Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Milwaukee ecosystem here. But I’m no daily driver, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
For cordless tools I try to stick to a battery. Find one that has good reviews and what looks like a long market life for the future. I shy away from cordless except for drills/impact and reciprocating saws. I don't do a lot where there is no electricity and I hate a dying battery on anything that cuts.

edit: This is the time to buy if you are going to, looks like all the colors are offering the same deals this year.

https://www.homedepot.com/c/Power_Tool_Savings#dewalt

moron izzard posted:

I'm looking to get a hss bowl scraper, at least 1" wide. Is there a particular brand that y'all would recommend? should I gently caress with negative rake?

Do you plan to turn a lot of resin? If not then a negative rake is probably not needed.

As for brand, HSS is a good one. Robert Sorby are over priced but their specialty tools are top notch. I am not a fan of interchangeable grip handles fwiw.

You will hear a lot of turners hate on scrapers as it...well scrapes the wood instead of cuts it like a bowl gouge. You can end up with a rough cut and tiny tears in the wood. Either keep it super sharp or be prepared to sand the poo poo out of it.

JEEVES420 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 13, 2018

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JEEVES420 posted:

Either keep it super sharp or be prepared to sand the poo poo out of it.

If the wood is at all punky from dry rot, spalting, etc, good luck even being able to sand it that well. You could easily be looking at damage spreading the fibers a millimeter or more into the wood.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I used a corded circular saw for awhile, and the cord was a pain in the rear end. You have to be constantly aware of where it is to make sure it doesn't get caught in something in the middle of a long cut (e.g. of a plywood sheet). Sure it has more power, but not so much more that it's worth having to deal with the cord IMO.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

moron izzard posted:

I'm looking to get a hss bowl scraper, at least 1" wide. Is there a particular brand that y'all would recommend? should I gently caress with negative rake?
I know nothing about bowl turning but do a whole lot of spindle turning and have always been happy with tools from any of the good English makers-Sorby, Henry Taylor, Ashley Iles etc. HSS is definitely good for turning stuff. You can also turn an old file into a scraper in about 15 min on a bench grinder-the tangs of all my files are all ground to so some weird tiny scraper profile. I’ve gotten lucky with cheap Chinese stuff off eBay occasionally too. Turning tools are all dead simple and you’re probably going to modify the profile to suit your needs anyway, so as long as the steel is good and you like the weight/handle I don’t think it matters too much on brand.

I am probably in the minority of turners, but I actually really like scrapers. They’re much safer and less likely to catch than a gouge, and if they do catch a corner it causes a much less serious disaster than a gouge. I use a skew flat on its side as a wide scraper on long tapered spindles too. Scrapers, like everything, do have to be kept sharp, but I think they are the easiest turning tool to sharpen- one swipe on the grinder puts a fresh burr on it. They don’t leave the best surface finish, but I sand everything anyway.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

If the wood is at all punky from dry rot, spalting, etc, good luck even being able to sand it that well. You could easily be looking at damage spreading the fibers a millimeter or more into the wood.

Cactus Juice and a vacuum chamber, got to stabilize that wood.

Or stop at the first signs and use thin CA glue and the lathe like a centrifuge to get in the cracks and stabilize it before it gets too bad.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'm just going to echo the "if you're a home gamer, pick whatever color you like best" with regards to tools. I got a good deal on Porter Cable when I started out so that's the brand I'll stick with until such time as I can no longer find compatible batteries. I have two corded circ saws but I still reach for the cordless one 9 times out of 10 because it's not noticeably less powerful unless I'm cutting something at the very edge of what I should be using a circ saw for.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can usually pull apart the battery packs and replace the individual cells. I remember my dad doing it with a few of his drill batteries, and the cells were like $1.50 a pop on digikey.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

You can usually pull apart the battery packs and replace the individual cells. I remember my dad doing it with a few of his drill batteries, and the cells were like $1.50 a pop on digikey.

It's easy like that for the NiCd/NiMH stuff, but a bit more of a dangerous proposition for the lithium ion stuff.

NiCd/NiMH don't tend to blow up on you.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I had a friend from the UK who claims to be a woodworker for some 15+ years. He's only been in the US for 2 years now and has liked the Dewalt 20v cordless a good bit vs most of the 110v corded stuff.

This is anecdotal but he claims that the mains power over there is a bit easier to get consistent power to corded tools vs here, I guess due to voltage differences? Anyway, take with a grain of salt but it was interesting to hear that rationale to advocate cordless.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We use 110v for jobsite tools, i.e. I was helping a guy drill and bolt down girders at work earlier this week and even a massive expensive hilti sdsmax still was getting bogged down on the necessary 100' extension cord, add in having to use the same cord to run a vacuum and you can hear one slow down when the other is turned on. I swear 2 cordless tools would have completed the job in half the time.

E: voltage drop is far more noticeable on 110v, I think is my point

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cakesmith handyman posted:

We use 110v for jobsite tools, i.e. I was helping a guy drill and bolt down girders at work earlier this week and even a massive expensive hilti sdsmax still was getting bogged down on the necessary 100' extension cord, add in having to use the same cord to run a vacuum and you can hear one slow down when the other is turned on. I swear 2 cordless tools would have completed the job in half the time.

Yeah he was bemoaning that for 110 with dust collection running etc.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Good point. Here's a hot tip if you don't want to splash cash for 10# wire (and who does?), and I do mean hot like don't try this if you're not totally comfortable with Sparky. Run that 100' off the 240v outlet on the pole, then make your own breakdown 120v demarc box closer to your work.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
:eyepop: and I thought a table saw was gonna be the most dangerous thing in the wood thread.

No way would 2 battery operated tools been able to do the job, much less faster. Never

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

No way would 2 battery operated tools been able to do the job, much less faster. Never
I feel like you have to be kidding, but just in case..

Good battery tools are way better than you think, some actually have significantly more power than the corded counterpart.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hypnolobster posted:

Good battery tools are way better than you think, some actually have significantly more power than the corded counterpart.

Like the old boy I learned trim carpentry would have said, "A hilti sdsmax has a lotta rear end in its britches" so battery tools that can match that- color me impressed.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hypnolobster posted:

I'm not kidding, I've had no luck doing heavy jobs with battery operated tools in the past and have lost decent time on jobs having to scramble to get corded tools. But the last time I was living the dream on a big job site was 5 years ago so maybe the tech has improved/I wasnt using real top shelf tools. If I thought I could do everything I wanted without a cord I would be doing that 100% FOR SURE

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Generally the current increases when the voltage drops so you should get the same power at the source, it shouldn't be bogging down. The problem with voltage drop is eventually the current gets high enough to trip the breaker or fuse.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

:eyepop: and I thought a table saw was gonna be the most dangerous thing in the wood thread.

I have been keeping it in the project thread but electricity is a fine woodworking utility :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEMdjrZXm_8

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'm not kidding, I've had no luck doing heavy jobs with battery operated tools in the past and have lost decent time on jobs having to scramble to get corded tools. But the last time I was living the dream on a big job site was 5 years ago so maybe the tech has improved/I wasnt using real top shelf tools. If I thought I could do everything I wanted without a cord I would be doing that 100% FOR SURE

Brushless dc motors might not have been accessible enough for most trades people 5 years ago. You can get significantly more torque and power with less battery drain.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JEEVES420 posted:

I have been keeping it in the project thread but electricity is a fine woodworking utility :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEMdjrZXm_8

My only sadness in that video is you didn't show the result. That's really cool otherwise.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jhet posted:

My only sadness in that video is you didn't show the result. That's really cool otherwise.

Board

Bowl

Jar/Box

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
That board is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Generally the current increases when the voltage drops so you should get the same power at the source, it shouldn't be bogging down. The problem with voltage drop is eventually the current gets high enough to trip the breaker or fuse.

Which is why I put in 20a breakers everywhere I plan to use power tools.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Those are just super cool and the bright colors just make it pop.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Here's a task: Let's say you have a piece of maple burl previously cut into a disk shape, 15" wide and 5" thick. You want to cut it in half, creating 2 disks.
Outside of buying a giant bandsaw and hoping you can grab hold of one "end" and not have it go shooting off until it hits something that stops it, how would you accomplish it?

I am currently at the stage where I have a 24" hand saw and SOMEWHAT of a guide jig.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

Here's a task: Let's say you have a piece of maple burl previously cut into a disk shape, 15" wide and 5" thick. You want to cut it in half, creating 2 disks.
Outside of buying a giant bandsaw and hoping you can grab hold of one "end" and not have it go shooting off until it hits something that stops it, how would you accomplish it?

I am currently at the stage where I have a 24" hand saw and SOMEWHAT of a guide jig.

Using a handsaw to cut down large pieces of maple into the sizes I need or are more manageable for other tools is what I've done in the last few months. I don't have a bandsaw or a chainsaw, but aside from using a chainsaw with a guide, I couldn't think of a better way to do it. I have a bunch more to do that isn't ready for using, but I think I'll just buy a nicer hand saw or go ask to use my neighbors bandsaw sometime.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jhet posted:

Using a handsaw to cut down large pieces of maple into the sizes I need or are more manageable for other tools is what I've done in the last few months. I don't have a bandsaw or a chainsaw, but aside from using a chainsaw with a guide, I couldn't think of a better way to do it. I have a bunch more to do that isn't ready for using, but I think I'll just buy a nicer hand saw or go ask to use my neighbors bandsaw sometime.

Yup, that was the reason for the hand saw purchase. Part of the issue is getting the cut started properly. It is a really decent (ratings-wise) saw but still flexible enough to worry me about making a non-bowed cut and the burl is hella dense. When I purchased the saw I figured 24" blade on a 15" piece would be plenty, but that only really allows so much back and forth.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Make yourself one of these:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBNt3PSxcTE
Seems like you could attach something to the frame that would act as a fence and run against the face of the wood to keep your cut straight/consistent. You could probably figure out some
sort of frame to mount the handsaw you already have to to act as a guide too.

To help start your cut and keep it true, scribe a line all the way around the perimeter of the burl at the right thickness then cut an inch deep or so all the way around. Having that kerf for the saw to ride in on both sides will help (but not guarantee!) your saw run straight.

A router sled like people use for flattening slabs might be your best bet for getting it cleaned up/flattened out after you do get it cut in half.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Make yourself one of these:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBNt3PSxcTE
Seems like you could attach something to the frame that would act as a fence and run against the face of the wood to keep your cut straight/consistent. You could probably figure out some
sort of frame to mount the handsaw you already have to to act as a guide too.

To help start your cut and keep it true, scribe a line all the way around the perimeter of the burl at the right thickness then cut an inch deep or so all the way around. Having that kerf for the saw to ride in on both sides will help (but not guarantee!) your saw run straight.

A router sled like people use for flattening slabs might be your best bet for getting it cleaned up/flattened out after you do get it cut in half.

The router sled thing is something I looked into and while a neat idea I would avoid it if I can, at least for this piece. If I can get it flat enough on the cut surface to use the sander on then I will be happy (as will the wife, who this is for to give as gifts)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Holy hell I would not want to do that with a handsaw. I haven't used one, but I agree that a frame saw looks like the right tool. You could also head to a lumber yard or woodworking/cabinet shop and ask if they would do it somehow for some money.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

ColdPie posted:

Holy hell I would not want to do that with a handsaw. I haven't used one, but I agree that a frame saw looks like the right tool. You could also head to a lumber yard or woodworking/cabinet shop and ask if they would do it somehow for some money.

Trust me, that was the first thing I did. The issue is not finding a saw big enough, but rather how to hold the piece while the giant saw is doing it's thing.

The offending disk:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 15, 2018

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hasselblad posted:

Trust me, that was the first thing I did. The issue is not finding a saw big enough, but rather how to hold the piece while the giant saw is doing it's thing.

The offending disk:

chainsaw with milling bar, #yolo

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

chainsaw with milling bar, #yolo

Doesn't look too bad to be honest I'd try it last resort

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hasselblad posted:

The offending disk:

Oh it is really an actual round disk, not a roughly disk shaped slice of tree that has flat parts on it. You could stick it to a faceplate on the lathe and probably get 1/4 of the way through with a parting tool that would then make a nice straight groove to guide your saw. Otherwise some kind of sled/jig to run it through a big bandsaw or clamp it to the rails of a horizontal bandsaw mill.

If you’d just started sawing with your hand saw 2 hours ago, you might be done by now?

Edit: I could see a jig for the bandsaw that was a flat piece of plywood with 4 wood blocks 2” thick glued to each edge. Use opposing pairs of wedges as clamps to hold the burl. Use a highboy fence on the bandsaw and clamp a board to the saw table that keeps the jig from being able to tip over. Slow slow feed rate and a good stuff blade and saw and I think you could be okay.

Edit edit: ^^ forget all that-just screw a square piece of plywood to the back so it cant roll, make sure your screws don't penetrate more than 2" and run it through a sufficiently large bandsaw slowly. Even for a saw with that much resaw capacity, 15" of hard rear end maple burl is going to be hard on it.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 15, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you’d just started sawing with your hand saw 2 hours ago, you might be done by now?

Yeah, honestly I think you're overthinking it. If you were going to be doing this routinely or wanted to use this project as an excuse to expand your toolkit, then that's one thing, but if you just want to cut some disks as a one-off, it seems to me like the handsaw and some sweat and blisters is the way to go.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Oh it is really an actual round disk, not a roughly disk shaped slice of tree that has flat parts on it.

The wide parts are obvious chainsaw cuts, but I haven't a clue how they managed the nearly perfect round diameter.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Only overthinking it as it set us back $50. Plus laziness.
I began to slowly saw it a short while ago and then I got around to other sparklie attention getting stuff (secret santa gifts and such)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 15, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hey thread. Fine woodworking this is not.

I make arcade cabinets and arcade games. Next month I'm doing a panel at a convention where the plan is for me to drag all of the chunks of the cabinet down in pieces and assemble it on stage while talking about how to build one. However, I'm going to need to do a bit of on-the-fly engineering while it's being built that I'd love to sort out by dryfitting it beforehand.

It's basically a big box anchored by the sides, which get some 3/4 x 3/4 cleats that all the front panels screw into

(not my photo but a decent illustration of what I'm talking about)

How good/bad of an idea is it to hold this thing together with hot glue while I try to reason some things out? Or is there a better way to hold it all together without going all in on screwing it together?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does it need to go apart again? Maybe two drops of super glue, one in each end, can work, and you can break it off afterwards. Or use it as work holding when screwing it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hot glue is actually great for that, and usually it breaks away cleanly when you knock it back apart. There is a chance the whole thing will fall apart while you're working on it though if you're asking the hot glue to do too much. It isn't quite a structural adhesive. Double sided carpet tape works okay too but it won't hold much weight at all. Can't you just screw it together and then unscrew/rescrew it? Nuts and bolts also make for good, repeatable assembly/disassembly.