Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What’s the published hp/torques?

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/ (click the SR toggle)

Peak torque: 116 ft-lb (157 Nm)
Peak power: 70 hp (52 kW) @ 3,500 rpm

ignore the RPM really, there's no transmission, direct drive to the belt pulley. 0-60 is something around 3.1s but that's really speaking to the bike's strength, power drops off after 80mph and it has trouble getting over 100 (though at my altitude it'll probably go a bit higher).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

right arm posted:

lost the link, but I saved the photo. from like mid september I think?

iirc he was still trying to work out the electrics as he is using a 1290 motor, but I hope he pulls it off just because it'd be incredibly gnarly :D

also idk if those are the original rims that came on that 1190, but you may want to see if you can pick up a set of the new akrondts because the originals they used on the 1290SAT and (possibly) some of the 1190s are uhh butter for motocrossing apparently:

Ahh this is super neat. I'm not too worried about the rims being soft, this bike shouldn't see anything like that kinda use. Mostly just a gravel road blaster and some backwoods singletrack.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ulf posted:

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/ (click the SR toggle)

Peak torque: 116 ft-lb (157 Nm)
Peak power: 70 hp (52 kW) @ 3,500 rpm

ignore the RPM really, there's no transmission, direct drive to the belt pulley. 0-60 is something around 3.1s but that's really speaking to the bike's strength, power drops off after 80mph and it has trouble getting over 100 (though at my altitude it'll probably go a bit higher).

So that’s power delivery like a hot thumper around 700-800 cc? Sign me the gently caress up.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Seasons greetings from Norway.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Okay I realize this sounds stupid but as someone who has only driven sports bikes on dry warm asphalt, how does that work? How do you not die? My first reaction is that the snow would give in right away and they are a tree ornament.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Studs and knobbed tires with m+s rated rubber really really helps. It's totally insane how much studs help. + we ride slow. If it's hard packed snow sole or +2 inches of snow over ice we hit maybe 25 mph. That's for me to ride safely and arrest the front from washing out randomly, which it really likes to do. Clear ice is so much better to ride on, and we may hit 50 mph. Keep in mind that you can't really stop fast either, or do fast course corrections, so I ride passive as gently caress.

My nx250 is pretty drat low and light weight also so dragging legs on real nasty places, like with slush frozen into ice ruts is no problem. I would not do this on something I couldn't flat foot on both sides easily.

It's still 100% focus, but I'm getting much more relaxed now the second winter. + that's why I dress like a snowmobiler, be varm and comfortable so you only focus on the road, not your cold everything.

I image a tw200 on studs would be pretty drat fun, sadly those are rare and overpriced here.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

Ahh this is super neat. I'm not too worried about the rims being soft, this bike shouldn't see anything like that kinda use. Mostly just a gravel road blaster and some backwoods singletrack.

yeah I'm sure you'll be fine, especially since you're ditching a lot of the heavy rear end stuff that exists on an 1190 and I'm just guessing that dude didn't clear a double based on that photo :D

keep posting about it, cause both projects rule

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So that’s power delivery like a hot thumper around 700-800 cc? Sign me the gently caress up.

Hell that's CR500 territory.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No lens flare?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

opengl128 posted:

I really want to try one of those. The closest dealer that sells them never got back to me about a demo ride even though Zero's website made it sound like they have no problem doing them. Wonder if they do demo days.

Other guy already answered but I can give other answers to Zero stuff. I have a fair bit of experience with them.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

LodeRunner posted:

Other guy already answered but I can give other answers to Zero stuff. I have a fair bit of experience with them.

Have the electronics/programming gotten a lot better? I rode a Zero years ago and one of the big issues I had was that the throttle response was horrendous. You could literally count a few seconds before the coding caught up to your wrist inputs. A charger under my desk at work, and one at home would cover most of the area I commute in and leave me plenty if I wanted to go out after work (I work a 10 hour shift.)

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Skreemer posted:

Have the electronics/programming gotten a lot better? I rode a Zero years ago and one of the big issues I had was that the throttle response was horrendous. You could literally count a few seconds before the coding caught up to your wrist inputs. A charger under my desk at work, and one at home would cover most of the area I commute in and leave me plenty if I wanted to go out after work (I work a 10 hour shift.)

Obviously the R models are going to be a lot more responsive with the larger controller but I would say yes, decent throttle response. Also when they switched over to IPM motors in 2015?.. they run a lot cooler as well. Still no traction control, though, so inexperienced DSR owners continue to power through wet turns or hit painted spots of the road and spit the bike out from underneath them.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

It wasn't raining today (which is rare this time of year), so took the XSR out for a spin.

pim01 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 9, 2018

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

it's been cold in portland at 3am lately :o:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For me, even riding in a dry 6 degrees c feels like the road constantly trying to freeze the tyres, it's like walking a tightrope trying to go fast enough to keep some temperature in them but not dying cause it's still cold and humid.

Near zero is a whole nother level of nope.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

right arm posted:

it's been cold in portland at 3am lately :o:

What bike is this? The dash is very nice looking.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I test rode an R1150RT the other day in about 15 degree weather. Electric windshield, heated grips. I wasn't even cold. Amazing experience. Only problem is the bike would be totaled after doing that 3 times in the salt.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

For me, even riding in a dry 6 degrees c feels like the road constantly trying to freeze the tyres, it's like walking a tightrope trying to go fast enough to keep some temperature in them but not dying cause it's still cold and humid.

Near zero is a whole nother level of nope.

I rode gifford pinchot in the literal ice and it was uhh hairy to say the least. rain mode definitely saved my rear end on that heavy rear end bike

Kastivich posted:

What bike is this? The dash is very nice looking.

KTM 1290 SAR. the dash is very nice. I prefer it over the TFT on my 1200 GSA. especially since you can get turn by turn directions from your phone (using the KTM app) mirrored to the dash

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm not normally a fan of weird shaped headlights because manufacturers usually screw them up, but that one looks really sweet

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I'm not normally a fan of weird shaped headlights because manufacturers usually screw them up, but that one looks really sweet

agreed. I wish the same one was used on the 790, but that one looks a bit odd imho

the cornering lights kick mega rear end too. way better than the ones on the multistrada I tried out

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I do not like KTMs, as a general rule.

I really like this KTM. :circlefap:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

HandlingByJebus posted:

I do not like KTMs, as a general rule.

I really like this KTM. :circlefap:

I do too :D

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
how actually capable is that thing offroad? i was impressed by the 990s. the 24 hour enduro i rode earlier this summer had a team with one on it and i think it ended up doing the most laps on their team. their BMW adv bike broke down and had to get towed back to pit, but the africa twin did ok too i think

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

how actually capable is that thing offroad? i was impressed by the 990s. the 24 hour enduro i rode earlier this summer had a team with one on it and i think it ended up doing the most laps on their team. their BMW adv bike broke down and had to get towed back to pit, but the africa twin did ok too i think

really depends on how much dirt biking you've done in your past. all the adv bikes are pretty heavy, but I grew up riding motocross and holding up my dads XR500 while he took smoke breaks out in browns camp so it's nbd for me :D

it kicks rear end though! the shinkos are good on just about everything save for sand and mud, but I've ridden in plenty of both, but it is a slog. the TKC80s it came with were far better for riding singletrack, but I killed those in a bout 1000 miles. 160hp is not nice to those tires. something like a motoz tractionator would probably be ideal on this bike, but I ride far too much pavement to waste money on knobbies

but really, if I wanted a more capable off road bike I'd probably look at the 790 adventure R over the AT. the AT I rode was too boring for being as heavy as the 1290. I love the LC8 too much to step down to KTM's p-twin, but I am attempting to convince a buddy to put a deposit down on one

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

so does that thing just easily power wheelie with barely any throttle in 3rd? How do you not unicycle around with that much power paired with that geometry?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

GriszledMelkaba posted:

so does that thing just easily power wheelie with barely any throttle in 3rd? How do you not unicycle around with that much power paired with that geometry?

haha if you turn off the traction control and ABS and ride around in sport mode, then hell yeah it will

but there's a ton of fancy electronic poo poo that mellows it out a whole hell of a lot. basically you've got:

sport: 160hp, quickest throttle response, least ABS/TC interference on front/rear, but still is there to save your rear end
street: 160hp, normal throttle response, normal ABS/TC (I use this for 2up since it's a bit smoother on acceleration)
rain: 100hp, sedated throttle response, most ABS/TC (kicks rear end in PNW rain since I ride year round)
offroad: 100hp, normal throttle response, normal ABS for front wheel, ABS deactivated for rear (so you can slide the rear on cornering and descents) and TC lets the wheel spin 2x as fast as the front

so yeah. it's quite a different bike in all the different modes, but yes, it'll wheelie all drat day :D

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

right arm posted:

really depends on how much dirt biking you've done in your past. all the adv bikes are pretty heavy, but I grew up riding motocross and holding up my dads XR500 while he took smoke breaks out in browns camp so it's nbd for me :D

it kicks rear end though! the shinkos are good on just about everything save for sand and mud, but I've ridden in plenty of both, but it is a slog. the TKC80s it came with were far better for riding singletrack, but I killed those in a bout 1000 miles. 160hp is not nice to those tires. something like a motoz tractionator would probably be ideal on this bike, but I ride far too much pavement to waste money on knobbies

but really, if I wanted a more capable off road bike I'd probably look at the 790 adventure R over the AT. the AT I rode was too boring for being as heavy as the 1290. I love the LC8 too much to step down to KTM's p-twin, but I am attempting to convince a buddy to put a deposit down on one

ah good to know, yeah the new 790 advr was on the short list. i've been kicking around the idea of selling all my bikes for a nice one that can do the TAT trip across the states. had hoped to do that trip once with my dad before he hangs up riding

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

i've been kicking around the idea of selling all my bikes for a nice one that can do the TAT trip across the states.

DR650 don't cost THAT much. Seriously though, I tried the "sell all bikes for a nice ktm that does everything" and it wasn't all I thought it would be.

On the other hand, it was totally awesome and rad.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

DR650 don't cost THAT much. Seriously though, I tried the "sell all bikes for a nice ktm that does everything" and it wasn't all I thought it would be.

On the other hand, it was totally awesome and rad.

If you know so much about the DR650, why won’t you answer my messages?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Consolidating a fleet of differently abled bikes into one fancy bike that does it all is always a losing gamble in one way or another but I never tire of watching people try it, how you come out the other end says a lot about your personality.

Scenario one is you buy a bike that can pretty much do everything your previous three did to a moderate degree and is reliable and practical. Congrats, you now own a large Honda, the sparkle is gone from your eyes, the world is without wonder, the rest of your life will be spent curating maintenance spreadsheets in Excel and the occasional outraged visit to the dealer to buy an overpriced indicator lens.

Scenario two is you buy a ktm, BMW or ducati that can do most things your previous bikes did to an excellent degree, along with some saucy extra features. Congrats, you have now entered the consumerist vortex of endless accessories, poo poo-talking at the cafe, bench-racing 'advanced' features of questionable utility and rocking yourself to sleep in the fetal position after every parts/repair bill, hysterically mumbling your mantra of superior german engineering/I could race this if I wanted to!/it's got character that moves my sooouuul (select one as appropriate) over and over again.

Some people never climb out of this bucket and just accept being a hopeless middle aged man for the rest of their life (women are smart enough to avoid this poo poo entirely). Others see the futility, decide what kind of riding they like the most, look at their bank account and buy/sell appropriately.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Consolidating bikes never works out, just buy more bikes

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'd definitely rather have more bikes, but I'll still engage in doodling fantasy do-everything bikes on scrap paper when I'm bored at work, because my inner five-year-old demands it and I refuse to grow up.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
ain't nothing wrong with having a nice bike

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

Consolidating bikes never works out, just buy more bikes

this is what I did :D

but the SAR is easily my bike I ride the most. 7k miles on it since buying it in July I think?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'd definitely rather have more bikes, but I'll still engage in doodling fantasy do-everything bikes on scrap paper when I'm bored at work, because my inner five-year-old demands it and I refuse to grow up.

Read Foale's book as mentioned in the other thread and you'll get yet another reminder that a bike that can do everything isn't really possible*, nor particularly desirable. From that it follows that the majority of ADV bikes sell because of marketing-driven fantasy and not their actual qualities, but you knew that already. Seeing as bikes are a compromise between various opposing demands, a longer list of demands always results in a more watery compromise.

In the case of the rather tasty SAR above, you could argue that it's an attempt at a compromise between a dedicated mid-size enduro (so lets say 690 enduro) with a very powerful sport-tourer (superduke GT).

A 690E is itself a compromise between a real dirt bike (lets say a 520EXC) and a regular midsize roadster (duke 690); it's not as good on the dirt as an EXC but can go on the road and handle acceptably, it's not as good on the road as a duke 690 but doesn't embarrass itself on dirt.

A superduke GT is also a compromise between an insane dongbike (regular SD), and a geriatric touring machine (no KTM examples available); it's not as light or nimble as an SD but lacks the giant fairings, pillion accommodation and various other size/weight-adding features of a true tourer.

So if each of these bikes can do their two roles half as well as a dedicated machine, it stands to reason that the SAR is able to do three roles a third as well. This is borne out in reality if you compare the bike to the 'root' bikes above. Compared to an SDGT, the bike has power it can't hope to put down on knobbies nor use at high speeds thanks to the tall suspension and poor aerodynamics, the forks can't fully control the bike at high corner speeds because they also have to function on dirt, the skinny wheels and ADV tyres have poor grip in corners. Compared to a 690E the bike is far too heavy, the tyres are too wide, the suspension lacks plushness and travel because it also has to control a 250kg bike at triple-digit speeds on tarmac, the engine has to be electronically massaged to make it useful on loose surfaces. This doesn't enter into the financial/logistical compromise regarding KTM's specific character, which have less to do with it being an ADV bike and more to do with KTM being KTM, or the general ownership penalties that get worse with increasing weight and complexity.

Damping adjusters, easy preload adjustment, electronic rider aids, advanced tyre construction etc all slightly widen the range of viable compromise (the SAR couldn't have existed as a product before some of these technologies were developed) but can never overcome the fundamental advantages a purpose-built machine has.

Clearly right arm has a riding pattern very well matched to the bike's dynamic compromises and a big enough wallet/other resources to compensate for the rest. How close to middle age are you RA?

Also the headlight looks like a vagina. That's not a value judgement either way, just a statement of fact :colbert:

*:I mean yeah it's 'possible' in the SF sense, so your doodling needs to include dynamically active suspension, tyres/wheels that can change tread and profile on command and a frame with actively adjustable weight distrubution, rigidity, geometry and some kind of ballast system that can jettison weight for dirt use but pile it back on for 200kmh+ speeds. Oh and also an engine with dynamically variable cam profiles, porting etc but we already have that to some degree. If the above were available IRL then a do-it-all bike would be at the top of my shopping list.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

*:I mean yeah it's 'possible' in the SF sense, so your doodling needs to include dynamically active suspension, tyres/wheels that can change tread and profile on command and a frame with actively adjustable weight distrubution, rigidity, geometry and some kind of ballast system that can jettison weight for dirt use but pile it back on for 200kmh+ speeds. Oh and also an engine with dynamically variable cam profiles, porting etc but we already have that to some degree. If the above were available IRL then a do-it-all bike would be at the top of my shopping list.

Either that or it just has to be really cool, for whatever that means at the exact instant I happen to be thinking of it.

I've got no interest in dirt though so my fantasy compromises are limited to "I would like everything that a goldwing is but the size and weight of a ninjette somehow"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It shows how crappy reality often is compared to fantasy, seeing as an effort to build the hypothetical bike you're describing results in the versys 650...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Clearly right arm has a riding pattern very well matched to the bike's dynamic compromises and a big enough wallet/other resources to compensate for the rest. How close to middle age are you RA?

I'm 28, I killed all my youth on dirt bikes and an R6 :o:

but you're 100% correct on everything else! including the vagina/bug light :D