Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I made a 6' knockdown Nicholson bench with just a 2012 Prius, a cheap rear end cordless drill, a hammer and chisel and a decent handsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is there any safe/easy way of disinfecting an old table covered in rodent poo poo without destroying the wood? A local auction is selling off this old coffee table. No bids yet (so I can get it ultra cheap) but it comes with a free serving of Hanta virus.

It'd be awesome if I could get the tabletop for cheap for a computer desk build.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

melon cat posted:

Is there any safe/easy way of disinfecting an old table covered in rodent poo poo without destroying the wood? A local auction is selling off this old coffee table. No bids yet (so I can get it ultra cheap) but it comes with a free serving of Hanta virus.

It'd be awesome if I could get the tabletop for cheap for a computer desk build.

Spray it down with Lysol, wipe down with gloves while wearing a mask, spray down again and wipe down, repeat as needed, wipe dry, leave in direct sunlight to dry. Leptospirosis and hanta and poo poo won't survive that.

I'm a microbiology professor irl.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

Spray it down with Lysol, wipe down with gloves while wearing a mask, spray down again and wipe down, repeat as needed, wipe dry, leave in direct sunlight to dry. Leptospirosis and hanta and poo poo won't survive that.

I'm a microbiology professor irl.

Imagine my luck when getting a response to this question. Thanks, Prof MicroBio.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Got this 9' long white oak parsons table out of the shop today-it's heavy as poo poo. It was some pretty tricky construction for something that looks so simple, but that's always how it works. The aprons are double mortise and tenoned (which was probably really overkill, but couldn't make the mortises very deep because of the mitered cheeks) into the legs, and then there is a floating panel screwed to a frame underneath to keep everything flat. Added some beefy corner blocks with a hanger bolt for added overkill, I was just (probably unreasonably) worried about such a big frame without much rigidity compared to a normal table top that is screwed to the aprons and keeps it all rigid and square. Veneer might have been simpler/easier (even though veneer is never simpler or easier), but with the limed finish it would have required thick veneer and worrying about glue bleeding through the open grain.

Not my favorite color to turn white oak, but it's not bad for a contemporary look. Brushed the whoooole thing with a stiff stainless wire brush to really open up the grain so it would take the white glaze and liming wax. I really loved the look of it after the wire brushing but before stain-had a nice burnished sort of shine to it that would have looked great just with some wax.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Got this 9' long white oak parsons table out of the shop today-it's heavy as poo poo. It was some pretty tricky construction for something that looks so simple, but that's always how it works. The aprons are double mortise and tenoned (which was probably really overkill, but couldn't make the mortises very deep because of the mitered cheeks) into the legs, and then there is a floating panel screwed to a frame underneath to keep everything flat. Added some beefy corner blocks with a hanger bolt for added overkill, I was just (probably unreasonably) worried about such a big frame without much rigidity compared to a normal table top that is screwed to the aprons and keeps it all rigid and square. Veneer might have been simpler/easier (even though veneer is never simpler or easier), but with the limed finish it would have required thick veneer and worrying about glue bleeding through the open grain.

Not my favorite color to turn white oak, but it's not bad for a contemporary look. Brushed the whoooole thing with a stiff stainless wire brush to really open up the grain so it would take the white glaze and liming wax. I really loved the look of it after the wire brushing but before stain-had a nice burnished sort of shine to it that would have looked great just with some wax.

That's some great work. Not a fan of the colour either, but the finish looks flawless.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oak is impossible to make not look like oak.

e: Which I don't mean as an insult against people who love that look, just I know I've built stuff out of oak with plans to make it look like "not oak" and even when you gently caress that up six different ways and paint it black, it still looks like oak.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 19, 2018

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

My wife would love this table exactly like you've finished it. I wouldn't care for that finish myself. The construction is beautiful. There's nothing wrong with oak looking like oak, but I always smile when people do such contemporary things with it. It just doesn't want to be contemporary.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

"You Maniacs! You dyed it! Ah, drat you! God drat you all to hell!"

Really nice work, just not a fan of the colour either

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

melon cat posted:

Imagine my luck when getting a response to this question. Thanks, Prof MicroBio.

:hfive:

Just here to help

Edit: biggest risk is skin contact and ingestion or inhalation of the dry pathogen containing material. If you're wearing gloves and a decent facemask and wet everything down with lysol first it will keep it from getting up into the air really and your risk of breathing it in is minimal. Lysol is a great contact disinfectant and it should be more than adequate for that amount of material. Hanta is really rare outside of the US southwest but Leptospirosis can pop up anywhere in rodent urine.

Just wash up well with soap and water and bag up all the wipe down materials after and you'll be alright.

That Works fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 19, 2018

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I was real worried about those legs until I read beefy corner blocks with a hanger bolt. Very naice. That's real class work, drat the oakhaters. But, I agree, white oak is a noble wood on its own.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

melon cat posted:

That's really pretty lumber. I've seen it before, but I'm drawing a blank now. Any idea what it is? Also are you sure it's rsad, not rsnd rodent poo poo a defect- a play on wormholes no defect whnd, which is a true thing in lumber judging?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like really figured wood, including blotchy stuff, over oak.

The 90s cabinet look here in Vegas that heavily leaned on the GOLDEN OAK look and all the cover ups are full of grain too.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My 2002 house has the EXTREME honey oak cabinets in the kitchen and the EXACT same color floor. Whoever picked it deserves a kick in the rear end. It's awful but my only option is painting like, 17 prefab cabinet boxes and I don't hate it that bad.

My wife probably does, though, so it's getting done eventually. So my dislike for finished oak at least comes honest. It does look really nice natural, though.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

I was real worried about those legs until I read beefy corner blocks with a hanger bolt. Very naice. That's real class work, drat the oakhaters. But, I agree, white oak is a noble wood on its own.
I’m glad someone else worried about the legs too. It felt like total overkill adding the corner blocks/bolts because it was super solid glued up (the mitered cheek on the face was a tight fit to the leg and acted as basically an oversized half tenon so there was tons of glue area) but I’d always rather take an extra hour to cover my rear end than have to fix a broken leg.

Jhet posted:

My wife would love this table exactly like you've finished it. I wouldn't care for that finish myself. The construction is beautiful. There's nothing wrong with oak looking like oak, but I always smile when people do such contemporary things with it. It just doesn't want to be contemporary.
I’m normally definitely in the plain oak or good English brown oak color camp myself, but I do what I’m told. I’ve always thought of oak as a very honest sort of wood-it’s as strong as it looks and it ought to just get a plain, simple finish.

Honey colored walnut was the hot wood with decorators for a while (and still is) but distressed/cerused/bleached oak is definitely having a moment right now-I blame Scandinavian grey minimalism. Not what I’d want in my house, but it’s fun to do something different every now and then.

Nobody seems to want mahogany any more which is a shame. It’s my favorite wood to work with, to finish, and to look at by far. I can’t wait until all this industrial/minimal/Pottery Barn/Restoration Hardware/shabby poo poo goes out of style and traditional neo-classical revival Good Taste returns and I can get back to making 4-poster beds all day.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

B but I want to spend $10k for something that looks like it was made out of pallets

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Nobody seems to want mahogany any more which is a shame. It’s my favorite wood to work with, to finish, and to look at by far. I can’t wait until all this industrial/minimal/Pottery Barn/Restoration Hardware/shabby poo poo goes out of style and traditional neo-classical revival Good Taste returns and I can get back to making 4-poster beds all day.

It's funny you say that, because I'm working up the courage and ability to tackle making a pair of mahogany slat benches. They're based on a 1940's Brazilian modernist design, concurrent to the Nelson platform bench, but with thicker slats and 2 solid legs holding the slats with box joints basically. Mahogany and maple are really what I love in furniture.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I'd like some perspectives on starting this hobby later in life.

For some reason, I have this image of the average woodworker starting in their teens or very early 20s, already having well over a decade of knowledge by the time they reach my ripe old age of 34. I guess this says a lot about me, but it feels like I'm past my prime for learning a new skill. My wife is a therapist and keeps telling me that that's dumb, and I mean she's right.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The average age of a woodworker is 107 years old.

My dude, 34 is young as poo poo.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
Yeah who gives a poo poo man. I started very recently at 37. This motivated my dad to start as well and we spend more time on the weekends together doing projects. Just do itttttt

cyxx fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 20, 2018

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Target Practice posted:

For some reason, I have this image of the average woodworker starting in their teens or very early 20s, already having well over a decade of knowledge by the time they reach my ripe old age of 34. I guess this says a lot about me, but it feels like I'm past my prime for learning a new skill. My wife is a therapist and keeps telling me that that's dumb, and I mean she's right.

While I'm sure plenty of woodworkers got started when their pop handed them the keys to their very own radial arm saw at the tender age of three, there's a vastly greater number who only started getting into this from a hobby standpoint when their available income allowed them to start buying tools and have a space to put them. Now, depending on several factors that could be as young as late-teens/early-20s, but for many of us income and residential stability only started happening in our late-20s or even mid- to late-30s.

I'm 34, too, and although I've been interested in woodworking since I was a kid (I watched New Yankee Workshop and Woodwright's Shop on Saturday mornings rather than cartoons because I'm loving weird), it's only in the last couple years that I've been able to actually start doing any "real" woodworking.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Magnus Praeda posted:

I'm 34, too, and although I've been interested in woodworking since I was a kid (I watched New Yankee Workshop and Woodwright's Shop on Saturday mornings rather than cartoons because I'm loving weird), it's only in the last couple years that I've been able to actually start doing any "real" woodworking.

Not weird! It takes a lot of stability and space to get going, and 90% of people don't get that until you level up to 'dad with house'. You'd be surprised how many folks are right there with you in both age and long-term PBS Wood Dork crushes. That's the good poo poo, man.
On a related note, I recently moved to a smallish town in Massachusetts and just learned (after some research to verify what sounded like a bullshit story from my neighbor) that I live two blocks from where Norm grew up and graduated high school. My kids are getting bored of me loudly asking 'WHOSE HOUSE IS THAT?!?' every time we drive by it on the way to school. :)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Target Practice posted:

Youtube alone can help you skip 2-3 years of wasteful "intro hell". This thread is good for just as much if you're specific in your questions.

Pro tip: Try not to lean heavily on Peter Seller's channel until you've got a few dozen projects under your belt. He does a lot of stuff in a way that is unnecessarily complicated at times.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm 43 and I just started doing my second real woodworking project ever, last year. It is never, never too late to start learning a skill.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Blistex posted:

Pro tip: Try not to lean heavily on Peter Seller's channel until you've got a few dozen projects under your belt. He does a lot of stuff in a way that is unnecessarily complicated at times.

But for some weird reason it doesn't ever look hard when he's doing it, the prick... I'd bet hard cash his plane restoration/tuning videos are 90% CGI.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

But for some weird reason it doesn't ever look hard when he's doing it, the prick... I'd bet hard cash his plane restoration/tuning videos are 90% CGI.

I think it was this thread where someone did an effort post on all the questionable poo poo he demonstrates that only works well and safely because he has ungodly amounts of practice and skill.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

That absolutely rings a bell, yeah. "Hi, I'm Stephen Hawking, and this is the first part of my 8-part series on how to properly write the number four. Firstly,"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

That absolutely rings a bell, yeah. "Hi, I'm Stephen Hawking, and this is the first part of my 8-part series on how to properly write the number four. Firstly,"

"Step one, ask someone with fine motor skills to write it for you."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Blistex posted:

"Step one, ask someone with fine motor skills to write it for you."

Lmao.

Also I started woodworking a year ago at 38. Built my workbench and a couple simple but now in use pieces of furniture.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

More babby's first cutting boards.

I didn't think this pattern was going to work out as well until I laid it out, then the 3d effect just popped. I can't wait until the first coat of oil.

This one is for my mom for Christmas. Birch, Purpleheart, Walnut and Cherry

Huxley posted:

Test scraps first with whatever finish you are planning on. Wood does funny stuff once you start rubbing oil on it and it may turn out fine. Especially oak, which can get trippy finished anyway.
You were right about this, by the way. Also I found the reciept, it wasn't oak it was cherry.

Here it is before the final sanding and polish, I don't think I took a picture when it was done.

Edit: I Also just started doing this recently, I'm 38.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 20, 2018

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My local woodcraft had a pile of mystery off cuts for sale at $2 a pound and I got a couple to see how they would carve. Cut like butter, pretty sure they're mahogany. So now I have three 3/4" ~5x20 toys that I may not do anything with, and need to go back and buy them out.

tldr if mahogany wants to stay cheap I'm cool with that

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I grew up with a dad who did lots of really nice woodworking stuff, real jack of all trades type, but he was a total prick so while I respected his skills and wanted to learn to do the same, I didn’t want to spend any time with him because he was and continues to be awful to be around.

So I finally got into woodworking at 28 and it’s been a pretty chill adventure even if most of what I’ve done is just plywood work. Despite having the money to do so, I’m terrified of buying nice pieces of wood and ruining them and wasting money.

But poo poo dude go fuckin check out your local hackerspace and take a class or two and see if it’s for you.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm 43 and I just started doing my second real woodworking project ever, last year. It is never, never too late to start learning a skill.

This. 42 here and I started about 2 years ago just after we bought a house and I started to have to get handy.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
After Jennie Alexander passed, her estate did a sell off from her library and I spotted this book in a pile. I picked it up on Amazon for about $6.

https://www.amazon.com/Pine-Furniture-Early-New-England/dp/0486201457

It's really touched my heart and made me feel more comfortable with my work. I'm a pretty bad woodworker, I've never cut a decent dovetail and none of my joints ever match up perfectly. I close gaps with filler and paint almost everything I build.

But you know what, the people making the furniture in that book made functional things to live with out of what they got their hands on cheaply, and if they could take pride in their work, so can I. There is some beautiful, ornamental work in it but also a lot of things that just aren't.

My daughters have good, solid beds and nightstands. The bookcases I've built to fit very specific spaces are never falling over. The table top I made to replace the one from wayfair that fell apart is flat and sturdy and indestructible. And so on.

There's never a bad time to get to work. Even mediocre work.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 20, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's never too old to learn a new skill, maybe unless that skill is gymnastics.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's never too old to learn a new skill, maybe unless that skill is gymnastics.

My girls both started gymnastics this year, and I asked about adult classes and they looked at me like I was nuts. I would be much better at gymnastics than I am at woodworking.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Target Practice posted:

2010 was a worse than normal year to graduate college with a degree in set design and art history, and so I was at home just looking for a job. The stars aligned and a family friend introduced me to a local custom furniture guy and I worked there for 7 years. He’s retired now and I’ve just recently started doing my own thing. I’m 30 now and I’ve been making/repairing/refinishing furniture 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year for the past 8 years and I still learn something new every day. I think I’m one of the few woodworkers who really enjoys finishing, and there is always a ton to learn and experiment with in that regard. There’s so much information readily available now on YouTube and the internet in general that there’s never been a better a better time to learn something new. Instead of spending all day trying to figure it out through trial and error you can just watch a very helpful video. The actual manual skill and coordination takes some time and practice to learn like anything else, and the only way to learn that is to do it. You’ll pick it up fairly quickly.

I don’t know about the YouTube woodworking stars du jour but Roy Underhill never gets enough love. That guy knows more stuff about more stuff than just about anyone and you can watch like 10 years of his show for free on the PBS website.

AFewBricksShy posted:

More babby's first cutting boards.

I didn't think this pattern was going to work out as well until I laid it out, then the 3d effect just popped. I can't wait until the first coat of oil.

This one is for my mom for Christmas. Birch, Purpleheart, Walnut and Cherry

You were right about this, by the way. Also I found the reciept, it wasn't oak it was cherry.

Here it is before the final sanding and polish, I don't think I took a picture when it was done.

Edit: I Also just started doing this recently, I'm 38.
These are awesome.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

2010 was a worse than normal year to graduate college with a degree in set design and art history, and so I was at home just looking for a job. The stars aligned and a family friend introduced me to a local custom furniture guy and I worked there for 7 years. He’s retired now and I’ve just recently started doing my own thing. I’m 30 now and I’ve been making/repairing/refinishing furniture 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year for the past 8 years and I still learn something new every day. I think I’m one of the few woodworkers who really enjoys finishing, and there is always a ton to learn and experiment with in that regard. There’s so much information readily available now on YouTube and the internet in general that there’s never been a better a better time to learn something new. Instead of spending all day trying to figure it out through trial and error you can just watch a very helpful video. The actual manual skill and coordination takes some time and practice to learn like anything else, and the only way to learn that is to do it. You’ll pick it up fairly quickly.

I don’t know about the YouTube woodworking stars du jour but Roy Underhill never gets enough love. That guy knows more stuff about more stuff than just about anyone and you can watch like 10 years of his show for free on the PBS website.

These are awesome.

It is interesting to see the change in Woodworking due to the internet. When I was young and first learning it was all "apprentice" style learning and very much regional. I would talk to one set of woodworkers and be shown a way to do something and then be told I am doing it wrong by another.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JEEVES420 posted:

It is interesting to see the change in Woodworking due to the internet. When I was young and first learning it was all "apprentice" style learning and very much regional. I would talk to one set of woodworkers and be shown a way to do something and then be told I am doing it wrong by another.

We're all doing it wrong. Really, it's like any hobby. It's all about perspective. I hand cut some mortise and tenons for a bench and my dad was just impressed. He wasn't sure why I would, but at least my brother wasn't confused. It's because a set of decent Irwin chisels are $20 and that routers and drills are a lot more expensive.

I got the green light yesterday to build a coffee table for the living room. I may try to pleasantly surprise my wife with wood choice (she does love her oak), instead of the fir/pine she thinks I'm going to use. Anyone have any early modern coffee table furniture that you like, or a good place for me to look to be inspired from? I don't need plans, just ideas. I may not be amazing with hand tools, but I'm good enough at drawing the design part at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Feenix posted:

This. 42 here and I started about 2 years ago just after we bought a house and I started to have to get handy.