Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

That title is too close to The Corrections, you're trying to trick me into reading Franzen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nanomashoes posted:

That title is too close to The Corrections, you're trying to trick me into reading Franzen.

agreed

altho Corrections plural is alright when you realize everyone is a piece of poo poo except Franzen's self-insert Chip's sister Denise, the faultless lesbian cook who's part of the show for less than 100 pages.

I know some might say it's feels cheap to agree with the author but there you have it. Jonathan Franzen dreamed up a sister he wanted to gently caress and he's been chasing the dragon ever since.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i know we all like to have our fun in this, the tbb lit thread, i cannot emphasize enough what a mistake it is to choose not to read thomas bernhard's correction (de., Korrektur) for any reason, no matter how trivial

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

i know we all like to have our fun in this, the tbb lit thread, i cannot emphasize enough what a mistake it is to choose not to read thomas bernhard's correction (de., Korrektur) for any reason, no matter how trivial

Thank you.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

its frankly insulting that a masterpiece of germanic and indeed world literature is being compared to that turd franzen just because he gave his book a similar title like 30 years later

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aber Bernhard musst doch eine anderes titel erwählt sin schulten, nicht wahr?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
the last samurai is indeed unbelievably good. i haven't been this trapped in a book in a long time

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
What's some good and heavy post-apocalyptic fiction?

I've heard Roadside Picnic is decent, as apparently are the Metro 2033 books? Are there anything similar?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

all contemporary fiction is set during the apocalypse

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

virinvictus posted:

I've heard Roadside Picnic is decent, as apparently are the Metro 2033 books? Are there anything similar?

why would you ask for genre fiction recs in this, this the only thread on this subforum not dedicated to genre fiction

e: cormac mccarthy's the road

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Metro 2033 is bad, actually.

If you want something "heavy", I'm not sure why you're asking about a book instead of just listening to Megadeth's masterwork Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 9, 2018

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/agra/Worlds-heaviest-book-unveiled-in-Agra/articleshow/46613674.cms

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

chernobyl kinsman posted:

why would you ask for genre fiction recs in this, this the only thread on this subforum not dedicated to genre fiction

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

virinvictus posted:

Wittgenstein's Mistress

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

e: cormac mccarthy's the road

I’ve spoken with several people (all science people) who were adamant that at the end of The Road the family that ‘adopts’ the Boy is assuredly a family of cannibals, and that the ending is just irredeemable bleakness. But really, despite it being about the end of the world as we know it, I thought it was Cormac McCarthy’s most hopeful book (which isn’t saying much, granted). Which makes sense, since the book is really about the author’s son.

B. Birdsworth fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 10, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

virinvictus posted:

The Dog Stars
Far North
On Such a Full Sea
Station Eleven

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
A Canticle for Leibowitz
more science-fictiony than some of the other recs, but a classic of the genre

Love in the Ruins, a bit of a comic take on a not-quite-apocalyptic post-America

I read Roadside Picnic and thought it was just okay and that I must be missing something

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Margaret Atwood's Maddaddam trilogy should surely get a mention

Leibowitz was pretty good

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I just finished A Farewell to Arms and it was insanely good. One thing though, the nature of the dialogue between the narrator and Catherine was so...I don't know, staccatic? especially early on, which made it hard to see that there was a real connection between them. Perhaps I got used to Hemingway's style of dialogue, or started appreciating those "cute" mannerisms between couples later, and by the end there was real, believable, passion, but early it was very hard to see. Is this just a limitation of this style of writing, or is this a reflection of the emotional wall of a man the narrator was do you think?

The war scenes are some of the best battle writing I've ever come across, it was so confused, disjointed, and fearful, making it really too uncomfortably close to an experience of what war is really like for some I imagine.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Dog Stars
Far North
On Such a Full Sea
Station Eleven

Seconding On Such a Full Sea

Station Eleven was alright, albeit a bit comic-booky (heh)

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
"The Overstory" is in some sense post apocalyptic and heavy. But more so in that it argues that the world we live in today is already post apocalypse.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

virinvictus posted:

The Earth Abides. It's about how the Main characters wants to rebuild civilization bit everyone is to apathic to bother.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Fools that you are, you do not see that you're so-called 'reading', has been surpassed by a mere cartoon

https://twitter.com/NoChorus/status/1071151779671408642

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
That guy is right though

e: about that one thing, not the other stupid things he says in the Twitter thread

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

simpsons at its best was a marvellous postmodern pastiche

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

most of what that guy says just sounds like it came from this forum

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

derp posted:

the last samurai is indeed unbelievably good. i haven't been this trapped in a book in a long time

I stated reading it thanks to this thread and it's gotten hooked into my brain super good. can't believe i made it all the way to the end of an english degree and didn't hear about this book once (or perhaps i did and assumed it was the Tom Cruise movie)

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Anyone read Milkman by Anna Burns? Is it worth checking it out? The Booker prize is more reliable than most other literary awards.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

J_RBG posted:

Fools that you are, you do not see that you're so-called 'reading', has been surpassed by a mere cartoon

https://twitter.com/NoChorus/status/1071151779671408642

https://twitter.com/NoChorus/status/1070991570390917122

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

He's right

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, I got so much to do in this hellworld, I won't have time for reading till I'm dead.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
you could have read a few pages of a book instead of posting on this forum. you just don't want to.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

you could have watched 2 minutes of a movie cinema

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

derp posted:

you could have read a few pages of a book instead of posting on this forum. you just don't want to.

dont take my bad joke seriously, please read between the line

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm actually reading Mel's rec The Dog Stars right now and it's pretty good so far! Very McCarthyesque in its style and setting, but it's well written and it feels like it's going places

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah, I got so much to do in this hellworld, I won't have time for reading till I'm dead.

Time enough at last

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

vyelkin posted:

Time enough at last

Future archaeologists open a coffin: It's a skeleton next to temps perdu and a pristine bookmark

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Do people who like Japanese literature recommend Saikaku's Life of an Amorous Man if I haven't read the Tale of Genji? I really like picaresque stuff so it appeals but apparently it's dense with these allusions to a book I haven't read.

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013
You should read the tale of genji just because it's good, even though it is also itself dense with allusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Like I would read a book because it's "good". :smugjones: