Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yuns posted:

Technically I'm at the rank where stripes (now degrees) come automatically every 3 years. So I was supposed to get the first degree on my black belt. I felt super awkward even at my level reminding my instructor that I am now eligible for 1st degree. In 3 more years when I get my second degree I will under IBJJF rules be able to promote my own black belts. This is the only reason I care about bb degrees.

When you get that can you fast track me to purple so I can fit in with the cool kids at my gym?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Decades posted:

Had a rough demoralizing class this morning wherein I got dismantled every round by folks across experience levels, size, age, and gender. I'm coming back from a cold so maybe still half a step slow, but regardless everyone else was three steps ahead every roll and I just had nothing. I guess its an off day to some extent and they happen, but still, currently feeling like I need a remedial class and a demotion. 

That was me last week, and last night (Monday) I sparred against three purple belts for what felt like an eternity and I felt pretty bad because I just got picked apart. Then after they all gave me pointers and helped me so I felt less bad.

Edit - that said, i seem to get the back bridge sweep (opponent is in side youre on your back) a lot and I have no real explanation why other than maybe I'm bigger than the opponent but even that doesn't make sense to me. Can one of the more experienced guys help out with why I seem to get that off like 70% of the time I attempt it? This is against white belts up to purples tho I feel the purples let it happen to set something else up but it seems to catch a bunch of blues and whotes off guard.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 18, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

snip

"You cause me headaches because I see a purple belt but i want to make sure you are comfortable with the belt once you get it."

You have a coach who is actively interested in promoting you. He's trying to figure out how to do it while maintaining his (clearly very high) standards. He's communicating this to you, and giving you advice and metrics to help you.

You yourself seem highly motivated.

This is honestly the best combination possible and is a lot better then lots of gym environments. I was passed up for blue repeatedly to the point that my teammates were apologizing to me when they were promoted, and in the end the owner of the school insisted in promoting me instead of the black belt. I never got goals or advice or any info at all on how to progress, except to show up to class which I did more than my instructor.

Yeah 10 years is a loving long time. But Purple is a serious rank, its a teaching rank, its black belt or higher in almost every other art and it should not be given out ceremonially or based on time put in. You really need to know your poo poo inside and out. If you stick with it a bit longer (and really, hopefully forever) you'll not only get your purple but you'll be a purple belt under a coach that clearly knows his stuff, such that you will be completely confident in your worthiness and your skills.

Keep it up.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

But a side effect of my inconsistent training history is that I have areas of excellence and areas that I struggle, and the quality of my fundamentals varies pretty hard from area to area. My coach likes me and treats me a weird and interesting aberration who will occasionally be unable to finish a basic guillotine but who can also tap a lot of the purples. Because he likes me he's also got high expectations of me, though, and I am occasionally pretty retarded.

It might be exacerbated somewhat by your training history, but "good at some things and bad at others in relative terms" is much more the rule than the exception in BJJ. I have a friend who's very close to my size who has trained at the exact same gyms as me for the exact same amount of time, and our strongest moves and positions have zero overlap between us.

Mekchu posted:

Edit - that said, i seem to get the back bridge sweep (opponent is in side youre on your back) a lot and I have no real explanation why other than maybe I'm bigger than the opponent but even that doesn't make sense to me. Can one of the more experienced guys help out with why I seem to get that off like 70% of the time I attempt it? This is against white belts up to purples tho I feel the purples let it happen to set something else up but it seems to catch a bunch of blues and whotes off guard.

Reversals from bottom side control feel like magic tricks; I love 'em. If it's the one where you bridge into them, that reversal (technically not a sweep and won't score points in competition!) they're probably letting their torso get too parallel with yours. Even some purple belts aren't necessarily great at adjusting their position to maintain side control (see above comment about strengths and weaknesses), but it's also very possible to hit that one when someone tries to step over from side control to mount if your timing is good. I also like to hook my leg on theirs so that they carry me up with them if they try to backstep to stop it, but there's definitely a skill ceiling for people that will fall for that.

If it's the one where you bridge away from them, they're probably putting their weight too far forward and/or keeping their hips too high.

Either way, yes, it's much easier to roll people smaller than you in all cases.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mekchu posted:

This is against white belts up to purples tho I feel the purples let it happen to set something else up but it seems to catch a bunch of blues and whotes off guard.

Reversals are something I haven't really seen taught. I do them because I like looking up cheeky stuff like the revenge americana or the undertaker reversal, but when I do it I get shade thrown at me because I'm a big dude. I then go on to teach light weight white belts this voodoo and they catch even some of the competitive blue belts with it and it makes me smile. The thing you have to remember with reversals is, yes they are easier to accomplish against a small dude, but the weight difference has to be ginormous if you want to cheat and muscle it versus getting the placement right.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Most people won't become black belts. There's only like 4k in the world, not making it seems fine. Being only a blue belt you can still kill like 95% of the world population.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nestharken posted:

It might be exacerbated somewhat by your training history, but "good at some things and bad at others in relative terms" is much more the rule than the exception in BJJ. I have a friend who's very close to my size who has trained at the exact same gyms as me for the exact same amount of time, and our strongest moves and positions have zero overlap between us.

Reversals from bottom side control feel like magic tricks; I love 'em. If it's the one where you bridge into them, that reversal (technically not a sweep and won't score points in competition!) they're probably letting their torso get too parallel with yours. Even some purple belts aren't necessarily great at adjusting their position to maintain side control (see above comment about strengths and weaknesses), but it's also very possible to hit that one when someone tries to step over from side control to mount if your timing is good. I also like to hook my leg on theirs so that they carry me up with them if they try to backstep to stop it, but there's definitely a skill ceiling for people that will fall for that.

If it's the one where you bridge away from them, they're probably putting their weight too far forward and/or keeping their hips too high.

Either way, yes, it's much easier to roll people smaller than you in all cases.

Defenestrategy posted:

Reversals are something I haven't really seen taught. I do them because I like looking up cheeky stuff like the revenge americana or the undertaker reversal, but when I do it I get shade thrown at me because I'm a big dude. I then go on to teach light weight white belts this voodoo and they catch even some of the competitive blue belts with it and it makes me smile. The thing you have to remember with reversals is, yes they are easier to accomplish against a small dude, but the weight difference has to be ginormous if you want to cheat and muscle it versus getting the placement right.

Cheers for the advice.

For a better explanation, the move I'm referring to is the one they do first in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9k4OqGi4I0

As I said, it just seems weird I'm able to get it out with consistency against guys I'd say are better skilled than I am. The purple belts I got it on I just assumed they were happy with the position change but it seemed to baffle/throw off the other guys (blue belts and white belts) when it was done. But from my experience that was one of the first moves I learned so maybe that's why it's odd to me.

Edit - Side thing, tonight we did a full session of sparring and that was a lot of fun as I was paired mostly with the blues and higher white belts and I felt like I did well with the tips I was given yesterday. Even got a few ezekials off which my head instructor was happy about, so that was a nice moment. :yayclod:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 18, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

Being only a blue belt you can still kill like 95% of the world population.

That's probably a gross over estimate.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thats fascinating, that there are only 4 thousand black belts in the world. If have thought it would be much higher since, O feel like, the explosion of Jiu Jitsu popularity was already ten or so years ago. But as you say, most dont get there. How has the black belt population changed over the years? Can anyone make a guess at how many there might be in five years? In ten?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JaySB posted:

There's like 7 billion white belts in the world

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thats fascinating, that there are only 4 thousand black belts in the world. If have thought it would be much higher since, O feel like, the explosion of Jiu Jitsu popularity was already ten or so years ago. But as you say, most dont get there. How has the black belt population changed over the years? Can anyone make a guess at how many there might be in five years? In ten?

in five years there will be 6,000 black belts

in ten years, as the karate wars end, there will be only one

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

As the sport gets more popular it will just be harder and harder to make black belt.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hadn't considered that; the skill level associated with black belts keeps going up. Kinda of like how they have to keep adjusting IQ tests because we'd all be however many points higher if we went and took one from, for example, the 80s.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Mekchu posted:

Cheers for the advice.

For a better explanation, the move I'm referring to is the one they do first in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9k4OqGi4I0

As I said, it just seems weird I'm able to get it out with consistency against guys I'd say are better skilled than I am. The purple belts I got it on I just assumed they were happy with the position change but it seemed to baffle/throw off the other guys (blue belts and white belts) when it was done. But from my experience that was one of the first moves I learned so maybe that's why it's odd to me.

Ah, that's another fun one. I also had a lot of success with that earlier this year until guys started getting wise to it (notice that the top guy's arm is free to post in the direction of the roll). I'd guess that most BJJ schools (including yours) focus so much on the guard that most people's biggest perceived threat from someone on bottom side control is the possibility of them reguarding, which leaves a blind spot that you've managed to exploit.

Speaking of reguarding, once they *do* figure out that they can post to shut it down, you'll still usually have created enough space to slip a knee back inside and start working back to a guard.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
This is definitely a thing that happened.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 18, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Image not working

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yuns posted:

Nice! Congrats Yuns.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Congrats man, are you going to get the stripe sown on?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Odddzy posted:

Congrats man, are you going to get the stripe sown on?
Nope. I'll just retape it if and when it comes off in the wash. No congrats needed though. It's more or less automatic for active black belts in good standing. Next degree comes in 3 years after which I am eligible to promote my own black belts.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yuns posted:

Congrats dude. That's insane..

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yuns posted:

Next degree comes in 3 years after which I am eligible to promote my own black belts.

Is that five years total to promote black belts yourself? Also, unnecessary congratulations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Nope. I'll just retape it if and when it comes off in the wash. No congrats needed though. It's more or less automatic for active black belts in good standing. Next degree comes in 3 years after which I am eligible to promote my own black belts.

Nah man, congrats are always in order. That's an accomplishment either way.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is that five years total to promote black belts yourself? Also, unnecessary congratulations.
6 years total as a black belt to become a 2nd degre black belt after which the IBJJF recognizes your ability to award your own black belts.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

You think? Having rolled with people who have never rolled and have only just seen, its like a hot knife going through butter, and I am very much a white belt.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yuns posted:

6 years total as a black belt to become a 2nd degre black belt after which the IBJJF recognizes your ability to award your own black belts.

Do you plan to open your own gym?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

You think? Having rolled with people who have never rolled and have only just seen, its like a hot knife going through butter, and I am very much a white belt.

There's a lot more people that wrestle, box, do Muay Thai, kickbox, judo, and MMA than you'd think. I know plenty of blue belts who can't get the fight to the ground.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

No glasses + belt selfie. Doesn't count.

Congrats dude.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

heeebrew posted:

I went to some KBBQ place in SF the other night and walked right by Bay Jiu Jitsu. Just wanted to say hi to my goon grappling friends.

Oh, hey, that's my gym. Come say HEY some day

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Congrats, Yuns! I always appreciate your contributions to the thread's discussion!

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Yuns posted:

Very cool, friend

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuns posted:

that's incredible man congratulations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Yuns posted:

so can you throw fireballs yet

JaySB posted:

I know plenty of blue belts who can't get the fight to the ground.

that's because the true path of the blue belt is to sit on your butt on wave at them to engage

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yuns posted:

nice

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

There's a lot more people that wrestle, box, do Muay Thai, kickbox, judo, and MMA than you'd think. I know plenty of blue belts who can't get the fight to the ground.

You reckon? I know all the main gyms in my relatively big city, there's maybe 500 students max at them all put together. There are 440,000 people in my city. Let's assume I'm a massive moron and there's actually 5000 people in my city who do train or have trained, that's 1.1%

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So I was curious about jumping guard, so I looked on youtube.

Holy moley are there some horrific injuries.

I do have a question though, if someone jumps guard on you what are your options? I saw some videos of guys just (what looked like) falling forward and getting dq'd for slamming.

willie_dee posted:

You reckon? I know all the main gyms in my relatively big city, there's maybe 500 students max at them all put together. There are 440,000 people in my city. Let's assume I'm a massive moron and there's actually 5000 people in my city who do train or have trained, that's 1.1%

Hey man, everybody took the free week of karate classes when they were 6.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nestharken posted:

Ah, that's another fun one. I also had a lot of success with that earlier this year until guys started getting wise to it (notice that the top guy's arm is free to post in the direction of the roll). I'd guess that most BJJ schools (including yours) focus so much on the guard that most people's biggest perceived threat from someone on bottom side control is the possibility of them reguarding, which leaves a blind spot that you've managed to exploit.

Speaking of reguarding, once they *do* figure out that they can post to shut it down, you'll still usually have created enough space to slip a knee back inside and start working back to a guard.

I only started at this school in November but they mostly seem top game focused. Our curriculum has mostly been knee slice guard passes. Our coach may do 50/50 guard but he messed his knee up playing soccer the other week and has been having the purple velts and blue belts do the drilling while he sits on the side and watch. I also sometimes trap that far arm to stop the post. One time also just sort of cradled their head (arm over like a guillotine so their chin was touching their chest) but found that to be a bit harder. Its a great reversal or whatever you want to call it and I feel like getting it off consistently has helped my bottom side game a lot.

And yeah I drill regaurding from bottom side control a lot during our 5min review time at the syart of class. I've yet to do it from full bottom side control but if they give me the space I can get a good half guard. Never a full one though.

Yuns posted:

Grats!

Edit - Kurt Osiander is coming to Korea. Has anyone done a seminar by him or anything and can speak to if I should head up to Seoul where its likely to be held?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 19, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding Blue Belt combat supremacy, wouldn't it be more useful to stop worrying about what percentage of the world population you could defeat (because I'm sure any blue belt could physically, mentally, and emotionally dominate the starving children of Africa) and instead ask "how easily can someone with a Blue Belt beat a man in his early 20's that wants to start a fist fight". And the answer is probably "most of them if it's 1on1, few of them if it's 2+on1 or weapons are involved". C`mon guys, worrying about what percentage of Americans currently or previously trained isn't really the issue.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

omg chael crash posted:

Oh, hey, that's my gym. Come say HEY some day

weren't you at Ralph's for a while? have you heard anything through the grapevine about him assaulting Flavio Almeida?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I do have a question though, if someone jumps guard on you what are your options? I saw some videos of guys just (what looked like) falling forward and getting dq'd for slamming.

Be as graceful as possible. There's not a whole lot you can do that A) Won't get you submitted B) Won't get your knees/back injured and/or C) isn't slamming the other guy according to overzealous ibjjf refs.

But, yea gently caress anyone whose jumping guard or advocates for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

TFW you enter into a position subconsciously: bliss. I did it with x-guard the other day beautifully and my sparring partner and I just looked at each other with this "woah" look on our faces that both made us laugh; kind of like neither of us were expecting that.

CommonShore posted:

*Very few newer white belts are any kind of a threat to me

By the time youre a mid level blue belt I kind of feel that this should happen naturally. However I did have another encounter with a white belt (two stripe) that I gave the omoplata to (to test an escape) and then immediately was in a "oh poo poo" moment when my escape didnt work to plan. I did manage to get out of it though and regain control but goddamn it took some work.