Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who's the last "guitar hero" in rock music who broke through? I feel like you probably have to go back to Slash.

I feel like like the obvious answer is Jack White?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Bruno Mars I think goes beyond "influenced by" and straight into "copying". "Locked Out of Heaven" sounds so close to a Police song that you could be forgiven for mistaking it for a cover of one you hadn't heard before.

It doesn't bother me too much because Bruno Mars's stylistic adventures are more interesting to me than most of his usual piano ballads. Songs like "Locked Out of Heaven" and "Gorilla" and "Treasure" are derivative (of the Police, Prince and either Earth Wind & Fire or Sylvester respectively) but they're still good.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Dacap posted:

Either him or Josh Homme.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Was gonna say this.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

:same:
For both Jack White and Josh Homme

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Randaconda posted:

I love 80s/early 90s pointless guitar solos. :colbert:

fight me irl

One of the first badass guitars I heard growing up was Eruption by Van Halen. Still love me a wicked solo or instrumental piece.

Dont forget crazy drum solos too, my bro was huge into Motley Crue & seeing Tommy Lee wailing away in a rotating drum cage was badass :black101:

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Dec 28, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Songs are mostly 80s, commercial is peak late 90s/early 2000s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbuXyjftq1U

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda posted:

At least all of those songs actually seem to be power ballads.

My dad used to have this three-disc "Greatest Power Ballads Ever" collection that had songs like "The One I Love" by R.E.M., "Holding Out for a Hero" (you could get that and not "Total Eclipse of the Heart", the one which is a power ballad?), "Here I Go Again", "Bat Out of Hell", "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight", "Heaven Is a Place On Earth", "More Than a Feeling" etc.

I'm not debating the quality of any of these songs but I have no idea what they're doing on a power ballads compilation.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

WescottF1 posted:

I still use one. Haven't gotten a speeding ticket in my own vehicle since 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVqLHghLpw&t=13s

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not debating the quality of any of these songs but I have no idea what they're doing on a power ballads compilation.

There was a similar commercial I remember seeing a bunch where it was for a punk rock collection that had nothing punk on it. Unless you think that Men at Work counts as punk.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJoo7Tgjr8U

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Randaconda posted:

I knew what this was before I opened it... the soundtrack of falling asleep on the couch watching some godforsaken Comedy Central special and waking up at 2 AM.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Apparently metal has been seeing a bit of a revival lately?

I would say absolutely yes. I've really been making an effort to keep up with new releases this year after my music tastes kinda stagnated the years prior. I follow a handful of blogs, go to shows, am constantly checking out new artists, and the best of the year lists that are coming out right now are still largely full of poo poo I've never even heard of. I get the impression the scene is pretty fragmented right now with lots of small ecosystems really dialing in to specific sets of sounds.

Prog also feels like it's booming with some really stellar and fun released over the past ~12 months or so.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This was recommended with the Power Ballads one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np8Cgp-2zMc

I've heard 80s music was returned to the mainstream with Gross Point Blank, which when you think about it, it fits. It was about a 10 year high school reunion and that would have been people who would have been almost 40 and thats when you want to recapture you youth, because its still the 90s and being in your late 30s was when you had reached full adulthood with career and family.

It's also a great movie and probably the last good Dan Akyrod one.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Great Metal Jesus posted:

I would say absolutely yes. I've really been making an effort to keep up with new releases this year after my music tastes kinda stagnated the years prior. I follow a handful of blogs, go to shows, am constantly checking out new artists, and the best of the year lists that are coming out right now are still largely full of poo poo I've never even heard of. I get the impression the scene is pretty fragmented right now with lots of small ecosystems really dialing in to specific sets of sounds.

Prog also feels like it's booming with some really stellar and fun released over the past ~12 months or so.

I used to use Pandora to get new music in my head but it seems that's gone to crap. A lot of it also seemed to be stuff that had come out previously that I'd never heard of. That was especially interesting for really underground stuff but another thing that kept happening was I'd think "oh, this is good I should go find more about this band!" but then find out they'd broken up already. It isn't metal but Pzychobitch is some really good industrial music but really only lasted a few years before I'd ever heard of them. Made me kind of sad. Then again at least Angelspit is still around.

Of course industrial music is 90's as hell. It goes back to the 70's but Nine Inch Nails and the roughly eighty trillion bands Alien Jourgensen being involved in bubbling up to the mainstream (well, more adjacent in the case of Ministry but still) was such a 90's thing. I think Trent Reznor in particular just kind of is the 90's made flesh.

Then again there also seems to be a revival of interest in some of the stuff from the 90's too. Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson came by here on their tour and the amphitheater was absolutely packed. They also put on a hell of a show.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the most 90s songs ever, and one I unironically love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXWRTEbj1I

EDM peaked with Eurodance, don't @me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm always amazed at how many Simpsons clips on YouTube have a KCPQ 13 watermark. That's probably only 90's to me as I lived in the Seattle area, and that was our Fox affiliate at that time :3:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Randaconda posted:

One of the most 90s songs ever, and one I unironically love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXWRTEbj1I

EDM peaked with Eurodance, don't @me

I unironically love E-Rotic because I have terrible taste in music but it's not a good idea to admit in most company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcedGpe09Q

The :stonk: starts at 0:12.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ryonguy posted:

I unironically love E-Rotic because I have terrible taste in music but it's not a good idea to admit in most company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcedGpe09Q

The :stonk: starts at 0:12.

that was made in the 90s? :randstare:

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Randaconda posted:

that was made in the 90s? :randstare:

King Kong was at the turn of the millenium.

E-Rotic got new listeners thanks to DDR, and then later the clever renames for In The Groove.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Things got wild as soon as the wall went down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuQsCgoBe78

:lesnick::qfg::sandance:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm always amazed at how many Simpsons clips on YouTube have a KCPQ 13 watermark. That's probably only 90's to me as I lived in the Seattle area, and that was our Fox affiliate at that time :3:

KCPQ was rebroadcast in British Columbia so anyone growing up in Vancouver watched Simpsons and Married with Children on the same channel as NW Washington state. Always loved Almost Live even though I didn't understand half the jokes. Fat people live in Tukwila! Hahahahaha!

And always remember, you can be a Q kid too!

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I've heard 80s music was returned to the mainstream with Gross Point Blank, which when you think about it, it fits.
I would say The Wedding Singer had more to do with it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
This is pretty 90's song:

Especially considering how popular Alanis Morrisette was at the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_fg_D1noOY

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

wesleywillis posted:

I remember a friend playing "cut the mullet" and "rock n roll McDonald's" constantly. I was a fan of "Jesus is the answer"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

finalellipsis posted:

I remember a friend playing "cut the mullet" and "rock n roll McDonald's" constantly. I was a fan of "Jesus is the answer"

Cut the mullet is pretty sweet.
My brothers and I spontaneously started singing " suck a caribou's rear end" one time.

It was weird, because we've never been the type to do that kind of poo poo. We were drunk though.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I whupped spider mans rear end

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

My Twitter Account posted:

I would say The Wedding Singer had more to do with it.

Gross Point Blank came out a year before Wedding Singer. It was clearly the one that the cool people started their nostalgia, the Wedding Singer was the scrubs.

wesleywillis posted:

I saw Wesley Willis on September 11th, 2001.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dixville posted:

I whupped spider mans rear end

Rock over London, rock on Chicago.
Blockbuster video wow what a difference

I was listening to him in my freshman year of college (2000) but unfortunately didn’t get to see him before he died. I still wear a WW t-shirt on a regular basis. One of my favorite things is saying I have some new music to show someone then playing something like “They Kicked Me Out of Church” and seeing the reaction.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I saw Wesley Willis on September 11th, 2001.

:catstare:, that must have been an interesting show.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Rock over London, rock on Chicago.
Blockbuster video wow what a difference

I was listening to him in my freshman year of college (2000) but unfortunately didn’t get to see him before he died. I still wear a WW t-shirt on a regular basis. One of my favorite things is saying I have some new music to show someone then playing something like “They Kicked Me Out of Church” and seeing the reaction.

I also was listening to him around then, although I'd first heard of him in the late 90s somehow. I unfortunately never got to see him, the last tour that he did, he was supposed to play a show somewhere close to me, and my brothers a few friends and I were going to go, but as I recall it got cancelled, because he was sick.
I downloaded part of his interview on the Howard Stern show off of Napster or Kazaa or one of them places back in like 2001 or so.

I like to tell people that his music is very "Avant Garde". I guess it is in a way.

Anecdotal story: Some guys that one of my brothers knows went to see him at a bar somewhere, and before the show, they just kinda came upon him sitting at the bar, or at a table in the place, they bought him a beer, and sometime during the show, he sang a song about them all like " Jim and bob are nice guys to the max, jim and bob are nice guys in the mix, Jim and bob bought me a beer.................." and so on.

I still like telling people to "suck a male camel's dick".

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I met Wesley Willis booking student entertainment 4 times. Finally, a thread for it! He was a great person though the headbutts got to be much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

wesleywillis posted:

:catstare:, that must have been an interesting show.

It was. A lot of "I need this" attitudes from the crowd, and Willis was constantly going "gently caress bush!".

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Wesley Willis was too pure for this world.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I have no idea who Wesley Willis is and I'm not sure if it's because I'm too young or too old but I'm also not googling him because in the spirit of this thread it's kinda nice to not know who everyone is right away.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only know of him from the McDonald's documentary where the dumb dude eats a poo poo load of McDonald's and is astonished to learn that it's bad to eat fast food every day.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

I only know of him from the McDonald's documentary where the dumb dude eats a poo poo load of McDonald's and is astonished to learn that it's bad to eat fast food every day.

That whole documentary is bullshit, anyway.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Mu Zeta posted:

Super Size Me! Man, seeing that briefly made me a smug af teenager then I grew up and realised eating any lovely food with no nutrition regularly is bad for you...

Was he the camera guy who traveled with Spurlock? Don't remember anyone else from that other than the doctors.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nah, it's just Wesley Willis' music was featured prominently in the documentary.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jojoinnit posted:

I have no idea who Wesley Willis is and I'm not sure if it's because I'm too young or too old but I'm also not googling him because in the spirit of this thread it's kinda nice to not know who everyone is right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jTPbcnqPxQ

He was a schizophrenic Chicago man who made a huge amount of music, most of which was perfectly formulaic and used the preset tracks on a synthesizer, before dying in 2003 of leukemia. Technically none of it is good music, but it's the kind of music that can only exist if made by a schizophrenic man. Like ending every single song with "Rock over London, rock on Chicago" and a product slogan.

The permanent bruise/callus is from greeting everyone by headbutting them.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
WW was a staple in the 90's Chicago Punk Rock scene. I'm glad a lot of people outside our dumb clique got the chance to experience him.