Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pentaghastly posted:

Got sent to voicemail by both my SM and opening shift when I called to ask where the key to lock the front doors from the inside is :)

So we couldn't leave until a loving HOUR after we finished closing. We use allen wrenches to lock/unlock it, but none of the ones up front were small enough. The one that fits is supposed to STAY IN ITS SPOT

I found one that worked by sheer loving luck, tearing apart our back room, but unfortunately I've misplaced it :shrug:

Go to Harbor Freight before your next shift to get a set of Allen keys to keep in your car/purse get metric and standard of hot don't know which it is. They are not that expensive and come in handy. I have a ton of them because I am always losing them by setting them down next to whatever I was working on and walking away. Then you can be the cool kid that saved the day next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's handy to invest $4 and 5 minutes to spray paint your allen wrenches bright yellow or red to make them not so drat easy to lose.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I have a feeling it's less "misplacing them" and more "people walking off with them".

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Yeah, whoever unlocked the doors that morning pocketed them.

By "misplacing" it, I meant I put the key in the safe and told only the person who opened today.

And I realized as soon as I got home that I forgot to set the alarm. I hope they fire me.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Pentaghastly posted:

I hope they fire me.

New thread title.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

New thread title.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's never a good feeling when you walk into your local grocery store to pick up a quick lunch from the deli and the first thing that hits your ears, even before the Christmas music, is a middle-aged woman screaming IT'S NOT MY FAULT! YOU CAN'T BLAME ME!

My retail days are long behind me, thank God, but that took me back in the worst way. :(

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

No, I don't have avocados that are "more ripe" in The Back, I really loving don't.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I asked the spice guy at my local grocery if they had any MSG. He took me to a couple shelves but didn't see it.

I was at the checkout when he came running up and said he found some in the back.

A little different than expensive perishable avocados, though :D

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The AM I inherited whenever I started a year ago just has no idea how to manage people. I end up playing good cop a lot just because he busts balls over the smallest poo poo. We have a small staff of seven people, it's a comic/game store and the owners are mostly sane so it's not like there's a lot of pressure coming down from on high. I'd been working with him on constructive criticism and I thought we were finally in a better place, only to have my MVP employee say that he's fed up and so is everyone else but they're too scared to say anything.

This is so stupid. It's December and I don't need this poo poo. I worked a 60 hour week last week and I still have a massive backlog. Is it that hard not to be a motherfucker? Now I'm going to have to have individual sit down meetings with everyone else, talk to both the owners, and then give him a come-to-Jesus talk. My plan is to tell him that if I talk to everyone again in a month and things haven't changed then he has got to move on.

It sucks because he's an otherwise great employee and a kind person outside of work.

Also if I have to kick out another thirsty nerd for harassing the women who work here I'm going to lose my mind. WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO NOT BE A loving CREEP?

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Rainbow Knight posted:

No, I don't have avocados that are "more ripe" in The Back, I really loving don't.

"Yes ma'am, my backstock is older than what's on the sales floor!"

On the other hand I'm growing really frustrated with my company's "no backstock, ever! ONLY the freshest produce!!!" policy leading to us only ever carrying extremely green bananas and avocados.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

This is so stupid. It's December and I don't need this poo poo. I worked a 60 hour week last week and I still have a massive backlog. Is it that hard not to be a motherfucker? Now I'm going to have to have individual sit down meetings with everyone else, talk to both the owners, and then give him a come-to-Jesus talk. My plan is to tell him that if I talk to everyone again in a month and things haven't changed then he has got to move on.

It sucks because he's an otherwise great employee and a kind person outside of work.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but: it's not going to help. A person is who he is, and that goes double when managing people. You might at best get him to watch his step for a month or two, but he'll inevitably let down his guard over time and drift back to being who he is. You need to just fire him once the rush is over, before you lose your best employees over it.

Assuming, that is, you're absolutely certain he's a dick and it's not that your employees are lazy. I assume that's not the case given your description of the chief complainer being "MVP employee".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

Been working produce nearly 3 years, welcome to my hell :unsmigghh:

And then as soon as they become ripe, you get 1 day of peace before the complaints that they're too ripe comes out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Leal posted:

And then as soon as they become ripe, you get 1 day of peace before the complaints that they're too ripe comes out.

Avocados are an elaborate cosmic joke this way I swear

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its incredibly frustrating cause its not that hard to get avocados set up in a way that gives you a perfect one when you need it, all it requires is preplanning. Buy a few green ones, push taco day back a few days, throw some in the fridge and the rest in a brown bag. Whenever you have taco day pull one out of the fridge and put it in a brown bag. Replenish your stock as needed.

But no, I want taco day today and the store better drat well have the perfectest avocado.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just loving push taco day back a day and eat something else tonight, gently caress :argh:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Eric the Mauve posted:

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but: it's not going to help. A person is who he is, and that goes double when managing people. You might at best get him to watch his step for a month or two, but he'll inevitably let down his guard over time and drift back to being who he is. You need to just fire him once the rush is over, before you lose your best employees over it.

Assuming, that is, you're absolutely certain he's a dick and it's not that your employees are lazy. I assume that's not the case given your description of the chief complainer being "MVP employee".

I know, and I should have done it a long time ago, my hope is that I can convince him to part on decent terms.

No one who works here is lazy, everyone wants to be here despite making garbage pay. I do appreciate his insights and I think he usually has good ideas, but it seems like he's incapable of presenting them without dumping on everyone else. That hurts morale and thus sales way more than incorrectly facing Funko Pops or whatever.

And yeah, I know he's a dick, he usually has the sense to avoid acting that way around me. I'm going to do my due diligence first by checking in with everyone. Boy do I hate firing people.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Boy do I hate firing people.

Everyone who isn't a sociopath hates firing people. And especially people who are raging assholes. But try to keep at the front of your mind how happy your best employees will be about it.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Leal posted:

Just loving push taco day back a day and eat something else tonight, gently caress :argh:

uh I can't not eat tacos on Tuesday. it's the law

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Leal posted:

Oh yeah, it's either a rock or a water balloon.

totalnewbie posted:

I asked the spice guy at my local grocery if they had any MSG. He took me to a couple shelves but didn't see it.

I was at the checkout when he came running up and said he found some in the back.

A little different than expensive perishable avocados, though :D

I mean, it wouldn't irritate me if someone was asking for something that we didn't have on the sales floor, but when they're asking for older product than what we have out, as if we keep it hidden away for the next King of the Britons or whatever, I have to feel like maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe they're not really thinking their request through. :v:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

cephalopods posted:

On the other hand I'm growing really frustrated with my company's "no backstock, ever! ONLY the freshest produce!!!" policy leading to us only ever carrying extremely green bananas and avocados.

How long until they start complaining that you never have enough backstock and are always waiting on a truck?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I had 6 days off in a row thanks to vacation, came back on sunday to the opening manager forgetting to do the deposit, which is flat out the most important loving thing you do when you open, like past everything else. At least I went back to my normal schedule and have monday and tuesday off, because my car just decided to poo poo the bed and the backup vehicle is none the better. :shepicide:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Lmao first full week of December and nearly everyone's hours were cut. A lot of people who usually work 32-39 hours are at 23 hours this week and those who do 25 or so are at 12 hours.

"BUT WE HAVE TO DRIVE SALES" the manager yells into the empty floor locations.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

The Aardvark posted:

Lmao first full week of December and nearly everyone's hours were cut. A lot of people who usually work 32-39 hours are at 23 hours this week and those who do 25 or so are at 12 hours.

"BUT WE HAVE TO DRIVE SALES" the manager yells into the empty floor locations.

My department's hours are also way down, but it's working out for us.
Because we're not being sent anything. Yesterday they sent us no tomatoes, cucumbers, bagged salads, honeycrisp apples, and god only knows what else, and they shorted us on head lettuce.
So, there's nobody here to stock, but there's also nothing that needs stocking.
Just me, wandering the sales floor and answering lettuce questions for 8 hours :imunfunny:

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Our hours are still low, too. And we made $3000 more than projected last week.

I have to get my weird growth removed on Friday (thanks Sbux insurance) but instead of the SM just switching my shift with someone else, he replaced me entirely. 30 hours down to 22 this week. Wonderful.

So now I have three days off in a row for no reason, which is dumb to complain about but my bank account is really feeling this whole "20 something hours a week" thing.

We've been doing rice and beans/breakfast for dinner for the past week since groceries are my biggest expense in the household. It sucks. I hate eggs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

Our hours are still low, too. And we made $3000 more than projected last week.

I have to get my weird growth removed on Friday (thanks Sbux insurance) but instead of the SM just switching my shift with someone else, he replaced me entirely. 30 hours down to 22 this week. Wonderful.

So now I have three days off in a row for no reason, which is dumb to complain about but my bank account is really feeling this whole "20 something hours a week" thing.

We've been doing rice and beans/breakfast for dinner for the past week since groceries are my biggest expense in the household. It sucks. I hate eggs.

No sick time or vacation time (I know it may be a laughable question)?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Duckman2008 posted:

No sick time or vacation time (I know it may be a laughable question)?

Sick time just became a thing at Starbucks not even six months ago. And vacation time is accrued oddly, so Penta might just not have any.

Meanwhile, I'm working more hours than I really want to right now because we lost 2 people in the last month, and I'm the only one whose availability really shakes out to help. I'm not sneezing at the money but gently caress man, I wish I could offer hours to you guys that want em.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Retail management the world over absolutely does that intentionally (cutting hours when an employee requests off) to discourage employees from requesting off, and also to help make them desperate enough for money to submit to being called in for double shifts, on weekends scheduled off, etc.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I didnt even think about sick time. I have some accrued, I'll ask about it

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Asking to use sick time strictly to clock hours you're not working when you weren't scheduled to work when you're not sick is going to be met with a laugh and a no.

edit: didn't see that you do have some kind of health concern so yeah sick time should totally be on the table if it changes your availability unless management are complete fuckheads about it.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 5, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cutting hours in december? Isn't that usually "all hands on deck" for retailers?

Are you one of the grocery store goons? Genuinely curious, I want to know if things are that bleak for retail shops that they're cutting hours in December.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I work grocery and yeah my hours got cut this week. "Only" 4 hours short, but still thats 50 bucks for me. That happens all month, there goes 200 bucks, aka my car loan :smith:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Beastie posted:

Cutting hours in december? Isn't that usually "all hands on deck" for retailers?

Are you one of the grocery store goons? Genuinely curious, I want to know if things are that bleak for retail shops that they're cutting hours in December.

I work at Target. Other stores in my area made like 120-130% of projected sales on Black Friday and we did 95%. Woops.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Scheduled myself 40 hours this week, on track to do 49 hours due to people calling out sick every day so far, including Friday and Saturday last week. It wouldn't be so bad if I could replace hour for hour with sick calls, but that never happens. I'm lucky if I can even get 3 hours replaced out of the 8 hours missing because it's almost always overtime. Of course poo poo doesn't get done because of this and our department continues to look like poo poo because people here keep taking turns getting sick. FML

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

Grocery is erratic, hours wise, and more miserly than big box stores because of massive shrink and small margins.

Grocery hours also usually, almost always, dip, the first week of every month. If you're within a week's distance of a food / party holiday like Labor Day weekend, Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, that's when a lot of grocery stores will start to tool up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There’s a pretty steady supply of food/party holidays in the US every 1-2 months:

Christmas/New Year
Superb Owl (First Sunday in February)
Easter (wildly varies, April-ish)
Memorial Day (last weekend in May)
July 4th
Labor Day (first weekend in September)
Halloween (last weekend in October)
Thanksgiving (last weekend in November)
~loop~

But oddly enough, the three BIGGEST holidays for food sales are all bunched together in the winter (Thanskgiving, Christmas, Super Bowl).

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 5, 2018

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I'm not looking forward to in December is that our closing hours go from 11:30 pm Friday/Saturday to something like 1:30 am. And my phone lit. can't get lyft/uber so idk what I'm gonna do.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
SM told me I can come in Friday evening and/or Saturday and do training for my food handling license to make up lost hours, two birds one stone

A couple of rowdy teenage boys tried to start poo poo with me over iced coffee refills, then carved their initials and the date on one of our tables, and I poo poo you not, left empty juul pods on the floor

I remembered their names and they're on camera, but there will be no consequences, because of course.

The local Cookout has a police presence now because of loitering and littering by said rowdy teenagers, so they've decided to trash our lobby and show off their lifted trucks and litter in our parking lot instead

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My department has 20 bays that need to be refitted by next Friday. The floorplan is changing and we have new fixtures in, so it'll be 2-3 hours per bay (with subsequent bays in a shift taking less time because it's more efficient to tetris fixtures around than to strip and work single bays).

I'm the only person in the department who can do plannograms. I work 6am-12pm most days. This was fine, because I was free to work extra hours Thu+Fri and had a plan for a comfortable 10 bays a week.

Except I just got told I can't do 'real work' after 10am. Only service. And that means I can't even start working on a bay unless I can guarantee it will be finished by 10am, because all loose fixtures have to be off the floor by then and we can't have a ladder out to pull down (or put up) stock.

This limits me to 1 bay per shift, with zero benefit to me staying late. We'll be less than half done by the deadline (and then more plannograms will be rolling out, so we'll start falling behind with them).

I just... :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Do they still make planograms so that some are mirror image?

Because that was always the stupidest loving bullshit. This planogram is right way around, this one is reverse. And this one over here, who the gently caress knows?