pro-revolutionary tally, Louis XVI was a straight man who wouldn't bang his hot wife because of some penis condition that could've been easily fixed by a procedure like circumcision he was too scared to have done. Extremely hosed up to have such a guy as a leader.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The further we destroy the living planet the further back in history do we have to go to find examples of an ethical society. I'm currently at the Albigensians because I have the delusion that sustainable farming is possible

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Neurosis posted:

More importantly on the pro-revolutionary tally, Louis XVI was a straight man who wouldn't bang his hot wife because of some penis condition that could've been easily fixed by a procedure like circumcision he was too scared to have done. Extremely hosed up to have such a guy as a leader.

He had two sons and two daughters, so there was at least some of that happening.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Epicurius posted:

He had two sons and two daughters, so there was at least some of that happening.

Yeah apparently it was some really awkward poo poo where a bunch of people would be in the room and Marie Antoinette would lie there while he inserted himself and baaaareeellly moved because it hurt his dick to do so. It sounded awful for everyone involved.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

"Merry Christmas grandpa, here's a book I found for you about Louis XVI's cock!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neurosis posted:

Yeah apparently it was some really awkward poo poo

Yeah:
Finally in 1777, Emperor Joseph, Holy Roman Emperor and Marie Antoinette’s older brother, arrived for a six week visit designed in part to sort the couple out. He spoke to both his sister and brother in law.

We know of the advice he gave a couple from a letter that Joseph wrote to his own younger brother. Louis it seemed, was able 'to have strong, well conditioned erections',(3), however was unable to carry out the sexual act. Joseph stated that ‘this is incomprehensible, because with all that, he sometimes has nightly emissions, but says plainly that what he does, he does from a sense of duty but never from pleasure.' The Emperor stated quite frankly that if he had a chance to solve the problem sooner Louis, “would have been whipped so that he ejaculated out of sheer rage like a donkey”.(2).

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

scholarship is heavily entwined with reputation and being shown to be bugfuck crazy casts doubts on both

making GBS threads on his rivals through amazon reviews is more petty and small-minded than it is crazy. I suppose greed is like a kind of madness, but I can imagine a historian being greedy and small minded and petty but also being a good historian. That said, I haven't read anything by this Orlando guy so I can't really say whether or not he's valuable as a resource.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Is there a general reader book on the poo poo that’s happened economically since 1980? Or 70s? Neoliberalism in general? If you look at all kinds of economic charts of wages, debt, etc etc, they all seem to have an inflection point around 1980. I got curious to the scene in hypernormalization where the banks exercise political power over NYC by refusing to renew bonds. But it’s an Adam Curtis movie. I’m looking for something a little more sober and less agitprop-y.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is there a general reader book on the poo poo that’s happened economically since 1980? Or 70s? Neoliberalism in general? If you look at all kinds of economic charts of wages, debt, etc etc, they all seem to have an inflection point around 1980. I got curious to the scene in hypernormalization where the banks exercise political power over NYC by refusing to renew bonds. But it’s an Adam Curtis movie. I’m looking for something a little more sober and less agitprop-y.

I haven't read it but David Harvey's A Brief History of Neoliberalism might do the trick for you.

I have read Mark Blythe's Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea and it isn't exactly what you're looking for but it's pretty close and it's legitimately incredible.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Ron Jeremy posted:

. I got curious to the scene in hypernormalization where the banks exercise political power over NYC by refusing to renew bonds. But it’s an Adam Curtis movie. I’m looking for something a little more sober and less agitprop-y.

This isnt so much a look at the whole question of austerity, but if you're interested in the fiscal crisis in New York City with the banks refusing to renew bonds and such, there's Kim Phillips-Fein's "Fear City: New York's Fiscal Crisis and the Rise of Austerity Politics".

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Any recommendations pertaining to the occupation of France during WW2?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I've got a kind of unconventional suggestion, which is David King's "Death in the City of Light", which is about the hunt for a serial killer in Paris during the occupation. It largely focuses on the murders and the investigation, but along with that comes complications of the occupation...the military authorities and the Gestapo and their relationship with the Paris police, the relationship between occupied France and Vichy France, questions about collaboration and resistance, the Holocaust, and all sorts of other issues. Spoilers for those interested in some of the irony inherent in the situation.

A lot of the people that the killer, Marcel Petoit, murdered were Jews and resistance members....he ran a fake escape route, where he said he had ways to get people out of the country for a fee. He'd actually take their money and kill them. So you had the police and Gestapo hunting down somebody who was murdering Jews and members of the French resistance, while at the same time, the police and Gestapo were hunting Jews and members of the French resistance in order to murder them.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
recommendations for a biography of Huey P. Newton?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Sarah Farmer's Martyred Village is pretty good. It's about one incident in June 1944 when the Germans marched into a village, killed everyone present, and burned it to the ground. Farmer looks at how and why this happened, and then the long life of this event in French memory, because it was chosen for preservation as a symbol of the occupation. So it's a book about the occupation, but it's also a book about France's national memory of the occupation.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any good books about history of literature?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd like more French Revolution histories that recognize the truth of the famous Mark Twain quote

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'd like more French Revolution histories that recognize the truth of the famous Mark Twain quote

C'mon, which quote, for us ignoramuses?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Count Roland posted:

C'mon, which quote, for us ignoramuses?

Probably from his Connecticut Yankee...

quote:

There were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the “horrors” of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

Twain has his numbers wrong on deaths from the reign of terror, and the time period, but that's the quote. That being said, I don't know of many works about the French Revolution that don't look at the condition of France before the revolution.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Any good books about history of literature?

What literature? And at what level?

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Any recommendations for Bill Clinton's presidency or the 1990's in general?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Does anyone have some suggestions for books on ancient Assyria, Sumeria or Babylon?

Theotus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 28, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Any books out there about the history of persecutions against Jews in Spain leading up to the Alhambra Decree that kicked them out?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn › The History Book Rec Thread!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn › The History Book Rec Thread!

It's a bit of a paradox, in real life it's much easier to talk to people about that neat non fiction book you just read than about your crazy fantasy book conspiracy theory, while on the internet it's exactly the other way around. I don't find it that surprising that we only talk about which history books to read and rarely have discussions about their content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I think a lot of times discussion about the content would gravitate towards the relevant thread elsewhere on the forums (mainly D&D).