Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

eSporks posted:

Great description.

In the bike industry you see a lot of similar things. Lots of knockoffs made in the same factory as the original, but you dig deeper and see where the corners were cut. Remember, at least when the name brand fails you have someone to sue. Good advice for cyclists that also applies to baby owners.

This.

I bought a carbon fiber base bar for my triathlon bike through Ali. The name brand one was 400.00(zipp) but I only paid 50.00 for mine.

...it lasted a couple of seasons, but on my last race of 2017 it cracked audibly during the transition dismount. Lesson learned. I'm just glad it didn't fail when I was going 40 mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Rad-daddio posted:

This.

I bought a carbon fiber base bar for my triathlon bike through Ali. The name brand one was 400.00(zipp) but I only paid 50.00 for mine.

Did you buy a knockoff of the zipp one or just an unbranded or made up Chinese brand?

Ive been commuting for about 3 years on a similarly priced Ali carbon aero bar on my fixie (which means a lot less bike unweighting) and haven't had issues - not even any unusual flex.
That said I've seen footage of Shimano tri-spokes exploding on flat tarmac for no good reason.

Edit: video in here for those that want to see what can happen to literally any carbon part no matter the quality http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wheel-failures-decimate-team-skys-tirreno-adriatico-ambitions/ as I understand it the problem is that a bubble or poorly adhered laminate is prohibitive to diagnose non destructively.

norp fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 11, 2018

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Rad-daddio posted:

This.

...it lasted a couple of seasons, but on my last race of 2017 it cracked audibly during the transition dismount. Lesson learned. I'm just glad it didn't fail when I was going 40 mph.

tbh, if you were doing triathalons on it, I'd say you got your moneys worth imo.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

norp posted:

Did you buy a knockoff of the zipp one or just an unbranded or made up Chinese brand?

Ive been commuting for about 3 years on a similarly priced Ali carbon aero bar on my fixie (which means a lot less bike unweighting) and haven't had issues - not even any unusual flex.
That said I've seen footage of Shimano tri-spokes exploding on flat tarmac for no good reason.

Edit: video in here for those that want to see what can happen to literally any carbon part no matter the quality http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wheel-failures-decimate-team-skys-tirreno-adriatico-ambitions/ as I understand it the problem is that a bubble or poorly adhered laminate is prohibitive to diagnose non destructively.

From what I could tell, it was an unbranded Zipp Vukka base bar. I did notice that it was unusually thin compared to the used Profile carbon fiber base bar that I replaced it with. Also, it was unidirectional carbon fiber so I don't know if that affected it.

Sex Robot posted:

tbh, if you were doing triathalons on it, I'd say you got your moneys worth imo.

Pretty much. I think I've switched out every part on my bike in an attempt to my my goony rear end go a little faster/last a little longer.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Yikes, I just bought a couple of bits from AliExpress (aluminium dart shafts, replacement flights) and was idly browsing. I promise. I had a look for a leather belt, and was ambushed, ambushed by this NSFW listing...

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/6z7cali.png:nws:

I'm out for the day.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Seems pretty cheap for its size. Did you buy one?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

My favourite is the latex glans mask that just to come storming in fro left field I the most unexpected of places. Kitchen goods, knitwear, jewellery. Intersted in a big ol’ wearable dingaling?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Sex Robot posted:

My favourite is the latex glans mask that just to come storming in fro left field I the most unexpected of places. Kitchen goods, knitwear, jewellery. Intersted in a big ol’ wearable dingaling?

It's the biggest dick on the site but it doesn't have a little censorship sticker on it?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The censorship sticker factory was on fire. Sorry.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i'm looking for a fidget toy that has some weight to it, preferably metal. any ideas?

I've found these are awesome to fidget with

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/7NVwHvm

Pro tip: don't swallow any of them. They can rip holes in your insides due to their magnetic strength

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

If your current cheapo chinese tripod from amazon fell apart, i'm not sure what you're expecting from an even more cheapo AE version. it'll probably be the exact same model but with 70% of the build quality.

I use AliExpress for little tools I expect to rarely use or which are mostly impossible to get wrong (say, those pin vises I linked to earlier) but if you're using something seriously it's worth buying the good stuff. A $150-$200 Manfrotto tripod will last forever and is a good investment for your presumably-more-than-$150 digital SLR.

I only use it for photographing my Wife's knitted hats, scarves, etc. for her Etsy. It never leaves the house!

My current one has lasted about 8 years, which isn't bad. Was just curious if there were any recommendations on Ali. Can't justify buying a "proper" one for this purpose...

Will probably re buy this one if it still exists on Amazon

Cheers!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I decided to buy a set of bottle brushes, and I received a message from the seller:

quote:

"Dear friend,I noticed that you make a big deal with us,we feel so happy with that,thank you for your purchase.But we probably face a deficit,because your country is very far from us,and the postage of China Registered Air Mail will be very expensive.I just wonder whether you can pay us extra $0.5 as some postage.Because if there is too much deficit,my boss may punish me or even fire me.Hope you can help me,anyway,look forward to your reply!Best Wishes! Dear, if you make up the shipping cost, you will place an order through the link below. When you place an order, please note ""fill shipping"", then I will know that it is yours. Thanks in advance."
On the one hand, all they want is an extra 50 cents, on the other hand the total purchase price was 61 cents. Would be wrong of me to say "kindly gently caress off and honor your prices"?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it's basically a scam but you can be a magnanimous westerner if you like

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
trust your ali sellers they will do you well

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I got a less manipulative but equally bullshit one the other day

quote:

Hi dear, thanks for your purchase,We just get notice from Logistics company that the shipping fee is increased.It is 0.5 USD for extra fee. we will be much appreciate if you pay for extra shipping fee. Here I send a link to you . The value of the link is $0.5. And you can choose the amount of the product for 1 , so that you can pay for the shipping fee to us. And besides, please leave us a message of the new order you will make ""repay the shipping fee "", so that we will understand it. We will send your parcel as fast as possible. The link : XXX Hope to hear from you soon. Best regards and have a great day!
I'm planning to ignore it and see where it goes. They didn't change the shipping price in the listing.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I'd just pay them. I'm too nice IRL.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Crotch Fruit posted:

I decided to buy a set of bottle brushes, and I received a message from the seller:

On the one hand, all they want is an extra 50 cents, on the other hand the total purchase price was 61 cents. Would be wrong of me to say "kindly gently caress off and honor your prices"?

I watch guys barter at Chinese counterfeit markets on YouTube cause I have no life and that language is pretty loving similar to the lines they use. I’d tell them that if it’s too low then they can cancel the order.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I get no NSFW suggestions, FWIW. (Anne, you said you don't either, right?) Maybe it's because I login with a Google smart login and I often have safe search enabled? I'm not sure if the settings possibly carry over like that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I get occasional NSFW suggestions, mostly lingerie, but last night there was some medical product for hemorrhoids that definitely included closeups of healthy and extremely unhealthy buttholes. But for me lingerie is like maybe 1 in 50 suggestions, not like other people's screenshots where 90% of their recommendations were sex toys. That's even though I have actually bought sex toys on aliexpress.

Otoh, I don't log in with google and I don't have safe search enabled on google or anywhere else afaik.

v e: yeah, if it had seemed like a genuine error -- if they had changed the price of shipping on the listing -- then I might have paid up. Since they didn't, it seems like a scam.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 11, 2018

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
If they actually said that the price of shipping had changed instead or if they had changed the price in their store instead of just saying "your country is too far" then I would either paid the shipping, or found another seller for the same item at the same price. Instead I replied pointing out that the listing price included shipping with multiple options for free shipping to the US and said to either mail the item or cancel the order.

As for lingerie, I do login with a Google smart account and I do not have safe search turned on, I also click almost every link labeled NSFW in this thread so I'm not surprised by the results, I just know not to browse Ali around the kids.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hmm I almost never click on the links labeled NSFW itt, maybe that explains it?

More than anything my suggestions seem dictated by things in my shopping cart, wish lists, and most recent search history, like within the last 48 hours. I do leave an awful lot of things in my shopping cart and wish lists that I'm thinking about.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Teach posted:

Yikes, I just bought a couple of bits from AliExpress (aluminium dart shafts, replacement flights) and was idly browsing. I promise. I had a look for a leather belt, and was ambushed, ambushed by this NSFW listing...

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/6z7cali.png:nws:

I'm out for the day.

I can sympathize.

For whatever reason, Ali has seen fit to send me weekly sales notifications on all of their male chastity devices.

All I buy on that site is bike parts and hobby electronics.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Has anyone had any luck with a Dualshock-style USB controller for Windows 10 from AliExpress? The left stick on mine has started to stick (:haw:), which can get pretty irritating, and I can't for the life of me get my actual PS3 controller to work via USB or Bluetooth. I game just enough to want a new controller, but not enough to want to pay top dollar for it.

I'm waiting on my latest order: a fuckton of Born Pretty nail polishes, including one magnetic variety (and the corresponding wand), and that cheap water-resistant Bluetooth speaker. I hold no hopes of either coming before Christmas, but that's okay! Chinese Christmas is fun, too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rad-daddio posted:

I can sympathize.

For whatever reason, Ali has seen fit to send me weekly sales notifications on all of their male chastity devices.

one reason why is because stores often sell a large range of products. The hobby electronic shops probably also carry ball clamps

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rad-daddio posted:

I can sympathize.

The good news is that Aliexpress thinks you are a guy who fucks. The bad news is they think you should stop.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Goddamnit after all this time I've finally got a financial fight ahead of me over like 2 euros. I ordered 5 of these fancy clothes hanging hooks, out of which one is bent at the base and can't be used and I just want another hook that's good, like the 4 others, and the seller wants to refund me 30% of the order through .. paypal. WHAT. WHY?! Just send me a goddamn hook, how is this difficult?

On one hand I feel so petty fighting over a silly amount of money like this, but one the other hand, I want to do it just 'cause they're pissing me off.

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 11, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I just realized aliexpress has buttons and I now have literally 435 buttons on their way to me

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
They want to refund through PayPal because ali punishes them for fuckups in their stats.

It's not you, it's you plus the 10000 other orders they hosed up.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
I liked this good-faith effort to rip off MOSCHINO.

luxury handbags women bags designer Letter PU leather Girls Clutches Fashion designer shoulder bags famous brand women bags 2019
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/vHk6l9q

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Has anyone gotten a soundbar like this one
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/WOYbQhS

Or this one
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/jtjtnWY
or could recommend one?

I can't really spend 200 on a bose bar but I'm not sure

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 12, 2018

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

are those s.click links from mobile? piehole blocks all of them, kinda sucks.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

mike12345 posted:

are those s.click links from mobile? piehole blocks all of them, kinda sucks.

Yeah, sorry, I'm currently on mobile and can't link the long ones.

Original Xiaomi Bluetooth TV Sound Bar Wireless Speaker Soundbar Support Optical SPDIF AUX in for Home Theatre

And

LONPOO Home Theater 40W Bluetooth Soundbar TV AUX Optic Bluetooth Soundbar Speakers Soundbar with Subwoofer Speaker for TV

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Has anyone ordered walking stick tips from Ail? Does it start suggesting condoms if you do?

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
I wish China Post would begin shipping parcels to Canada again/Canada Post would give them the go ahead. Got a bunch of tabs open for cheap junk I want to buy and all it says is Can Not Deliver to Canada!

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Why do none of the guitars ship to Canada?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Defenistrator posted:

Why do none of the guitars ship to Canada?

Didn't you have a postal strike or something recently?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
In case anyone is interested, the seller who asked for an extra 50 cents for shipping for 61 62 cent brushes did not send any additional messages but did mark my item shipped. The tracking has no updates, I don't believe it has been dispatched yet, I am slightly paranoid about what I might find in the box if it does show up now. The price did go up one cent but the shipping still says free to the United States.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I wonder if they actually ship it or are just pushing the deadline for cancellation/refund back a few weeks hoping that you will forget about it. I had one where the seller requested I cancel it but then the order was marked as shipped a few days later.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Faded Mars posted:

I wish China Post would begin shipping parcels to Canada again/Canada Post would give them the go ahead. Got a bunch of tabs open for cheap junk I want to buy and all it says is Can Not Deliver to Canada!

Yeah I have a bunch of cheap stuff saved that says it's gonna cost a fortune to ship to Canada.

My understanding is that the Canada Post warehouses are full, so they can't efficiently receive and process new packages (and maybe envelope mail too). There are no estimates on how long it'll take to clear the backlog, all I've seen in the news is "regular service will not be returned until at least after Christmas."

Request: does anyone have a leather engraving service they like on Ali Express for wallets and the like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Hirayuki posted:

Has anyone had any luck with a Dualshock-style USB controller for Windows 10 from AliExpress? The left stick on mine has started to stick (:haw:), which can get pretty irritating, and I can't for the life of me get my actual PS3 controller to work via USB or Bluetooth. I game just enough to want a new controller, but not enough to want to pay top dollar for it.

I bought a Gamesir gamepad last year, and it worked ca. 8 months, then started freaking out. The build is nice, but apparently the electronics are poo poo.