Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SammichBacon
Nov 11, 2013

madmatt112 posted:

Update: My wife and I closed on a house purchase, and get possession in 15 (calendar) days. Which means I get to spend the winter preparing, finding gear, and finding a mentor apiarist so I'm ready to rock in the spring. My city allows beekeeping in backyards with very very few regulations (the exception being that a first time beekeeper [me] must work with a non-first timer to learn, in their first season).

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Congrats, it's an addictive hobby. Best of luck to you and the wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I'll be starting this spring too!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
HOPEFULLY we will be remaining where we currently live. I have a Layens horizontal hive that I've been slowly working on over the summer. Kicking myself that I bought wood that wasn't kiln cured and now is all kinds of warped/spiraled. Wish I had a jointer.

Anyhoo I decided that bigger was better, so went with 30 frame length. Walls will be 1.5" finished thickness. (Gets to -20F here) and heavy as hell, but on the bright side I won't have to lift anything but the individual frames.
Going to borrow a couple mods from other hive styles:
- Angled top-bar foundationless frames with holes through the top bar to allow the bees more easy access to adjacent comb
- Up in the air with entrance locations.
- Removable bottom board (again, thick as hell) with a screen so I can do mite stuff

If and when I track down decent cured wood I will eventually be trying my hand at a cathedral hive.
Bees won't know what hit them in the spring.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So, our bee year is coming to an end (kinda).

We started the second and last varroa treatment via ant-acid today. Overall, the year was rather good, and while a lot of other beekeepers around us had major problems with wasps, our hives and splits managed them.

One of our hives (where we lost the queen in spring) is now one of the most aggressive hives I ever witnessed with the queen/brood, and they are batshit crazy in regard to building. We feed with feed paste, and they not only empty the bag out in no time, no, they also build one comb after another in the empty bag. They sting through facemasks, they try to kill everyone around. I once witnessed a similar hive, not quite as aggressive, and it didn't make it through the winter. Let's see. I actually prefer a hive that knows how to defend itself rather than a hive where I have to help so it keeps out wasps/other bees.

The other five are looking cool, one of them is a bit weak, but I hope the will pull through.

I am a bit afraid of the winter. The years was super-strange here in germany. Everything was at least one month too early. After the second treatment, we will feed them another 5kg per hive, so each hive is at about 25kg of food. This sounds rather high, but that's what our nationwide beekeeping society proposed in regard to the super strange year.

One more week of varroa treatment, then (I guess) another week or two of feeding, and then we will send them into the winter. Fingers crossed to all the bees out there.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Why feed them so much when it is the time of year they would typically reduce numbers? In theory if they stored away enough honey, you should not have to feed them, period, beyond perhaps late winter through early spring IF they actually need it.

In regard to the aggressive hive, I personally would requeen. If you’ve got some kind of africanized thing going on why wait?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 16, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

Why feed them so much when it is the time of year they would typically reduce numbers? In theory if they stored away enough honey, you should not have to feed them, period, beyond perhaps late winter through early spring IF they actually need it.

In regard to the aggressive hive, I personally would requeen. If you’ve got some kind of africanized thing going on why wait?

Well, they didn't store enough honey, because we took that. Normally, we feed around 15kg per hive, and that's been working good. But we have a very strange summer this year...stuff that bees normally collect in august was available in June. It also was a super-dry year, so not much water for plants to produce nectar. Thus the advice to feed more. Of course it's a burdon on the typical winter bees, because they shouldn't be tasked with food collection, but we are not there yet. And also: it was advises to all beekeepers here to feed at least 24kg for the hive-size I have.

In regard to requeening: nah, they requeened themselves already this spring, and I am not a big fan of playing too much bee-god. My concern is not the aggressivnes (because, eh, we are keeping bees) but the fact that the hive is exploding of bees. They are building poo poo left and right, and to my experience, these hives have a harder time in the winter.

We'll see.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

tuo posted:

Out of interest: were you're buckfasts aggressive from the start, or only after hatching a new queen?

Sorry about the delay, I have been in school and working full time so I had to put my beekeeping on the shelf.
My Buckfasts were hot from the moment I got them. Tried requeening, twice.Did not help.
Every time I went into the hive I got my jacket pinned to me. The only reason I didn't boil the little shits alive was the fact that their one hive put out 200 lbs of honey for me that year, which is more than I can say for the Caspians, who would not forage for anything.

As with anything, these are lessons learned, I now know that I will be working with Caspians and New World Carniolians moving forward. I also know that I have a lot of work to do when I get back into it as I want to set up a Trailer for AZ hives...

https://www.keepingbackyardbees.com/the-slovenian-beehive-arrives-in-the-us/

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

tuo posted:

Well, they didn't store enough honey, because we took that.

Then don't do that? Again, feeding them at this point is well, pointless, as you are keeping their population up for no reason whatsoever when they should be downsizing for over wintering. Not only that if you are taking more than just the surplus honey, you are taking away their preferred food that would stave off diseases and such.

I get it, getting the honey from the bees is nice and all, but simply leave them enough to over winter. No wonder your hive is hostile. I'd be hostile too.

tuo posted:

Normally, we feed around 15kg per hive, and that's been working good. But we have a very strange summer this year...stuff that bees normally collect in august was available in June. It also was a super-dry year, so not much water for plants to produce nectar. Thus the advice to feed more. Of course it's a burdon on the typical winter bees, because they shouldn't be tasked with food collection, but we are not there yet. And also: it was advises to all beekeepers here to feed at least 24kg for the hive-size I have.

Again I have to question why you would even take the honey that they struggled to create in such a year.
Who are the powers that be that were giving the advice to beekeepers there?

tuo posted:

In regard to requeening: nah, they requeened themselves already this spring, and I am not a big fan of playing too much bee-god. My concern is not the aggressivnes (because, eh, we are keeping bees) but the fact that the hive is exploding of bees. They are building poo poo left and right, and to my experience, these hives have a harder time in the winter.

We'll see.

Trying to stave off africanization is not a concern in those parts?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 16, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

Then don't do that? Again, feeding them at this point is well, pointless, as you are keeping their population up for no reason whatsoever when they should be downsizing for over wintering. Not only that if you are taking more than just the surplus honey, you are taking away their preferred food that would stave off diseases and such.

I get it, getting the honey from the bees is nice and all, but simply leave them enough to over winter. No wonder your hive is hostile. I'd be hostile too.

Then nearly every beekeeper over here is obviously doing it wrong.

Also, it's one of six hives that is hostile, mostly because they decided to requeen this year.

Hasselblad posted:

Again I have to question why you would even take the honey that they struggled to create in such a year.
Who are the powers that be that were giving the advice to beekeepers there?

Because some beekeepers do that. And the year was a very good year for honey over here, but everything was way too early in contrast to past years. That's why it is adviced to feed them more than usual this year over here.

tuo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 17, 2018

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Have been wanting to get into beekeeping for years but not being a homeowner I'd written the idea off for the time being. I'm not really any closer to having my own place (thanks, grad school) but I do have a friend/neighbour who has a decent sized allotment (replete with fruit trees and garden) and is very keen to host, plus pick up half the cost as long as I do all the work. I am a homebrewer and have done a few meads, so looking forward to being able to brew with my own honey at some point down the track :kiddo:

I am hoping I can secure a nuc (it is now spring here in Tasmania) - didn't get the idea to ask neighbour until a few weeks ago unfortunately. Due to our agricultural quarantine policies I can't order bees from the mainland, so my options are gonna be pretty limited.

I am looking to do more research and preparation in the coming weeks, and was having a look at locally available equipment this morning. Would something like this be suitable for a beginner, or is it too much?

quote:

CELERY TOP PINE TIMBER BEE HIVES
Dry with galvanised screws and standard sizes..
Base $35
Super $30
Brood Box $50
Top $35
Or complete with 1 Brood Box and 2 Supers for $180

Assuming it's OK, how should I go about painting it? I'd have probably a month or so before I get the bees (will be overseas from mid Oct/first week of November). Would it make sense to paint it a darker colour due to the chillier climate here?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No reason to paint it. Bees are more susceptible to moisture when cold than cold itself. As far as getting a bunch of bees to populate it, what is swarm catching like around your area?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Hasselblad posted:

No reason to paint it. Bees are more susceptible to moisture when cold than cold itself. As far as getting a bunch of bees to populate it, what is swarm catching like around your area?

Ah, gotcha.

From the looks of Gumtree... highly competitive! Lots of people offering to remove them for free, one guy even offering money for tip-offs of where to find them.

There is also someone selling hive + bees for AU$300 about 5kms from me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Painting the raw wood will help it last longer, though. A light color or white will be fine in any climate, and keeping warm is easier for the bees to accomplish than keeping cool, so even in a cooler climate I'd favor white.

Just use some white latex outdoor paint, let it dry & cure fully before use, and you'll be fine. Leave the inside and the surfaces that touch each other between each box unpainted (paint-on-paint may stick).

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
b

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
My box painting method is to pick kind of goofy light colors like lavender and seafoam green, colors that don't look like beehives right off the bat but also won't soak up sunlight and roast the bugs in the summer, and I also either (depending on time) mask the contact points of the boxes or paint the upward edge and then coat with sand to reduce sticking. Neither method actually stops the bees from coating everything with propolis so just do what works.

This year I've had the privilege of helping an elderly couple manage their apiary, and they began the transition to styrofoam hive bodies a few years before health issues got in the way of working the bees. The styro boxes are actually really excellent to work with so far. To my surprise, the bees don't gnaw on them and I haven't seen any of the boxes shitted up with propolis. More importantly, the boxes insulate very well -- important in our northern climate -- and they're very light, which helps a brokebody like me get much more done when we're talking about dealing with more than a dozen hives at a go.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Speaking of cold weather hives...

Made some progress on my build. 36-frame Layens Horizontal Hive with 1.5" thick walls. The walls and tops of the frames are complete. The frame tops are an EXACT fit. To do: balance of frame parts, decide and built whatever roof design and floor design I am going to go with. I SHOULD be done by spring. This sucker is heavy, but on the bright side once it is in it's permanent home, it is not moving. Like, ever. You can work the Layens like any other horizontal top-bar. I plan to use a couple timbers sunk into concrete for the base. It will laugh at the blizzard winds and -20F temps we can get. Bees will be so stinking snug.

The frames:
https://horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/layens-hive-frame-plans.shtml

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 21, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
are the combs in that intended to go straight down on the sides? just a 90 square (or rectangle) comb?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

It is like a langstroth hive turned on it's side as far as depth-wise. A lot more volume, of course.
Uncertain if I will go with center dowels, or a .6" bar across the middle with 3/8" holes for bee pass-throughs.
https://horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/foundationless-frame-layens.shtml
Pic from their website:

I may do a few Langstroth-to-Layens frames in case I get a nuc.
https://horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/convert-langstroth-layens.shtml

But to answer your question, they are basic 4-sided frames, just foundationless.

Oh, And they also have plans for a bee-bed. For people that are into that kind of kink (not judging)
https://horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/bee-bed-sleep-hive-plans.shtml

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 21, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Ahh, I see now. Very cool! Thank you for sharing.

Tally
May 26, 2011

Is there an extractor that takes those frames?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Tally posted:

Is there an extractor that takes those frames?

Nopers. It will be a cut and crush process. (or cut into squares and sell as such). Maybe down the line I will do a similar build sized for Langstroth frames.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Beekeeping on an apartment balcony. I'm on the ground floor so it is a fairly big balcony.

How much of a dick move is it for a) the bee's and b) the neighbours?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
bees don't care, and it shouldn't bother your neighbors if you don't live in a skyscraper or a situation where they have to interact directly with your balcony. if they can't see onto it or hear, they may not even ever know

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Under normal circumstances, (western honey) bees don't sting when going about their daily business. There is always the off-chance of a bee flying into long hair, panicking, and stinging, but that's a freak accident. They don't actively attack anything outside of their hive, like wasps do.

They tend to poop when leaving the hive, because apart from the queen no bee is allowed to poo poo inside the hive. This led to one beekeeper here who had to move his hives because the were on a garage top directly next to a luxury car dealer. I have my own car parked directly under the balcony where I raise the splits, and imo the poo poo stains are really, really minimal.

My neighbours - as they say - hate bees (as they claim they sting, and obviously can't tell a wasp from a bee). Since they told me this fact, I put the splits where they can't see them on my balcony, and they don't even realize I have two or three splits there over the summer.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This year I've had the privilege of helping an elderly couple manage their apiary, and they began the transition to styrofoam hive bodies a few years before health issues got in the way of working the bees. The styro boxes are actually really excellent to work with so far. To my surprise, the bees don't gnaw on them and I haven't seen any of the boxes shitted up with propolis. More importantly, the boxes insulate very well -- important in our northern climate -- and they're very light, which helps a brokebody like me get much more done when we're talking about dealing with more than a dozen hives at a go.

A friend of mine moved completely to styrofoam over the last years, and he also says he'll never go back. I hesitate to try one, because it simply feels somehow "wrong" to host the bees in styrofoam....but I read so much good things about them, I might try one out next year, as I need two or three new boxes anyway.

Still somehow feels "wrong".

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

tuo posted:

A friend of mine moved completely to styrofoam over the last years, and he also says he'll never go back. I hesitate to try one, because it simply feels somehow "wrong" to host the bees in styrofoam....but I read so much good things about them, I might try one out next year, as I need two or three new boxes anyway.

Still somehow feels "wrong".

I think I know what you mean! Styrofoam just mentally equates to trash for me.

That said, these are actually pretty sturdy and I haven't noticed any damage from prying out frames with hive tools, either. I'm just really over all pleasantly surprised with how nice these hive bodies are to work with. They don't have the a e s t h e t i c of beautifully joined wood, but other than that, I have absolutely no complaints about them so far.

Next time I'm out there, I'll take some pictures so the thread can get an idea of what's up with the entrances and such. I think these were modified by the old fella.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I think I know what you mean! Styrofoam just mentally equates to trash for me.

That said, these are actually pretty sturdy and I haven't noticed any damage from prying out frames with hive tools, either. I'm just really over all pleasantly surprised with how nice these hive bodies are to work with. They don't have the a e s t h e t i c of beautifully joined wood, but other than that, I have absolutely no complaints about them so far.

Next time I'm out there, I'll take some pictures so the thread can get an idea of what's up with the entrances and such. I think these were modified by the old fella.

My fellow beekeeper uses a special opener for them because he told me they still wear down a bit over time if you use typical hive tools (then again, wood does the same over time I guess). Looks like this:

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 27, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Anyone have experience with saskatraz bees? Our local supplier will have them this year and I am considering getting 2 packages, 1 carnolian and one saskatraz. Part of me really wants to go as little treatment as possible to help in a small way to strengthen resistance to varroa. The saskatraz bees are reportedly bred to be more varroa resistant and it would defeat the point if you treated them. (and at least one site suggests not treating as that kind of defeats the whole point of the breeding program)

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
My brother lives out in rural Ohio and has expressed an interest in starting beekeeping. I found an unopened hive kit on eBay for around $175, and pulled the trigger for a Christmas present. After purchase my parents sent me this bit of feedback from a friend they have that keeps bees:

quote:

I could give many reasons why I would not purchase this hive. It’s pretty but its not for a beginning beekeeper, Ask the boys if they know that a first year hive makes no honey for the beekeeper. Ask where the bees are supposed to store their 50 pounds of honey to make it to year two when they will be strong enough to try to fill the honey jars.

It’s a pretty hive but this 15 year beekeeper would recommend to wait until they have 5 or 6 years of experience.

Just wanting to know if I really wasted a bunch of money on this gift -- not the end of the world, but hoping it isn't as useless as this guy seems to think.

Hive I bought:
https://smile.amazon.com/SummerHawk...+ranch+bee+hive
https://beekeepclub.com/summerhawk-ranch-complete-backyard-beehive-kit-system-review/

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Cornuto posted:

My brother lives out in rural Ohio and has expressed an interest in starting beekeeping. I found an unopened hive kit on eBay for around $175, and pulled the trigger for a Christmas present. After purchase my parents sent me this bit of feedback from a friend they have that keeps bees:

Just wanting to know if I really wasted a bunch of money on this gift -- not the end of the world, but hoping it isn't as useless as this guy seems to think.

Hive I bought:
https://smile.amazon.com/SummerHawk...+ranch+bee+hive
https://beekeepclub.com/summerhawk-ranch-complete-backyard-beehive-kit-system-review/

The top part is gimmicky, but I personally am not fond of comb in my honey. The bottom looks pretty well designed beyond the bottom of the frames on the side where I'd imagine the bees would propolis together. It is odd that not one of the pictures shows the entrance. (The accessible windows are in the back of hives, unless you enjoy bees smacking you in the face and stinging the gently caress out of your throat)

Is it a standard landing board for a langstroth? If the same footprint as a Lang I suppose he could add more boxes on top (with actual frames, not jars) as they build up comb. The jar setup could be used for jar feeding to get the colony up and running.

My advice is if it is a standard langstroth size setup, for your brother to buy a langstroth box or two with frames (not terribly expensive and NOT the $94 add-on boxes from that manufacturer) to add onto the existing hive as need be.

edit: Just viewed the second link. Liquid smoke? Seriously?

quote:

Instead of using a smoker to repel the bees, you can use liquid smoke. Rub a bit of liquid smoke on your arms and face. You can rub it on every bit of exposed skin and it acts like a bee repellent.
:wtc:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 9, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

God drat, liquid smoke - suspected to be totally bad for humans - now used on bees. :ohdear:

get rid of that top box, or modifiy it so it can take frames. The idea with the bottles in there is awful on so many levels...

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

tuo posted:

God drat, liquid smoke - suspected to be totally bad for humans - now used on bees. :ohdear:

get rid of that top box, or modifiy it so it can take frames. The idea with the bottles in there is awful on so many levels...

This but a beek, and liquid smoke rather than blood:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 9, 2018

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -