Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
much like real pro wrestling the fighters in Baki know how to sell attacks to keep the dramatic tension up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh lol I forgot the Ali Jr. intro was right after the prisoner arc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://mangadex.org/chapter/494215/1

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

hot Baki fashion tip: diapers are slimming

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He's going to get up and explain why sumo palm strikes are way better than wimpy fists

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 3, 2018

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Actually, the best base for Sumo is being a small muscular wrestler, not a fat guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxRcMQ_kH1g

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 3, 2018

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

This claims that Oliva is only as strong as the current (real) worlds strongest man if he can only lift half a ton in deadlifts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6eC_klO21I

Seems like he's scaling back power levels a bit

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zzulu posted:

The biggest complaint I have is the massive focus on The Ogre, the dullest antagonist ever.

I just want to say that this is the most "new Baki fan" statement of all time

Yujiro is many things but he is most certainly not goddamn dull, Yujiro is loving hilarious

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I fluctuate on whether or not I like Yujiro or not but considering certain events in the new series he circles back around to becoming hilarious. I only regret that he's unlikely to ever get his rear end properly beat though because he's been put up on this ridiculous pedestal to the point where he can't ever lose. He's this force of nature that has to be the ceiling everyone's reaching for. He needs to get his stupid, amazingly weird face punched in though because he's such an rear end in a top hat.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just want to say that this is the most "new Baki fan" statement of all time

Yujiro is many things but he is most certainly not goddamn dull, Yujiro is loving hilarious

Yujiro is good when not fighting. Like the scene where Motobe says he's going to protect Yujiro. Or when he does unnecessarily over the top stuff like walking through plexiglass for shits and giggles. That stuff is fun

Yujuro is bad when he's casually owning everyone while the author masturbates about it

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yujiro has some great moments in the Netflix series. His introduction is so over the top and I love it. Also him showing up like a creep and judging his son's sexual performance.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yujiro just constantly dunking on Baki for the most insignificant reasons is reason enough to keep Yujiro around.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zzulu posted:

Yujiro is good when not fighting. Like the scene where Motobe says he's going to protect Yujiro. Or when he does unnecessarily over the top stuff like walking through plexiglass for shits and giggles. That stuff is fun

Yujuro is bad when he's casually owning everyone while the author masturbates about it

My favorite dumb “this man is badass” moment with Yujiro was when he cracked the bottom off a bottle of whiskey, poured it into a stein glass, skulled it, the smoked a whole cigar in one pull.

Mostly because it just made him look like Kramer, smoking and drinking at the same time.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ashing his cigarette by spitting it out and then doing a front flip and obliterating it with his heel is my favorite bit of Yujiro nonsense.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yujiro's the embarrassing dad that you don't want hanging around your friends because he's always trying to show off how cool he is, except he does it by beating them up

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CharlestonJew posted:

Yujiro's the embarrassing dad that you don't want hanging around your friends because he's always trying to show off how cool he is, except he does it by beating them up

I like that Baki doesn’t have a normal kid following him around to play the Everyman like almost every fight manga (and manga/anime in general) ever. Although in true Baki fashion yujiro would accidentally kill them on purpose and then lecture Baki about having stronger friends.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Crain posted:

I like that Baki doesn’t have a normal kid following him around to play the Everyman like almost every fight manga (and manga/anime in general) ever.

Non-fighters, with the single exception of Tokugawa, might as well not exist in the Bakiverse. They cannot affect punchmans in any significant way, nor do they have any rights punchmans are bound to respect.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crain posted:

I like that Baki doesn’t have a normal kid following him around to play the Everyman like almost every fight manga (and manga/anime in general) ever. Although in true Baki fashion yujiro would accidentally kill them on purpose and then lecture Baki about having stronger friends.

Mary Annette posted:

Non-fighters, with the single exception of Tokugawa, might as well not exist in the Bakiverse. They cannot affect punchmans in any significant way, nor do they have any rights punchmans are bound to respect.

That's because that niche is filled by a random passerby/university teacher/retired martial arts teacher who does a longform explanation of whatever random insane thing is done

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Plutonis posted:

That's because that niche is filled by a random passerby/university teacher/retired martial arts teacher who does a longform explanation of whatever random insane thing is done

Don't forget uncontrollably releasing their bowels.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Baki did have a little hanger-on boy when he mind-fought that prying mantis.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

K. Flaps posted:

Baki did have a little hanger-on boy when he mind-fought that prying mantis.

To be fair, that little boy did try to take Baki and thus is on the path to punchman-hood

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like how many of the punchmen are all something resembling friends despite how many of them have grievously injured one another. Actually just in general how they react to losing appendages/most of their faces.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I'm surprised it took Yujiro a bear hug to kill his wife. At this stage he could just pat a normal person slightly too hard and they would explode in a shower of gore.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Glagha posted:

I like how many of the punchmen are all something resembling friends despite how many of them have grievously injured one another. Actually just in general how they react to losing appendages/most of their faces.

Yeah, it's pretty great. They brutalize eachother but as long as it is a good fight, they're ok with it.

Yujiro took Doppos loving eye but now they're hanging out in bars together

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think people who associate with Yujiro just kind of accept that 1: he's a massive prick and 2: he will probably permanently maim you at some point.

If you're the sort of punchman who is okay with this, you will become great friends.

Edit: let's also not forget that time Yujiro just sucker punched (kicked) him because he caught him a tiny bit tipsy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I suppose the "maiming each other then suddenly friends" comes from how much Itagaki loves combat sports, which really focus on the "leave it in the ring" stuff. Like, you try and kill each other while you're fighting, but it's just sport.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I suppose the "maiming each other then suddenly friends" comes from how much Itagaki loves combat sports, which really focus on the "leave it in the ring" stuff. Like, you try and kill each other while you're fighting, but it's just sport.

The entire thing that makes Yujiro hilarious is that he has no concept of what a ring is except "the place where giant pussies go to fight" and just randomly loving murders people for shiggles

Nobody in the cast should be willingly associating with him at all by this logic

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Look, being within a 20 foot radius of Yujiro Hanma is basically consenting to being in a fight anyway. It's hardly like he's a guy you just bump into.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay I'm just gonna say it. As much as I'm enjoying the Baki Netflix series... god drat is some of this animation awful. Like this series seems kinda bad, as much as the Baki punchmans magic keeps me going.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo, that special chapter is something else

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you'd think the man from BC japan would have more of a reaction to seeing a black person

https://mangadex.org/chapter/497540/1

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Jose posted:

you'd think the man from BC japan would have more of a reaction to seeing a black person

https://mangadex.org/chapter/497540/1

Wait...I thought this duder was just the current super sumo dude, not another "blast from the past".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He's the guy who won the first ever sumo fight in like 32bc

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
That was the first Sukune, this guy's the second, his successor in the present day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

really? i thought it was some guy tokugawa resurrected lol. i shouldn't read it drunk i guess

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Jose posted:

really? i thought it was some guy tokugawa resurrected lol. i shouldn't read it drunk i guess

unless his cloning was a thing that happened at the end of the Musashi arc, the current series hasn't really discussed the origins of thicc boy so far

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i haven't fully read the musashi arc because teh translations are all over the place

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Bushmeister posted:

unless his cloning was a thing that happened at the end of the Musashi arc, the current series hasn't really discussed the origins of thicc boy so far

Yeah I went back and read through and there's nothing about resurrection or cloning like in the Musashi arc. They just say he's the second sumo jam.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I got bored of the Musashi arc, how did it end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Pierson posted:

I got bored of the Musashi arc, how did it end?

The punchmen won.