Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

Wait, new director?

Voice acting director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Midjack posted:

Better hands than yours, anyway! :v:

Hey now, that's rude!

But totally fair.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Wait they're redubbing the original show for netflix? I wonder who gets to do unit one this time!

Maybe the first episodes will now sound less like rear end. But then again we'll prolly miss out on :byodood: EVERI MISSILE HIT THE TAHRGETT :byodood:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Mindblast posted:

Maybe the first episodes will now sound less like rear end. But then again we'll prolly miss out on :byodood: EVERI MISSILE HIT THE TAHRGETT :byodood:

Yeah, but if they redo EoE too, we'll definitely lose "Hit 'em again."

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Hopefully, the lore dump about Adam and Lilith in EoE will actually get translated accurately now. (I know that there are other translation inconsistencies, but that is the most glaring one I can think of.)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don't know why any of you maniacs would even watch the dub

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because watching subs honestly sucks, you miss a ton.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I’ve never seen any of the subs for any piece of eva media and i have no intention of ever doing so

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I don't know why any of you maniacs would even watch the dub

Im fine with both! :buddy:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Watched the dub first because I was like 14 at the time, rewatched subbed, both are good.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I'd say the EoE dub is pretty bad but there's so much hosed up stuff happening I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to actually watch it instead of read it

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Bad quality subs aren't as obvious as bad quality dubs. Non-bilinguals struggle to compare performances in different languages, not realizing that the original Japanese is just as hokey and dumb sounding.

What I don't understand is why nobody is doing lip-flaps entirely in CG so they can be quickly rerendered for any translation. I still prefer when nobody gives a poo poo and just makes the language and delivery fit, like Redline.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mindblast posted:

Im fine with both! :buddy:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The core cast for the Eva dub is good, although some needed time to settle in (Allison Keith as Misato starts rocky but ends up fantastic). Spike Spenser may not be good in the absolute sense, but he fits the role to a T.

The secondary and bit characters I'm not going to defend, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Southern twang nerd is a treasure sir.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

It's been a while since I've listened to the dub, but honestly its all pretty alright. The only one that comes to might might be Aoba.

I apparently really like everyone else. I remember the Directors cut episodes got a different VA for Gendo, and that really stuck out.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Old dub Gendo's shouty voice has a certain overlap in my head.

Now I want Hugo Weaving.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

ITS STILL BETTER THAN THE CURRENT PILOT, DO IT

:smith: I remember Robin Williams wanting to star in a live action evangelion

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ohhhhh there's going to be a redub? looking forward to seeing how they gently caress that up

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Give us "HIT EM AGAIN" and we'll call it even

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Give us "HIT EM AGAIN" and we'll call it even

EoE is the only director's commentary I've ever watched, where I picked up such wonderful terms as 'baby batter' and the factoid relating to that line being added.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ranzear posted:

EoE is the only director's commentary I've ever watched, where I picked up such wonderful terms as 'baby batter' and the factoid relating to that line being added.

I like the part where they joke about the truck "coming to life" when it gets hit with the two tank shells or rockets or whatever.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I forgot about that and busted out laughing in a quiet office, thanks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i wonder how EvaGeeks is taking the redub news

they've always been incredibly mad about the old dub to the point of personal hatred for Amanda Winn-Lee

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
fwiw I actually really like the Eva dub except for the one big flub in EoE, which honestly doesn't actually matter that much unless you start digging into the Deep Lore

Gunstav
Nov 27, 2006
I hope they hired the guy who did his own dub of the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol8ickK_YLk

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Gunstav posted:

I hope they hired the guy who did his own dub of the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol8ickK_YLk

I'm trying this now, holky gently caress :tviv:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The shows dub really isn't that bad at all. I totally get the hate over the EOE dub though. They get things completely wrong and add weird profanity where it doesn't need to be.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

i stand by shinji's im so hosed up and misato's so loving what if im not you. what are the other instances of unwarranted profanity?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the year is 2018 and we've long transcended the need for dubs

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RME posted:

the year is 2018 and we've long transcended the need for subs

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

turn on your monitor

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I’ve never watched Eva subbed and I never will.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zeruel posted:

i stand by shinji's im so hosed up and misato's so loving what if im not you. what are the other instances of unwarranted profanity?
I remember Shinji straight up calls Ritsuko's story about Gendo saving Rei from Unit 00 "bullshit" in the dub.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 6, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

turn on your monitor

Subs are kind of a relic of the 90s when it was basically the only way to watch something.

The world has moved on

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the only context in which dubs are excusable is Italian horror movies from the 80s

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dub Misato always makes me smile.

Given that Spike Spencer is a piece of poo poo, I think he's a great Shinji. Why, the only role better for him would be Gendo.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I know it's an anime board but you sick fucks could still reel it in a bit, openly talking about dubs what do you think this is Amsterdam

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean the basic problem with subs is that you're spending time looking at words at the bottom of the screen when you should be looking at the rest of the screen and absorbing it.

The basic problem with dubs is that you're cutting out a huge part of the work in the form of the direction given to the original voice actors, which is just as important as the rest of the stuff that goes into making it.

I'm a fast reader so subs are fine with me, but other people aren't or maybe they don't have as good of eyesight and so it's more difficult. Or maybe it's a stupid show where you just want to watch the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Maybe y'all should nut up and learn Japanese. :colbert:
(Me too :ohdear:)