Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018

Big Data posted:

Just a follow up. We're taking it very slow when it comes to the crate, desensitizing, and other training. We're chipping away at his anxiety a little bit. We have a good size fenced backyard, and while he's always allowed indoors, he seems to be liking the outdoors a lot the past couple days.

We have a breeder friend (she deals with huskies/samoyeds) and he was able to play with other dogs his size a good bit. She's also trying to introduce into the world of pulls and other physical events, which seems like a good idea. The original owners sent over his documents so he's good to go if that's his thing.

Video cameras (furbo something or other) arriving tommorow so we can observe him alone outside the crate. Starting to suspect that he's much less emotionally screwed up and a lot smarter than I thought, though.

We keep him in doggy day care when we have to leave. He is definitely feeling more comfortable at home and in day care. He is able to jump all the fences at day care. I can watch him on video all day and mostly he plays with puppies and larger dogs (outside the jumping). He is now doing this thing where he stalks dogs with toys and bites the backs of their necks until they let go. The staff are able to stop him with voice commands, but they have to be vigilant. I haven't noticed this behavior at the dog park. Maybe he wasn't socialized well but his past is a black hole to me. Let me know if there's something else I can do to help him. I wake up at 5 am and walk him for an hour, bring him to day care, then walk him for another hour after. I take him for long hikes in the mountains (9+ miles) at this point. His prey drive is really strong now, so we've moved our cat out of the home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My dog has figured out that if she chews her toy on the couch I’ll get up and “play” when she ignored me telling her no toy on the couch. I’ll repeat the command in a stern voice and take the toy from her and drop it on the floor. She then waits for me to sit back down and picks it up and just right back up and looks at me and starts wagging her tail.

Help goons

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My dog has figured out that if she chews her toy on the couch I’ll get up and “play” when she ignored me telling her no toy on the couch. I’ll repeat the command in a stern voice and take the toy from her and drop it on the floor. She then waits for me to sit back down and picks it up and just right back up and looks at me and starts wagging her tail.

Help goons

Puppies gotta chew. And your letting her on the couch........

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Don't put it back on the floor. Take it with you to your couch.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, incorrect play gets the toy taken away, at least for a couple of minutes. Long enough for the dog to recognize they're being punished and then forget what was going on).

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bombadilillo posted:

Puppies gotta chew. And your letting her on the couch........

Of course she’s allowed on the couch! She’s three, not a puppy. I adopted her in June.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Don't put it back on the floor. Take it with you to your couch.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, incorrect play gets the toy taken away, at least for a couple of minutes. Long enough for the dog to recognize they're being punished and then forget what was going on).

Got it. Thanks!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The beage can open doors, flush toilets, fetch my shoes and remote, but somehow can't work out how to cover herself with a blanket. She's a weird one.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

And your letting her on the couch........

My dogs are monsters!

But really, I understand not wanting your dogs (or cats) on every surface in your house. I, personally, love having pets on couches and in my bed. The huge problem comes in when people in the household aren't consistent with where there are allowed.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
My dog had a poopsplosion all over my white carpet. Every time I think the poopsplosion is finished, somehow she produces more poo poo while my back is turned. I've been cleaning as best as I can (yes, I'm using Nature's Helper) but the stains are lingering. Any suggestions for getting doggy shitstains out of carpet?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The carpet's white? Would bleach help?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Hell, it's worth a shot. Any suggestions for applying it? I rarely use bleach.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Nope! I've only ever used bleach to kill things, not to remove color. I suggest google.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Try Folex from home depot. If that doesnt work, renting a steam cleaner should.

Dont use bleach, unless you carpet is platinum white. At least test in a closet hidden corner first. But it's probably a bad idea.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

A carpet cleaner would be a good call. We got a handheld one a bit back and it's been a big help. You occasionally do want to go get a biggun and do a serious clean though.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

We just got a beagle that I think has some separation anxiety issues. Are there any goon approved busy toys or chews that would tide her over until I can check on her at lunch time? We had a kong wobbler for our last beagle but he mastered it in a day so it seems like those dog puzzle toys would be a waste unless we filled the room with them.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Move up to the Kong Genius toys. I used dog food instead of treats.

I got one of those puzzles but I don't feel like it's something I can leave my dogs unsupervised with. It's cute to watch them figure it out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Budget Dracula posted:

We just got a beagle that I think has some separation anxiety issues. Are there any goon approved busy toys or chews that would tide her over until I can check on her at lunch time? We had a kong wobbler for our last beagle but he mastered it in a day so it seems like those dog puzzle toys would be a waste unless we filled the room with them.

Was a big fan of this for my basset when he was a solo dog. Now it really only gets used if one is passed out.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ARUKTG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not very good for the crate though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My girlfriend has a teeny tiny little dog (half chihuahua/half italian greyhound) and I know zero about dogs in general and tiny short-haired dogs in particular. If I want to take him out for walks, and it's cold where we're going to be, does he need boots, a sweater, both, neither, something else I don't know about? He has a harness with a leash but he's never needed to be coldproofed before.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Greyhounds and chihuahuas are both breeds I've seen wearing sweaters, so it makes sense that a cross would want them as well. Also holy hell, that dog must be like 98% nerves, both of its parents are skittish breeds.

As for boots, my impression is that usually you need those more for when it's really hot than when it's cold.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ice and salt are bad for the pads, but good loving luck getting your dog to wear boots, we have had a hell of a time with that for our dog. I'm still trying to get him to like the boots because his pads are really bad and will crack+bleed after a good few days of salt walking.

Sweaters are good for any short haired dog imo, our dog is a boxer/pit mix (I think) with a short semi-think coat; he loves the sweater once we get to 20 and below because he can stand being outside for more than 10 minutes.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My girlfriend has a teeny tiny little dog (half chihuahua/half italian greyhound) and I know zero about dogs in general and tiny short-haired dogs in particular. If I want to take him out for walks, and it's cold where we're going to be, does he need boots, a sweater, both, neither, something else I don't know about? He has a harness with a leash but he's never needed to be coldproofed before.

I have the world's coldest Boston Terrier. I bought him a Canada Pooch parka and a t-shirt. We layer them. When it snows, he wears boots. Sometimes he wears a hat. I try to cover as much of him as physically possible, because he has been known to just stop walking and need to get home ASAP.

The key is to get everything on the dog and then get them moving. If they slow down they may fuss, but once they're moving they're good.

Also get the boots on really well and pray they stay on. Good luck getting them back on if they come off mid walk.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Try mushers secret. Its created to protect sled dogs feet from the snow/ice. I put it on my Vizslas pads when we're bird hunting to protect them from getting rubbed raw and when we go hiking in the snow/ice. It works pretty good and doesn't come off like boots. I would assume it would work pretty good on salty sidewalks too.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Oh that looks like some good stuff, the big issue we are currently having with keeping the pads (at least the front) in good shape is that our dude will lick everything off within 5-10 minutes of putting it on so nothing absorbs or has a chance to set.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
We got a lil 8 week old beagle/blue tick puppy from a private rescue about a week ago.

The whole foster home with the litter of literal dumpster puppies were exposed to parvo through a neighbor's dog at the foster home, and they got the word from the neighbor the day after we picked her up. The next day she was showing all the common symptoms, but we should have known something was up beforehand because who knows a beagle that isn't incredibly food motivated?

The rescue might actually have to cease functioning after attempting to pay down around 30k in vet bills. We paid for knope's hospitalization ourselves and her adjacent cell mate was a brother who got adopted out same day. I don't think he made it. It's a loving bummer, we'd have paid ten times as much for her if we could have. 1500 and change, plus another 500 to the rescue as a donation because it's just not right.

The neighbor is placing blame on the rescue for getting them their first round of vaccinations, because he's an antivaxx loon who only vaccinates for the legally required poo poo.

Can I piss on his house and punch him in the throat?

In other news socialization with our other three animals is going well. The cat doesn't pay any mind unless the puppy escapes and runs after her, and our other two dogs are slowly starting to like the idea of the new kid.

Earlier today the pup grabbed a favorite toy, which instigated the world's largest play bow from our aussie mix, Chew. Chew flew too close to the sun, got nervous and ran away, which meant I had to snatch up knope the puppy before she made it worse by giving chase. I give it three weeks or so before there's a cuddle pile.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Can this thread recommend any guides for introducing a puppy to a house where there are already adult cats living there?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

Can this thread recommend any guides for introducing a puppy to a house where there are already adult cats living there?

Cats will probably stalk the dog for a few days. Then ignore it forever or love it forever. My puppy didnt bark at them and saw more scared of the big predators (smart dog)

General dog introduction. Let the dog sniff cat things like a blanket and give treats to positive associate the smells.

Edit: not a guide. But I didnt have any problems :shrug: not that you won't.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 22, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

We got a lil 8 week old beagle/blue tick puppy from a private rescue about a week ago.

The whole foster home with the litter of literal dumpster puppies were exposed to parvo through a neighbor's dog at the foster home, and they got the word from the neighbor the day after we picked her up. The next day she was showing all the common symptoms, but we should have known something was up beforehand because who knows a beagle that isn't incredibly food motivated?

The rescue might actually have to cease functioning after attempting to pay down around 30k in vet bills. We paid for knope's hospitalization ourselves and her adjacent cell mate was a brother who got adopted out same day. I don't think he made it. It's a loving bummer, we'd have paid ten times as much for her if we could have. 1500 and change, plus another 500 to the rescue as a donation because it's just not right.

The neighbor is placing blame on the rescue for getting them their first round of vaccinations, because he's an antivaxx loon who only vaccinates for the legally required poo poo.

Can I piss on his house and punch him in the throat?

In other news socialization with our other three animals is going well. The cat doesn't pay any mind unless the puppy escapes and runs after her, and our other two dogs are slowly starting to like the idea of the new kid.

Earlier today the pup grabbed a favorite toy, which instigated the world's largest play bow from our aussie mix, Chew. Chew flew too close to the sun, got nervous and ran away, which meant I had to snatch up knope the puppy before she made it worse by giving chase. I give it three weeks or so before there's a cuddle pile.

Post the hound friend. Our bagel ONLY cares about food so I’m having a hard time picturing one that doesn’t, but dogs is weird sometimes. You’ve got yourself a vocal lil thing on your hands it sounds like, I’m a bit jealous. Ours is about silent.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bombadilillo posted:

Cats will probably stalk the dog for a few days. Then ignore it forever or love it forever. My puppy didnt bark at them and saw more scared of the big predators (smart dog)

General dog introduction. Let the dog sniff cat things like a blanket and give treats to positive associate the smells.

Edit: not a guide. But I didnt have any problems :shrug: not that you won't.

thx tho buddy

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Okay, quick question! My little idiot went and got himself stuck in 21 leg staples about a week ago, and he is going stir crazy in my house. He's not getting them out for at least another week but I wanted to know when I could resume light exercise or take him on a short walk again.

Keeping a pittie/greyhound mix in the house for two weeks is detrimental to everyone's mental well being. :psyduck:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ask the vet. How would we know?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I have an non spayed 2.5 year old Australian Shepherd who is friendly to people and most dogs.
She lives with my spayed black lab mutt, my spayed pomeranian, and another neutered Australian Shepard.
Yesterday she flipped her poo poo trying to attack a nurtured Golden Doodle a friend brought over. She ended up biting my arm when I pulled her away. Is there a reason she just hates this one dog for no reason? I've never seen her like this before. She lost her mind. It was like a flip switched in her brain. When I was able to get her away from the other dog she calmed back down like nothing happened.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RC Cola posted:

I have an non spayed 2.5 year old Australian Shepherd who is friendly to people and most dogs.
She lives with my spayed black lab mutt, my spayed pomeranian, and another neutered Australian Shepard.
Yesterday she flipped her poo poo trying to attack a nurtured Golden Doodle a friend brought over. She ended up biting my arm when I pulled her away. Is there a reason she just hates this one dog for no reason? I've never seen her like this before. She lost her mind. It was like a flip switched in her brain. When I was able to get her away from the other dog she calmed back down like nothing happened.

No clue but please, please spay her.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

StrixNebulosa posted:

No clue but please, please spay her.

I already scheduled it for later this week.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RC Cola posted:

I already scheduled it for later this week.

Thank you!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

RC Cola posted:

Without any more specifics, best guess is a combination of the other dog coming in with some weird body language and the age of your dog.

Most aggression behaviors manifest between about 1-3 years. I would treat this as a serious warning sign and be really conscientious about dog-dog interactions from here on out (every time it happens, it makes it more likely to happen). Read up on body language and practice off-leash recalls and on-leash u-turns so you might be able to see potential problems and avoid them.

There's always a possibility of an underlying medical reason as well - if other escalating behaviors show up get a thorough vet check.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have a dog that doesn't seem interested in taking a piss when I bring him out unless it's been a long rear end time since he went previously. Today is a typical example:

7:00 AM Walked a mile, pissed and pooped.
3:30 PM Kid takes him out after school. Dog doesn't do anything but sniff around for 10 minutes.
7:30 PM: I take him out again. Sniffs around, doesn't do anything.
at 9:00 PM tonight, I will take him out again and he will eventually piss.

He's 3.5 years old, never has an accident inside, has free roam of the house (and access to water) all day long, extremely friendly. He's a 70 pound Poodle/Bernese Mountain Dog mix.

Any ideas?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm doing heartworm treatments again. At least it's on a different dog, the first one tested negative 6 months after her round.

The tramadol and prednisone prescriptions they sent me home with don't make sense though. If I give them as directed, the tramadol will be out in a week but it'll take 5 weeks to finish the prednisone. His next appointment for the other two shots is in 4 weeks. I'm going to have to call in the morning for clarification.

I'll give them as prescribed tonight and in the morning. It looks like the amount of tramadol in each dose is right compared to the dose my half-sized pup had last year. I think they just gave me one week worth instead of the two weeks we did last year. The prednisone looks like the same dosing but they gave me way more pills. I don't have the specific instructions from last year, just the milligrams and the number of pills dispensed.

I'll sort it out in the morning. At least now I've got my thoughts organized.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

daslog posted:

I have a dog that doesn't seem interested in taking a piss when I bring him out unless it's been a long rear end time since he went previously. Today is a typical example:

7:00 AM Walked a mile, pissed and pooped.
3:30 PM Kid takes him out after school. Dog doesn't do anything but sniff around for 10 minutes.
7:30 PM: I take him out again. Sniffs around, doesn't do anything.
at 9:00 PM tonight, I will take him out again and he will eventually piss.

He's 3.5 years old, never has an accident inside, has free roam of the house (and access to water) all day long, extremely friendly. He's a 70 pound Poodle/Bernese Mountain Dog mix.

Any ideas?

How much water is he drinking?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Are you walking the dog when you take him out and he doesn't eliminate? Getting exercise helps encourage urination and bowel movements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

How much water is he drinking?

A good bit. Empties the water bowl every day.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are you walking the dog when you take him out and he doesn't eliminate? Getting exercise helps encourage urination and bowel movements.

Not too far. Maybe a block or two.