Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Ben Nevis posted:

The library has a couple of these that look interesting. Any specific place to start or just go?

A Heart so White is a good starting point. Or just dive in the trilogy Your Face Tomorrow - an honest-to-god spy novel hiding behind page-long sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hieronymous my pitch for jojo is it's a cliche fist of the north star ripoff until the author realizes he is gay and gives all the characters avant garde clothes and lithe sexy ghost slaves that have magic powers and who they often do glamour poses with

At what point does the shift happen

Because yeah the first episode seemed really just cliche boring anime FIGHTS also, mean to a dog

But I'm totally down for glorious manly bros but I only have so much time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

At what point does the shift happen

Because yeah the first episode seemed really just cliche boring anime FIGHTS also, mean to a dog

But I'm totally down for glorious manly bros but I only have so much time

Skip to season 2 (stardust crusaders) and wiki phantom blood and battle tendency to see what you missed but mostly it's about gay vampires

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Also when I say gay vampire I dont mean derogatory "lol twilight" gay but

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The more I hear about JoJo and the more people try to sell it to me, it just sounds worse and worse.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

The more I hear about JoJo and the more people try to sell it to me, it just sounds worse and worse.

Its anime dadaism

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its anime dadaism

that's like most anime though, I mean, I tried to watch FLCL years ago and yeah, no

Bebop was good though, it had a good dog, good music.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

drat

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The only anime anyone needs is Night Is Short Walk On Girl. Thank you end of discussion.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

that's like most anime though, I mean, I tried to watch FLCL years ago and yeah, no

Bebop was good though, it had a good dog, good music.

drat

Mel, you say

how dada is Jojo you say

Well, I ask you

Is the current protagonist a twink sailor with four testicles who has a magic ghost that steals things with bubbles

answer

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am very conflicted right now. Have I accidentally been buying my 14 year old daughter the sex books?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I guess if the Lit thread likes Jojo I should read it???

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I am very conflicted right now. Have I accidentally been buying my 14 year old daughter the sex books?

in all seriousness no they are not sex books, if anything it is probably the least explicitly sexual manga there is right now

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yay our carefully built bond of trust has not been broken.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
let me tell you my opinions about anime here in tbb:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

let me tell you my opinions about anime here in tbb:

technically they are bound as long form graphic novels in the US so Hieronymous says they count

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hardback as well.

I’ll climb the hill that jo jo is a real book, because if it isn’t then my Beatrix Potter anthology is not either and that would be silly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

technically they are bound as long form graphic novels in the US so Hieronymous says they count

Technically manga is allowed but yeah anime is off topic

my bad ill move this thread to anime land i guess?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Quick, everyone join me in enjoying how ridiculous romance novels are!

quote:

New York Times bestselling author Sandra Hill continues her sexy Deadly Angels series, as a Viking vangel’s otherworldly mission pairs him with a beautiful chef who whets his thousand-year-old appetite . . .

Once guilty of the deadly sin of gluttony, thousand-year-old Viking vampire angel Cnut Sigurdsson is now a lean, mean, vampire-devil fighting machine. His new side-job? No biggie: just ridding the world of a threat called ISIS while keeping the evil Lucipires (demon vampires) at bay. So when chef Andrea Stewart hires him to rescue her sister from a cult recruiting terrorists at a Montana dude ranch, vangel turns cowboy. Yeehaw!

The too-tempting mortal insists on accompanying him, surprising Cnut with her bravery at every turn. But with terrorists stalking the ranch in demonoid form, Cnut teletransports Andrea and himself out of danger—accidentally into the tenth-century Norselands. Suddenly, they have to find their way back to the future to save her family and the world . . . and to satisfy their insatiable attraction.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I respect romance novels as fiction more than most fiction in the same way I respect video nasties more than most movies.

There is something dignified in being so unflinchingly meant for gratification and consumption

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well, I don't know about y'all but I'm a-gonna go have a lie-down

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Well, I don't know about y'all but I'm a-gonna go have a lie-down

I genuinely don't know what the best thing about this is:

- Cnut
- It's the seventh in this series
- The first few pages (in the amazon preview) are about how Cnut is fat and proud of it

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

- The first few pages (in the amazon preview) are about how Cnut is fat and proud of it

quote:

lean, mean, vampire-devil fighting machine.

I have so many questions.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cnut is a perfectly normal name :confused:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

its pronounced canute and its a perfectly fine name for a viking

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
About 70 pages into Blood Meridian.
a.) Wow. I mean wow. I love McCarthy's prose.
b.) Holy gently caress. :stare:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There was a thread, Cormacian, albeit final and done now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503637

Still perhaps some may in time enjoy the interpretations of death and horrors and life and it, but not, who knows?

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

There was a thread, Cormacian, albeit final and done now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503637

Still perhaps some may in time enjoy the interpretations of death and horrors and life and it, but not, who knows?

Thanks! I did a quick scan of the past year or so of threads and didn't see anything. I'll give it a look later on.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DrankSinatra posted:

About 70 pages into Blood Meridian.
a.) Wow. I mean wow. I love McCarthy's prose.
b.) Holy gently caress. :stare:

Prepare yourself, because the ending to this book is amazing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Did anyone else read the Disney: A Twisted Tale books? I read one of them, Reflection (a what-if AU where in Mulan, Shang dies of his injuries after the avalanche, and Mulan goes into the Chinese afterlife accompanied by his Family Guardian to save him). It was really interesting, written by Elizabeth Lim. It portrayed the Chinese afterlife with some really interesting ideas, like the literal Mountain of Knives, and added some neat interactions with, for example, her ancestors reactions to her disguise as she inevitably runs into them. Of course Shang finds out her secret and gets pissy, but the interesting part is that his Guardian doesn't give a poo poo, or at least is faster to come around - it's only the world of the living that cares about your genitals, the demons and deities don't pay any mind to it.

It also has a great sequence near the end that really plays into the title and the themes of the song that the book is named after.

I thought it was a really cool book and plan on looking out for the others in the series.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why do they have to travel to their present to gently caress, tho

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PenguinKnight posted:

Why do they have to travel to their present to gently caress, tho

Because then the ladies don't work as self-inserts for the reader and without that half the appeal is gone.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

idk about that. if i were trapped in the past with a hot vampire dude, i’d be like “finally, time to bone”

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PenguinKnight posted:

idk about that. if i were trapped in the past with a hot vampire dude, i’d be like “finally, time to bone”

No hot running water for clean up, I guess?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

yeah that’d suck

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I genuinely don't know what the best thing about this is:

- Cnut
- It's the seventh in this series

Krankenstyle posted:

Cnut is a perfectly normal name :confused:

sounds like this name is a tought cnut to crack

:v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

sounds like this name is a tought cnut to crack

:v:

Oh it's good enough to tide him over

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bought Ship of Theseus a week or so ago and finally took it from its packaging and opened it. WTF. I see now why it's not on Audible. I'm kind of intimidated to even start it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Bought Ship of Theseus a week or so ago and finally took it from its packaging and opened it. WTF. I see now why it's not on Audible. I'm kind of intimidated to even start it.

It's not quite as tough as it looks. Roll with it and it will eventually start making sense. Just remember, the color of the ink in the marginalia has significance...

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I read through the preface. I'm debating just reading through the book itself and then going back through the annotations vs. doing it all at once. And I presume the color of the ink indicates the timeline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the thing about Ship of Theseus is that once you finish it you're not even sure if its the same book you started