Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

drgitlin posted:

Didn’t he have some dangerous overhanging thing on top of his bed too?

That was from a year previous to the notched joists in the electric thread. He made some ugly built in lighting/headboard combo thing. He was a turd then, giving us attitude for insisting he not violate code and do what he wanted instead.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two notch and mutilated wooden I-beams
Stand in the suburb. . . . Near them, on the ground,
Half sunk a shattered home lies, whose drywall,
And headboards, and concrete bike locks,
Tell that its DIY builder well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is bEatmstrJ , King of Kings;
Look on my tub, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and leveled tract housing stretch far away.”

LiVe lAuGh LoVe

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two notch and mutilated wooden I-beams
Stand in the suburb. . . . Near them, on the ground,
Half sunk a shattered home lies, whose drywall,
And headboards, and concrete bike locks,
Tell that its DIY builder well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is bEatmstrJ , King of Kings;
Look on my tub, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and leveled tract housing stretch far away.”

Art.

Also man that thread has been a wild ride. I've been reading the entire thing over the past few days -- I remember following it when it was fresh, but ended up losing track of it pretty early on after he was calling in contractors. What happened after that was just magical :allears:

He also seemed like a nice enough, if foolhardy, dude at first... but man, when the defensiveness over his sexism came out, wow. Total rear end in a top hat. That last followup quoted here really sealed the deal. IT WAS GONNA HAPPEN ANYWAY SO NO IT WASN'T A MISTAKE! Hahaha man what logic. If he'd never posted that thread, there's no doubt he would absolutely not have reinforced those joists and done the whole project himself with no contractor or structural engineer involvement. Hubris off the charts.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Crapper Construction Tales

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That's one way to make it flush.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zamujasa posted:

:tipshat:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Zamujasa posted:

You have to plan a head.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Deuces cracked by a flush.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Crapper Construction Tales

that's amateur hour

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FCKGW posted:

that's amateur hour

So there's no lock to keep someone else from pushing open the flap and watching me drop the deuce???

Also, that was a very nice solid wood door before they ruined it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

kid sinister posted:

So there's no lock to keep someone else from pushing open the flap and watching me drop the deuce???
Oh it locks alright if you push the flap closed when you shut the door.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kid sinister posted:

Also, that was a very nice solid wood door before they ruined it.

You tape a baggie to the inside of the door and make people push quarters through the flap for the peepshow.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
...or leave the flap open to vent out your toxic rear end in a top hat gasses into the hallway as permitted by code.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

kid sinister posted:

The flap needs to stay open or you wont be able to get out after without breaking the door/sink.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

poo poo, that looks better than a lot of "home theaters" I've seen in person.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah assuming there are no structural issues, that doesn’t break code (but it probably does if the wall opening isn’t sealed?), and that’s a spare space behind it — i think it’s a good move.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah looks like a laundry room, I've definitely seen worse.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

i'm never letting any of you freaks inside my house, jfc

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Dave posted:

Yeah assuming there are no structural issues, that doesn’t break code (but it probably does if the wall opening isn’t sealed?), and that’s a spare space behind it — i think it’s a good move.

Check out how the door in the other room opens.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Check out how the door in the other room opens.

Well thats why they put the big cushion on the handle.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

It's funny how technology advancements can make house 'mods' obsolete and stupid.

Another one I would add is people recommending multiple CAT5e/6 drops to every room in the house. 10 years ago when we were stuck with 802.11g and everything had an Ethernet port that sounded smart. Now, fast-enough WiFi and most devices being totally wireless makes those multiple runs of Ethernet about as valuable as the multiple runs of RJ11/TP sitting next to it crying out in loneliness for a POTS hookup.

That said, I did pull 2 CAT5e runs to my office recently, since I have desktops in there, but I'm not about to preemptively pull runs to rooms that will likely never use it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Ethernet drops are still useful in places that have a ton of wireless congestion like densely residential areas.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ethernet jacks are small and unobtrusive. Making a media cabinet for your rear projection TV is really drat obvious when it gets dated.

Also WiFi’s main problem now is congestion, not speed. The more people get WiFi in your area the worse it gets.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Ethernet in every room means you can add a WiFi access point in every room.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have a 16 port switch in my media cabinet, 12 ports full.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There are at least 15 home wifi networks in range of my townhouse. I'll gladly stick to Ethernet connections for anything even remotely important.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Guy Axlerod posted:

Ethernet in every room means you can add a WiFi access point in every room.

Mesh networks are surprisingly easy nowadays, and there's always MoCa as well. But when I'm less lazy I'm probably still going to run some Ethernet, since it would be nice to have the cable modem tucked away somewhere, add a NAS with a fast and reliable backhaul, etc. (Though my Synology AR/MR link appears pretty drat fast so far, it's still slower than wired. I'm a detached house, too, if I were in a condo or townhome I'd definitely wire it up.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My impression is that the smart thing to do currently is to run conduit, which can then be used to supply many types of wire.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I certainly prefer a wired connection over wireless, but besides my home automation junk (Smartthings/Hue) that lives next to the primary switch (and ironically use a wireless protocol themselves), I just don't see enough devices that still support wired to justify drops in every room. Even media streamers, which are guaranteed to require decent bandwidth, have largely tossed the Ethernet port (except for high-end models.)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Maybe that woulda looked cool 15 years ago, but a 60" TV is like 600 bucks nowadays. Not worth the effort/risk/money to do that today.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Load-bearing TV.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lain Iwakura posted:

Load-bearing TV.

That was my thought as well: what are the odds they framed out that hole properly after cutting the studs? Load-bearing wall or not, it still needs proper framing or it's asking for trouble.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

That was my thought as well: what are the odds they framed out that hole properly after cutting the studs? Load-bearing wall or not, it still needs proper framing or it's asking for trouble.

Zero. Look at the back of the TV. They didn't even cut the drywall straight.

To do that properly you'd need a header and jack studs. To put those in that you'd need cut back more drywall and then patch. It's pretty obvious from the "workmanship" none of that was done.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
looks like that tv uses the No Trace of Safety Concerns format

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My impression is that the smart thing to do currently is to run conduit, which can then be used to supply many types of wire.

This is the way to go. Of course, adding conduit to a finished house is a pain in the rear end. The conduit runs don't even have to be all the way to a central location either. You can just run it to an attic or basement where it's easy to feed in wires.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
And for everybody's sake, no matter what method of wire run you do, please also run a pullcord of some sort alongside.

Future you will thank you.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
As I work on wrapping up a hidden fort I built into the side of my kids closet in a wall space above a staircase I'll need to share some of the crazy lengths of making a room for barely two kids fitting inside of it hold a god drat grizzly bear in terms of weight loading.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Queen Combat posted:

And for everybody's sake, no matter what method of wire run you do, please also run a pullcord of some sort alongside.

this so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

B-Nasty posted:

It's funny how technology advancements can make house 'mods' obsolete and stupid.

Another one I would add is people recommending multiple CAT5e/6 drops to every room in the house. 10 years ago when we were stuck with 802.11g and everything had an Ethernet port that sounded smart. Now, fast-enough WiFi and most devices being totally wireless makes those multiple runs of Ethernet about as valuable as the multiple runs of RJ11/TP sitting next to it crying out in loneliness for a POTS hookup.

That said, I did pull 2 CAT5e runs to my office recently, since I have desktops in there, but I'm not about to preemptively pull runs to rooms that will likely never use it.

I ran network and phone (existing phone was... substandard, and ran outside under the eaves, because the original inside wiring was even worse) in my house. Then WiFi got cheap. Ah, well. I still use the wired connections for my Xbox and other streaming devices.

Queen Combat posted:

Did that, too. Haven't needed it yet, but it cost me almost nothing to do. Similarly, it's why I ran phone and network at the same time.