Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Canadian law firm is running a NCAA-style bracket for the best fictional attorney of all time. I have way too many strong feelings about this.

Vote here: https://www.agpllp.ca/all-time-best-fictional-lawyer-round-1-part-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blarzgh posted:

Also why Sept (7)ember Oct(8)over Nov(9)ember and Dec(10)ember are all off by two nominal months, because they just stuck July(Julius) and August (Agustus) smack dab in the middle to make 12 months.

Related to how Halloween is exactly equal to Christmas, which I first read in Isaac Asimov's "Casebook of the Black Widowers".

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You plebs using an antique Gregorian calendar make me sick. I only use the French Revolution's calendar. Happy du Quartidi of Frimaire, year 227.

This guy gets it. From my office wall:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Happy day of the pig, citizen!

Bonne Quintidi du Frimaire, citoyen!

ulmont fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 5, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Re the comic: I think judges objecting on their own to inadmissible testimony should happen more often. Like, I have to message strategic calls on objecting too much, the harm the testimony will do, the likelihood of my winning the objection, etc. If the judge heard something they think shouldn't come in, I think they should say so.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Re the comic: I think judges objecting on their own to inadmissible testimony should happen more often. Like, I have to message strategic calls on objecting too much, the harm the testimony will do, the likelihood of my winning the objection, etc. If the judge heard something they think shouldn't come in, I think they should say so.

ADVERSARIAL SYSTEM!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here in the D.C. metro area?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

So you definitely didn't get that gov't position, huh?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

Northern Virginia here

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

thehoodie posted:

Canadian law firm is running a NCAA-style bracket for the best fictional attorney of all time. I have way too many strong feelings about this.

My first thought is that there's a surprising dearth of Law & Order (and spinoff) attorneys on the list. Arrested Development (which, don't get me wrong, I love) has three lawyers make the cut. L&O has only two -- tied with Night Court (which is also good, but the L&O franchise has aired something like 1,000 episodes total). I do see the broader arrangement of the categories, but I know I wouldn't have gone to law school if original recipe L&O didn't air four times a day on A&E when I was in undergrad.

Also seems like David E. Kelley is under-represented. I would have thought someone else from Boston Legal would make the cut (Crane or Schmidt, easily), let alone The Practice or a deeper cut like Picket Fences' Douglas Waumbaugh. (I am probably the only one who remembers Picket Fences at this point, though!)

Finally, because I understand my place in the cosmos and this thread, what about musical theater and operetta? No Billy Flynn from Chicago? No one from Gilbert & Sullivan? Non-lawyers like Erin Brokovich and Charlie Kelly make the cut, but no Portia from Merchant of Venice?

Apparently I also have strong opinions about this list.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

Yep. Probably lots of others too.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Flag on the play. Brokovich is not a lawyer.

And I agree. This list is dumb. And includes some really lovely lawyers. See eg Lt Kafee. The whole point was that he was an arrogant douche with no experience and an overly large ego.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ActusRhesus posted:

See eg Lt Kafee. The whole point was that he was an arrogant douche with no experience and an overly large ego.

LCDR Galloway, you need to watch more than the first third of a movie to understand a character’s arc.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

ActusRhesus posted:

Flag on the play. Brokovich is not a lawyer.

And I agree. This list is dumb. And includes some really lovely lawyers. See eg Lt Kafee. The whole point was that he was an arrogant douche with no experience and an overly large ego.

No Harvey Dent, the list is invalid.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
If you vote, it says the next round of votes will have lawyers from longer TV shows (as in, shows that go for an hour) on it.

Dianne Lockhart ftw.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Alexeythegreat posted:

Vox Nihili posted:

So you got that gov't position, huh?

FTFY

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

New AG found.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

LCDR Galloway, you need to watch more than the first third of a movie to understand a character’s arc.

He was still lovely. Just mildly more aware that he didn’t know everything.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Much like real life, L&O prosecutors are pretty interchangeable so you only need a couple represented on the list.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

thehoodie posted:

I don't see Leonard J. Crabs Esq. anywhere on this list. Incomplete!

Also the answer is obiously Kevin Lomax as played by Keanu Reeves in the hit motion picture The Devil's Advocate (1997 film) for the sheer realism of a Florida lawyer being the literal spawn of Satan (spoiler)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

No Tom Hagen, Dr. Gonzo, or Lionel Hutz means list is poo poo

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Actually looks like they only had one half of the bracket yesterday. Lionel Hutz is a 1 seed lol

https://www.agpllp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Lawyer-Bracket-2.pdf

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

You can now vote.

Charlie Kelly is currently losing to Clare Huxtable.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Pook Good Mook posted:

You can now vote.

Charlie Kelly is currently losing to Clare Huxtable.

What? How??

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hoshi posted:

What? How??

Gotta go vote
https://www.agpllp.ca/all-time-best-fictional-lawyer-round-1-part-1/

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

Much like real life, L&O prosecutors are pretty interchangeable so you only need a couple represented on the list.

It’s mostly true.

Also, I just pulled the resume of one of my opposing counsel who likes to play the “i was a marine! RAWRRR!” Card. Get a load of this no campaign medal, only one personal award scrub.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The fact that charlie and the arrested development lawyers besides barry are not winning is a goddamn crime.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Tom Hagen may be the best lawyer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No, it will always be Vinny.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Accurate. Vinny is good too. This list is bullshit.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Seriously the poo poo Tom pulled is amazing. And considering, if you consider gf3 to be canon, that his primary client went on to become a billionaire with no jail time? loving amazing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I had to vote against Atticus Finch for his terrible and backwards treatment of a rape victim

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Sorry, I had to vote against Atticus Finch for his terrible and backwards treatment of a rape victim

Come on you pussies

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Come on you pussies

Fight me.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Some dipshit at my PDs office gave me an earful about not having seen to kill a mocking bird or having it as a primary motivator for me to want to get into criminal defense litigation.

Charlie Kelly won his case against all odds as a self taught master of bird law. I don't think anyone else on that list has overcome those kind of odds to become a successful litigator and consequently he deserves to be #1.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The thing is... Atticus is kind of a lovely lawyer. Just saying. Hi. I’m a small town trusts and estates guy. Lemme jump right into this capital murder trial a week before evidence. It’s kind of the definition of malpractice.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Good point, but here are MY thoughts about a bunch of fictional lawyers:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I need to see all their billables and portable business to truly decide who is the best fictional lawyer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

lmbo my schools bar pass rate dipped below [RIVAL SCHOOL] so the administration met with professors and told them to “add more multiple choice questions” to their finals bahahahaha

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
The best fictional lawyer is Uncle Phil.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Also. Why the gently caress is ally Mcbeal on that list? Didn’t futurama effectively point out that show was crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ActusRhesus posted:

The thing is... Atticus is kind of a lovely lawyer. Just saying. Hi. I’m a small town trusts and estates guy. Lemme jump right into this capital murder trial a week before evidence. It’s kind of the definition of malpractice.

Just lol of you've only practiced after Gideon and Strickland.