Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

old.flv posted:

weren't you at Ralph's for a while? have you heard anything through the grapevine about him assaulting Flavio Almeida?

I was only at Ralph’s for a few months when I initially moved to San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Mekchu posted:

Edit - Kurt Osiander is coming to Korea. Has anyone done a seminar by him or anything and can speak to if I should head up to Seoul where its likely to be held?

Kurt’s cool if you don’t mind sexism and a real 1990s sort of dedication to calling everyone “gay” and “homo”

He’s a great coach, and has some of of the best fundamental jiu-jitsu on the planet, but he’s a real old school guy and it’s awfully grating

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

What the hell - Bay Jiu Jitsu shuts down for "winter break""?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Count Roland posted:

You have a coach who is actively interested in promoting you. He's trying to figure out how to do it while maintaining his (clearly very high) standards. He's communicating this to you, and giving you advice and metrics to help you.

I appreciate this post, and the message my coach sent, and I feel pretty good about it. I just needed a couple of days for the initial disappointment to wear off. I’m going to pick a few competitions this year, take them seriously, diet down to a better weight class, and cover my body in gold medals, rendering myself invulnerable like smaug

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

heeebrew posted:

What the hell - Bay Jiu Jitsu shuts down for "winter break""?

The War on Christmas rages on...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

omg chael crash posted:

Kurt’s cool if you don’t mind sexism and a real 1990s sort of dedication to calling everyone “gay” and “homo”

He’s a great coach, and has some of of the best fundamental jiu-jitsu on the planet, but he’s a real old school guy and it’s awfully grating

While a shame to hear (and not that shocking given his general persona, age, etc.) I think I can stand it for an hour or so.

It'd be a weekend trip up to Seoul it seems which isn't too bad because I could swing by my old gym up there for a weekend class.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

omg chael crash posted:

Don't forget his liberal use of other homophobic slurs and saying he would throw people out of his gym if he finds out they're LGBT.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
homophobia in jiu jitsu is weird

If you are not comfortable with your sexuality and have gay panic issues don't master an art that is 70% putting someones balls against someone else's face

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

Don't forget his liberal use of other homophobic slurs and saying he would throw people out of his gym if he finds out they're LGBT.

Oh, yeah. I was trying to be kind of funny but he's a real loving piece of garbage.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
dude looks like a bassist from a grunge band that got bitten by a werewolf, he doesn't have to worry about a gay dude getting aroused by rolling with him

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
He's a horrid arsehole

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Kurt owns

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/a7ljn0/i_grabbed_the_instructors_dick/

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It's a tradition at our school where instead of shaking hands or bumping fists before a roll we grab each other by the dick so that we get it over with and make it less awkward

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've gotten two accidental fondlings already, both when someone is on their back and reaching for an underhook on my leg. Its actually notable to me how non sexual Jiu Jitsu has felt - intimate yes, but not at all sexual. I guess all full contact combat sports are like that once you're actually doing them.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 20, 2018

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah its not sexual at all unless you think being killed is sexy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spb posted:

Yeah its not sexual at all unless you think being killed is sexy

Dont kinkshame

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That's the first thing everyone notices is how IDK ordinary it becomes to grope and grab all up on each other.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I think that's probably what makes grappling not much bigger than it is. We never ever get that close to people and there's a bunch of taboo's and whatnot. When you've been doing it for a while it just seems so dumb and immature, but I can sort of see how gay it looks from an outsiders perspective

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Do BJJ places haze very often? Is that what this is? It just got uploaded a couple of days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IorCwzfYk2s

At my gym you have to roll with everyone who shows up to a class when you get promoted. But it's a fun thing.

Someone wrote an article on the gym where this happened: https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/disturbing-video-exposes-gym-abuse-of-unconscious-student-at-evolution-gym/

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 20, 2018

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

KingColliwog posted:

I think that's probably what makes grappling not much bigger than it is.

nah i think it's a rigid adherence to an unwatchable ruleset that keeps it on the fringes. we need an ebi ruleset ultimate fighter to bring it to the masses.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Do BJJ places haze very often? Is that what this is? It just got uploaded a couple of days ago.

I've heard vague stories about the bad old days with the first instructors in the states, specifically Atlanta, doing really lovely things to their students, but I think this level of crap is kept out of here or relegated to the super old school gyms.

Marching Powder posted:

nah i think it's a rigid adherence to an unwatchable ruleset that keeps it on the fringes. we need an ebi ruleset ultimate fighter to bring it to the masses.

I agree, but I honestly think if quintet was able to get Joe Rogan to do their play by play or someone good and charismatic it would be that show.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 20, 2018

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

At my gym you have to roll with everyone who shows up to a class when you get promoted. But it's a fun thing.

Someone wrote an article on the gym where this happened: https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/disturbing-video-exposes-gym-abuse-of-unconscious-student-at-evolution-gym/

We do belt whips

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

spacetoaster posted:

Shark tanks are pretty common around promotions/special events and are basically hazing if we're all being honest with ourselves, but they're still contextually relevant and usually done to push someone to the edge of their limits *but not further*. Belt whipping gauntlets also seem to be kinda common, and they don't really have anything to do with BJJ, but whatever. I've also seen some promotion ceremonies where someone's instructor chokes them unconscious as a ritualistic thing, which is... weird.

Holding a choke a full six seconds after someone clearly taps isn't just hazing, it's assault.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The shark tank is the perfect level of hazing. You get to see a person pushed to the limits of what they're capable of within the scope of the sport, people who usually wouldn't be able to tap you get a crack at you when you're super tired, which makes it kind of humbling, but it's also bonding through shared stress or whatever. I think the fact that you're hazed in BJJ by doing BJJ makes a lot of the negative aspects of hazing seem forgivable. It's not a separate ritual.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Absolutely agree, that's what I was getting at with "contextually appropriate". Everyone I know who did a shark tank for a promotion has fond memories of it, myself included, and that's not just the latent masochism of coming back day after day to get beat up that's an intrinsic part of the hobby.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nestharken posted:

Shark tanks are pretty common around promotions/special events and are basically hazing if we're all being honest with ourselves, but they're still contextually relevant and usually done to push someone to the edge of their limits *but not further*. Belt whipping gauntlets also seem to be kinda common, and they don't really have anything to do with BJJ, but whatever. I've also seen some promotion ceremonies where someone's instructor chokes them unconscious as a ritualistic thing, which is... weird.

Holding a choke a full six seconds after someone clearly taps isn't just hazing, it's assault.

Yeah, that video was pretty disturbing and it was assault. I don't know what the laws are in brazil though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

I agree, but I honestly think if quintet was able to get Joe Rogan to do their play by play or someone good and charismatic it would be that show.

Jimmy Smith's UFC contract has ended and he is a free agent at the moment.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hazing for a belt is still as equally stupid as hazing high school kids to show how tough they are in an after school sport.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Got babbys first popped rib this morning. gently caress this is uncomfortable.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

If my gym did anything even close to that I would not be back the next day

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

butros posted:

Got babbys first popped rib this morning. gently caress this is uncomfortable.

I popped the cartilage around my ribs once. It was awful, especially when coughing or laughing, that was agony.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I don't think I've trained anywhere with organized hazing but I've had stuff like getting hog tied with my new blue belt by the assistant instructor. Or just getting absolutely tooled in a roll by a coach before a stripe.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I saw a shark tank at my gym when someone got their blue belt, but it was good natured and the 20ish year old kid had specifically asked for it; it was a lot of fun and no one got hurt. From my perspective it was very cool getting to roll with him when he has already 6+ rounds in, I got to watc him assume a survival position for a minute or two, using the roll with a no stripe white belt as basically a break. It was a demonstration of exactly what I was trying to learn from Jiu Jitsu University, done much better than I could.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mekchu posted:

I popped the cartilage around my ribs once. It was awful, especially when coughing or laughing, that was agony.

Yup pretty much. Also I just discovered pooping isn’t a great time.

How long did it take you to come back? I’m basically off for the holidays until early January anyways so am thinking two weeks of RICE and then come back in slowly drilling only for a week or two before adding in rolling with trusted partners only?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah I honestly dont see a shark tank as hazing

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

butros posted:

Yup pretty much. Also I just discovered pooping isn’t a great time.

How long did it take you to come back? I’m basically off for the holidays until early January anyways so am thinking two weeks of RICE and then come back in slowly drilling only for a week or two before adding in rolling with trusted partners only?

I took two weeks off and came back into rolling very slowly, probably could have used more time off.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is there a polite way to say you don't want to roll with a person in a class?

Should you just say something like: "I'm sitting this one out." or something?

My daughter just turned 13, with is when you move into the adult classes at our gym. She's super nervous and I'm trying to tell her it's gonna be fine and she doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to.

The blackbelt who runs the particular class she's going to says there are other teens there, but she's worried they won't be there and she'll have to roll with some giant, sweaty, 50 year old man or something.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

My daughter just turned 13, with is when you move into the adult classes at our gym. She's super nervous and I'm trying to tell her it's gonna be fine and she doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to.

The blackbelt who runs the particular class she's going to says there are other teens there, but she's worried they won't be there and she'll have to roll with some giant, sweaty, 50 year old man or something.

If it's a 13 year old girl just have her tell the dude "I'm not comfortable with that yet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah that's totally fine. I say "I'm good, too much of a size difference" all the time and nobody's feelings get hurt, other than my own for having to face the reality of being a tiny baby man